Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/10/2014 7:44:03 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

No - nothing specific on camo I'm afraid - its a good book though

As I expected, but thanks for the information.

By the way, in case someone is interested, John B.Lundstrom's book, The First South Pacific Campaign: Pacific Fleet Strategy December 1941 - June 1942 will be published as paperback on March 30 - the original hardcopy, published 1977, currently sells from 110 Euros (used) up to Euro 185 (new)

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1051
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/10/2014 9:08:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

quote:

No - nothing specific on camo I'm afraid - its a good book though

As I expected, but thanks for the information.

By the way, in case someone is interested, John B.Lundstrom's book, The First South Pacific Campaign: Pacific Fleet Strategy December 1941 - June 1942 will be published as paperback on March 30 - the original hardcopy, published 1977, currently sells from 110 Euros (used) up to Euro 185 (new)
warspite1

Yes I am interested - thanks for the tip Hotschi. Do you have the original? Is it just a story about the Battle of the Coral Sea?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1052
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/10/2014 9:52:39 PM   
Hotschi

I don't own the original. Ever so often I search a couple of authors (among them Lundstrom) too see what's available. And since Jonathan Parshall (author of "Shattered Swords") wrote a review of the original '77 edition and recommends it, I guess it'll be a good read.

According to Amazon, this title deals with strategy from January to June 42. I ordered this title today, if you want to wait, I can report when it arrives.

I got another book by Lundstrom, The First Team: Pacific Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway which I haven't read yet either  - there's only so few hours a day...

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1053
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/10/2014 10:56:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I don't own the original. Ever so often I search a couple of authors (among them Lundstrom) too see what's available. And since Jonathan Parshall (author of "Shattered Swords") wrote a review of the original '77 edition and recommends it, I guess it'll be a good read.

According to Amazon, this title deals with strategy from January to June 42. I ordered this title today, if you want to wait, I can report when it arrives.

I got another book by Lundstrom, The First Team: Pacific Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway which I haven't read yet either  - there's only so few hours a day...

warspite1

Thank-you, I will wait and get your feedback if that is okay. I currently have:

Third Axis, Fourth Ally - Half read
Scramble for Africa - about 1/5th read
RBS, Fred Goodwin and the Men who blew up the British Economy - Just started
Monty's Men - Chapter 2

As you say - too little time...

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1054
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/11/2014 5:01:40 PM   
shunwick

Currently reading Barbarossa to Berlin - a two volume set by Brian Taylor. A day by day account of The Great Patriotic War with each day divided into AGN, AGC, AGS sections. Engrossing.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/11/2014 6:04:06 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1055
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/14/2014 9:23:02 PM   
Hotschi

Four books at the same time!

I couldn't do that, I'd get confused. I can only read two at the same time, and they have to be different topics, otherwise I'd get - again - confused. Most time it's one e-book and one classic printed book (which I prefer over e-books).

Must be an age thing....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1056
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/15/2014 4:33:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Four books at the same time!

I couldn't do that, I'd get confused. I can only read two at the same time, and they have to be different topics, otherwise I'd get - again - confused. Most time it's one e-book and one classic printed book (which I prefer over e-books).

Must be an age thing....
warspite1

I am not saying its ideal - its just difficult to say no when something really appeals

Fortunately the RBS book has been unputdownable(?) so having got it on Monday I have just a few pages left - then its back to the brilliant Scramble For Africa

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1057
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/15/2014 10:04:15 AM   
Orm

I often attempt to have three or four active books at the same time. But this often ends in failure and one, or two, of the books is dropped to be read at a later date.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1058
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/16/2014 4:27:44 PM   
barkman44

"Alexander the Great"by Phillip Freeman a good readable account.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1059
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/16/2014 6:43:26 PM   
berto

On to the next volume in the series:

The Story of Civilization: The Age of Reason Begins [volume 7], by Will & Ariel Durant

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 1060
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/16/2014 7:27:56 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I'm 'reading' With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge. I put reading in parenthesis because I bought the electronic audible version narrated with introduction by Tom Hanks. I do like hearing it read professionally while reading along.

Thanks K.G.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 1061
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/17/2014 8:18:56 AM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading Black Jack Logan by Gary Ecelbarger.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1062
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/17/2014 11:41:56 AM   
nelmsm1

The Battle of Borodino: Napoleon Against Kutuzov by Alexander Mikaberidze. Interesting read but the Kindle edition seems to be missing a bunch of the letter "f" at the start of about words so sometimes the French are falling in droves facing withering Russian ire!

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 1063
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/21/2014 7:30:07 AM   
warspite1

Has anybody got Rising Sun, Falling Skies, a book about "The disastrous Java Sea Campaign of World War II"?

If so I would be interested in any feedback. Thank-you.

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 1064
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/21/2014 8:13:30 AM   
wodin

The Stalingrad Cauldron by frank Ellis.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1065
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/22/2014 8:48:12 AM   
Citizen Emperor

Blundering to Glory: Napoleon's Military Campaigns by Owen Connelly.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1066
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/22/2014 11:50:15 PM   
Chickenboy

Recently finished The Shining. Started on two books: Dr. Sleep (the recently released follow up) and The Millionaire Next Door.

(in reply to Citizen Emperor)
Post #: 1067
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/23/2014 4:19:06 AM   
Jevhaddah

Having just finished Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe Series, I am now reading the Hornblower books by C.S Forester.
I am halfway through Mr Midshipman Hornblower.

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1068
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/23/2014 10:03:27 PM   
mikkey

After Clancy's Red Storm Rising now read The Hunt for Red October

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 1069
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/27/2014 8:43:02 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

Has anybody got Rising Sun, Falling Skies, a book about "The disastrous Java Sea Campaign of World War II"?

Not yet, but thanks for the tip. This is one of the most neglected campaigns of the Pacific War - to my knowledge there is no book available (be it English or German) which is focussing exclusively on the conquest of the DEI. You find a few bits and pieces (like the one you mention) but that's all.

Finished reading Corrigan's Blood, Sweat and Arrogance - the 1st third of the book, dealing with developments in the British Services between WW I and II, the rearmament of Germany and also to a lesser extent about French developments is the best part of the whole book.

One could stop reading the book at that point. Waste of time.

Started David Reynold's In Command of History: Churchill Fighting and Writing the Second World War - very good so far. Haven't finished E.B. Potter's Bull Halsey yet either - also a very good read.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1070
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/27/2014 9:02:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Not yet, but thanks for the tip. This is one of the most neglected campaigns of the Pacific War - to my knowledge there is no book available (be it English or German) which is focussing exclusively on the conquest of the DEI. You find a few bits and pieces (like the one you mention) but that's all.

Finished reading Corrigan's Blood, Sweat and Arrogance - the 1st third of the book, dealing with developments in the British Services between WW I and II, the rearmament of Germany and also to a lesser extent about French developments is the best part of the whole book.

One could stop reading the book at that point. Waste of time.

Started David Reynold's In Command of History: Churchill Fighting and Writing the Second World War - very good so far. Haven't finished E.B. Potter's Bull Halsey yet either - also a very good read.
warspite1

Shame - always a bummer when you buy a book and soon realise you shouldn't have bothered....

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1071
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/27/2014 9:14:28 PM   
Orm

I am reading Krysseren Blücher by Alf R. Jacobsen. A nice read so far but it does not seem to be available in English.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1072
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/28/2014 8:39:32 PM   
geiramk

Flashman and the Mountain of Light by George MacDonald Fraser for my sofa read, and Wool by Hugh Howey for my commuting read.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1073
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/31/2014 5:36:27 AM   
Citizen Emperor

Just started on President Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer, the 8th book in the classic pulp adventure series.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

(in reply to geiramk)
Post #: 1074
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/31/2014 8:42:16 AM   
haikura

i´m reading Shogun by James Clavel - it talks about old Japan, war strategies and life besides. Like a movie Last samurai but so much better...

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 1075
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/31/2014 9:10:29 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

Shame - always a bummer when you buy a book and soon realise you shouldn't have bothered....

It's curiosity! A couple of months ago I read another book by Corrigan, The Second World War: A Military History so I already knew his style of writing and his favourite topics of the war. In that other book he was already highly critical of Churchill and Montgomery, as well as uttering some questionable - at least! - positions (Most notably "By and large the Waffen SS behaved well.").... So I somehow knew what to expect.

Now in this book, Blood, Sweat and Arrogance with it's subtitle of The Myths of Churchill's War I expected some backing up of his earlier statements about Churchill's decisions, ideas and actions - but there hardly was any. It's just not enough to simply call WSC's ideas "idiocy", or to mention generally that he interefered too much in naval details, directing ships here and there. I want facts, not generalisations.

And again, in this book, he somehow writes oddly about the Waffen SS as having some "bad press". This writer, being an ex-infantryman with the Ghurka's, is either more relaxed about the issue, or, worse, more closely asspciated to the views of a notorious guy called - David Irving.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1076
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/5/2014 5:50:51 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Well I bought it anyway.

7 Chapters in and I have to say:

1. It's an enjoyable read. The author has a decent writing style.
2. Interesting to read about new areas e.g. the performance of the Dutch submarine force, MacArthur's response (or lack thereof) to the Japanese attack on the Philippines, the politics and personalities (Hart, Helfrich, MacArthur, Wavell etc) behind ABDA and the fact that all four nations had different priorities in how and where to stop the Japanese.
3. This is a subject I know little about in any detail and therefore if there are any glaring mistakes then I probably wouldn't know (I spotted a couple in the early chapters including when describing the Bismarck as having 16-inch guns) but nothing else so far.
4. I would love to read some reviews by people who know about this campaign (no reviews on Amazon yet) but regardless, this is a great introduction to this important and much ignored part of the Pacific War.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1077
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/7/2014 5:30:06 PM   
barkman44

"The Tragedy of the Templars"The rise and fall of the crusader states.By Michael Haag.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1078
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/10/2014 7:26:34 AM   
Greybriar

I am currently reading To Rule the Waves by Arthur Herman.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1079
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/10/2014 11:43:02 AM   
Ostwindflak

Crusade in Europe by Dwight D. Eisenhower.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI