Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is your favorite race and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What is your favorite race and why? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 7:27:10 PM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dd_01

I usually play as Wekkarus with Republic or Monarchy - xenophobic crustaceans are fine with elected leader or king of some sort.

After the Quameno with Technocracy, the Wekkarus with the Monarchy government are my second-favorite.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 31
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 7:35:52 PM   
DevildogFF

I'm really digging the Yl'Ta from the extended mod. They're currently my favorite. Usually run the Monarchy government, but Military Dictatorship is fun, too :)

Love the Wekkarus, too.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 32
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 7:42:17 PM   
NewZodiac

Really? No one else picked Teekans? I feel so alone.

(in reply to DevildogFF)
Post #: 33
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 7:55:45 PM   
Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: NewZodiac

I did.

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 34
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 8:02:06 PM   
NewZodiac

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: NewZodiac

I did.

Ah! Must have missed it somehow. Teekans are the best :D. I was disappointed they didn't have any special tech, but I suppose the mining and income buffs compensate? Maybe?

In any case, Teekans master race :).

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 35
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 8:23:57 PM   
Cauldyth

Oh, I love the Teekans. Who could't love greedy little 3-eyed space rats?

(in reply to NewZodiac)
Post #: 36
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 9:02:25 PM   
brucesim2003

The Eva from human revolution. With matriarchal government they have a nice science boost AND a growth boost. The latter is even more noticeable after the latest patch.

Cheers

Bruce

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 37
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 10:22:19 PM   
henri51

Why isn't there a cat race? Or Lemurs?(The Zenox are rats - UGH!,,,)

Henri

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 38
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/10/2014 10:39:22 PM   
Nanaki

Zenox are cats, they are just placed in the 'Rodent' racial group mainly because it makes no sense to have one feline race in a racial group all by itself. I do agree that the Zenox racial portrait does leave much to be desired, in that he looks like he is having a really bad fur day, although it still looks distinctly feline, if only due to the dermal and skeletal characteristics.

I have suggested they rename 'Rodent' racial group to 'Mammalian' to clear up the confusion.

< Message edited by Nanaki -- 6/10/2014 11:43:30 PM >

I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 39
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/11/2014 12:00:19 AM   
Cauldyth

But humanoids, rodents and ursidians are mammals too!

I think the cat race is just pretending to be rodents so they can get closer to their prey before pouncing on it.

(in reply to Nanaki)
Post #: 40
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/11/2014 12:09:36 AM   
Unforeseen

I love playing the Teekans, although starting out near one of their empires is a pain. They tend to expand pretty aggressively and start ALOT of random wars for some reason. Prefer to encounter them as independents, trade with them, assimilate migrants and ally the independent when it emerges. Unfortunately the last time i was able to do this was a sad experience. Shortly after the Teekans moved to Earth(i was humans]Earth suffered a quake and my economy was crippled instantly. Teekans became the dominant race on Earth, and i opted to send a colony ship to the now better developed Teekan homeworld and declared it the new capital. A few months later, it suffered it's own mass catastrophe..

This is the only other game that i've lost besides the one when i first went up against the Shakturi and lost ALL of my colonies to one world destroyer.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 6/11/2014 1:11:30 AM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 41
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/11/2014 12:11:26 AM   
Nanaki

Well, the problem is that the current 'Rodent' racial group pretty much just incorporates all the miscallaneous mammals that have not been already included into the Humanoid and Ursidian racial groups, note that the Atuuk are actually Ursidine themselves (The game describes them as bears), but were moved to the Rodent racial group for likely balance reasons. Given, Mammalian is not a perfect name but it is far better than Rodent and, truth be told, wondering why Ursidine and Humanoids are seperate racial groups is a remarkable improvement over wondering why half of the races in the 'Rodent' group are not actually rodents.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 42
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/13/2014 12:23:53 PM   
unclean

The Dhayats are my favorite. I like their engine tech, and all they want to do is enslave every living thing, which is pretty laid back for a bug.

They're just kind of tricky at higher difficulties, since their econ is bad and all they want to do is build a million troops. Also they can't bomb that much since they really need population and don't want to piss off the hiveminds.

For gov I like to go Democracy > Despotism, since they can't afford much else. Democracy lets you bank some money early, tech up fast (armor troops, construction, missiles) and get rid of crap leaders, and despotism lets you 5 year plan out armor troops and not make every bug and lizard in the galaxy want to kill you. You just need to make things happen because the research + Dhayat growth penalties are brutal.

Naxxilians, Gizurians, Sluken and Hackinosh are cool too.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 43
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/17/2014 12:21:50 AM   
Tcby

This was all the way back on page 4! The board is quite active at the moment.

I've been thinking about playing around with the Dhayut for a while, for the reasons you mentioned. Their warp drives call to me.

I decided to load up a game with the Ugnari. It's going about as I expected. Being encouraged to expand as much as possible to snag the +5% High tech research per planet is cool. I'm playing with slightly lower colonization range (1.5) so that I'm faced with some more choices regarding expansion direction and planet quality.

I didn't know that their starting intelligence agent was so good. Tek Ixito is in the running for biggest bastard in the universe with his espionage and sabotage skills starting out at +70 and +28 respectively...golly. I see what the galactopedia meant when it said that they like to rip people off.

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 44
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/17/2014 12:27:39 AM   
Nanaki

Racial techs are not really super important considering that you can grab other races' racial techs through either trade or espionage.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 45
RE: What is your favorite race and why? - 6/17/2014 12:36:34 AM   
Tcby

But those techs add character, which is their most important quality.

In response to the point that you can get them from other races anyway, obtaining other racial techs is affected by several things:
Whether you can obtain the tech
a)quality of your agents
b)your diplomatic status with the target race

How long it takes before you can start obtaining the tech
a)when you meet them
b)whether they even spawned in your game

So in terms of gameplay there's definitely an advantage to knowing you will have quick (or any) access to a particular tech. Especially warp tech

But in my eyes the flavor that the techs give each race is more important that whether the game advantage is truly unique to them.

< Message edited by Tcby -- 6/17/2014 1:36:57 AM >

(in reply to Nanaki)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What is your favorite race and why? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI