Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 6:23:49 AM   
fabio80mi

Nice AAR =)
Next time i would love to see it one without Tech selling and more focus on managing a tight budget!
Also a few questions:
To defend the colony you said you use the recovered ship.. do you set up fleets on "defend" or do you just use a ship without automation?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 61
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 6:49:06 AM   
Buio

Great AAR, entertaining read.

(in reply to fabio80mi)
Post #: 62
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 7:28:46 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: fabio80mi

Nice AAR =)
Next time i would love to see it one without Tech selling and more focus on managing a tight budget!
Also a few questions:
To defend the colony you said you use the recovered ship.. do you set up fleets on "defend" or do you just use a ship without automation?

I may well do one without exploits at some stage to explain in detail how to get the scores mentioned in the Friendly Challenge Thread.

In this case I wanted to see if anything had changed in Universe and if no changes then demonstrate just how massive those exploits are if you play with them!!!

My colony defence ships are not in fleets. They are each on manual with the default in settings being to engage system targets. Each time there is an attack event I zoom to check what they are doing and then ensure they go back to the world they are defending when finished. This works well. I prefer to keep the number of fleets low and focused on the larger groups.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 8:29:56 AM >

(in reply to fabio80mi)
Post #: 63
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 8:48:05 AM   
Icemania

First homeworld space invasion in progress.

The 5th Fleet (Troop Transports) is holding back until the immediate area is cleared. I'll hold on destroying other structures in their home system, since after taking their homeworld all their structures and ships will become part of the Icemania Empire (this race has only 1 colony at this stage).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 9:48:46 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 64
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 8:49:22 AM   
Icemania

First homeworld ground invasion in progress.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 9:49:45 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 65
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 8:50:22 AM   
Icemania

First homeworld/empire defeated.

All their ships and bases have been reviewed to determine what to upgrade or retire. Note that every ship is less than Size 200 and many still do not have Hyperdrive.

Icemania Empire Reputation remains Admired despite the Attack (as I Declared War just beforehand).

In other news, 5 sources for Super Luxuries are now available. Note bonus income for the year is above $700k.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 9:53:10 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 66
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 1:26:16 PM   
Icemania

Traders Bazaar has completed construction but my homeworld still has some time required to reach Maximum Population (currently 16B).

Invaded a world to secure the location of the third World Destroyer.

Debris field ships continue to be repaired and retired yielding many technology boosts.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 2:26:39 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 67
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 1:27:29 PM   
Icemania

Preparing to invade the Gizurean Homeworld which has an armada of enemy ships ... it would be suicide to attack wouldn't it ... ???

Desert Colonisation Research complete so sent a Colony Ship to colonise Korabbia and waiting to send the next finished Colony Ship to the other source of Korabbian Spice.

It's now 10 years since any citizen of Icemania paid any tax due to the completely broken Technology Selling mechanic.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 2:27:52 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 68
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 1:28:36 PM   
Icemania

The Gizurean allowed the 20 Troop Transports to land before firing on them! All 20 were able to warp away! And my reputation is still Admired ... !!! The Gizurean land a bunch of their own Troop Transports to help with the defence ... too late.

The invasion will take a while ... so the attack fleets head off to destroy Pirate bases (reputation increases to Noble as a result) ... Meridium Shield completes and Vortex Engines become available (from debris field technology boosts) and all designs are updated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 2:29:01 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 69
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 1:30:56 PM   
Icemania

The invasion of the Gizurean Homeworld is complete. They have another Colony so I only get their Spaceports and Bases. Good luck funding all those ships!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 5:04:42 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 70
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 1:33:26 PM   
Icemania

Current Empire Galaxy Map

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/2/2014 1:45:17 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 71
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 1:34:46 PM   
Icemania

Immediately paid the Gizurean for peace so I can load troops and then declared war and attacked their two remaining colonies.

The Gizurean Empire is defeated so now have a several hundred ships to retire (except from Troops Transports where troops are unloaded first).

The Gizurean worlds are unhappy so will retain strong garrisons for a while.

Started building Holographic Network Wonder on the former Gizurean homeworld to increase development and also a Regional Capital.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 5:03:18 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 72
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/1/2014 4:04:06 PM   
Icemania

Current Empire Diplomacy View

I would suggest Bill Paxton best summarises the plight of the AI ... Game Over Man

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/1/2014 5:05:02 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 73
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/2/2014 11:01:26 AM   
Icemania

Invaded some nearby Human worlds via a sneak attack ... yet remain Admired in Reputation! Immediately requested Peace which was granted by that Empire ...

Checked through all worlds to make sure Colony Ships were being built where possible. Colony Ship sent to the Fortress of Torak along with 4 Defence Ships.

Construction Ships sent to build Mining Stations at source of Loros Fruit at the edge of the galaxy map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/2/2014 12:01:46 PM >

(in reply to fabio80mi)
Post #: 74
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/2/2014 11:02:48 AM   
Icemania

The Teekans are helping to repair 2 of the World Destroyers, thanks guys ... you'll get blasted later!

Casidor Weapons Facility is being built on the former Dhayut Homeworld providing a +50% Weapons Research Bonus.

7 of the 8 Super Luxuries on this map are now available with ships on the way for the last one.

The Icemania homeworld has reached maximum population so have increased taxes which has significantly reduced negative cashflow. The Gizurean homeworld will reach maximum population shortly (where Holographic Network and a Regional Capital has been built).

Plasma Thunderbolts completed research so all designs upgraded and all possible retrofits are underway. All Fleets sent to be Retrofitted.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/2/2014 12:20:06 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 75
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 6/28/2014 1:34:24 AM   
Icemania

The invasion of the Ancient Guardian did not last long ... !

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 6/28/2014 2:34:49 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 76
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 7/3/2014 5:20:05 AM   
Keston

Nice AAR. How do you do it? Duplicitous and admired! Well qualified for galactic politics.

Does expensive technology help the player or the AI more?

Going back to the settings, do you have particular reasons for Galaxy shape, aggression setting, pirate strength and no respawns, lots of creatures, and victory conditions?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 77
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 7/3/2014 1:47:09 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keston
Nice AAR. How do you do it? Duplicitous and admired! Well qualified for galactic politics.

Does expensive technology help the player or the AI more?

Going back to the settings, do you have particular reasons for Galaxy shape, aggression setting, pirate strength and no respawns, lots of creatures, and victory conditions?

Thanks Keston.

These settings really just reflect my personal preferences for a "fun" game. Throughout the AAR I've tried to provide as much information as I can to help others.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 78
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 1/11/2015 3:59:04 PM   
EsoEs

Very entertaining AAR, but your approach to the game seems extremely exploitative i.e. paying pirate protection until they leave your system then canceling, as well as the mass tech selling while running at huge deficits. These are both areas of the game I struggle with, and I was hoping to gain some insight into how other players deal with these problems. (I play with Pirates on Weak/Few and they still come with massive fleets to harass expansions, and running my economy to not lose money without building the Traders Bazaar is insanely challenging (I play extreme diffuculty chaotic aggression)). So while I enjoyed the AAR, I'd love to see you take a less exploitative approach and see you how manage these problems then.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 79
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 1/12/2015 10:47:07 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: EsoEs
Very entertaining AAR, but your approach to the game seems extremely exploitative i.e. paying pirate protection until they leave your system then canceling, as well as the mass tech selling while running at huge deficits. These are both areas of the game I struggle with, and I was hoping to gain some insight into how other players deal with these problems. (I play with Pirates on Weak/Few and they still come with massive fleets to harass expansions, and running my economy to not lose money without building the Traders Bazaar is insanely challenging (I play extreme diffuculty chaotic aggression)). So while I enjoyed the AAR, I'd love to see you take a less exploitative approach and see you how manage these problems then.

Quite right! At the time I put this AAR together I was suggesting on the main forums that some of those exploits should be closed. The purpose of the AAR, in part, was to show how ridiculously easy the game becomes if those exploits are used even on Extreme difficulty.

As for playing without exploits, here are the House Rules that I normally apply. There is also some discussion on strategy albeit Shadows is in the Friendly Challenge thread.

I don't plan to do another AAR but I would recommend following Larry Monte (Starlab) or Das, they have some really good LP's to watch.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 1/12/2015 12:27:04 PM >

(in reply to EsoEs)
Post #: 80
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 1/12/2015 3:36:22 PM   
Cauldyth

Das just started one using the Star Trek Picard Era mod:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmPLfw_GUix9PcRazjsWNZC3

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 81
RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report - 1/17/2015 7:59:34 PM   
Nyku

test

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 82
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Extreme Difficulty Universe After Action Report Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI