Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weird idea for modders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Weird idea for modders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weird idea for modders - 3/17/2001 5:28:00 AM   
Billy Yank

OK, this is going to sound strange, but how about a fantasy version of SPW@W? I'm reading the second book of Harry Turtledove's "Derlivai" (spelled wrong I'm sure) series. For those unfamiliar with it, Turtledove is following the basic storyline of WWII in a world where magic takes the place of technology. All the major players and technolgies have their analogs in the story. Instead of airplanes, there's trained dragons; armored behemoths in place of tanks, etc. As I was reading the latest installment, it hit me that SPW@W could probably handle this world with a simple OOB/SHP mod. If any artistically talented Turtledove fan would like to give this a try, contact me. I could do the OOBs, but I don't have the skills to paint icons.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield
Post #: 1
- 3/18/2001 5:01:00 AM   
Figmo

Great idea - you may want to wait for SP:MW - that way you could get some modern features like cluster bombs for the magic stuff. Just a thought!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 2
- 3/18/2001 9:01:00 AM   
murx

Hrm, why just rely on one Fantasy Realm ??? There are lots of Fantasy Armies - let alone those of Warhammer Fantasy, who remembers Fantasy General from SSI ? The Ring from Tolkyen (or however his name is :) ) What about Warhamer 40K, drive some Rinos & Predator tanks along with a squad of Imperial guards against soe Tyrannids ?? murx

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 3
- 3/18/2001 9:14:00 AM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Figmo: Great idea - you may want to wait for SP:MW - that way you could get some modern features like cluster bombs for the magic stuff.
Oh, I don't know that cluster bombs are necessary. The description of the "eggs" in the book makes them sound like regular explosives. The part that I thought would give the most trouble is the "sticks" in place of guns and cannon. Since those are more like heat beams than projectile weapons, the sound effects and graphics are going to be a bit off.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 4
- 3/18/2001 9:20:00 AM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by murx: Hrm, why just rely on one Fantasy Realm ??? There are lots of Fantasy Armies - let alone those of Warhammer Fantasy, who remembers Fantasy General from SSI ? The Ring from Tolkyen (or however his name is :) ) What about Warhamer 40K, drive some Rinos & Predator tanks along with a squad of Imperial guards against soe Tyrannids ??
The trouble with trying to depict something like Tolkien's battles is their reliance on melee as the main battle element. Turtledove's battles are very much WWII battles with a fantasy "paint job". The infantry is organized by squads and platoons. They use ranged weapons, and "crystals" that act like radios, etc.

Billy Yank
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 5
- 3/18/2001 1:11:00 PM   
murx

What about archers & javeliners ? Magicians like Gandalf ? The power the Rings had ? Some mythycal beasts could spit ? Maybe the scale has to be shorter ? Like daggers range 1, swords 2, pikes, lances 3 ? And that added with the melee in version 5 :) Can give some hard time - a fireball from your favorite Magician could be used like artillery - at least he needs some time to prepare his mind and throw his mana at the enemy :) But my point was not only to focus on one Fantasy Realm but to see how maybe Hobbits fare against Skeletons - both are from complete different realms. murx

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 6
- 3/18/2001 3:34:00 PM   
USMCGrunt

I know it's a bit off the rest of the topic, but one mod I personally would love to see is a SPWAW or even SPMW of War of the Worlds (The original H.G. Wells version, not the 60's movie adaptation.) Just imagine the tripods walking around being engaged by Tigers or even the more modern M1A2's. I think there was a version of this for one of the Steel Panther series, but I'd love to see an update.

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 7
- 3/18/2001 11:28:00 PM   
Arralen

.. maybe a BattleTech mod would fit better .. not that I like BT that much, but it should be relativly easy to make .. only problem being copyright/trademark issue, maybe :rolleyes: A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 8
- 3/19/2001 11:49:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys I can pretty much rule this out for the time being...

(in reply to Billy Yank)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Weird idea for modders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI