Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/3/2014 5:28:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: DevildogFF
Your marketing strategy is CRAP, Matrix. Why haven't we heard a FREAKING THING about Universe?

If it weren't for Distant Worlds being really good, I would write you off. Why must we pry and pry!?

Because we're not ready yet - I understand the anticipation is hard from where you are sitting, but you wouldn't be happy if we released more information before we were ready. We will give enough notice and preview information before the release to make sure everyone is informed about it.

With that said, I'm not our marketing department but I do see from this side what's going on and they are not sitting on their hands, they are getting ready for the various announcements and other PR related to this release.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/3/2014 6:29:59 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to DevildogFF)
Post #: 91
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/3/2014 5:32:58 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

While I mostly agree, they could still have a Teaser screen shot of something. New tool, new Government type, tech tree modded, most anything.

I have seen many other Developers drop an un-commented Screenshot just to spark discussion which in turn sparks enthusiasm. For Example; Just a screen shot of a tech tree with Rail Guns renamed Tom's Spitballs. Silly, but it would demonstrate a capability without giving away the full depth of the changes possible or the tools used.

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 92
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/3/2014 5:35:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sure, I'd love to oblige but I'm under strict orders to keep the lid on until they are ready. I'll see if I can get that lid to open a little bit though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 93
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/3/2014 8:03:03 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Sure, I'd love to oblige but I'm under strict orders to keep the lid on until they are ready. I'll see if I can get that lid to open a little bit though.

Can you guys consider a contest of some kind like we had for Return where we did monsters/creatures?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 94
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/3/2014 11:29:24 PM   
Spidey

quote:

Because we're not ready yet - I understand the anticipation is hard from where you are sitting, but you wouldn't be happy if we released more information before we were ready.

So Q1 is hanging in a thread, I take it? Well, if it takes a bit longer then it takes a bit longer, but some vague hints of info "leaking out" wouldn't hurt, would it? I know it's not your call, but maybe you could tell those stiffs in marketing that if they'd like some positive words for a change then all they have to do is start giving us *something*. A few screendumps, a pic of a new galaxy shape, or maybe a couple of bulletpoints. It doesn't have to be big, just something semi-official that tells us Universe isn't a figment of our imagination.

Post #: 95
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 2:15:00 AM   
Cauldyth

My guess is that for Matrix to get whatever coverage they're trying to get by the gaming sites, they must offer those sites exclusive first looks. If they leak the "official" information early, then it's no longer exclusive, and those sites have much less interest in covering it.

Just a guess though.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 96
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 8:14:21 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
they must offer those sites exclusive first looks

How can they offer "exclusive first looks" to multiple recipients? That's like saying it's your local sofa store's "one-time weekly sale".

Or are you using some other definition of "exclusive"?

"shutting out all others from a part or share: an exclusive right to film the novel."

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 97
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 8:28:56 AM   
feygan

quote:

Because we're not ready yet - I understand the anticipation is hard from where you are sitting, but you wouldn't be happy if we released more information before we were ready. We will give enough notice and preview information before the release to make sure everyone is informed about it.

With that said, I'm not our marketing department but I do see from this side what's going on and they are not sitting on their hands, they are getting ready for the various announcements and other PR related to this release.

Regards,

- Erik

I have to call a large amount of bs on this. The expansion has been set for a Q1 release so far, and as we all know DW is essentially a one man show. With this in mind and taking your statement to be true you have to question if the dev knows their job or not?

Ask any trades person or professional worker to give you an estimate on a job completion time and good ones will do so, it may vary by a small percentage but other than unforseen major problems it will be pretty accurate.

Taking this fact into account you now have a clear set of issues with the new expansion marketing, either the dev hasn't got a clue and picked an arbitrary date, or they have come up on some unexpected problem, or information is being kept from release by either a deliberate act or incompetence of the marketing department.

Having followed DW from it's first release I find it extremely difficult to accept that the dev doesn't know what he is doing, this game started with many issues but he has shown both quick action and skill in dealing with them. In addition this makes me believe that with only a couple of months to go the expansion simply cannot be at a stage where the dev is sitting about making planning ideas of features to introduce or not, thus meaning everything is fairly well set on what can and can't be done and how they are implemented.

So that leaves either a major road block or bad strategy, a road block is fine we all have them in our work life and if it means the release will be delayed that too is fine if you are at least honest about it. Nothing and I honestly mean NOTHING is worse than a worker telling you a deadline then a suddenly dropping a bomb that it will not happen on the brink of said deadline. It just implies a combination of imcopetence and dishonesty. Or finally we have the issue of marketing that either your pr group don't know how to do their job properly and are not in tune with current trends and strategy. Or they believe that witholding certain information will create extra hype and demand, both of these have been proven to fail time and time again recently in the gaming industry.

So can we please just have some flat out honesty instead of all this spin wording, what is the story with DW:U that seems to have gone very silent for no reason.

Has the dev made a monumental mistake and overestimated their ability?
Has the dev hit a roadblock that will push back the release date?
Do Matrix Games marketing department have no clue about pr strategy in the gaming market?
Has Matrix Games got some grand plan designed to increase demand and hype?

If none of these four questions can be answered with a simple honest yes or no then it will leave me thinking the 3/4 options are true and as such will dictate how I inform others about Matrix Games.

Of course I may well have simply missed a possible outcome of things and if anyone can suggest other alternatives I would love to see them.

Post #: 98
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 8:57:51 AM   
hewwo

pfffffff guys... it's ready when it's ready.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 99
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 9:53:24 AM   
Icemania

I'll be the optimist.

Matrix Marketing has noted that they are historically vastly behind their 4X competitors in raising awareness for their product. They have asked themselves if now is the right time to raise that awareness more broadly and have long since concluded that Yes Indeed ... the Distant Worlds product is now mature enough.

Matrix Marketing has carefully considered and selected Game Review sites by checking the fairness of reviews of their 4X competitors and their market penetration. As we speak they have started approaching that shortlist to promote reviews of Distant Worlds Universe.

In the same way Matrix Marketing has carefully considered and selected social media options to approach. They realised that while Das's Let's Plays are fantastic, other options like Total Biscuit will reach an audience far more than an order of magnitude larger. They have again selected those that are likely to provide fair and reasonable reviews e.g. Stardrive TotalBiscuit Review

They also know that their community are prepared to help share the Distant Worlds Gospel around the web. As a result in the lead up to release they have prepared a constant trickle of carefully selected teasers to publish both on their Forums and at those selected Gaming sites. Those teasers have been designed to be "thought provoking and to elicit a response" as one of my most esteemed forum colleagues here once suggested.

All this said they know that Distant Worlds cannot be safety released with significant bugs and survive broader scrutiny. So they have invested in extra resources to ensure a high quality release.

I can't wait for the next month ... it's going to be awesome!!!

< Message edited by Icemania -- 3/4/2014 10:54:12 AM >

Post #: 100
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 10:38:42 AM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

they must offer those sites exclusive first looks

How can they offer "exclusive first looks" to multiple recipients? That's like saying it's your local sofa store's "one-time weekly sale".

Or are you using some other definition of "exclusive"?

"shutting out all others from a part or share: an exclusive right to film the novel."

I guess you could give an exclusive first look to a defined 'set' of gaming sites. But in general it seems that 'exclusive' is one of those terms like 'free' or 'for a limited time only', which never seem to mean what you expect it to.

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan
I have to call a large amount of bs on this.

Calling BS is always a choice ...

< Message edited by Osito -- 3/4/2014 11:39:12 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 101
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 11:15:52 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito
I guess you could give an exclusive first look to a defined 'set' of gaming sites. But in general it seems that 'exclusive' is one of those terms like 'free' or 'for a limited time only', which never seem to mean what you expect it to.

If that's the case, then the sites should be exclusive - such that "exclusive sites should be given [early] first-look access". He's mistaken in applying exclusive to the "first look" instead of the sites.

He's using definition #4, instead of #5.
4. shutting out all others from a part or share: an exclusive right to film the novel.
5. fashionable; stylish: to patronize only the most exclusive designers.

Bad English, imo. Maybe it's not his native language.

*edit*
I think he meant to write, "exclusive [first-look] access should be given to selected sites".
And yes, the grammar police are on patrol.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 3/4/2014 1:13:45 PM >

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 102
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 12:30:22 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

The expansion has been set for a Q1 release so far

Given that the game doesn't even have a product page in the Coming Soon section of Matrix's website, I'm not sure how official that Q1 date is. As far as I know, it only comes from forum posts and Space Sector's article saying that it's scheduled for March.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 103
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 12:48:40 PM   
Osito

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

If that's the case, then the sites should be exclusive - such that "exclusive sites should be given [early] first-look access". He's mistaken in applying exclusive to the "first look" instead of the sites.

He's using definition #4, instead of #5.
4. shutting out all others from a part or share: an exclusive right to film the novel.
5. fashionable; stylish: to patronize only the most exclusive designers.

Bad English, imo. Maybe it's not his native language.

*edit*
I think he meant to write, "exclusive [first-look] access should be given to selected sites".
And yes, the grammar police are on patrol.

Haha, actually I didn't get your point first time round. Gonna be a long day. While the grammar police are out, they could set their dogs on the inadvertent grammar error in my own post. (I can't correct it now you've quoted it.)

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 104
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 1:17:53 PM   
feygan

quote:

quote:

The expansion has been set for a Q1 release so far

Given that the game doesn't even have a product page in the Coming Soon section of Matrix's website, I'm not sure how official that Q1 date is. As far as I know, it only comes from forum posts and Space Sector's article saying that it's scheduled for March.

The space sector interview does not say if it was just Matrix Games or the game dev that was being interviewed. But either way having a game dev or a game publishers telling you a game is "scheduled to release in march" to me sounds like a concrete statement that allows me to make statements such as "The expansion has been set for a Q1 release so far" with 100% accuracy.

If this is not the case then that only leaves the option of Space Sector making up information for their own articles which I doubt is the case.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 105
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 2:30:13 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

... sounds like a concrete statement that allows me to make statements such as "The expansion has been set for a Q1 release so far" with 100% accuracy.

If this is not the case then that only leaves the option of Space Sector making up information for their own articles which I doubt is the case.

Or perhaps a another option: it slipped. Release date was moved since Adam's article.

It does happen.

I think Erik's lack of stating a release date publicly is an indication that things aren't going quite as smoothly as they'd hoped.

It's done when it's done. I'd rather it be released when they're happy with it, than a premature release that's buggy and completely worthless.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 3/4/2014 3:34:23 PM >

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 106
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 3:08:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

We're no longer aiming for the end of March, but we are close. Delays can arise for many reasons - development, art, marketing time, etc. I can't say more right now, but as soon as possible we'll share more information with you all.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 107
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 3:23:55 PM   
Cauldyth

We're all hoping that the lower cost of entry that will accompany Universe will bring an influx of new players, so best to have it as polished as possible. Take your time.

Post #: 108
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 5:01:18 PM   
feygan

quote:

quote:

... sounds like a concrete statement that allows me to make statements such as "The expansion has been set for a Q1 release so far" with 100% accuracy.

Or perhaps a another option: it slipped. Release date was moved since Adam's article.

It does happen.

I think Erik's lack of stating a release date publicly is an indication that things aren't going quite as smoothly as they'd hoped.

It's done when it's done. I'd rather it be released when they're happy with it, than a premature release that's buggy and completely worthless.

I completely agree with you there, however that then opens up a huge problem. It opens to door then for questions such as:

Is the dev/publisher so lacking in their basic job skills that they could not forsee such problems as they begin to arise and calculate them into how it effects the completion date?
Has the dev/publisher known about said issues and how they will effect the date, but chosen to with hold such information until as late as possible for fear it could impact sales.

The first implies incompetence and the second dishonesty, both negative traits that have no place in business.

Seeing as we just had a post from Erik regarding the now known delays things start smelling fishy. No professional of any kind who embarks on a six month or longer project would only discover problems that large a mere couple of weeks (at best) before the said project is due completion, it would simply demean their own abilities. Had Matrix Games come out last month or whenever they even suspected a delay and told potential customers they would of looked proactive and upfront. Now it makes them look reactive and backed into a corner.

I only wonder how long they would of kept a lid on these "new" delays had this thread not been going on with folks bashing the publishers for their strategies. Granted it could be concluded I am being impatient and somewhat petulant thinking I have a right to this game, that is not the case. I don't care if it takes three years to develop and release in a well made manner. However if anyone chooses to enter a rough and cut throat business market then they should expect to be held to the highest standard by their customers and peers, anything even fractionally less is not good enough and belongs in the hobby corner.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 109
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 5:12:21 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

quote:

quote:

It does happen.

I completely agree with you there, however that then opens up a huge problem. It opens to door then for questions such as:

Is the dev/publisher so lacking in their basic job skills that they could not forsee such problems as they begin to arise and calculate them into how it effects the completion date?
Has the dev/publisher known about said issues and how they will effect the date, but chosen to with hold such information until as late as possible for fear it could impact sales.

The first implies incompetence and the second dishonesty, both negative traits that have no place in business.

Seeing as we just had a post from Erik regarding the now known delays things start smelling fishy. No professional of any kind who embarks on a six month or longer project would only discover problems that large a mere couple of weeks (at best) before the said project is due completion, it would simply demean their own abilities. Had Matrix Games come out last month or whenever they even suspected a delay and told potential customers they would of looked proactive and upfront. Now it makes them look reactive and backed into a corner.

I only wonder how long they would of kept a lid on these "new" delays had this thread not been going on with folks bashing the publishers for their strategies. Granted it could be concluded I am being impatient and somewhat petulant thinking I have a right to this game, that is not the case. I don't care if it takes three years to develop and release in a well made manner. However if anyone chooses to enter a rough and cut throat business market then they should expect to be held to the highest standard by their customers and peers, anything even fractionally less is not good enough and belongs in the hobby corner.

Game development is not like other software development (which, it needs to be said, is almost always late anyway). While not being privy to the details of DW delay it's incredibly common for games to be delayed at what appears to be the last minute. Implying incompetence, malice, subterfuge (or all three) is not warranted.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 110
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 6:01:31 PM   
DasTactic

You only get one chance to launch - especially as the game sounds like it will be more accessible price-wise to a larger audience. So keep polishing away and get it as solid as possible. :) The wait will be worth it. :)

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 111
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 7:22:36 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine
Game development is not like other software development (which, it needs to be said, is almost always late anyway). While not being privy to the details of DW delay it's incredibly common for games to be delayed at what appears to be the last minute. Implying incompetence, malice, subterfuge (or all three) is not warranted.

Yeah, a game isn't going to ship on time... unprecedented!

Post #: 112
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 7:28:29 PM   
feygan

quote:

Cheers

Pip

In what way is video game development any different from any other technical process that gives it a special exemption from outside criticism of the process? While the fine details of any trade can be simple or complex the basic route of any product is a basic and simple one.

1.You have an idea.
2.You rough out the basics of how the idea will come to being, and develop method or technology that may be required.
3.All the pitching and funding parts (I will skip most of the details for sake of saving my keyboard)
4.You begin the actual design parts and start to compose them into something that resembles a product.
5.You put a prototype version of the product out for testing to a select group.
6.After feedback you rectify any problems raised in the testing stage.
7.You test again
8.You put out a finished product (assuming your testing has resolved all issues).

There really is nothing else to it and any successful and established business will tell you that. If the expansion was due to be released at the end of March then by mid March it would of likely been finished and ready for mass manufacture and stocking. So if in the middle of the first week of March, a problem arises that pushes back the release. You have only a number of scenarios.

1. The developer lacked the ability to design a product without a serious flaw.
2. The testing period was either inadequate in size/time or feedback was ignored thus causing a failure in the product.
3. The distributor of the product placed an unrealistic time constraint on the developer making a timely delivery impossible.
4. The distributor knew of a problem prior to now but chose to not disclose it for their own reasons.

There simply is no other options if a good practice model was followed you can only have a set number of possible failure points.

I do not know the role any of the forum moderators hold within the Matrix company structure other than as forum moderators, as such I do not expect them to be fountains of knowledge on Matrix Games products. But if the potential customers of a company are asking for information then surely you would be banging on the doors of your respective company contacts for such information. So far it has been the same old sales pitch line about "unforseen delays, these things are common" and so on. We live in an age where single person companies are springing up all the time, and with kickstarters all over customers are getting to see real insight into development.

Spend five minutes on any indie game forum and the developer will be littering it with updates on what they have added, what bugs have been quashed, and what new problems have suddenly demolished six months of their work life. Also these projects never get complaints regarding marketing or time delays, this is because they bother to inform. I understand the dw developer likely cannot spend their time on this forum posting (we would rather they were coding our new shiny expansion). But Matrix Games does have at least one person in their marketing and sales department I am sure. Having regular contact with their game makers and then using an intermediary to inform and communicate in total honesty about products surely cannot be that hard? After all they already have someone spending time posting facebooks, tweets and youtubes.

These are the reasons for comments such as earlier in this thread "Your marketing strategy is CRAP, Matrix. Why haven't we heard a FREAKING THING about Universe?" That right there should be a giant red alarm the company is doing something wrong. That person probably doesn't care if the expansion is delayed or not but they do care that a company refuses to offer any information as to upcoming delays or even communicate.

To say it is unwarranted of me to accuse Matrix games of either incompetence or with holding information is frail. This is a publisher with a history of taking a lot of games to market, it is not a new kid on the block. Even if they were new I would still have high expectations, I have high expectations of everyone who provides any form of paid service. If you charge for a service but cannot give the absolute best service in your industry you will get criticised for it and held to account, this is how as a company you learn from your mistakes and improve your service to be the number one there is in your industry. If that is not the goal of the company they have no business being in business.

Post #: 113
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 7:55:57 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

quote:

Cheers

Pip

In what way is video game development any different from any other technical process that gives it a special exemption from outside criticism of the process? While the fine details of any trade can be simple or complex the basic route of any product is a basic and simple one.

1.You have an idea.
2.You rough out the basics of how the idea will come to being, and develop method or technology that may be required.
3.All the pitching and funding parts (I will skip most of the details for sake of saving my keyboard)
4.You begin the actual design parts and start to compose them into something that resembles a product.
5.You put a prototype version of the product out for testing to a select group.
6.After feedback you rectify any problems raised in the testing stage.
7.You test again
8.You put out a finished product (assuming your testing has resolved all issues).

There really is nothing else to it and any successful and established business will tell you that. If the expansion was due to be released at the end of March then by mid March it would of likely been finished and ready for mass manufacture and stocking. So if in the middle of the first week of March, a problem arises that pushes back the release. You have only a number of scenarios.

1. The developer lacked the ability to design a product without a serious flaw.
2. The testing period was either inadequate in size/time or feedback was ignored thus causing a failure in the product.
3. The distributor of the product placed an unrealistic time constraint on the developer making a timely delivery impossible.
4. The distributor knew of a problem prior to now but chose to not disclose it for their own reasons.

There simply is no other options if a good practice model was followed you can only have a set number of possible failure points.

I do not know the role any of the forum moderators hold within the Matrix company structure other than as forum moderators, as such I do not expect them to be fountains of knowledge on Matrix Games products. But if the potential customers of a company are asking for information then surely you would be banging on the doors of your respective company contacts for such information. So far it has been the same old sales pitch line about "unforseen delays, these things are common" and so on. We live in an age where single person companies are springing up all the time, and with kickstarters all over customers are getting to see real insight into development.

Spend five minutes on any indie game forum and the developer will be littering it with updates on what they have added, what bugs have been quashed, and what new problems have suddenly demolished six months of their work life. Also these projects never get complaints regarding marketing or time delays, this is because they bother to inform. I understand the dw developer likely cannot spend their time on this forum posting (we would rather they were coding our new shiny expansion). But Matrix Games does have at least one person in their marketing and sales department I am sure. Having regular contact with their game makers and then using an intermediary to inform and communicate in total honesty about products surely cannot be that hard? After all they already have someone spending time posting facebooks, tweets and youtubes.

These are the reasons for comments such as earlier in this thread "Your marketing strategy is CRAP, Matrix. Why haven't we heard a FREAKING THING about Universe?" That right there should be a giant red alarm the company is doing something wrong. That person probably doesn't care if the expansion is delayed or not but they do care that a company refuses to offer any information as to upcoming delays or even communicate.

To say it is unwarranted of me to accuse Matrix games of either incompetence or with holding information is frail. This is a publisher with a history of taking a lot of games to market, it is not a new kid on the block. Even if they were new I would still have high expectations, I have high expectations of everyone who provides any form of paid service. If you charge for a service but cannot give the absolute best service in your industry you will get criticised for it and held to account, this is how as a company you learn from your mistakes and improve your service to be the number one there is in your industry. If that is not the goal of the company they have no business being in business.

We are primarily a digital business and as such we don't have months of mass manufacture or stocking. Given that games across all developers, all platforms, and all genres are more often late than not I would suggest that your assertions on how development works are perhaps a little reductive. In fact you mention Kickstarter projects - and from my reading something like 75% of all technical projects are delivered late, if at all.

I appreciate that players keen for the game may be frustrated by delays and crave more information, but often there is no definitive information to give.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 114
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 9:12:53 PM   
Ralzakark

It is ready when it is ready.

Personally, I won't loose much sleep tonight over a PC game being delivered slightly later than originally notified.

Post #: 115
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 10:15:08 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

You have only a number of scenarios.

<snip>

You've never worked in software development, have you?

If you're going to say that your 4-item list is comprehensive in explaining release date slipping - then all I can say is that you give the distinct impression of someone who's never written any software.

Reasons abound. Everything from unexpected leave/sickness, to testers discovering bugs late in the development cycle that take longer than expected (time allocated for "last minute" fixes is insufficient) to fix, to contract artists not delivering assets on time. Many reasons for which Matrix won't speak (nor any other software publisher or developer) publicly.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 116
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/4/2014 11:35:14 PM   
Cauldyth

Making a game is very different than most technical processes. There are also the issues of fun, balance, and AI. None of those can be planned and scheduled ahead of time. You'll only find out as you implement things and play the game whether or not it's working out well, or whether you need to go back and rethink things.

< Message edited by Cauldyth -- 3/5/2014 12:36:03 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 117
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/5/2014 2:04:20 AM   
Shark7

Just my $.02, but...

I'd much rather have a game's release delayed so that its ready when I get it as opposed to buying a defective product. It is far less frustrating to have to wait a few weeks longer to make the purchase than having a game I can't play that I already payed for.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 118
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/5/2014 7:03:01 AM   
hjc

I'm someone who is interested in Distant Worlds. Having skimmed through some of the threads in this forum, I'll add my (not yet paid) .02

I haven't jumped in yet because of the cost. Sure the base game is probably within reason, but then I read the descriptions and reviews of all the expansions, and the message that sticks out to me is "this expansion makes the interface much more useable and less awkward". UI improvement matters much more to me than a new race or storyline, so those are some pretty expensive patches. On the one hand it's great the dev is paying attention and seeking to improve the game but on the other, to have to pay $120 (more by the time my currency is converted) for the game "with all the improvements" without having at least played a demo is not going to happen.

Please don't think this is me saying it's not worth the money. I'm just saying I won't risk that much dough.

There is light at the end of the wormhole though, I hope the Universe bundle/wrapup is realistically priced, although seeing how Matrix pricing has been going lately, hmm. I don't mind if it takes longer to get released as long as it's done right. I'm an optimist, so I look forward to playing it and finding out what a blast the game is, and coming back here to join you all.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 119
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 3/5/2014 8:47:59 AM   
Icemania

Please take your time Matrix. Ensure this is by far the highest quality Distant Worlds release. After all you'll going need to make sure it's high quality for all of those Game Reviews coming up as part of your new and improved Marketing Strategy.

Speaking of which, whether you like it or not, you might get some broader attention regardless.

With Angry Joe expressing his apparent obsession for 4X (start 12:36), dropping by the Stardrive forums, you never know we might even see a Distant Worlds Universe Angry Joe Review (there are plenty of Space Monsters in Distant Worlds Joe). And the last thing we all want is a review like this (you only need to watch the first 15 seconds). That said, like so many others, he appears unaware that Distant Worlds even exists ...

< Message edited by Icemania -- 3/5/2014 10:13:02 AM >

(in reply to hjc)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI