Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball (CSA) v Gunnulf (USA)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball (CSA) v Gunnulf (USA) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/14/2014 6:50:17 PM   
Q-Ball

August 1862

The month of August sees two tactical victories in the West; one of my doing, and one where I basically just sat there and blasted away. First, update from Virginia:

Virginia:

I had many unit shifting to cover Fredricksburg; in the mass movement, McClellan was able to move to Leesburg, and attack my outnumbered forces there, winning a battle and forcing a retreat. Damn!

I cannot take him out of Leesburg, so the result may be the loss of Harpers Ferry. That is important, because I really need to keep the Valley covered; from experience, once you lose the Valley, you can lose Culpeper too, which is bad.

I'm not all that happy with the way things are going in Virginia; I will likely have to step-up more builds

West:

A positive turn of events, however, in Tenneessee.

First, Rosecrans' forces attempted to storm Nashville from over the Cumberland; that was probably ill-advised, as he suffered big losses and was thrown back. Somebody is likely getting blamed for that defeat.

Over by the river, the prior turn found Grant in a tough spot with his back to the river; we counterattacked, and while we didn't win any major battles, we did re-take Ft. Pillow and Covington, and pushed most of Grant's army West of the River. It's difficult to operate from those swamps, so I hope to clear West Tennessee and force basically a start-over for the Union.

I hold Island 10 and Ft. Pillow, but in both places, the guns are gone, so they are more or less empty shells, unfortunately.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 31
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/15/2014 4:23:23 PM   
freeboy

I just had the AI running circles around me, and you are fairly in control against a human.. hummm.. need more trainign! lol
WAr college?
OK, keep up the AAR, fun reads ! thanks to you both for sharing ...

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 32
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/20/2014 10:46:12 AM   
GreyJoy

Hi Brad!
This seems really a great game. Would you suggest it?
I had fondly loved Forge of Freedom... is this any better as far as you know?

Love your AARs...as always!

Ciao my friend

Nic

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 33
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/20/2014 8:11:40 PM   
cmdrsam

Hi grey, its no where as complex as witpae. But a very good game. Supply is just as important in my opinion. But Qball can answer any question better than I.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 34
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/21/2014 12:56:52 AM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Hi Brad!
This seems really a great game. Would you suggest it?
I had fondly loved Forge of Freedom... is this any better as far as you know?

Love your AARs...as always!

Ciao my friend

Nic

Hey Nic! Hope all is well.

The short answer: It's a good game, probably of more interest if you are interested in American Civil War (which I am). I like WITP-AE better, but this has a huge advantage in that you can finish a game in your natural lifetime....seriously, at 1 turn a day, you're done in 3 months, tops. WITP-AE is the king of all games, IMO, but that is a big problem with it....only 1200 turns to victory!

Nov 1862:

I haven't updated in a bit....part of the reason is that I am a bit miffed at a couple of results that I felt like I was screwed by the game engine, but c'est la guerre....my opponent has at least one cause for complaint as well.

Nasty Results:

How did I get screwed? Two instances.

#1 was a bad, backward retreat result into a enemy-occupied region, when a friendly depot was available to the south. As a result, I lost so much cohesion, EK Smith's 35,000 men were easily pushed all the way down the Valley, with no opportunity to counterattack. A retreat to Strasburg would have stopped the Union there. Appaling!

Even worse was #2; Forrest was set to join Longstreet's Corps in TN. Longstreet lost a battle and withdrew, but Forrest arrived, with no Corps to join ATTACKED Grant's whole army. 5 NM lost and a complete wipeout of that 6,000-man Cav Division. OUCH!

Anyway, rant over, and I'll point out the one area my opponent can cry fowl.

East:

I mentioned EK Smith's problem.....aside from that, a mixed bag.

First, a large 20,000 man army takes Norfolk, easily shoving aside the 5000-man division I have there. Then, 3 Union divisions appear via sea, and toast all 3 forts in North Carolina. Meade and Reynolds led two of the divisions, and I wonder if that was more about promotions than knocking forts over.

The North Carolina expedition, though, weakened Norfolk, enough that Huger/Jackson re-took it. Even better we captured a Brig unit. WOOF!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 3/21/2014 1:59:47 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 35
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/21/2014 1:04:31 AM   
Q-Ball

Nov, 1862: WEST

Tennessee:

See below; this is where I was screwed #2. Losing 6000 Cav does not help the build program, particularly since one of the units lost was the Iron Brigade. OUCH!

Otherwise, we parryed off Grant, and looks like we are going to finish 1862 with Nashville lost, but Memphis held. Half a loaf, anyway.

The better news is that every port from New Bern to Texas is un-blockaded, and unmolested.

Missouri/Arkansas:

Here, things went badly, but it was all my own fault. I won't get into details, but both Springfield and Fayetteville are lost. There is no reason the South should not hold Fayetteville, so this is a bad failure on my part. At least I didn't make a big investment there, which was maybe my problem.

Anyway,once I collect my forces and get straigtened out, we'll need to defend Little Rock. He can't really go further, because it's winter, and he is just building depots.

Far West:

Here is where my opponent got screwed, with a little help from the CSA. If you remember, I burned all the Stockades in New Mexico; between that, and a couple battles, Carson's forces were completely annihilated, mostly through starvation. A shattered remnant is moving to Colorado, but aside from that New Mexico is 100% REB at this point.

An army under Carleton is building at Tuscon; as soon as he has supplies, he'll be entering NM. At that point, party may be over, since I am not going to invest in alot of troops out there. We'll see how Van Dorn does.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 3/21/2014 2:07:26 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 36
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/25/2014 10:22:20 AM   
veji1

Hey QBall, I need my daily fix of your AAR ! regarding what happened with Forrets, what was his posture ? When moving troops that are to join a bigger stronger body (here Longstreet's corps), if there is any chance of meeting strong ennemy forces I always have them on green/Green. That way if they meet an ennemy, they can extricate themselves (usually).

Now I must say I also think there is something wack in the calculations when a force, even a cavalry force, bumps into a strong force led by one of the very best generals. It looks to me that the combination of strat/offensive of guys like Grant, Sherman or Lee makes it almost impossible for even a cavalry force to escape on fairly open terrain. happened to me with Stuart not long ago getting annihilated, despite being in green/green.

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 37
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 3/28/2014 6:30:07 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: veji1

Hey QBall, I need my daily fix of your AAR ! regarding what happened with Forrets, what was his posture ? When moving troops that are to join a bigger stronger body (here Longstreet's corps), if there is any chance of meeting strong ennemy forces I always have them on green/Green. That way if they meet an ennemy, they can extricate themselves (usually).

Now I must say I also think there is something wack in the calculations when a force, even a cavalry force, bumps into a strong force led by one of the very best generals. It looks to me that the combination of strat/offensive of guys like Grant, Sherman or Lee makes it almost impossible for even a cavalry force to escape on fairly open terrain. happened to me with Stuart not long ago getting annihilated, despite being in green/green.

I think I had Forrest on offensive posture, as he was sweeping to intercept a Union Cav unit, and if that didn't work join Longstreet's Corps. I think that was my error; I was trying to do 2 things at once. It's a shame that this is the worst battle loss of the war, but oh well.

We had no turns for a week while Gunnulf was repairing his computer, but we're back at it now.

December 1862:

East:

We seem to have settled into Winter Quarters. I retain Norfolk; McDowell's troops retreated south, where they will probably get picked-up by the Union Navy. Too swampy to pursue.

I feel back to the Rappahannock; I may regret that move, as it gives him use of the Manassas Gap RR, but I felt exposed with Jackson's Corps reducing Norfolk. Now that's done, Jackson is back at Fredricksburg, while Beauregard is at Culpeper. They have something like 60,000 between them.

Union amphib units cleared the forts in front of Albemarle Sound, so I am sending Hood's division down to New Bern, to discourage a move into North Carolina; want to keep him on the coasts.

New Mexico:

The last of Carson's command is destroyed at Ft. Union; there is now not a single blue-clad soldier in New Mexico. Now what?

Carleton's command is building at Tuscon, and I see they have a depot. I expect a move here, so I can't abandon Mesilla. When he comes out of that box, he'll be looking to secure supplies quickly, so I have to be able to move. I may move closer to the box exit.

The other thing I am planning is an invasion of Colorado. I am not certain I can do this, and I am not going to build a supply wagon, so we have to live off the land. I can use MJ Thompson (SUPPLY RANGER), and use mostly Ranger units with a Cav or two to take control of cities. He only has militia in Colorado, far as I can tell.

Missouri:

This area I can't really call "Missouri" anymore, because I lost Springfield and Fayetteville. Here, Gunnulf just outmaneuvered me, and I beefed it. I am not strong enough to take Fayetteville back. So, now what?

I am going to keep the Indians under Waite, and Cavalry, around to keep him honest. I want to discourage an advance toward Little Rock. But I ultimately think he'll approach Little Rock from the east, not west, so I need to move the bulk of my command into Central Arkansas.

I think it's the right decision; if I can't move forward, I need to put my troops where they can defend something meaningful, and with Fayetteville lost, there is nothing else to defend except Little Rock.

Tennessee:

See below; more Union guys than I can handle. Ft. Donelson was cut-off, so I evacuated the troops there via boat, and left the garrison to be destroyed by Rosecrans.

Once Ft. Donelson falls, Nashville can't be too far behind; I think that is generally true in CW2. We'll make him move everyone toward it, but we are making plans to fall back on Chattanooga. I don't see a point to defending Central Tennessee, since the Chattanooga position is really a tough nut to crack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 3/28/2014 7:32:35 PM >

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 38
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 4/7/2014 10:17:22 AM   
veji1

More ! (please ?)

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 39
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 7/14/2014 7:56:39 PM   
Jethro420

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
How did I get screwed? Two instances.

#1 was a bad, backward retreat result into a enemy-occupied region, when a friendly depot was available to the south. As a result, I lost so much cohesion, EK Smith's 35,000 men were easily pushed all the way down the Valley, with no opportunity to counterattack. A retreat to Strasburg would have stopped the Union there. Appaling!

Hi, Q-Ball. I've really enjoyed your AAR, so far. Really well done!

While I'm still an utter noob at this game, maybe I can help you feel better about that retreat. You were hoping your unit would retreat to the south, toward their homeland. I'm sure they wanted to, as well. But, what happened was that unit was pushed back the way it came, which makes sense. How can you rout through thousands of guys who want you dead? You don't, of course. You turn tail and ran back the way you came - away from all those guys with guns and pointy things.

As for the suicide cavalry attack, Idunno. But, I guess that has to do with posture. It sounds... questionable, at best.

Also, you should know that reading stuff like this helps a new player quite a bit. I sincerely appreciate the effort.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 40
RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball... - 7/14/2014 7:58:34 PM   
Jethro420

And, like a noob, I just realized how old this thread is... Sheesh!

(in reply to Jethro420)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> RE: Deo Vindice: State's Rights and King Cotton Q-Ball (CSA) v Gunnulf (USA) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI