Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 4/12/2014 7:25:04 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Rats.....

At least Källström scored his penalty.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1441
RE: European Championships - 4/12/2014 9:55:34 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

It takes skill to make star players play disciplined defensive football.

Also remember that Chelsea had spend a lot of money before Mourinho but they got no titles. But with Mourinho they won titles.

Well, as in most activities in life, I am pretty certain that destroying (Mourinho's philosophy) is much easier than creating. You reward those who create something.

And didn't the Russian oligarch (and his badly needed millions) appeared in 2003, just one year before Mourinho landed there?

Let's do some maths though.

Last three years. First of all he is the "best coach of the world". Therefore he has to aim at the serious stuff (no Carling Cups thingies, please).

That makes Leagues (the most regular team is rewarded) and Champions leagues. 2 (titles) x 3 (years) = 6 titles that might be grabbed...

He grabbed how many? Only ONE. 1/6 then. I would not call that impressive (I mean, *sarcasm on* isn't he the best out there?). Now imagine he won't be winning this year either.

That means he will have grabbed only 1/8 titles in 4 years!

Oh yes, he guarantees results... Soon the alarm device will be triggered. And be sure of this: I will be there, throwing popcorn from the cheap seats.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/12/2014 11:07:17 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1442
RE: European Championships - 4/12/2014 10:28:51 PM   
warspite1

So to prove what a rubbish manager he is you are:

A) Dicarding completely the titles he won with Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan (including six league titles and two Champions Leagues)

B) Only taking the last three years - oh but not including Cups (you do realise they are major trophys right?) - oh and just for good measure deciding arbitarily now that he wont win anything this season to make his record "worse".

Right.......that's not maths - that's just ridiculous.

I can prove for a fact that Napoleon was the worst military leader ever. If I ignore every battle except the Waterloo Campaign (I am not allowing Ligny) then he has a 0% win record.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/12/2014 11:37:12 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1443
RE: European Championships - 4/12/2014 11:10:05 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

A) Dicarding completely the titles he won with Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan (including six league titles and two Champions Leagues)

B) Only taking the last three years - oh but not including Cups (you do realise they are major trophys right?) - oh and just for good measure deciding arbitarily now that he wont win anything this season to make his record "worse".

I can prove for a fact that Napoleon was the worst military leader ever. If I ignore every battle except the Waterloo Campaign (I am not allowing Ligny) then he has a 0% win record.

Nope, it's cold numbers. It's what he's done on his last 3 years. Just hope he wins something this year or... 1/8! Weren't you saying he delivers results?

And whatever you say, League & Champions League are the serious stuff, the prize grabbed by the Top Teams, the elite. Small teams win the minor cup thingies quite often

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/13/2014 12:10:57 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1444
RE: European Championships - 4/12/2014 11:16:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Nope, it's cold numbers. It's what he's done on his last 3 years. Just hope he wins something this year or... 1/8! Weren't you saying he delivers results?

And whatever you say, League & Champions League are the serious stuff, the prize grabbed by the Top Teams, the elite. Small teams win the minor cup thingies quite often
Warspite1

Yes, that's right league titles and Champions league wins count - er unless you are Jose Mourinho apparently, in which case 6 league championships ans 2 Champions leagues must be ignored like they never happened

Post #: 1445
RE: European Championships - 4/12/2014 11:21:13 PM   
warspite1

Besides which, yes I did say he delivers results, he is a great coach, but that does not mean he cannot have "lean" spells. What now? Ferguson, Ancelotti, Mancini, Van Gaal etc they all won titles or Champions leagues every year?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1446
RE: European Championships - 4/12/2014 11:37:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Besides which, yes I did say he delivers results, he is a great coach, but that does not mean he cannot have "lean" spells. What now? Ferguson, Ancelotti, Mancini, Van Gaal etc they all won titles or Champions leagues every year?

The End is Near, believe me. Resistance is futile

How can you not understand it? He plays ugly football (anti-football) despite he's got everything he wants. He trolls everyone. He insults his own colleagues, his players (when they do not win aka they dare sully his CV! ). He's said he would only coach ELITE teams!

I have mentioned the negative traits. These are cold facts.

He's only got an asset to defend his case... he delivers... oops, wrong answer! Three years not delivering (hopefully four)! Can't you see that he is in a dangerous position?!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1447
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 6:47:46 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

How can you not understand it? He plays ugly football (anti-football) despite he's got everything he wants. He trolls everyone. He insults his own colleagues, his players (when they do not win aka they dare sully his CV! ). He's said he would only coach ELITE teams!

I have mentioned the negative traits. These are cold facts.

He's only got an asset to defend his case... he delivers... oops, wrong answer! Three years not delivering (hopefully four)! Can't you see that he is in a dangerous position?!
warspite1

Three years not delivering? Oh this gets better. So now, in addition, to arbitrarily not allowing any trophies won in his Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan days, you refuse to allow La Liga......(in addition of course to not allowing any other major trophies).

Wow, guess you must be right, if you take away every trophy he's ever won, then Mourinho has never won anything......

Thank-you for helping me see things in a new light. If I discount every trophy ever won by Manchester United, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea, Manchester City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aston Villa and Sunderland, I reckon Spurs are the most successful team in English football! Hurrah!!!!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/13/2014 10:19:16 AM >

Post #: 1448
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 7:52:10 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I have mentioned the negative traits. These are cold facts

warspite1

Why is it unusual, and why does it make you angry that he only wants to coach "elite" teams? As I said previously, managers only tend to go "downwards" in job status if they muck up and have to repair their reputation.

Or are you suggesting that after Barcelona and Bayern that Guardiola's next job is at Wigan Athletic?

Post #: 1449
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 8:12:21 AM   
Orm

You make it sound that the team that Mourinho manages has the best team and players in the world and that winning titles should be expected with a good manager but with Mourinho the team underperforms. Is that your intention?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1450
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 12:57:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Why is it unusual, and why does it make you angry that he only wants to coach "elite" teams?

When Mourinho took over at Real Madrid, the sacked coach (Pellegrini) went to Malaga (in La Liga) IIRC. And once again this mean personage could not stop saying something... "if I were to be sacked I would never go to Malaga". Which was a vile insult thrown to a fallen colleague (Pellegrini). Ever heard about Karma? Pelligrini in charge of Manchester City. And he might win the league...

This comment clearly proves Mourinho would not train NON elite teams aka QED. Guardiola on the other hand, never said he would not train Wigan. It's called respect.

And you keep talking about what he won. I am not talking, interested about that. I perfectly know how he did that: millions and then cheap anti-football (he is not impressing me: a guy who uses a Rolls Royce as a cart is not what I consider a genius, great coach). I am more interested in the recent past and future... He is not delivering. And delivering is his very oxygen because everything else is *N E G A T I V E*

In fact you said it: he is the perfect business-oriented coach. I totally agree... Now add to the equation that he has not delivered on these last three years. Really, just one league in a team like Real Madrid (mega rich -the richest RM in history LOL- and with really good players) is a joke. Those who run this circus know this, be sure of this.

quote:

You make it sound that the team that Mourinho manages has the best team and players in the world and that winning titles should be expected with a good manager but with Mourinho the team underperforms. Is that your intention?

It's Mourinho and everyone else. I am surprised you're still not convinced that having great players is most of the job. To me it's clear. Winning is never guaranteed but the job is much easier (or almost impossible if you lack these players).

It's not what he's done, it's how he's done it. I would think Mourinho is amazing IF he was doing these things with teams of the middle of the table: average and poor players that is (NO money then). Then I would perfectly understand why he is parking the bus (to survive). I would even want him to be promoted to an elite team. BUT I would not expect him to keep playing as if he was in charge of his old mediocre team (anti-football, parking the bus etc.)!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1451
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 1:34:46 PM   
warspite1

And you keep talking about what he's like as a person.... Yes we are both agreed he is unlikeable as a person and in some of the things he does (although in that he is hardly alone amongst successful managers).

Mourinho is a football manager, he is judged on his results. If you are not interested in what he has won then that is fine, that's up to you - but the rest of the football world will look at what he's done, and recognise it for what its truly worth - and not simply decide to ignore it and airbrush out of history because it doesn't suit a certain argument. You can say as many times as you like, that only the last three years count, but that does not make it true - Mourinho has SEVEN league championships and TWO Champions Leagues. Try as you might, you cannot make them go away.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/13/2014 2:37:15 PM >

Post #: 1452
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 2:06:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

We're clearly on the antipodes

Results are not everything. Mythical Brazil of the 50s, 60s is everything. Or Holland in the 70s. Or the German Football Ruthless Machine. Hell, I even came to appreciate the Italian catenaccio.

In the end it's funny... we remember those who CREATED, not those who destroyed. And this despite catenaccio is destruction. But after all Italians invented it (therefeore they were creating -a tool of destruction ).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1453
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 2:46:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

We're clearly on the antipodes

Results are not everything. Mythical Brazil of the 50s, 60s is everything. Or Holland in the 70s. Or the German Football Ruthless Machine. Hell, I even came to appreciate the Italian catenaccio.

In the end it's funny... we remember those who CREATED, not those who destroyed. And this despite catenaccio is destruction. But after all Italians invented it (therefeore they were creating -a tool of destruction ).
warspite1

And that is the comment that sums up the main contradiction inherent in your posts. You do not like Mourinho's style of football - its functional, park the bus etc etc. But you lavish praise on the "German Football Ruthless Machine". No place for the Mighty Magyars - who happened to lose to those functional Germans in the 1954 final .

Post #: 1454
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 3:01:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

They parked (Germans or anyone else) the bus in 1954? Are you sure?

In Football there's an evolution. Pre WW2 it was crazy, a dream made true: 5, 6 attackers, "defence? Who cares about defence!". After WW2 until Mexico 86 teams kept attacking (and attacking means creation, imagination, TALENT!). Then the Italians in Spain 82 appeared with a first version of catenaccio, defeating the most magnificent team I have EVER seen in my entire life: Brazil -Socrates, Zico & Co.

In Mexico 86 something *happens*

Brazil is not Brazil anymore. The same can be said about all the other teams (except Holland). Strong midfields, defences... they don't attack like crazy anymore.

It's the struggle between the Light vs Darkness. I am on the side of the Light (attack, talent, creation, imagination). Now choose your side.

Amen

P.S.: needless to say Mourinho is Darth Vader reincarnate

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1455
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 3:07:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

They parked (Germans or anyone else) the bus in 1954? Are you sure?

In Football there's an evolution. Pre WW2 it was crazy, a dream made true: 5, 6 attackers, "defence? Who cares about defence!". After WW2 until Mexico 86 teams kept attacking (and attacking means creation, imagination, TALENT!). Then the Italians in Spain 82 appeared with a first version of catenaccio, defeating the most magnificent team I have EVER seen in my entire life: Brazil -Socrates, Zico & Co.

In Mexico 86 something *happens*

Brazil is not Brazil anymore. The same can be said about all the other teams (except Holland). Strong midfields, defences... they don't attack like crazy anymore.

It's the struggle between the Light vs Darkness. I am on the side of the Light (attack, talent, creation, imagination). Now choose your side.

Amen

P.S.: needless to say Mourinho is Darth Vader reincarnate
warspite1

Hungary 54, Holland 74, Holland 78, Brazil 82. There is a consistent theme there isn't there.....

Post #: 1456
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 3:22:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

warspite1

Hungary 54, Holland 74, Holland 78, Brazil 82. There is a consistent theme there isn't there.....

Yes, there's a pattern here: no one (victors and defeated) parked the bus, that's the whole point. Except perhaps Italy in 82. Not entirely true though. Rossi (their striker) was not ordered to pull back and play as a wing-back (as some guy from Cameroun)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1457
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 4:26:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yes, there's a pattern here: no one (victors and defeated) parked the bus, that's the whole point. Except perhaps Italy in 82. Not entirely true though. Rossi (their striker) was not ordered to pull back and play as a wing-back (as some guy from Cameroun)
warspite1

Nope...guess again.

Post #: 1458
RE: European Championships - 4/13/2014 7:21:23 PM   
Orm

I am convinced that having great players is very important. But I am also convinced that it takes skill to make stars perform on the field as you want them to perform. Even more so if you have divas in the team.

Spain national team, for example, almost always have had a lot of stars that more or less constantly underperformed in the World Cup. Once they got their gear together they begun to win more.

I am not saying that Mourinho had a superb record in Madrid but he performed better than you give him credit for. I think that Madrid underperformed before he took over. And making it to the semi-finals in the **** Champions League is not a disaster. Many actually consider this a good result. Especially when considering Madrid's track record in the Champions League before Mourinho.

What I am trying to say is that the teams that he manages, while good, are not so outstanding that they can be expected to win the Champions League and their national league every year. In my humble opinion there are teams out there with better players than most of the teams that he has managed.

Furthermore, I think, that since his services seem to be well paid and in demand he must have some skill in what he is doing. Even if part of that skill is to make stars and football divas to play defensive football.

Also note that I am not that fond of him and how he acts. But that can be said about many people in football.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1459
RE: European Championships - 4/14/2014 10:28:19 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

What I am trying to say is that the teams that he manages, while good, are not so outstanding that they can be expected to win the Champions League and their national league every year. In my humble opinion there are teams out there with better players than most of the teams that he has managed.

100% Agreed He IS very effective (not the last three years though, let's hope that will be the pattern), no one will dispute that. As I see it, he could perfectly win the Champions League. With anti-football, parking the bus tactics though. My money is on Bayern but who knows.

As regards Spain, I disagree. Tbey never had a Golden Generation (and I mean a lot of world-class players). They could have lost the same (as Holland) but they managed to put these great players to good use. Just for the record, I think that cycle is over. Again, having these exceptional players is most of the job.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1460
RE: European Championships - 4/19/2014 8:38:38 PM   
TulliusDetritus

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Chelsea 1 - 2 Sunderland

Sunderland? Who's Sunderland? "He" sure delivers

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1461
RE: European Championships - 4/20/2014 6:11:05 AM   
warspite1

quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Chelsea 1 - 2 Sunderland

Sunderland? Who's Sunderland? "He" sure delivers

warspite1

Why are you wetting your pants over this? I mean, don't get me wrong, Chelsea losing at home to Sunderland is quite funny , as is Mourinho's pathetic post match interview which had all the class and sophistication we have come to expect . Hopefully he will get in trouble with the Premier League for this ridiculous outburst

But the "He sure delivers" rubbish? It's one result, and the kind of result every manager - yes even every truly great manager like Mourinho - will have many times in their careers.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/20/2014 7:13:36 AM >

Post #: 1462
RE: European Championships - 4/21/2014 6:31:04 PM   
warspite1

All the talk is that David Moyes will go today or tomorrow..... So much for giving him time.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1463
RE: European Championships - 4/21/2014 7:26:17 PM   
Orm

Football is a stupid game anyway.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1464
RE: European Championships - 4/22/2014 10:05:22 AM   
TulliusDetritus

So it's definitely "Moyes OUT!".

And tonight The Bus Derby (aka first semi-final)!

Atlético de Madrid Bus v1.0 vs Chelsea Bus v7.01

The question is will Simeone outbus Mourinho?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1465
RE: European Championships - 4/22/2014 3:24:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

All the talk is that David Moyes will go today or tomorrow..... So much for giving him time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 4/22/2014 4:24:46 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1466
RE: European Championships - 4/22/2014 8:48:27 PM   
Orm

Watched Chelsea park the bus in Madrid. And they got the 0-0 match they wanted.

While I agree that it might be boring to watch it, I think it takes skill from the manager to park that bus so well that it blocks all attempts from Madrid to score.

Post #: 1467
RE: European Championships - 4/22/2014 10:13:50 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Watched Chelsea park the bus in Madrid. And they got the 0-0 match they wanted.

While I agree that it might be boring to watch it, I think it takes skill from the manager to park that bus so well that it blocks all attempts from Madrid to score.

I am pretty certain they wanted 0 - 1

0 - 0 is dangerous for Chelsea now. Scoring away is a must in this competition. It's close to a knock out. Soooo... if Atlético scores at Stamford Bridge... Chelsea might be in deep trouble Because a second goal might follow a first goal... And that's game over.

As for these cheap tactics, my view is totally opposite. These are the tactics used by small teams. Period. Mourinho is more successful because he's got great players... whilst the small teams which use these tactics (to survive, never forget it) have much less skilled players. Ergo, that's why Mourinho (or any other coach doing this) can be more successful... than the small teams he is emulating.

There's no glory in here. Only a small man using small teams tactics. No one will ever convince me that this clown is a genius.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1468
RE: European Championships - 4/23/2014 7:22:21 PM   
TulliusDetritus

My prediction for the rest of the competition.

Bayern and Atletico will make it to the final. And Bayern will be the champion

Post #: 1469
RE: European Championships - 4/27/2014 8:16:17 AM   
warspite1

Fulham Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

A two goal lead blown.....

Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI