Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 3:04:44 AM   
geofflambert

Geez, most of you guys don't give this much attention to the dud rate on American torpedos. Let us firmly establish that we're not talking about 'futbol' or 'soccer'; we're discussing the sport of flopping. If I had been that guy from Uruguay (no other country is allowed to have three Us in their name) I would've had a dentist remove my teeth, create new dentures for me so that when I bit that guy his flesh would've carried my teeth away. You wonder why? Well I could've pointed at my toothless mouth and at his denture laden shoulder and cried "Ref, he just stole my teeth with his shoulder! What are you going to do about it?" Naturally I would've had my dentist re-implant my teeth, but I would be remembered forever for my contribution to the beautiful game.

Now, on an aside, those of you who aren't members of the Orphan Annie Battalion cover your ears. Chickenboy, we must stop meeting this way; people are beginning to talk.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 241
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 9:31:45 AM   
Sardaukar

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 242
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 9:45:20 AM   
obvert

From the morning Guardian.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 243
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 10:28:01 AM   
Encircled

There a couple of great GIFs of Suarez on the web at the moment.

The Jaws one is probably the best

Jaws as you've never seen him before

< Message edited by Encircled -- 6/26/2014 2:32:16 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 244
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 12:10:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Chickenboy, we must stop meeting this way; people are beginning to talk.

I've my decoder ring set for your message, but all I got was "Be sure to drink your ovaltine". Strange.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 245
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 12:50:20 PM   
Erkki

http://youtu.be/1DjW3rBBKqA

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 246
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 1:42:54 PM   
buutsy

Heavy rain over Rectife, game USA - Germany might be postponed !
Good news for US : Ghana lost 2 players heading home, lowering the chances of scoring high for Ghana ...

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 247
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 2:30:58 PM   
Lecivius

Not postponed (yet). They are putting it up on the BIG screen here at work. Not a lot going to get done today, methinks

(in reply to buutsy)
Post #: 248
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 2:31:21 PM   
pws1225

Suarez suspended for 9 games.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=6/news=luis-suarez-suspended-for-nine-matches-and-banned-for-four-months-from-2386354.html

(in reply to buutsy)
Post #: 249
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 3:30:30 PM   
Cribtop

Wow, drama much today? Heavy rain could either improve odds of a low scoring draw or cause a crazy bounce mistake that results in an easy goal. Ghana sending two of its better players home and the turmoil in that side makes for a much more interesting Portugal-Ghana match.

You gotta love it! That said, if we are literally dealing with flood conditions on the pitch, both games should be postponed. I know, snow game, etc, but seriously we don't want to muck up a key game in the World Cup if the conditions are unplayable (and I realize that soccer unplayable and some other US sports unplayable have different meanings - soccer is rarely postponed). USA needs to remember to have the Captain log a protest if they think the game should not go ahead (again, remember the snow game).

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 6/26/2014 4:31:34 PM >

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 250
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 3:34:48 PM   
buutsy

So let´s have a nice water polo game
May the better win

Edit: See, the weather system is borked

< Message edited by buutsy -- 6/26/2014 4:41:52 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 251
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 4:02:18 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: buutsy

Good one.

The Moose

(in reply to buutsy)
Post #: 252
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 4:57:40 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

May the better win

I wish there was a world cup of water polo. Except call it something other than a cup. Something more appropriate to the manliest of sports...

(in reply to buutsy)
Post #: 253
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 6:18:29 PM   
Symon

We pretty much got whacked. Germany did to us exactly what Netherlands did to Chile. After the goal, load up the D a bit; don't park the bus, just get thicker. Depending on who they have back there, they can reconfigure for attack in a heartbeat. We flat got out-played.

We do get to advance, though: Obrigado, Portugal. Now we get to play Belgium in the 2nd stage.

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/26/2014 7:33:33 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 254
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 6:30:47 PM   
Cribtop

The US performance certainly wasn't pretty, but IMHO Germany is one of the 3 best teams in the tourney. On balance over the 3 matches we deserved to advance, but must do better. Quite a few of our passes that could have resulted in chances went long today. I wondered if we had trouble overestimating the impact of the rain and wet or were just rattled. Howard is a beast and I like what I see in Yedlin. Not to pile on Bradley, but IMHO his work rate was high but his quality was low.

Still, heads held high and on out of the Group of Death! Quite an achievement for our team and coach! Beat (Belgium or Algeria)!

PS - Colombia has to be salivating with Suarez out.

PPS - Too soon?

PPPS - IMHO Chile/Brazil will be match of the tournament to date. Looking forward to it.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 255
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 6:47:00 PM   
richlove

Well, watched the US-Germany game at the bar with what seemed the entire staff at my office. We got beat, but made it interesting, and somehow managed to advance. I will take it.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 256
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 7:12:11 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

May the better win

I wish there was a world cup of water polo. Except call it something other than a cup. Something more appropriate to the manliest of sports...

Water polo is a righteous game. Love it.

Watched US-Germany here in London. At Farringdon Sports Bar and Grill there were 20 HD TVs, (two showing Ghana-Portugal) and both German, American and English fans, with a few Portugese mixed in. Great atmosphere.

That last chance with the shot and then the cross and Dempsey rebound header. Ahhhh! So close.

The US was outplayed, seemed unable to deal with forward pressure, but still got a few good chances and only gave the Germans a few in return. Good game. On to the Belgians! (I think...)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

PPPS - IMHO Chile/Brazil will be match of the tournament to date. Looking forward to it.

Yes!!!

PS - Asamoah Gyan is my favorite player of the tournament so far. Sad Ghana is out. They showed a lot of heart without Muntari and Prince-Boateng.

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/26/2014 8:18:32 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 257
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 7:12:35 PM   
Symon

quote:

The US performance certainly wasn't pretty, but IMHO Germany is one of the 3 best teams in the tourney. On balance over the 3 matches we deserved to advance, but must do better. Quite a few of our passes that could have resulted in chances went long today. I wondered if we had trouble overestimating the impact of the rain and wet or were just rattled. Howard is a beast and I like what I see in Yedlin. Not to pile on Bradley, but IMHO his work rate was high but his quality was low.

Have to say a bit rattled. Germany out performed us in every way. When they went to the prevent, it was like Klinsmann didn't even notice. Even then, their D was front loaded and had way more shots and way more control. This could easily have been a 3-0 or 3-1 game.
quote:

Still, heads held high and on out of the Group of Death! Quite an achievement for our team and coach! Beat (Belgium or Algeria)!

Quite agree with you there. It looks like Belgium.
quote:

PS - Colombia has to be salivating with Suarez out.

Yeah, and all the little hypocritical, progressive weenies are salivating as well. Back 40 years ago, when I was competing (different sport) and someone did that stuff, we would wait for an opportunity, and do the equivalent of a rugby scrum and kick the swine's balls up into his throat. But nowadays we are too caring and sharing and not allowed to take care of our own problems. We must (sigh) depend on the nannys. Oh, well.
quote:

PPS - Too soon?

Too soon for what?
quote:

Damn, they put us in with a pissed off Brazil. I do agree it will be the match of Death (Duh). Maybe ... just maybe.
I'm burning every candle I can afford, and sacrificing lots of chickens; I'm even using US greenie chickens, from free range farms, and every one wanted to throw their body into the hecatomb to adore Athena and La Roja.

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/26/2014 8:28:50 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 258
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 7:34:25 PM   
warspite1

Guys, guys guys!

You have only lost 1-0 to GERMANY and you have qualified for the knock-out stages of the World Cup. Okay it wasn't pretty but really, what more do you want?!?!

Enjoy it - some of us didn't get close to making it this far!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 259
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 7:41:38 PM   
KenchiSulla

It was hard working for the US but it could have been 1-1. Good luck against Belgium.

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 260
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 8:07:01 PM   
pharmy

quote:

I love how this group of death moniker has been proliferating over the past decade or so
For the English media it was Group D - Italy, Uruguay, England, Costa Rica
For the US media it was - Group G - Germany, Portugal, Ghana and the USA
I personally plumped for Group B with Netherlands, Spain, Chile and Australia as Chile even pre-tournament could been forecast to advance or even win most of the other groups. Chile's ELO rating was 7th in the world, and I think the ELO system adopted from chess is much more accurate then the fifa one which was used for the group seedings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings
Costa Rica's progress defied all expectation as they were expected to be the makeweights in their group

Chile/Brazil, Netherlands/Mexico are the ones I am looking forward to based on play so far. Colombia's play has been I think the most beautiful but they had an easier group.

I think the US could handily beat Belgium if Belgium still continue to not find their rhythm based on their first two matches

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 261
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 8:21:17 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Guys, guys guys!

You have only lost 1-0 to GERMANY and you have qualified for the knock-out stages of the World Cup. Okay it wasn't pretty but really, what more do you want?!?!

Enjoy it - some of us didn't get close to making it this far!

+1!!!

Think of how the spaniards, english and italians feel about this WC...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 262
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/26/2014 9:20:41 PM   
Cribtop

Agreed that Group of Death is in the eye of the beholder.

I forgot about Mexico/Netherlands. Very yummy there too.

As for Chile/Brazil, I just haven't seen it from Brazil so far. Waiting to see if an inspired and talented Chile team can make them pay for so far subpar play (which personally I think will happen) or if Brazil finds another gear.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 263
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/27/2014 12:11:18 AM   
tocaff

Backing in is much better than bowing out. Now the USA must rediscover the art of scoring. As long as they play hard and don't throw in the towel they've done good.

As for my second team...Brasil faces winning it all or being charged by 200 million coaches with failure. VAI BRASIL!

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 264
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/27/2014 2:51:39 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: richlove

Well, watched the US-Germany game at the bar with what seemed the entire staff at my office. We got beat, but made it interesting, and somehow managed to advance. I will take it.

I caught the game at a local pub with a couple German nationals that I used to work with. An enjoyable luncheon, even if I had to buy the beer.

(in reply to richlove)
Post #: 265
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/28/2014 3:32:36 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff
As for my second team...Brasil faces winning it all or being charged by 200 million coaches with failure. VAI BRASIL!

My thoughts exactly. ¡VAMOS! CHILE !
This one is going to be a biggie ! Only problem is it's the first game on the ladder. One of us is going to have to go through the whole series with our special team getting whacked on day-1. The soccer gods are cruel gods. They giveth and taketh away with the same hand. They smile at our pretensions, and laugh at our sacrifice.

Respect your side Tocaff, and wish you joy of the game. JWE

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 266
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/28/2014 3:39:29 PM   
tocaff

Almost game time and it's now win or go home time. Howard is the official for this match and he's one of the best. Here's to a great game and may the best (luckiest) team (Brasil) win.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 267
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/28/2014 3:55:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Almost game time and it's now win or go home time. Howard is the official for this match and he's one of the best. Here's to a great game and may the best (luckiest) team (Brasil) win.
warspite1

Really strange one this. As an Englishman I should want the underdogs (Chile) but the thought of losing Brazil this early in the tournament is just not worth thinking about.....

I don't know who I want

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 268
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/28/2014 4:34:12 PM   
Erkki

1 - 1

Go Chile!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 269
RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 - 6/28/2014 4:36:40 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

1 - 1

Go Chile!

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI