Land Combat Values (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mods and Scenarios

Yorkiesand235 -> Land Combat Values (4/11/2014 2:22:45 PM)

Hi

I have been trying work out the correlation between Soviet Armies combat factors and their OOB to add some other units for example the 3rd Army which fought in 1941 had 3 corps of 2 rifle corps each 3 rifle divisions and a mech corps 2 Tank and one mech Div. What combat factor would this have 4,5,6 or higher, how is it determined the number of men, tanks? or a rifle Div = 0.5 combat factor, Mech Div 0.75 Tank div 1 combat factor so 3 + 1.5 + 1 round up = a combat factor of 6.

Any help would be appreciated

markb50k -> RE: Land Combat Values (4/11/2014 2:41:01 PM)

From what I gather, the numbers aren't really based on accurate analysis on a PER UNIT basis, but more on a Nation level. Its a game, and some balance was taken into account on that.

So breaking it down by factors per included division/corps is probably not going to be an effort that you will end up feeling like you got it down exactly, and at some point youll just have to be comfortable that what you are doing is not undoing game balance.

In other words, do what you feel is fair.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Land Combat Values (4/12/2014 2:06:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yorkiesand23a

Hi

I have been trying work out the correlation between Soviet Armies combat factors and their OOB to add some other units for example the 3rd Army which fought in 1941 had 3 corps of 2 rifle corps each 3 rifle divisions and a mech corps 2 Tank and one mech Div. What combat factor would this have 4,5,6 or higher, how is it determined the number of men, tanks? or a rifle Div = 0.5 combat factor, Mech Div 0.75 Tank div 1 combat factor so 3 + 1.5 + 1 round up = a combat factor of 6.

Any help would be appreciated

Many (if not most) of the Soviet units that existed at the start of the war evaporated under the German onslaught and new units with the same name were created later. Given all the reinforcements that were poured into land combat units, it's difficult to nail down exactly how strong each of them were. As a simple example, most of the US units that arrived in Europe/Africa early in the war were virtually completely rebuilt by the end of the war.

I wouldn't know even where to begin and rely on the work of Australian Design Group being 'accurate'.

---

By contrast, for the game I did on Chickamauga (US Civil War) there was a lot of historical information available on the composition of the units engaged at the time of the battle, including their weapons and whether the units had never been in combat before (i.e., green). I spent weeks at the Civil War museum/library in Philadelphia going over records written at the time of the battle.

Yorkiesand235 -> RE: Land Combat Values (4/12/2014 10:08:06 AM)

Many thanks for both your answers, both along the same conclusion I was coming to. I will take both your peices of advice on board. I also appreciate you taking the time out to give a reply.

Though I have noticed my sums are incorrect it should be 3+2+.75= 5.75 and then round up to 6. (Though I may test this theory out a bit more on Historical Soviet armies with additionally a .25- .50 increase due to experience gained.

For now though I will go along with adg counters for when armies become available for saying broadly a new army in this year had a combat value of x based on type y.

Finally I am tempted to go operational with TOAW 3 and Strategic with WIF, hmmm additionally buy the maps 21ft fantastic, plywood, steel plate, small magnets [X(] I have the board game aswell [:D]. Anyhow again thanks for the replies

Regards

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI