Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/10/2014 2:00:16 PM   
Josh

Re-reading Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad".
No joy reading that though

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 1081
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/10/2014 6:49:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

warspite1

Good book though.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 1082
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/10/2014 7:27:27 PM   
Jeffrey H.

The Outpost by Jake Tapper. Just finished Rivethead, by some guy who knows Michael Moore.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1083
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/10/2014 7:38:36 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I'm still reading Heavy Metal: A Tank Company's Battle to Baghdad. Book has roster of the Cobra Company. I'm confused about part detailing M113 APCs. Only 1 M113 (Cobra Seven-Seven) list vehicle commander (1st Sgt. Jose Mercado), but others seem to be without. And then is vehicle (Cobra Communications) with only 1 crewman listed (Spc. Marcelle Tucker).

Read that, I felt it was more about keeping the unit together and going than the actual battles. Actually I prefer Zuccino's "Thunder Run" for a more action oriented read.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1084
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/12/2014 5:13:37 PM   
Orm

Kristallnatten (Kristallnacht) by Öyvind Foss.

While reading this book I needed to have my angry pants on.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 1085
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/12/2014 6:18:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Warspite1

Will sir be requiring his angry shirt too?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1086
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/12/2014 6:22:16 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Will sir be requiring his angry shirt too?

That is a splendid idea!

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1087
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/12/2014 7:29:05 PM   
wodin

I lent it to my brother in law who isn't really into military history..however he said it was the best book he had ever read..and he is well read.

It is a great narrative, though some question some of his thoughts I'd say it's a brilliant book to get someone into military history.
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

warspite1

Good book though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1088
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/16/2014 7:33:49 PM   
downloadfreegamess

Reading a matrix forum post and laughing on this:o

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 1089
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/17/2014 12:18:04 AM   
Curtis Lemay

"MFC Programming from the Ground Up, second edition", Herbert Schildt, 1998.

To give you some idea of how obsolete MFC is, I got this tome from Amazon for $1.98. If I had any sense, I'd switch to C#. But then I'd have to learn C#. For C++, MFC is about it if you want to create Windows applications (as far as I know).

I had to go through some wild gyrations to get MFC to even work on my freebie Express version of MS Visual C++, but it seems to be working so far. I'm feeling kinda proud of that.

(in reply to downloadfreegamess)
Post #: 1090
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/18/2014 8:40:03 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

quote:

No - nothing specific on camo I'm afraid - its a good book though

As I expected, but thanks for the information.

By the way, in case someone is interested, John B.Lundstrom's book, The First South Pacific Campaign: Pacific Fleet Strategy December 1941 - June 1942 will be published as paperback on March 30 - the original hardcopy, published 1977, currently sells from 110 Euros (used) up to Euro 185 (new)
warspite1

Yes I am interested - thanks for the tip Hotschi. Do you have the original? Is it just a story about the Battle of the Coral Sea?

quote:

warspite1 Thank-you, I will wait and get your feedback if that is okay. I currently have

Book arrived yesterday - publication postponed. Reviewing the chapters, Lundstrom covers the whole South Pacific Campaign, beginning with the Japanes invasion of Rabaul, and ends with June 1942.

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1091
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/20/2014 6:24:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No - nothing specific on camo I'm afraid - its a good book though

As I expected, but thanks for the information.

By the way, in case someone is interested, John B.Lundstrom's book, The First South Pacific Campaign: Pacific Fleet Strategy December 1941 - June 1942 will be published as paperback on March 30 - the original hardcopy, published 1977, currently sells from 110 Euros (used) up to Euro 185 (new)
warspite1

Yes I am interested - thanks for the tip Hotschi. Do you have the original? Is it just a story about the Battle of the Coral Sea?

quote:

warspite1 Thank-you, I will wait and get your feedback if that is okay. I currently have

Book arrived yesterday - publication postponed. Reviewing the chapters, Lundstrom covers the whole South Pacific Campaign, beginning with the Japanes invasion of Rabaul, and ends with June 1942.
warspite1

I have it on order too. Look forward to it.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1092
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/21/2014 5:53:19 PM   
fodder

"AIRFORCE" Novelized by John O. Watson

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1093
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/21/2014 7:51:56 PM   
Orm

I am currently reading James Holland's books about James Tanner. I am slightly disappointed with them at the moment because I get a little to much of a superman feeling. I do hope that this is passing since I am generally fond of books like this.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 1094
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/26/2014 6:35:14 PM   
Hotschi

Finished In Command of History: Churchill Fighting and Writing the Second World War by David Reynolds - highly recommended. Reynolds explains how WSC - together with his Syndicate (among them Ismay, Pownall, Kelly, Allen, and Cabinet Secretary Brook) - wrote his 6 volumes about WW II. Some of the words Reynolds most used when examing the content of the 6 volumes, are "economically with the truth", "far from being candid", "disingenious" and "not true". But in all he remains fair to WSC (not once in the book he writes that Churchill "lied"). One has to remember that, after all, WSC was a politician, and what most people in this profession like to do, is to link themselves to events which were a success - and to shift blame on others in failures. WSC is no exception. Churchill himself said that he wrote the history of the Second World War "from his own point of view." And he wrote it at a time when he still aspired to get back into office - which means he couldn't be all too frank about still living leaders of other countries, Tito and Stalin for example - and, writing very close after the events described, when many things, most notably Ultra, were classified (and remained so well into the seventies). Also, one has to consider the capability of human memory. While very critical of his work, Reynolds remains convinced that Churchill was one of the greatest statesmen of Great Britain and that during WW II, he was the right man at the right place - and in my own humble opinion of WSC and his "darker sides", Reynolds is absolutely right when saying so.

Also finished Bull Halsey by E.B. Potter, very interesting reading, gave me a couple of chuckles about Halsey's "compromises" with his wife (which usually meant he did as she told...) and with a very good analysis of "Bull's Run", Halsey's encounters with typhoons and a very good decription of the surrender ceremony on the battleship Missouri. Learned that Leyte haunted him all his life; just a month before his death he was heavily engaged in defending his decisions there. He exploded about Samuel E. Morison's criticism, writing that "the Navy could have saved all the money for educating all it's senior commanders, as Morison knows it all better anyway". Another victim of his decision to go north for Ozawa without covering the San Bernadino Strait, was his long friendship with Kinkaid. Potter writes in a very readable style, and I hope his biography of Nimitz will be just the same.

Started reading The Bombing War: Europe, 1939-1945 by Richard Overy - an analysis of the whole bombing war, as can be expected about the Blitz and Allied bombing of Germany proper, but, notably, also including the German bombing of Soviet cities as well as Allied bombing of Italy and German occupied European territories and of its Balkan allies. Read about 90 pages out of 800 so far, and Overy so far refrains from finger-pointing or opinionating. Impressed so far.

Also started Black Shoe Carrier Admiral: Frank Jack Fletcher at Coral Sea, Midway, and Guadalcanal by John Lundstrom - let's see what Lundstrom has to say about Fletcher and his reputation. Gives also a brief overview about his service before these battles as well as a dozen pages about his ongoing career thereafter in the North Pacific. Fletcher was also critizised by Morison in his History of United States Naval Operations in World War II. Just to mention, as Fletcher discovered that Morison erred in placing him in the Minneapolis as his flagship of Crudiv Six on 7 December 1941 instead of the Astoria, Fletcher wrote to him in October 1948 to correct him. Seems that Morison never altered his text (would be interesting if this error is still included in the recent paperback reprints. I got them all, but they're in the basement, not yet read).

Speaking of Morison, is there any book available which covers all the errors in his 15 volume work, some sort of analysis comparable to Reynold's book above?

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 4/26/2014 7:56:05 PM >

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1095
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2014 7:54:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you, sounds like a title worth getting, just like another one, Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenham.

Thank you. I am putting Scramble for Africa on my "to buy" list at once.
warspite1

Ordered from Amazon - thanks for the tip Hotschi

warspite1

Wow...it arrived today... on a Sunday...

Amazingly fast.
warspite1

Having trouble getting into this at the moment Only read the Prologue so far, but do not find the writers style particularly easy to follow... Let's hope it improves....

warspite1

Scrub that I spoke too soon

The Prologue was difficult - and frankly a bit of a ball ache... not sure why?

But two chapters in now - and this is proving to be a really good book!

warspite1

Back reading this now after being sidetracked by other books. Just read the chapter on Bismarck's conference in 1884-85. Got to say, I have absolutely no idea what the hell went on?!?!?!?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1096
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2014 5:17:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

Back reading this now after being sidetracked by other books. Just read the chapter on Bismarck's conference in 1884-85. Got to say, I have absolutely no idea what the hell went on?!?!?!?

Doesn't the book explain it?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1097
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2014 5:34:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, there is a whole chapter devoted to it. Having read said chapter I have no idea why what happened, happened.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1098
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2014 5:39:06 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, there is a whole chapter devoted to it. Having read said chapter I have no idea why what happened, happened.

I think that many who were there had no idea what had happened. Or if anything at all actually happened. And of those who had an idea of what had happened there I am pretty sure that they all had a different idea.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1099
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2014 5:48:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

I think that many who were there had no idea what had happened. Or if anything at all actually happened. And of those who had an idea of what had happened there I am pretty sure that they all had a different idea.
warspite1

I'm in good company then.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1100
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/27/2014 7:03:31 PM   
berto

The Arab-Israeli Wars, by Chaim Herzog

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1101
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2014 9:56:22 PM   
fodder

The Campaign for Guadalcanal, by Jack Coggins

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 1102
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 4/30/2014 10:00:56 PM   
Aurelian

Swords around the Throne.

How Rome Fell.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 1103
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/1/2014 5:23:22 AM   
Orm

I just finnished rereading Slaget om Västeuropa : Flygkrig, strategi och politik sommaren 1940 (The Battle for Western Europe: The Air War, Strategy and Policy the summer of 1940) by Michael Tamelander.

To bad that his books does not seem to be translated to English.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1104
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/2/2014 2:53:47 AM   
sanch

General Kenney Reports - his autobiography as MacArthur's air general 42-45. Published in 1949 (that's even older than me!). An interesting read, and refreshingly non-politically correct ("Japs", "Nips", etc).

It's amazing the number of times he says things like "information received indicates they will be running a convoy on ..." an exact date " ... to ..." an exact destination.

It's now late 44, and he's about to do the jump from Dutch New Guinea to Halmahera.

To all the AFB's out there - in 42 and into 43, he had to do some serious scrounging to get planes into the air. At one point he had about half of his total manpower repairing/rebuilding planes. And if a B-25 or B-17 went down anywheres near a flat grassy field, he'd fly in a couple C-47's and drop off a scavenging crew. And then a couple days later the C-47's would come back and pick up all the spare parts and sheet aluminum they could stuff into the planes.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1105
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/3/2014 9:57:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

warspite1

I'm in good company then.....
warspite1

Just read the chapter on the Germans and East Africa... I think I struggled to understand a word of that

Some chapters are riveting - others are just confusing as hell.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1106
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/10/2014 5:57:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

General Kenney Reports - his autobiography as MacArthur's air general 42-45. Published in 1949 (that's even older than me!). An interesting read, and refreshingly non-politically correct ("Japs", "Nips", etc).

It's amazing the number of times he says things like "information received indicates they will be running a convoy on ..." an exact date " ... to ..." an exact destination.

It's now late 44, and he's about to do the jump from Dutch New Guinea to Halmahera.

To all the AFB's out there - in 42 and into 43, he had to do some serious scrounging to get planes into the air. At one point he had about half of his total manpower repairing/rebuilding planes. And if a B-25 or B-17 went down anywheres near a flat grassy field, he'd fly in a couple C-47's and drop off a scavenging crew. And then a couple days later the C-47's would come back and pick up all the spare parts and sheet aluminum they could stuff into the planes.

warspite1

Sanch I am interested to hear what Kenney has to say about MacArthur? Particularly the first 48 hours after Japan attacked Malaya, Pearl, Philippines etc?

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 1107
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/14/2014 12:05:56 PM   
Greybriar

Night of the Hunter by R.A. Salvatore.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1108
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/14/2014 4:19:21 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Second World War by Antony Beevor. And just before this one, Stalingrad, by the same author.

I had never read anything from this guy. And he really is a nice historian. I used to avoid the military historians. Only started reading them a few years ago

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 1109
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/16/2014 5:21:29 AM   
warspite1

Wodin posted recently about Mark Adkins "Western Front Companion". I recently purchased this and have two others in that series - Waterloo and Trafalgar (I think Gettysburg is the other one) and I have to agree that these are excellent books. The Waterloo version in particular is top draw - well set out, easy to read, full colour, with plenty of maps, diagrams etc, this is an excellent reference point for the battle.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1110
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI