Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Impressions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [[Fantasy]] >> Drums of War >> First Impressions? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 6:18:06 PM   
wodin

Can anyone post their first impressions..the price is good and I quite like the look of it...

Post #: 1
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 8:55:59 PM   
InuharikoMu

The Game remains me of Langrisser / Warsong on the Mega Drive even the Graphics are 1991 Style.
You get two Campaigns but only one Resolution (1024*768) in two flavors: Fullscreen & Windowed.

To get the right Flair of the 80 & 90 the Graphics are fixed and don't Scale when you enlarge the Window.
I give my Tip of the Hat to the Devs that they have gone to such length to give us a Wargame that make hard Men Weep because of the Eyecandy.

So it's not your Monitor dear Grognards it's only the 90'

I played the first two Missions. It a mischmasch of IGOUGO and RPG Elements. AI seems Ok.
There is a Story that is displayed via Text Messages and some Crayon Pictures from a Kindergarten.

Game System seems at first Glance superior to Fantasy Commander... Well Time will tell.... If i play that Game -> Masochist.

On my 1080p Monitor Text is blurry & Garbled so it's stressing my Old Eyes.

It has even some Sound and Music... So far the best thing on the Presentation.

On Steam this Game would get the Boot for the 15,99 € Pricetag from the Community. But that is my Opinion.

My Personal Feeling about my first Hour with Drums of War?
I'm Disapointed & Angry and i curse myself, for not waiting for a external Review.

So... I go to Bed and watch From Dusk till Dawn the Series Episode 2.... I need to Vent.....

*Update* Seems that (im my Opinion) all Official Screenshots are Windowed 1024*768 Pictures. Because they are crisp and the Text is clear.

*Upate* changing Desktop Resolution to 1024*768 and then staring the Game solved the Garbled Graphics in Fullscreen. My LG Monitor is weeping......

< Message edited by Richtschnur -- 3/19/2014 11:06:56 PM >

“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 9:04:41 PM   
FroBodine

This is too bad. I hope it's not really as bad as it sounds, because I love this kind of game. I really tried to like Fantasy Kommander, but the horrible interface and teeny tiny maps just drove me away.

I am hoping for better things from one. You are so right about the prices that Matrix and Slitherine set, compared to a similar or better game on Steam. I know Slitherine has tried to justify it, but you should get what you pay for.

If nothing else, we still have Wesnoth.

(in reply to InuharikoMu)
Post #: 3
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 9:20:47 PM   
InuharikoMu

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

This is too bad. I hope it's not really as bad as it sounds, because I love this kind of game. I really tried to like Fantasy Kommander, but the horrible interface and teeny tiny maps just drove me away.

I am hoping for better things from one. You are so right about the prices that Matrix and Slitherine set, compared to a similar or better game on Steam. I know Slitherine has tried to justify it, but you should get what you pay for.

If nothing else, we still have Wesnoth.

Graphics are a lot more worst as in Fantasy Kommander. Because of the fixed Resolution and no Scaling.

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 4
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 9:26:11 PM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Can anyone post their first impressions..the price is good and I quite like the look of it...

I guess the graphics of the game were bound to get some flak (although I would compare graphical expectations to the fact that it is a very detailed and long game made by one guy plus some help he received), but do see not only that the graphics aren't that bad (in windowed mode especially), but for the price you get 2*30 missions in a very nice tactical level turn based fantasy game, with RPG elements (items, levelling up, skills/achievements). And the editor, which is ridiculously easy to use.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 9:32:04 PM   
boatrigm

So is this another Flash engine game????

Seems to me the quality of games released lately are going down.

-Mike

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 6
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 9:39:19 PM   
Rosseau

I don't know... Tamas AAR and the editor are positives. Of course, I've got the whole Elven Legacy series for $10 with great editor and graphics (compared to DoW) and the new version of Eador Broken World (not customizable, but huge game). DoW may have the edge on "tactics," but will need to study that a little bit more.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 7
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 9:55:24 PM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: boatrigm

So is this another Flash engine game????

Seems to me the quality of games released lately are going down.

-Mike

It is not a Flash game.

(in reply to boatrigm)
Post #: 8
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 10:03:05 PM   
InuharikoMu

Dear Tames,

Sorry you are a Company... Your Job is it to Buy Cheap and sell it with a fat Margin.
Do you Know why Valve is a the Top of the Digital Distribution Foodchain?
They Invest in their Products, they invest in Developer.

So help the One Guy with a Graphic Artist and pay him some Dough that he can upgrade his Engine Tool.

That's why we Older Grognards pay Premium Rates for Matrix & Slitherine Games, and expect Premium Games.

Not something like Piercing Fortress Europe WITHOUT SOUND and half the Manual on Release.

Right @tm you are not doing yourself a Favor with this Kind of Quality Standart.
Will you wake up when Valve assimilate the Grognards Market with their Distribution Platform?
That would be Sad.

I have now 43 Products from Slitherine / Matrix and at the Moment wouldn't buy your Products without an external Review anymore.

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to boatrigm)
Post #: 9
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 10:07:06 PM   
InuharikoMu

*Upate* changing Desktop Resolution to 1024*768 and then staring the Game solved the Garbled Graphics in Fullscreen.

My LG Monitor is weeping......

― George S. Patton Jr.

Post #: 10
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 10:22:51 PM   
fireserval7

I've only played for an hour or so, but I'm enjoying it. In my opinion the graphics are fine for this type of game - it's got a nice board game feel. AI seems good, but again I've only played for a little bit. I do like the pacing. I love tactical games with rpg elements so this is my cup of tea. I'll try to post in more detail when I've played some more.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 10:38:26 PM   
Dorb

quote:

ORIGINAL: fireserval7

I've only played for an hour or so, but I'm enjoying it. In my opinion the graphics are fine for this type of game - it's got a nice board game feel. AI seems good, but again I've only played for a little bit. I do like the pacing. I love tactical games with rpg elements so this is my cup of tea. I'll try to post in more detail when I've played some more.

Great, it will be nice to get past the graphics rant, which looked apparent from the screen shots.

(in reply to fireserval7)
Post #: 12
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 11:04:42 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I'm actually pretty excited about this release. I wish more resolutions were supported but I had a lot of fun playing the outdated demo that was out and from what I understand, it has been improved upon from then. It's not Total War, but then again, it never claimed to be.

Take it for what it is and I'm planning on killing some time with it. The price is doable. I'd like to see the genre/game improve with further releases.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 3/20/2014 12:05:42 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 13
RE: First Impressions? - 3/19/2014 11:05:40 PM   
rodney727

I'm on the fence...not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this game....someone convince me.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 14
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 12:17:46 AM   
boatrigm

For me, I would have to have a demo before I buy otherwise I will just move on.

-Mike

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 15
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 1:08:18 AM   
Southpaw Samurai

However I may feel with a few more hours of Drums of War under my belt, this game certainly does not give off a good first impression.

Despite some poor opinions earlier today, I broke down and picked it up because I used to love somewhat lite tactical battle games going back to the days of Breach and Paladin and from the description and screenshots, this reminded me a lot of them and how their editors allowed for a lot of fun and variety (as least, to my childhood memories). Right now I am regretting that hasty decision. Richtschnur might seem a little harsh, but he's not far off. DoW actually lived up too much to my thoughts from before the purchase. It looks and feels as if I started up DOSBox and loaded up Paladin II, except with hexes.

There is some depth to the tactics (more than those old games, anyway), but so far it doesn't feel all that much deeper (granted, I've only played a few skirmishes to get a feel for different units and a battle I whipped up in the editor, so there might be more that I just haven't delved deep enough for yet). The units, with a few exceptions, seem to lack variety between factions and are fairly generic fantasy types - if I tell you the four factions are Humans, Orcs, Undead, and Dwarves, you'll probably guess 85%+ of the units).

Effects, sounds, music, and graphics (if you can overlook the late 80's/early 90's feel) are all passable with some highlights. Not bad for a tiny team.

What I found most disappointing so far is the editor, which is where I had placed much hope beyond a sound tactical base game. It is very easy to use, but ultimately feels very limited and I fear that what little community will bite at DoW will not be able to breathe a second life into the game through creative missions and campaigns. You're pretty much limited to the base units, heroes, and artifacts from the main game with little chance to add any personal touch to them. The maps editor doesn't allow for triggers (besides gate opening devices) or events or anything for more creative endeavors. You basically lay terrain, units, and items, and then just have a go. I'll have to do some digging, but I'm hoping perhaps there's some flexibility for modding (after all, the simplistic graphics should allow for someone to change things up without too much art hassle). Looking at the data files the editor creates, however, it doesn't look like there's room for any behind the scenes modding o the missions, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything truly creative or different to come out of the community. Fans have surprised me in the past, though.

Overall, I hate to sound negative, but this is a first impression thread and right now, it disappoints at first look. I'm hoping to feel the drive to give it a bit more of a go and see if there's more to it than at first seems, but I still fear that in the long run, it won't live long past it's initial built-in missions and that will barely feel worth the price.

(in reply to boatrigm)
Post #: 16
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 4:26:38 AM   
InuharikoMu

Dear Community,

I don't care about Graphics, Period. I care about a tech engine with a fixed Resolution in the Year 2014.

As far as i'm concerned, a Game can look like ASCII (Dwarf Fortress) (HAHA a complex free to play ASCII GAME with 1080p Resolution)
as long as it support varied Resolutions that modern TFT Monitors support.

So everything from 1280*1024 to 1920*1080.

Dear Matrix / Slitherine
Matrix / Slitherine charge Premium, I expect Premium.

Because we older Guys WILL BUY THE GAME even if it's 30 Euro's instead of 15,99 when the technical Framework is acceptable.

Ask People that bought World in Flames how Happy they are with their Purchase. Or the few that bought Piercing Fortress Soundless.
Fantasy Kommander few Month out, still no Patch.

Lock N Load Stalingrad -> Big Problems if u have a TFT Monitor with an Resolution under 1366*768, because the UI is designed for bigger Resolution.

What Matrix need is a common denominator in the Tech Department.
Like Ok dear Devs:

We only Accept Games with a scalable UI / GUI from 1366*768 to 1080p.
Oh you have no Knowledge how to do that?
Well let us help you.

But in the End... One can only Hope...

Most Company develop over the Time first Hubris, then they produce red Numbers in the Ledgers.
Then they get Desperate.
Are you?

< Message edited by Richtschnur -- 3/20/2014 5:27:46 AM >

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to Southpaw Samurai)
Post #: 17
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 4:38:13 AM   
boatrigm

+1

Post #: 18
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 8:39:31 AM   
kirk23

Hi Guys, I purchased the game yesterday,but to honest have not played the game yet,but I have read the manual and the editor manual,I was over on the Slitherine forum today, and there is a very interesting little scenario that has been created by the in game editor,so please give the game a chance, its not as bad as a lot are making out,I think it has a lot of potential.

By the way this little scenario was created by Tamas.

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=237&t=48857&sid=7446e5b9f71dfbe3a321b42742f4646a

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 3/20/2014 9:41:37 AM >

Make it so!

(in reply to boatrigm)
Post #: 19
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 11:14:40 AM   
Radagy

Richtschnur,

+1

< Message edited by Radagy -- 3/20/2014 12:15:32 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 12:06:12 PM   
toddtreadway

So, aside from the game resolution, is the game fun? Are there interesting decisions to be made? What is the gameplay like?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 21
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 12:43:07 PM   
IainMcNeil

There are some very misguided comments in this thread. This is a game from a one man indie team who we liked and wanted to support. Suggesting that the quality of our games has dropped is quite frankly ridiculous. We wanted to help a small indie developer get their game out and so we did. The same as we did with Qvadriga, VR designs and a number of others. We're releasing bigger and higher quality games than ever, but that doesn't mean we've forgotten our roots and have stopped supporting the small guys. Just because a game does not have widescreen support it's hardly a reason to forecast doom. Do you have any idea of the amount of work involved in making a 2D game with any amount of UI support multiple resolutions, especially if it was not planned from day 1, which it wasn't. You add many man months to the development time and when you have 1 guy doing everything that's clearly not an option. How about cutting him a little slack! I'm not saying its the best most fully featured game we've ever released but it is a good fun game. Hopefully Crasleen will be able to build on this and make something more modern looking as a future release.

Here is the recent release schedule:
Battle Academy 2
Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad
Piercing Fortress Europa
Qvadriga
Da Vinci's War
Panzer Corps STEAM
Drums of War

And a small selection of the upcoming releases:
Distant Worlds Universe
Frontline : Road to Moscow
Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Buzz Aldrin's SPM
WH 40K Armageddon
Gary Grigsby's War in the West
Sovereignty: Crown of Kings
Brother against Brother
Close Combat: The Bloody First
Strategic Command 3

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 22
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 2:27:32 PM   
InuharikoMu

Hello Mr. McNeil,

We never talked about the little Guy. We talked about the technical Condition of the Software your Company released.
That is the Point of Discussion.

If i had bought Drums of War over the Internet Site of the little Guy as an Indie Title. There would be NO Complaint.

I bought from a Premium Provider one of his Quality Products.
And the Product lacks a certain Standard that is Common in 2014.
Like Support for 23" TFT Monitors with 1080p and more Resolution or even better something Trivial like Soundeffects in Piercing Fortress Deaf.

Years ago i work in Software QA & Marketing. No Sound would be the 1st Thing i would bring up.

Every single Developer that goes through the Ordeal in Creating Computer Art has my Respect.

And btw:

VR designs technical Framework & Design are flawless. Great AI, Great UI / GUI, Support for modern Systems. Great Products & Support.

Other Topic:
And Mr. McNeil what about the promised Patch for Fantasy Kommander? We are waiting now for 3 Month to finish the Product. (Load/Save Error)?

Best Regards from sunny springy Germany

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 23
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 2:49:18 PM   
InuharikoMu

quote:

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway

So, aside from the game resolution, is the game fun? Are there interesting decisions to be made? What is the gameplay like?

So Far I'm enjoying it. The Game Design takes it Roots from Langrisser and other round based Mega Drive Strategy Games of the golden Age of the 90'.

There are only a few screens:
You get the Text Screen that shows the Story.
You get the Army Screen: Fitting & Hire your Army, buying Stuff like Potions.
You have the Map Screen: Here you select your next Mission.
You get the Mission Screen: Here you have the Briefing and Mission Targets.
Last not Least the Battle Screen and the Victory Screen.

The Missions so far are small Affairs with a play through under 15 - 20 Minutes.
The AI plays really good and will punish you.
The Battlefield is interactive. Meaning you can manipulate a lot of Things.
There are Modifier for Night and Day Conditions. You can light up the Battle Field to hinder
dark Creatures. You can man & shoot a Ballista to support your Attack.

I like it. It's easy on the Mind (Beer & Pretzel) easy to handle, the Rules in the small Manual are clear to understand & transparent.

Only Concern is that the Battlefield are a bit small for tactical maneuvering. And the LOS are hard to see.

Hope that Helps a bit, best regards

― George S. Patton Jr.

Post #: 24
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 4:26:44 PM   
Southpaw Samurai

quote:

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway

Well, bad first impressions have given away to some appreciation of the game and some frustration over what it could be.

As Richtschnur says, it is an enjoyable enough, simple little game. Controls are intuitive and uncomplicated and the combat is straightforward and basic, but does have some neat features such as facing, weather effects, and the aforementioned manipulation of terrain, whether it's the intentional (or unintentional) burning of trees and other objects or the freezing of water to make quick bridges.

The campaign stories are acceptable, if a bit generic (as is the units and the world in general) and the simplistic art style of the background images for the briefings has grown on me.

Overall, as a work of primarily a single person, I feel it's a decent to good game. What's frustrating is that it could be so much if a bit more manpower and budget were allocated to it. The additional factors in combat like facing and lighting and dynamic terrain modification beg to be expanded to make the tactical combat richer as they make this game stand out against games like Battle for Westnoth. The editor and/or modding capability could've been opened up a bit more to provide a longer life of community created content (there's so much that's tantalizingly available to modify from the resource files, from portraits to sounds to the campaign map, but what you can really change for a custom campaign without affecting the base game seems severely limited).

This game really needs a demo, or more realistically, a good video play through to show it off so people can make a better informed decision. As much as I'm not sure it's worth the asking price (although these days $20USD is the new $9.99-$14.99) and can't recommend it without reservations, I really would like to see it do well enough that perhaps someone would give the developer some better resources to make a more fleshed out version down the road.

Post #: 25
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 5:02:04 PM   
InuharikoMu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Southpaw Samurai

I really would like to see it do well enough that perhaps someone would give the developer some better resources to make a more fleshed out version down the road.

+1

< Message edited by Richtschnur -- 3/20/2014 6:02:33 PM >

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to Southpaw Samurai)
Post #: 26
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 6:21:40 PM   
zakblood

deleted post after re reading what i wanted to say, didn't sound right but still don't agree with thread tbh :(

only a few bits i agree with,

There are some very misguided comments in this thread

and that's about it.

give the indie lad a chance

< Message edited by zakblood -- 3/20/2014 7:28:26 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 7:01:25 PM   
InuharikoMu

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

There are some very misguided comments in this thread

give the indie lad a chance

Dear Sir,
Please elaborate on the misguided Comments.

And of course will we give the Indie Guy a Chance... He was not mentioned with One Word...
It was the Input of Mr. McNeil that put the Spotlight on him.

Our Comments on the Creator Mr. Konstantinov are so far Neutral, because he has done nothing Wrong.

And from the Interview
http://www.wargamer.com/article/3545/interview-drums-of-war-beating-loud
He seems to be a nice Person.

Back to Topic:
Please elaborate

In Anticipation i bid you a nice Evening

― George S. Patton Jr.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 28
RE: First Impressions? - 3/20/2014 10:13:00 PM   
Rosseau

I took a chance and glad I did. Full screen graphics seem fine to me and fit the game well. A bit hard to distinguish between enemy units, but that passes, plus you just right-click. When I think of the lousy Harpoon series graphics - that are still lousy - I don't dare criticize DoW. The terrain graphics are also functional enough.

Gameplay-wise there is more going on than in Wesnoth. (Yes, Wesnoth is free). With DoW, you don't get that kill-the-cannonfodder repetition, which burned me out on Wesnoth. Tactically, richer than Eador and better than Fallen Enchantess LH's tactical module because the fight is longer and mission based. Also, the units have more weapons and skills up their sleeves. UI couldn't be simpler and campaign creation is easy; with Wesnoth you really need some skill.

There was a game I wasted my money on with the initials SST. It advertises a realistic tactical (space-themed) experience. It truly is bad, imo, and has been understandably dead for years. I don't like to be harsh, but that mistaken purchase really set me off. It was also more expensive than DoW. For $20, I believe you are getting a lot for DoW. I can easily see a modded WWII tactical game at the extreme end. Only in my third mission, but you really do have to think before you move, as there are lots of character stats, weapons, magic, etc. to consider.

I am playing Wasteland's Fall Weiss right now (love Time of Fury), but find myself just moving counters pretty aimlessly. Nothing you do in DoW is aimless. Plus, you get the progress and perks to keep you going. Also, if you suck at the game, the save game file is easily editable

If I discover any not-so-good things, I will surely report them. But I believe the game has "LnL-level light" potential in the fantasy genre and hope it is supported here at Matrix.

Post #: 29
RE: First Impressions? - 3/21/2014 2:06:40 AM   
baloo7777

quote:

But I believe the game has "LnL-level light" potential in the fantasy genre and hope it is supported here at Matrix.

I think I will give it a try! Thanks rosseau!

JRR

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [[Fantasy]] >> Drums of War >> First Impressions? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI