Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Error during modding, please help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Error during modding, please help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Error during modding, please help - 5/31/2014 8:36:58 PM   
mensrea

Hello, I am working on a new mod but I seem to be stuck with an error that occurs during map generation. I have spent hours trying to fix it but I just don't know what it could be anymore and I'm hoping a set of different eyes or someone with more skills could help.

Here is the error code:
imgur(dot)com/OCYaR69

..and the mod itself is here:
dl(dot)dropboxusercontent(dot)com/u/56152025/DW_Conquest_v.1a.zip

The error code references asteroids but I removed every reference to asteroids in the code that I could think of and it still persists. I have narrowed the error (seemingly) down to resources as if I swap in the vanilla resources it seems to be fine.

I also removed all references to any resource but 0 in components and races.

Any ideas?
EDIT: Sorry about the broken links, but I am apparently not allowed to post real links until I have been on the forum for a week.

EDIT AGAIN: I uploaded the .txt file which I believe to be at fault in case someone didn't want the whole mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 5/31/2014 9:51:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Error during modding, please help - 5/31/2014 9:22:11 PM   
mensrea

Hmm, something very strange just happened. I made a change that I had made before but hadnt worked, launched the game and got an error upon world gen. For some reason I decided to launch it again with the same changes in place, and this time it worked? Anyway, I think I fixed this error.

EDIT: No, its still messed up. Sometimes I get the error code from the previous post, sometimes I get the attached error code, and sometimes it runs anyway.

I still find that resources that I set to 100% or vital are not showing up at all, though, which is bad.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 5/31/2014 11:27:40 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 2
RE: Error during modding, please help - 5/31/2014 11:07:50 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: mensrea

Hello, I am working on a new mod but I seem to be stuck with an error that occurs during map generation. I have spent hours trying to fix it but I just don't know what it could be anymore and I'm hoping a set of different eyes or someone with more skills could help.

Here is the error code:
imgur(dot)com/OCYaR69

..and the mod itself is here:
dl(dot)dropboxusercontent(dot)com/u/56152025/DW_Conquest_v.1a.zip

The error code references asteroids but I removed every reference to asteroids in the code that I could think of and it still persists. I have narrowed the error (seemingly) down to resources as if I swap in the vanilla resources it seems to be fine.

I also removed all references to any resource but 0 in components and races.

Any ideas?
EDIT: Sorry about the broken links, but I am apparently not allowed to post real links until I have been on the forum for a week.

EDIT AGAIN: I uploaded the .txt file which I believe to be at fault in case someone didn't want the whole mod.

The following is not meant to offend, just trying to you understand where things may have gone wonky and offering some insight.

I had a look through the resources file and to be honest it is a bit difficult to read, spacing things out make things a lot easier to check when you do get errors. Also looking at the file you have changed / edited quite a bit, so it is very difficult to determine the problem, you really need to edit one thing at a time and test it, edit the next thing and test that etc, once you have got used to it and gained confidence then you will find that you can make larger edits before testing. All I can really hazard a guess at is the resource file, the zip you posted is also missing all the images needed that are defined in the file, you seem to have copied The Ancient Galaxy and are trying to work from that, that theme has a lot of custom work in and that may also be a problem.

Darkspire

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 3
RE: Error during modding, please help - 5/31/2014 11:14:34 PM   
mensrea

Well, I think I just narrowed it down to the resources file. I put my resources in the vanilla resources file and filled up resources 25-40 with the vanilla ones. With the only changes to the game being resources 0-25, that narrows it down a good bit. Curious, if I add new fuels do I have to do something else to specify that components can use them? I'm not seeing anything in the components file.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 4
RE: Error during modding, please help - 5/31/2014 11:21:38 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

I'm not seeing anything in the components file.

Line 127, character 134

' - Reactor: Value1=energy output per second, Value2=energy storage capacity, Value3=fuel units required to charge to full capacity, Value4=fuel resource Id, Value5-7 unused

Darkspire

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 5
RE: Error during modding, please help - 5/31/2014 11:24:27 PM   
mensrea

LOL, well, I derped hard! Thanks man!

EDIT: So I swapped the uranium and hydrogen, my fuels, with the slots of caslon and hydrogen, launched the game, and it worked. Then I tried to launch it again and it stopped working thereafter?

I attached the resource file, which I have went over a million times now, and not found anything referencing something that's not there.

Question: do fuels HAVE to be gas?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 6/1/2014 12:32:36 AM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 2:00:37 AM   
Antarian

DarkSpire is wise, this game it is very easy to 'a mod too far...' and blow the game up. The crashdumps are pretty much useless at figuring things out, you need to carefully track what you mod, and know how to get back. Using a custom folder for all mods so you can switch it out and delete if necessary is also essential. If you take on the main folder, THERE BE DRAGONS...

"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 7
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 3:19:01 AM   
mensrea

Ok, so after hours of testing and gradually adding bits and pieces in it all came down to one thing; if I rename resource 14, gold, as anything else, I get an error during map generation.

I can change its spawning pattern, its status from strategic to luxury, its cost, its necessity as a pre-warp resource, and everything else.

If I change the name, though, it all goes to ****.

My mind is blown, as basically this one small tiny thing has locked up my progress for many hours.

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 8
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 4:08:06 AM   
AnddyiRaynor

Doubt it there's a actual resource mod (that's what it should be called page #4 atm I think) that changed gold to silicon. (because gold isn't a real resource? that little fact means I'll never use it.)

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 9
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 5:20:25 AM   
Antarian

Steel is the one that should be changed, it's just iron with a bit of carbon. Carbon fibre is also manufactured, not a resource. Water is a major resource, and isn't in the game. Neither is any kind of fossil fuel, like petroleum or natural gas.

Watched an interesting doc recently about private space mining, which is just getting started. One guy estimated that one large water rich asteroid could provide all the rocket fuel burned in all the shuttle missions flown (!).

"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.

(in reply to AnddyiRaynor)
Post #: 10
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 5:20:33 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

Ok, so after hours of testing and gradually adding bits and pieces in it all came down to one thing; if I rename resource 14, gold, as anything else, I get an error during map generation.

I can change its spawning pattern, its status from strategic to luxury, its cost, its necessity as a pre-warp resource, and everything else.

If I change the name, though, it all goes to ****.

My mind is blown, as basically this one small tiny thing has locked up my progress for many hours.

Attach the text file and I will have a look, the last one attached does not have 14 as Gold.

Darkspire

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 11
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 6:33:34 AM   
mensrea

Here is the most recent resource file. I am now working on the images, the components, and the technology. I left gold in and just worked around it, but I really wanted to just have "precious metals" instead, to represent inordinate amounts of metals like gold, silver and platinum, among others. I set golds spawn rate really low.

And yeah, if it worked somewhere else that's great, but I could not change golds name without world gen failing. There are a lot of dependencies that I am missing though, I suspect.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 12
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 6:35:59 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

Here is the most recent resource file. I am now working on the images, the components, and the technology. I left gold in and just worked around it, but I really wanted to just have "precious metals" instead, to represent inordinate amounts of metals like gold, silver and platinum, among others. I set golds spawn rate really low.

And yeah, if it worked somewhere else that's great, but I could not change golds name without world gen failing. There are a lot of dependencies that I am missing though, I suspect.

Gold is listed as a luxury (2), not a strategic resource (1)

Darkspire

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 13
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 6:51:26 AM   
mensrea

Yeah that's intentional. I am using general stuff like ores/minerals to represent the resources that are needed the most for development. Anything specific is considered to be in very high concentrations and so a something that boosts development (a luxury resource in this game).

Now that you mention it I may remove water as a necessary resource. People could always recycle it, or make it with gases, etc. I just figured that on worlds like desert and volcano with 20 billion+ people it would be very valuable, or even in deep space. It seems to be one too many necessary resources though.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 14
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 7:16:30 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

Yeah that's intentional. I am using general stuff like ores/minerals to represent the resources that are needed the most for development. Anything specific is considered to be in very high concentrations and so a something that boosts development (a luxury resource in this game).

Now that you mention it I may remove water as a necessary resource. People could always recycle it, or make it with gases, etc. I just figured that on worlds like desert and volcano with 20 billion+ people it would be very valuable, or even in deep space. It seems to be one too many necessary resources though.

If it is an intentional edit, have you changed all the components that use Gold? I was warned against using luxury resources in components as it can cause problems.

Darkspire

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 15
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 7:44:47 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

I think water is plentiful in the universe. If there is a water dependent race is living on a desert world, they should know how to get water, right? If not they would not be living there.

As for issues with the resource file. If you think you may have a syntax error (commas messed up), try to load the file in a spreadsheet. Libre Office is free and works. Load it with the comma as field separator, and your info should be nicely lined up, and errors in the structure should become quite apparent.

Example, I copied a resource.txt from the game, and removed a comma from the first line (emeros). Then open it with LibreOffice Calc, and make sure comma is the separator.

The error in the emeros line is pretty obvious:

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 6/2/2014 8:04:14 AM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 16
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 10:57:19 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

The error in the emeros line is pretty obvious:

Would be if I could see it

Darkspire

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 17
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/1/2014 4:45:52 PM   
mensrea

Yeah, I went through everything in the components file and changed it to only require resource 0 for now (testing purposes). There is a fairly good chance I missed something, but the issue remains: why must resource 14 be named gold. Components/race files all call on the number 14, not the name gold. But, its almost irrelevant now, I just worked around it anyway.

On another note, I can't decide whether theme wise I want to go for warframe or warhammer 40k. If I do warframe I will probably do a custom scenario, if I do warhammer I will just set everything up to take place before the horus heresy. I'm just wondering with the 40k stuff if games workshop would go berserk or something. I have heard of them going pretty far out of their way to protect their IP.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 18
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/2/2014 7:05:40 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Would be if I could see it

Darkspire

I could see it just fine

I put it at a new location, and edited my post.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 19
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/3/2014 1:13:20 AM   
Antarian

I think Hydrogen is far more plentiful than H20, yet it's required to be mined. Water similarly would require to be mined from asteroids and transferred from water-rich colonies. The conflict between water as necessary to life and water as needed in heavy industry is already apparent on our own world. As spacefaring races expand and their populations grow, I'd think they'd constantly be on the hunt for a good water supply. Our own solar system is teeming with hydrogen compared to water.

The resources list is completely illogical, a mash-bag of true valuable minerals and things that are manufactured currently on Earth. I don't think we'd even be using steel by the time we have interstellar spaceflight, it would be some ultra-light and strong titanium derivative I'd guess.

It would be nice to see someone put some thought into it and hash out a proper resource list.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 20
RE: Error during modding, please help - 6/3/2014 11:09:33 PM   
mensrea

After play testing with water I have decided to leave it in. So far, here are the resources I have added. Feedback is appreciated, notably in the realism/game balance dept.

I.Strategic resources

A.Ore
1.metal bearing material
2.necessary for colony growth

B.Rare Ores
1.ores which are valuable but typically not abundant
2.only necessary for ship construction; trace amounts are found enough in normal ores to maintain civil industry

C.Minerals
1.other valuable mined products

D.Rare Minerals
1.minerals which are valuable but typically not abundant
2.only necessary for ship construction; trace amounts are found enough in normal ores to maintain civil industry

E.Gas
1.though gas can be produced through various industrial processes involving minerals this unique mention pertains only to vast, highly economical sources
2.only necessary for some weapon and ship parts

F.Food
1.foodstuffs

G.Water
1.water

H.Uranium
1.a radioactive element, one of the most energy dense substances in the universe and ideal for the generation of electricity
2.early fuel

I.Helium-3
1.a stable isotope of helium, able to be fused for net positive energy using even primitive (relatively, its 2100 in game) technology
2.mid range fuel

J.Hydrogen
1.the most abundant element in the universe. despite this ranking its value to industry is enormous and large, concentrated deposits are a sought after resource for both civil and military purposes
2.end game fuel; used in fusion reactions

II.Luxury resources

A.biodiversity
1.flora and fauna. everything from food, to medicine, to mind altering substances. can be caged, clipped or bottled to be sent off world to the delight of the masses

B.hydrocarbons
1.a diverse range of substances stretching from methane to heavy, sour crude. useful in many industrial applications, and possessing a high EROI in instances where deposits are sizable. synthetics and alternatives will do, but these do it cheaper

C.artifacts
1.remnants of bygone civilizations. they range from artsy and ethnic to advanced and deadly. sought after by numerous institutions and individuals

D.rare gas
1.though industrial processes enable civilizations to manufacture certain less abundant gasses to an extent, sizable deposits of such gasses are never the less a massive boon to industries that exploit them effectively

E.gold
1.its here because I apparently cannot remove it. moving on

F.exotic matter
1.substances that exist beyond the fringe of current scientific knowledge. while novel uses may exist for them, they are mostly relegated to study at civil R&D institutions, which for a intergalactic empires constitute a sizable amount of economic activity

G.Thorium
1.the second most energy dense form of matter in the universe. thorium can be utilized in cheap, effective, and relatively safe reactors. though thorium is less effective than uranium, its less destructive byproducts lead to its widespread appreciation and utilization among civilian populations

H.Precious metals
1.Gold, silver and platinum, and in tremendous quantities. though civil and military industry can generally work with small enough quantities of the stuff to guarantee a supply given even the most uneconomical sources, amounts this large are a tremendous boon to society. further, their use in establishing stable monetary systems in certain cultures cannot be overlooked

I.Industrial goods
1.manufactured products for use in civil industry. though colonies are more than capable of producing their own goods, given enough time and population, a prefabricated source of such necessary goods certainly expedites the process of development

J.Consumer goods
1.manufactured products intended to be used by civilians for private purposes, chiefly entertainment. whether booze, video games, or all terrain hover craft, everyone wants to have fun, and these products make it happen. an intergalactic trade in a variety of consumer goods is the basis of a healthy economy, and the diversity of products and prices are especially appealing to civilians

III.Rare luxuries
-note that these luxuries are intended to be the products of ancient facilities that are still functional. these are all very rare and valuable

A.Dust
1.masses of inert nano particle sized robots. imbued with programming that makes them susceptible to the neural impulses of an organism that consumes them, these robots are then able to manipulate the form and function of that organism to suit its will. depending on the cognitive abilities of the organism, they range from mundane (keeping teeth clean) to incredible (prolonging life, enhancing strength, dexterity and intelligence)

B.Mutagenics
1.mutagenic compounds that once keyed into a given organisms DNA are able to provide tremendous benefits* to those who imbibe it. *benefits may be a relative term

C.Universal Constructors
1.machines that given a sufficient supply of raw materials are able to create anything from their programming banks (though their programming banks conveniently leave out instructions for making more universal constructors). all UC's hail from several source worlds, where giant gantry UC's churn them out at their controllers will. the benefits to industry are obvious

D.Servitors
1.sentient machines which have been programmed to follow the direction of sapient masters. perfect mechanical servants with long life spans which require only a source of electricity to periodically recharge, tremendously valuable to civilians and industry

E.Armillaria fruit
1.not so much a fruit as a fungus. the Armillaria organism has in several instances managed to take over entire worlds, crowding out, consuming, or converting native organisms until the whole surface of the planet (and possibly the crust and mantle) is one giant fungal organism. in its dominance the immense thermal, chemical and solar energy it is capable of gathering actually becomes a liability; this fruit is the product of that liability. though it is perhaps one of the most energy dense forms of matter known it is also edible and quite tasty, leading it to become valuable for survival and culinary delight

(in reply to Antarian)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Error during modding, please help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI