Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombing of Coastal Guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bombing of Coastal Guns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/25/2014 4:46:07 PM   
bartrat

What is the correct way to target via air bombing coastal defense guns?
Any way to single them out for bombing?
As a early war Japanese player bombing Bataan and Singapore coastal defense guns would be very useful.

WW2 logistics fanboy and
Rat Rancher
Rat ranching for fun and profit, had better be fun, cause there is no profit.
Post #: 1
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/25/2014 5:15:51 PM   
dr.hal

There is no way to isolate the CD unit as a stand alone target. You have to bomb the troops in the port (NOT the port) in the hopes of getting the guns.... but it is a LONG shot (pun intended). The best way is to send in a BB and stay out of range of the guns and hope to suppress them or at a minimum absorb their fire. Given the size of the guns at Singapore, this wouldn't be possible.

(in reply to bartrat)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/25/2014 5:48:14 PM   
Numdydar

From experience as Japan, sending in a fleet to bombard either of these places will result in a lot of ships either sunk or in repair for a long time. Ask me how I know ?

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/25/2014 6:48:56 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

A high DL is key to do damage, so lots of recon planes can improve the chances of hitting coastal guns... but then don't hold your breathe

And... do not naval bombard Singapore or Bataan... they will fire back with BB caliber guns.. there is a good reason nobody did it in real life. You will waste ships for little gain

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/25/2014 6:49:36 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

double post

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 3/25/2014 7:50:09 PM >

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 5
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/25/2014 10:23:40 PM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bartrat

As a early war Japanese player bombing Bataan and Singapore coastal defense guns would be very useful.

Bombing singapore from sea ? for what you have land troops ? :)
what juicy target sits in singapore early in game so it justify risking all that ships in coastal bombardement ?

(in reply to bartrat)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 1:06:41 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

From experience as Japan, sending in a fleet to bombard either of these places will result in a lot of ships either sunk or in repair for a long time. Ask me how I know ?

Yup, never tried it, but good to hear my assumptions were correct.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 7
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 1:09:32 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Be careful what you wish for. At Bataan I can't get my bombers to hit anything else, and they're just throwing their bombs away. Very little damage.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to bartrat)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 1:27:22 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Also, both Singapore and Bataan have good AA defenses, any sustained long term air bombardment have a cost in airframes and pilots

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 3:28:31 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Also, both Singapore and Bataan have good AA defenses, any sustained long term air bombardment have a cost in airframes and pilots

True, but I usually start my bombing at 15k and drop down slowly to where I can take acceptable losses. Also once the bases run out of supply I find losses to be slight. Drop down to 7k, and let 'em have it. Its working at Singers, but the boys at Bataan keep pounding that #!@$%^ CD unit for nothing.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 10
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 3:33:55 AM   
bartrat

To summarize above,
Target ground units, after very good recon, and bomb often.
Thanks to all above for help.

WW2 logistics fanboy and
Rat Rancher
Rat ranching for fun and profit, had better be fun, cause there is no profit.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 6:28:54 AM   
Alfred

quote:

The only correct way is to make an aerial "Port Attack". Then there is a chance that the CD unit may be hit.

Alfred

(in reply to bartrat)
Post #: 12
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 1:04:09 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Be careful what you wish for. At Bataan I can't get my bombers to hit anything else, and they're just throwing their bombs away. Very little damage.

Yes, you can not hope kill individual units with bombs. (unless they are skittering about in open terrain) Bombing is for eating up supply and disruption. That is what allows you to defeat entrenched defenders, including CD guns.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 13
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 4:06:13 PM   
kaleun

On the same vein.
If Bataan and Subic Bay are in Japanese hands: Does Manila have any CD defenses? It seems like a no brainer that a couple of BBs in Manila Bay could pound the Manila defenders into dust. (DaBabes New Asia Roads)

< Message edited by kaleun -- 3/26/2014 5:15:50 PM >

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 14
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 8:41:03 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

On the same vein.
If Bataan and Subic Bay are in Japanese hands: Does Manila have any CD defenses? It seems like a no brainer that a couple of BBs in Manila Bay could pound the Manila defenders into dust. (DaBabes New Asia Roads)

You shouldn't be able to get to Manila without engaging the CD. Corregidor guards the entrance to the bay.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 15
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 8:54:09 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

The only correct way is to make an aerial "Port Attack". Then there is a chance that the CD unit may be hit.

Alfred

Ok, I'm playing GC scen1 v AI, Bataan is out of supply, so I started ground attacks and my A/C keep attacking the CD wilth little results. The fort level is 4 (I looked, hey its for learning and I'm plying the AI). I'm trying to get some disabed/disrupted units which W/O supply won't recover. So, what's the deal here? Should I just stop bombing? Would arty bombardment be better. Although with that I read that low experience defenders gain experience. Is that true? What's the best thing to do?

< Message edited by rustysi -- 3/26/2014 9:57:06 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 16
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 8:54:18 PM   
kaleun

Yes, but I think the Corregidor defenses are abstracted in the Bataan hex. I wonder in DaBabes whether they are in Bataan or in Manila. At least I've had a minesweeping task force conducting operationsin Bataan unbothered.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 17
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 9:04:19 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Yes, but I think the Corregidor defenses are abstracted in the Bataan hex. I wonder in DaBabes whether they are in Bataan or in Manila. At least I've had a minesweeping task force conducting operationsin Bataan unbothered.

Yeah, not sure about that. It makes sense to me that you might get away with sweeping Bataan without trouble. Don't think Corregidor could target them. But the entrance to Manila is definately guarded by Corregidor.

BTW DON'T try to sweep Singers you will get toasted. Go ahead ask me how I know.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 18
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/26/2014 9:14:24 PM   
kaleun

Singers is another kettle of fish altogether

Sun Tzu

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 19
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/27/2014 9:16:16 PM   
kaleun

For the record: In Ironbabes C Corregidor falls when Bataan falls. As a result, after clearing the mines in Bataan, CA Mogami and another cruiser were able to swing into Manila Bay and pound the Manila defenders, and some ships in the roads with no ill effects.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 20
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/28/2014 12:39:25 AM   
mike scholl 1

Some food for thought. From mid-December, 1941, until April of 1942, Japanese air power bombed the coast defense installations around Manilla Bay. During this 4+ month period, they managed to permanently destroy exactly ONE gun. Several others were put out of action for between 1-3 days. Short of a direct hit, these gun installations were virtually impossible to destroy.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 21
RE: Bombing of Coastal Guns - 3/31/2014 3:09:46 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

Some food for thought. From mid-December, 1941, until April of 1942, Japanese air power bombed the coast defense installations around Manilla Bay. During this 4+ month period, they managed to permanently destroy exactly ONE gun. Several others were put out of action for between 1-3 days. Short of a direct hit, these gun installations were virtually impossible to destroy.

Yeah, now that you mention it I seem to remember reading somewhere about how many contiguous days of bombardment Corregidor sustained before IJ landed, with little to no damage to the heavy emplacements. Works like RL. So why doesn't Singers fall like a house of cards when I assult it?

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Bombing of Coastal Guns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI