Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HBO and WWII

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HBO and WWII Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 4:58:10 AM   
Thayne

So far, Spielberg and Hanks have covered the army (Band of Brothers) and marines (Pacific). They are creating a third series covering the army air corps (Masters of the Sky).

By necessity, they must create a fourth series on the. Navy.

I can think of no option better than a 10-part series on the USS Enterprise

Pearl Harbor
Kwajalein
Pearl Harbor
Guadalcanal
The Turkey Shoot
Invasion of the Philippines
Kamikaze attacks

Just Saying
Post #: 1
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 7:14:11 AM   
bradfordkay

There has already been a multi-part series on the Enterprise, complete with bad computer animations and unprofessional "experts" giving their opinions. It was sponsored by Enterprise Rent-a-Car and broadcast a few years ago.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 2
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 7:22:07 AM   
wdolson

Enterprise Rent-A-Car was started by a fighter pilot from VF-10 who flew from CV-6 during the war.

Too bad his company sponsored such rubbish, though I'm not familiar with the series. It sounds from your description like it was some sort of documentary type series whereas Thayne was suggesting a drama series. There is enough material there to follow the Enterprise from the start of the war to the end.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 3:01:31 PM   
tomed63

For an excellent book about the USS Enterprise, find a copy of "The Big E" by Commander Edward P. Stafford.
The Enterprise and her crew through the Pacific War, 1941 - 45.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 3:31:04 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

There has already been a multi-part series on the Enterprise, complete with bad computer animations and unprofessional "experts" giving their opinions. It was sponsored by Enterprise Rent-a-Car and broadcast a few years ago.

I respectfully disagree with bradfordkay's opinion on "Enterprise 360". It wasn't half bad IMO. I enjoyed all of the episodes and didn't find the experten so awful at all.

But, yes, the "E" gets too much press and play. Plus the drama onboard CV(N) has already been played in the gawd awful "Supercarrier" series of yore.

There's a better subject matter out there-that of 'The Tin Can Sailors'. Between the Sammy B and the other ships in that fray and the harrowing aftermath, there's enough material for a miniseries, I'm certain.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 5
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 3:31:07 PM   
crsutton

I think a better subject would be a mini series on the Houston during the early months of the war and then follow the surviving crewmen through incarceration. A darker subject but interesting.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to tomed63)
Post #: 6
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 7:21:01 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I respectfully disagree with bradfordkay's opinion on "Enterprise 360". It wasn't half bad IMO. I enjoyed all of the episodes and didn't find the experten so awful at all.

But, yes, the "E" gets too much press and play. Plus the drama onboard CV(N) has already been played in the gawd awful "Supercarrier" series of yore.

There's a better subject matter out there-that of 'The Tin Can Sailors'. Between the Sammy B and the other ships in that fray and the harrowing aftermath, there's enough material for a miniseries, I'm certain.

Yeah, wasn't to bad. But a series in the likes of B of B would be nice.

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 7:51:22 PM   
AW1Steve

I think you need to have an average crew , on an average ship that served from day one till VJ-day and was in almost every single action. I nominate this book as the basis
http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Pea-War-History-Portland-ebook/dp/B0078XFTUS/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402170397&sr=1-8&keywords=sweet+pea

Gentlemen I give you the USS Portland.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 8
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/7/2014 10:35:59 PM   
wdolson

For the Houston there is a book called Ship of Ghosts that details the early war history of the ship and the harrowing struggle of her survivors.

What about the USS San Francisco? It ranks second in USN history for the number of battle stars.

Bill

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/8/2014 5:07:40 PM   
pmelheck1

I didn't mind battle 360 all that much and it's much better than all the reality TV junk out their. I'll take flashy graphics and loose facts any day of the week over the endless stream of video voyeurism.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/9/2014 1:00:41 AM   
spence

IIRC the skipper of one of the 4 pipers (USS Paul Jones?) who fought through the early days in the DEI then got the USS Cushing which then fought through the Guadalcanal campaign (getting sunk on the first night of the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal).

Good gist for the movies I'd think.

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 11
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 3:02:14 AM   
Big B

Hmm, aren't we missing Midway below?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thayne

So far, Spielberg and Hanks have covered the army (Band of Brothers) and marines (Pacific). They are creating a third series covering the army air corps (Masters of the Sky).

By necessity, they must create a fourth series on the. Navy.

I can think of no option better than a 10-part series on the USS Enterprise

Pearl Harbor
Kwajalein
Pearl Harbor
Guadalcanal
The Turkey Shoot
Invasion of the Philippines
Kamikaze attacks

Just Saying

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 12
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 3:06:51 AM   
Big B

I whole heartedly 2nd this. CA-38 is my sentimental favorite ship from 'the big one'.
I full-filled a long time desire by visiting her memorial up in San Francisco last Memorial Day (May 26 2014)...I knew one of her crewmen when I was in grade school.
(camera date was off by several hours)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

For the Houston there is a book called Ship of Ghosts that details the early war history of the ship and the harrowing struggle of her survivors.

What about the USS San Francisco? It ranks second in USN history for the number of battle stars.

Bill

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 6/10/2014 4:18:06 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 5:32:28 AM   
SenToku

Can't believe nobody is nominating USS O'Bannon.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 14
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 5:44:04 AM   
wdolson

I think the idea is to follow a ship that saw action pretty much from the beginning to the end of the war. The O'Bannon didn't leave for the war zone until the end of August 1942. If you want to follow a destroyer from the beginning to the end, the dale would be a better choice. Though there is no one ship that would be an ideal candidate. Every US warship missed some significant battles.

Bill

(in reply to SenToku)
Post #: 15
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 8:40:42 AM   
SenToku

All true Bill, but Halsey himself said that O'Bannon's story was the history of Pacific War. Also you get great ending at Tokyo Bay.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 16
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 12:26:41 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Where did you get this info from?

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
I found just one tiny bit of info regarding this:

quote:

One bit of promising news is that HBO have green-lit Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks to make their third epic mini-series, this one called ‘Masters of the Sky’ which will be about the 8th Air-Force over Western Europe in WW2.

< Message edited by Apollo11 -- 6/10/2014 1:39:20 PM >

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 17
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 9:17:58 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

P.S.

quote:

One bit of promising news is that HBO have green-lit Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks to make their third epic mini-series, this one called ‘Masters of the Sky’ which will be about the 8th Air-Force over Western Europe in WW2.

I first read about it last week. I think it was on IMDB, but I don't remember.

I found out yesterday that a movie about the harrowing story of an Enterprise TBD crew lost in January 1942 is coming to the big screen this year. Apparently it stars the guy who played Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies.

They ditched a bit west of Pearl Harbor on a search mission and drifted in a life raft for over 30 days then ended up on an island in the South Pacific. It could be very good or it could be dreck. Hard to tell with the movie business these days.

Bill

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 18
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/10/2014 11:20:40 PM   
Thayne

My mistake . . . The title is "Masters of the Air"

Reported budget . . . $500 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-developing-third-wwii-miniseries-413632

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 19
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 2:49:20 AM   
geofflambert

Five hundred million? That's in catastrophic flop territory. Say it ain't so.

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 20
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 3:00:44 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

P.S.

quote:

I found out yesterday that a movie about the harrowing story of an Enterprise TBD crew lost in January 1942 is coming to the big screen this year. Apparently it stars the guy who played Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies.

They ditched a bit west of Pearl Harbor on a search mission and drifted in a life raft for over 30 days then ended up on an island in the South Pacific. It could be very good or it could be dreck. Hard to tell with the movie business these days.

Bill

My wife and I listened to the audio book. It was a B-24.
http://laurahillenbrandbooks.com/

No clue if the movie will be any good or, after reading the book, whether I will care to see it.
http://www.unbrokenfilm.com/

The book was good, but the story is one you don't want to read twice.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 21
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 3:06:56 AM   
geofflambert

Well that's just great, witpqs. What are those of us who can't read anything once supposed to do? I keep emailing Ben Affleck to tell me what to see, but I get no response.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 22
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 3:15:55 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
My wife and I listened to the audio book. It was a B-24.
http://laurahillenbrandbooks.com/

No clue if the movie will be any good or, after reading the book, whether I will care to see it.
http://www.unbrokenfilm.com/

The book was good, but the story is one you don't want to read twice.

Different story/movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2557276/?ref_=nv_sr_1

There were a number of stories like that from the war. I've read that Eddie Rickenbacker was also set adrift in the Pacific after a plane crash along with an USAAF crew.

Bill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 23
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 4:08:40 AM   
Thayne

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Five hundred million? That's in catastrophic flop territory. Say it ain't so.

Well . . . "Pacific" had a budget of $200 million

And "Masters of the Air" is going to require hours of CGI that was not required for either "Pacific" or "Band of Brothers".

And, to be honest, the airplane scenes in "Band of Brothers" struck me as video game quality - not nearly what I would hope to see in "Masters of the Sky".

< Message edited by Thayne -- 6/11/2014 5:09:21 AM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 24
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 9:38:15 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

P.S.

quote:

Bill

Good news Bill!

Lets hope that both movie and series will be historically accurate and as good as "Band of Brothers" and "Pacific" (I really really couldn't stand "Red Tails" and other Hollywood-esqe fantasyland movies)...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 25
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 9:40:12 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

My mistake . . . The title is "Masters of the Air"

Reported budget . . . $500 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-developing-third-wwii-miniseries-413632

Great news Richard!

The $500 million could buy great special effects (and lets hope they follow historical accuracy as in "Band of Brothers" and "Pacific")...

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 26
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/11/2014 10:46:55 AM   
Yaab

I misread the Hollywood Reporter link and thought they were filming "third ww miniseries". Chilling...

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 27
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/12/2014 10:47:42 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

Bill

Interesting. I have read the book ("The Raft" by Robert Trumbull - based on interviews with the crew) not long ago.

The three landed on Pukapuka atoll (hex 157, 158) 34 days after ditching.

Fascinating story - let's see what Hollywood has made of it.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 6/12/2014 11:49:31 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 28
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/13/2014 1:19:31 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

That is awesome that you got to visit this memorial to CA38. I've seen many pics from a Google search of this site. I've always wished I could visit it but it has always seemed too far away.

quote:

I found out yesterday that a movie about the harrowing story of an Enterprise TBD crew lost in January 1942 is coming to the big screen this year.
Bill

Yes, this is quite a good story. The book is called THE RAFT. I read it about 4 years ago. You can still get it from Amazon. It is written by one of the survivors. It tells an incredible story of the crew's survival against impossible odds. It would make a good movie, but won't become a new-age classic I don't think.

I would really like to see a remake of the movie Midway, but if it is going to be like the MOVIE THAT SHALL NOT BE MENTIONED, then forget it.

TOMLABEL

Attachment (1)

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 29
RE: HBO and WWII - 6/13/2014 1:30:13 AM   
Big B

Kelly, The U.S.S. San Francisco Memorial was special for me - as I indicated above. The fact that it worked out I got to visit on the actual Memorial day was icing on the cake after 50 years of interest.
The memorial was unique and I had no idea they actually preserved her shell riddled navigation bridge wings.
The overall description of the ship, and that fateful Friday the 13th Nov 1942, is well represented there. And as a special tribute (in my mind) - the entire memorial is aligned looking out across the Pacific directly at Iron Bottom Sound....at Lands End, San Francisco Bay.
It's moving.

Edit: one point of interest - this is THE only naval battle where a US Navy admiral was killed in action ...(2 admirals here - Scott on Atlanta, and Callaghan on San Francisco)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 6/13/2014 2:38:03 AM >

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HBO and WWII Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI