Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PEACE! Epilogue 4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: PEACE! Epilogue 4 Page: <<   < prev  54 55 56 57 [58]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 4 - 5/15/2014 5:39:20 PM   
tocaff

Elaine was dumped by the guy she dumped Gil for as soon as his training unit was disbanded and he reported home for mustering out of the Army. Elaine's brother followed in his father's footsteps in the family business while her sister moved to California in 1959. In the meantime Elaine got married to a friend's brother and they had 2 children, who they raised in the Pittsburgh area.. She lived out her life wondering if she had made a mistake by not sticking with Gil.

The First Atomic Bomb

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 5/15/2014 6:40:08 PM >

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1711
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 4 - 5/18/2014 2:37:34 AM   
tocaff

Eugene Morosi continued with his research group fruitlessly searching for a way of welding to give submarines the ability to dive much deeper. Though members of his team came and went he remained at the helm never giving up hope that there was a better way. After many years he and his team discovered what they had been looking for. This discovery and nuclear propulsion set the stage for the USN to have deep diving boats built that were limited primarily by human endurance. Gene died on August 13, 1988 after attending the commissioning of the SSN 723, the Oklahoma City, named after where his mother was born. He was found the next day in his hotel room, having suffered a heart attack.

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1712
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 6 - 5/20/2014 7:21:52 PM   
tocaff

Alvaro “Al” Pena got a dishonorable discharge from the Army and this hindered his finding a good job. He bounced around never settling down and ultimately hooked up with the wrong type of people. At first things were great as Al had money and women, but then he was caught by the police and was sentenced to prison. He made the mistake of acting like a tough guy with somebody that was tougher than him and his body was found in the prison yard in 1952.

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1713
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 6 - 5/22/2014 11:45:25 AM   
tocaff

Sam Cohen was torn with leaving the Army or staying in, but ultimately he wasn't given a choice because of his drinking bouts. He ended up being a potato grower in Idaho, doing very well, having forsaken the sauce. He married in 1949 and had 2 sons and a daughter. He never spoke about his time in the Army and didn't attend and reunions held by his old outfit. He did wonder until his dieing day, in 2003, how Frankie fared with Jim though.

HMS Hermes

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 5/22/2014 12:46:04 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1714
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 9 - 5/24/2014 9:59:03 PM   
tocaff

Chris Fenton returned to Defiance Ohio and was treated as a great hero. He never bragged about his exploits and when questioned he just tried to shrug them off as nothing special. He ultimately felt like he had to leave Defiance and moved to nearby Findlay where he settled down, met a girl, married her and they had four children. Chris was returning home one night and became a victim of the Ohio roads through the cornfields. At an intersection another car hit him. Chris never knew of the other vehicle as the car's headlights didn't work. There were few fender benders, but when an accident happened it was usually a bad one and this cost Chris his life in 1957.

President Adams

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 5/24/2014 10:59:56 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1715
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 10 - 5/26/2014 10:15:36 PM   
tocaff

Slim decided that he might as well stay in the Corps. With the reduction in force size Slim found himself in the 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Regiment under the command of Colonel Chesty Puller. The service during the years following WWII were pretty boring and then along came Korea. As much as Slim hated combat and the awful things that come with it he somehow knew it was what his purpose was. When his unit was involved in the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir he had troubles dealing with the extreme cold. When his unit was tasked with the reopening of the road to Hagaru-ri on 11/29/1950 Slim had the misfortune of stopping 3 PLA bullets while trying to pull a wounded lad back to a safe position.

USS Quincy

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 5/26/2014 11:15:56 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1716
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 10 - 5/27/2014 9:27:22 PM   
Capt. Harlock

That's an interesting picture of Quincy, given that she had less than a week to stay afloat.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1717
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 10 - 5/28/2014 5:11:14 PM   
tocaff

Jeff Pardini was riffed in 1946 and landed a job at the Newport News shipyard. He married and fathered 2 children, one of whom attended the Naval Academy. He retired in 1964 and passed away the following year. His wife followed him within 2 months. His son maintained that retirement killed his father.

Art Wagner left the Navy in 1957 having risen to the rank of Commander. He enjoyed his retirement on a ranch in Wyoming with his wife and 5 children who presented him with numerous grandchildren. He died in 1995 from a massive heart attack during a stress test at the local hospital. He always had a deep suspicion about doctors.

Attachment (1)

Todd

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1718
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 12 - 5/30/2014 4:16:37 PM   
tocaff

Jim DiGregorio was mustered out of the Navy and he decided to stay in the construction business with a few of the other guys from his outfit. The pooled their money, bought surplus equipment and set about building in the Los Angels area. Business was good and by the 1960s the construction company was operating in all of Southern California. Jim and his partners became well to do and when college time rolled around for his 5 children he and his wife had no worries. The only thing that bothered Jim was when he thought of Frankie and his failure to take care of the dog. Silently he was thankful that he never ran into Sam again.

BB-43 Tennessee

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 5/30/2014 5:17:14 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1719
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 13 - 6/1/2014 11:22:56 PM   
tocaff

Jay Felder was on a transport bound for San Francisco without a care in the world. There was the usual gambling going on and not much else to to. When they were about 4 days from port the propeller just dropped off of the shaft. Jay can't believe that he was finally going to become a civilian again and now this happened. While they wait for a tug to arrive to tow them into port the gambling continues. By the time they reached San Francisco almost all of the money was held by 6 lucky souls. One of these newly rich people hired Jay and a few others to guard him and his cash. Upon landing they set out for the nearest bank and then Jay got his pay. A couple of days later he got his back pay and was given 2 weeks leave at which time he was told to report back to being mustered out. During this time Jay met a girl who he ended up marrying. He stayed in the Bay area and became a Letter Carrier for the Post Office. By the time he and his wife, a school teacher, had retired they had put 2 children through college. In 2011 Jay died. His mind was sharp as ever, but his body shut down. His wife is still alive and lonely.

USS Saratoga

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 6/2/2014 12:23:29 AM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1720
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 13 - 6/2/2014 11:22:41 PM   
tocaff

Cookie continued his business and friendship with Red until lung cancer took him in 1967. His passion in life was cooking and being invited to his home for a meal was always a special treat. Cookie often said that preparing meals at home was night and day to what he used to do aboard the ships he served on. He left behind a wife and 2 daughters.

CL-55 USS Cleveland

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 6/3/2014 12:23:42 AM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1721
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 13 - 6/4/2014 8:20:02 PM   
tocaff

Damon “Red” Gaffney became a rich man in business with Cookie. They were friends for life and Red served as a pallbearer at Cookie's funeral. He was so overcome with grief that those that knew him called the period immediately following Cookie's demise Red's dark days. He always had a Weimaraner as a friend until he was to old to care for a dog. To his dying day he always had a tale to tell about Lucky. Red kept a promise that he made to himself and once his time on the Palawan ended he never set foot on a ship again. Red never married, though he did have a few long term relationships. Before he died in 2012 he told a nephew that “Whoever said that these are the golden years didn't know what it was like to get old.” His passing was noted by few people as he had outlived almost all of his friends and relatives.

BB Pennsylvania

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 6/4/2014 9:20:39 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1722
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 16 - 6/6/2014 10:51:39 PM   
tocaff

Some men who crewed the AP Tasker H Bliss and TK Tulsagas continued to suffer psychologically from the fatal days of the IJN carrier raids into the convoy routes to Australia. Their not being allowed to discuss is wore on them. Finally 60 years later, to the day, a television station aired a program about the incident after the United States government declassified it and survivors could freely talk about what had transpired.

PB2Y

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 6/6/2014 11:53:02 PM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1723
RE: PEACE! Epilogue 17 - 6/8/2014 11:04:32 PM   
tocaff

Gil Edwards managed to catch a ride back to California on another Bomb Group's plane. They needed somebody who could type and from his Army training it was a skill that he had. Gil was the first man from his group to leave the base. He said his goodbyes and didn't see or hear from any of the Lucky 11 until one day a man called his son looking for Gil. The man walked into Gil's restaurant and you could've knocked Gil over with a feather. It was Gel, who happened to be in New York City and he told Gil about their Bomb Group holding a reunion. Gil immediately said yes and that night informed his wife that they were going to New Mexico for the event. She was all for it. They continued going every year until failing health prevented it. Gil never talked about the war until the '70s and he died in 2013 at the age of 90. He left his wife of 67 years, a son and 2 grandchildren. He was fondly remembered by people as a man who didn't have a temper and was always calm under pressure.

The Lucky 11, Gil 2nd from left in the rear row

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tocaff -- 6/9/2014 12:07:06 AM >

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1724
RE: The End - 6/10/2014 11:16:14 PM   
tocaff

The time has come to put this AAR to bed. There were other characters in the AAR who had small roles and some who were major players in real life so I'll leave them alone. I never did manage to utilize all of the pictures that I amassed. Writing the AAR was more than I thought it would be in terms of time and effort. There were days when I suffered from writer's block, if I may call myself that. If there are any questions at all feel free to ask away in this thread or by PMing me.

I'd like to thank you who found this interesting enough to read along. I never dreamed of the number of hits going so high, especially in a “dead” forum as we've migrated to AE. That's what kept me motivated to continue writing to the end.

Todd

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1725
RE: The End - 6/16/2014 1:17:28 PM   
turkey

Thank you for your effort Tocaff. As a late come regular user of the forum I enjoyed reading along as this epic developed into the final days of the war and even picked up a few tactical and strategic pointers for my own game. Having said this, often it was just too easy to forget this was an AAR and simply to be carried off, into the story and over the vast oceans on the other side of the planet, well beyond any immediate reference to my game.

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1726
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 56 57 [58]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: PEACE! Epilogue 4 Page: <<   < prev  54 55 56 57 [58]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI