Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Getting Started

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Getting Started Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 7:44:44 PM   
HailRider

I'm kinda moving in that direction, unfortunately.

But I'm still trying.

Thanks

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 61
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 7:45:44 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

The ASuW Tutorial is a good starting spot. Watch out: its pretty difficult!

One thing I'd like to recommend is coming by the chatroom, https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan .
We don't just play Command, we play a whole pile of games, with a focus on cold war era and the post cold war era. Quite a bit of Kerbal Space Program and general space technology discussion.
Everyone welcome! And we try to be directly helpful.

In a couple of ways Command is like chess, and do you remember those fiendishly tough "2 moves till white checkmates" puzzles they used to publish in newspapers? Most Command scenarios are like that.

The "First Contact" scenarios are good for beginners, expect to lose at least once though . Start with 1973 or 1957. Naval warfare 'back in the day' is easier to understand.

Another good beginner one is "Iron Hand", just make sure to use your long range russian cruise missiles first!

Fighter Weapons School is also simple (if tough!).

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 62
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 7:51:18 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

I think games like command are about learning new things. For example, I'm trying right now to figure out how to fly a Falcon in Falcon BMS. Took me an hour and a half to tune my radio to request landing permission from my home airport on my way back from a mission.

If I started out knowing how to fly a falcon, I most likely wouldn't play falcon BMS. Part of the fun of simulation games is figuring out how to play them.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 63
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 8:59:20 PM   
thewood1

I thought I saw it in the manual and guess what...

Illumination Vectors
Many modern weapon systems use or require a fire-control radar to illuminate a target to guide weapons to them or improve their accuracy. This includes most modern deck guns and many surface-to-air missiles. This is displayed as a broken red line leading from shooter to target.
Using the drop-down menu, you can set this to be displayed for: the selected unit, all units or None by clicking on your choice in the drop down. It is set to None by default to lower the clutter on the display.

There is a lot more in the manual about turning radars on and limitations.

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 64
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 10:35:33 PM   
HailRider

Wow again. Enough said.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 65
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 11:28:58 PM   
thewood1

This isn't a game to pick up and start playing immediately like an ace. It takes an investment of time to not only learn the game but how a lot of things work in real life. I would think that one would have looked at a few of the 40 or so tutorial videos or looked at the forum before buying.

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 66
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 11:40:53 PM   
HailRider

You are making way too many assumptions. Give it up.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 67
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 11:42:32 PM   
HailRider

Thanks, Baloogan, for your help and understanding. Maybe we'll chat in the chatroom.

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 68
RE: Getting Started - 5/31/2014 11:48:14 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Cheers HailRider

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 69
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 4:26:34 PM   
thewood1

quote:

ORIGINAL: HailRider

Thanks for trying to help.

So, illumination is not just a radar image. What is it?

I am playing coral magpie. The ship is a DDG guided missile destroyer. The missiles are a RIM 66M, and RIM 162A ESSM

Often I can't shoot because of 'OODA loop limitation'. (Something else not documented and totally confusing)
But the main question is 'no directors are able to illuminate this target'. What does this mean? The target is only 12nm away. F1 let's them fly, but they don't hit.
What is an operator, and how do I get him to illuminate the target?

quote:

OODA loop limitation

Again...in the manual...page 49

ƒ
Weapon cannot engage this target for another [time value in sec] (OODA loop limitation): Each unit has a certain delay between first detection of a contact (or being given its data from elsewhere) and being able to target and engage it (the so called “OODA loop” – yes, the one from John “40-second” Boyd). With surprise threats this delay can often be fatal.
ƒƒ
Solution: None really, just hope that the countdown runs out before the target becomes an imminent threat. If it is already an imminent threat (e.g. incoming anti-ship missile) and it looks like it’s beating the clock, hope that the unit has automated point-defence systems that can ignore the OODA countdown and engage it. If not… brace for impact.

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 70
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 5:20:18 PM   
HailRider

Thanks for that. I did see that, but that didn't answer my question.

The loops doesn't seem to end. Do I just allocate the weapon (in shift F1) and hope it fires after the loop is over? If I just wait for the loop to be over, another one starts up.

< Message edited by HailRider -- 6/1/2014 6:26:32 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 71
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 5:33:15 PM   
Sardaukar

If you try to attack target with manual attack (Shift and F1), it'll tell you the reason if you cannot. OODA loop is rarely reason with deliberate attack, more like in surprise situations.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 72
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 6:17:48 PM   
HailRider

Ok, but I am getting it continually in Coral Magpie.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 73
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 6:58:01 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

Ok, but I am getting it continually in Coral Magpie.

Hello,

If you suspect that you have stumbled upon a problematic program behavior (ie. possible bug), please submit a bug report on our Tech Support forum. The guidelines for submitting a bug report are described here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3585262

Thanks.

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 74
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 7:35:55 PM   
Tomcat84

Hailrider if you could post a savegame of when that is happening and/or a more detailed description of which unit it is that gives it and when attacking what target, I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.

[edit] nevermind already looking at it now

< Message edited by Tomcat84 -- 6/1/2014 8:41:09 PM >

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 75
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 7:45:48 PM   
Tomcat84

Hailrider, can you specify the target that you are trying to attack? Is it the neutral Russian helicopter approaching from the north? My quick testing reveals that indeed on a neutral target, the OODA loop limitation (in this case 10 seconds) does not start counting down. If I manually declare the Russian helicopter hostile (by selecting it and pressing the "h" key), the OODA loop limit will countdown until after 10 seconds I get an OK to fire.

I'm not sure if this is as designed or not, will do a couple more tests and then post a note to the devs about it.

OODA stands for observe, orient, decide, and act. It is a concept that is mostly credited to the fighter pilot John Boyd. You can read more about it here on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop

In Command what it comes down to is the fact thata unit is not instantly able to react to new developments. It would not be realistic in most cases if a new contact is detected to immediately have a missile fire off the rail, some time goes by in the decision making process and just realizing what is going on etc. How much time it takes in Command is also dependent on the profiency level of the side (Ace or regular etc)

Hope this helps.

< Message edited by Tomcat84 -- 6/1/2014 8:46:23 PM >

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 76
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 7:54:59 PM   
thewood1

In the manual...

OODA values are affected by proficiency levels. Novice crews take twice
the nominal OODA value to execute their targeting process while ace
crews beat even the nominal best-case value

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 77
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 8:03:20 PM   
thewood1

Google OODA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boyd_(military_strategist)

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/226

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 78
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 9:55:34 PM   
HailRider

Tomcat84, thank you.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 79
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 10:01:00 PM   
navwarcol

@HailRider-----
I would say that depending how much you like to "tinker under the hood" the best way to learn the game is setting up a few very basic scenarios yourself, put two sides, a ship on each side, and kind of have at it... this will teach you the way different systems interact with each other far better than reading through a lot of words will, and IMO is a lot more fun.

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 80
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 10:05:32 PM   
navwarcol

Baloogan... love that pic lol

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 81
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 10:21:48 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 82
RE: Getting Started - 6/1/2014 10:35:48 PM   
HailRider

I didn't think about that. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 83
RE: Getting Started - 6/2/2014 1:13:57 AM   
navwarcol

It does have a steep learning curve, but it WILL be worth it probably to you at the end, especially if you have already stuck with it this long.
I would say that a lot of people may expect "H4" or something, and it is not that. You can see places where there are similarities, but it is definitely far beyond anything H2/H3 ever even attempted to do.

As far as the forums, they are like any forums I think.... people get excited about the game, and feel strongly about it.... and that is a good thing, not a bad thing IMO.

You seem like you will be a good addition, and I for one hope you will stick with it...give it a few months, then see what you think, I am thinking you will be a fan.

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 84
RE: Getting Started - 6/2/2014 1:54:00 AM   
HailRider

Thank you very much for the encouragement.

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 85
RE: Getting Started - 6/2/2014 6:49:03 PM   
smudge56

Mate keep at it its an amazing game with endless scenarios. Also do pop into Baloogans chat room they are a great bunch and are helpful. His videos are a great way to understand the game from simple to complex strategies. It's also a great place to chill out and shoot the breeze.

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 86
RE: Getting Started - 6/3/2014 1:57:37 PM   
HailRider

navwarcol, thanks for the suggestion to use the editor. It is very easy to use, and a great help to test out weapon systems quickly. I think I should have started there. Thanks again!!

Baloogan, I have done the First Contact scenarios, and yes, they were helpful.
Iron Hand is a bit though, though. I'm working through your video for Iron Hand. Thanks for that!

So, the best noob scenarios I've found are:

First Contact (series)
The Shark
Operation Trident
Wooden Leg
The Vanatu Crisis
Stand Up

Thank for the encouragement!

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 87
RE: Getting Started - 6/3/2014 2:50:01 PM   
fvianello

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Google OODA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boyd_(military_strategist)

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/226

Doh! And I was sure to know every key book about military strategy!
Downloading "Patterns of Conflict" now....

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 88
RE: Getting Started - 6/4/2014 8:14:31 AM   
navwarcol

quote:

navwarcol, thanks for the suggestion to use the editor. It is very easy to use, and a great help to test out weapon systems quickly. I think I should have started there. Thanks again!!

Baloogan, I have done the First Contact scenarios, and yes, they were helpful.
Iron Hand is a bit though, though. I'm working through your video for Iron Hand. Thanks for that!

So, the best noob scenarios I've found are:

First Contact (series)
The Shark
Operation Trident
Wooden Leg
The Vanatu Crisis
Stand Up

Thank for the encouragement!

Very glad!
As far as noob scenarios, also, those are good choices I think.

< Message edited by navwarcol -- 6/4/2014 9:15:02 AM >

(in reply to HailRider)
Post #: 89
RE: Getting Started - 6/4/2014 10:34:20 AM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Alright, I am sticking in my 5 cents. Bought the game a few days ago, have been through four scenarios so far including all the tutorial ones and Splendid George 1985, read the manual and had some hours of sleep within that time - a great feeling. I have never thought I would get back to any real time wargame that has only a solitaire module and you're doomed to brush with the AI. I have been wargiming mainly in the PBEM mode, had some ship, submarine and aircraft simulators,but have never gootten into that really for a couple of reasons, I started to prefer first tactical, then opertaional and finally back to strategic level where I started off with Paradox games a few years ago when I did not even know I was a wargamer.I got myself excited with Jane's Fleet Command, but could not deploy SEALs or naval SpetsNaz so it went off the radar and now we have CMANO - plain great, I can even perform a full blown amphibious assault on top of all the great things. I miss the pictures that even Haropoon series had, it's a fast way to indentify a vessel type visually - something that matters in naval / air operations right, but if that's only an eye candy I an do without, I prefer a hard core simulation instead.

However, I am missing the helicopter range to see the radius of an ASW mission I am thinking of launching,I couldn't have traced that so far. It was pretty hard to see if I have any troops onboard, either marine infantry or SOF - sometimes they are shown in magazines among other weapons type, but not visible in OrBat for some reason, sometimes it takes to see the troop capaticty of a vessel if they are loaded. In Splendid George my FFG was constntly heading way off the AO with a hstile intent against an invisible target even with the targets of opportunity off.Guinean AF was launching their air interception missions with single aircraft of a lesser quality against multiple rebel airborne targets which got their jets wiped out in half.

Generally same same story as with Command Ops - first you think the game plays by itself, but they you find out there's lost to be done in order to augment the level of success. The enemy AI is not bed, but as a newbie I was doing pretty well with all the things I had to learn on the job.And yes, a genuine interest in the topics covered helps, I always read and learn a lot about the theatres and conflicts I wargame and the tools of the trade involved.

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Getting Started Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI