Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Land Combat Values

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> Land Combat Values Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Land Combat Values - 4/11/2014 2:22:45 PM   
Yorkiesand235

Hi

I have been trying work out the correlation between Soviet Armies combat factors and their OOB to add some other units for example the 3rd Army which fought in 1941 had 3 corps of 2 rifle corps each 3 rifle divisions and a mech corps 2 Tank and one mech Div. What combat factor would this have 4,5,6 or higher, how is it determined the number of men, tanks? or a rifle Div = 0.5 combat factor, Mech Div 0.75 Tank div 1 combat factor so 3 + 1.5 + 1 round up = a combat factor of 6.

Any help would be appreciated
Post #: 1
RE: Land Combat Values - 4/11/2014 2:41:01 PM   
markb50k

From what I gather, the numbers aren't really based on accurate analysis on a PER UNIT basis, but more on a Nation level. Its a game, and some balance was taken into account on that.

So breaking it down by factors per included division/corps is probably not going to be an effort that you will end up feeling like you got it down exactly, and at some point youll just have to be comfortable that what you are doing is not undoing game balance.

In other words, do what you feel is fair.

(in reply to Yorkiesand235)
Post #: 2
RE: Land Combat Values - 4/12/2014 2:06:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yorkiesand23a

Hi

I have been trying work out the correlation between Soviet Armies combat factors and their OOB to add some other units for example the 3rd Army which fought in 1941 had 3 corps of 2 rifle corps each 3 rifle divisions and a mech corps 2 Tank and one mech Div. What combat factor would this have 4,5,6 or higher, how is it determined the number of men, tanks? or a rifle Div = 0.5 combat factor, Mech Div 0.75 Tank div 1 combat factor so 3 + 1.5 + 1 round up = a combat factor of 6.

Any help would be appreciated

Many (if not most) of the Soviet units that existed at the start of the war evaporated under the German onslaught and new units with the same name were created later. Given all the reinforcements that were poured into land combat units, it's difficult to nail down exactly how strong each of them were. As a simple example, most of the US units that arrived in Europe/Africa early in the war were virtually completely rebuilt by the end of the war.

I wouldn't know even where to begin and rely on the work of Australian Design Group being 'accurate'.

---

By contrast, for the game I did on Chickamauga (US Civil War) there was a lot of historical information available on the composition of the units engaged at the time of the battle, including their weapons and whether the units had never been in combat before (i.e., green). I spent weeks at the Civil War museum/library in Philadelphia going over records written at the time of the battle.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 3
RE: Land Combat Values - 4/12/2014 10:08:06 AM   
Yorkiesand235

Many thanks for both your answers, both along the same conclusion I was coming to. I will take both your peices of advice on board. I also appreciate you taking the time out to give a reply.

Though I have noticed my sums are incorrect it should be 3+2+.75= 5.75 and then round up to 6. (Though I may test this theory out a bit more on Historical Soviet armies with additionally a .25- .50 increase due to experience gained.

For now though I will go along with adg counters for when armies become available for saying broadly a new army in this year had a combat value of x based on type y.

Finally I am tempted to go operational with TOAW 3 and Strategic with WIF, hmmm additionally buy the maps 21ft fantastic, plywood, steel plate, small magnets I have the board game aswell . Anyhow again thanks for the replies

Regards

< Message edited by Yorkiesand23a -- 4/12/2014 11:44:54 AM >

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios >> Land Combat Values Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI