Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some comments on the game and an Editor question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Some comments on the game and an Editor question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/7/2014 6:58:51 PM   
MechFO

Recently bought the game and must say....many many very good design decisions.

I like the cards, like the logistics, like the time aspects (persistent stacking and AP penalties in combat hexes), like how C&C is handled and the mission system.

Things that could be improved are the map(though not a problem with mods) TOE's, (a bit of) combat granularity and the ability to switch TOE's during a scenario.

AIUI there's only destroyed, retreated and non retreated subunits. Adding a damaged state might be an idea, right now combat seems a bit all or nothing. TOE's are honestly a bit all over the place, especially the Axis minors got the short end of the stick. Some simplification is fine, especially with the generic items, but f.e. the Romanians are missing nearly all their Artillery.

Now an Editor question, I've modded some Axis minor Predefined Units according to the guide, and have successfully placed new units on the map, however I can't figure out how to change the equipment of the units that were already placed. There's a button under "His" which can set all units to model, but I only want to change some units....how do I do that. The only way I can think of currently is to dump a load of replacement equipment via Stringlists and let it filter through the replacement system.

Any good ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/8/2014 8:43:41 AM   
navwarcol

What I have done for mine, is make several of the ones I wanted to alter, into "historic units", then they will keep that TO&E that you assign to them.... so, for example, I have 3 different type of Panzer Divisions, each with their own TO&E, and did that by making a "Historic unit" for each one.

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 2
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/8/2014 5:15:06 PM   
Adrian

That's what I did for the new units I placed myself.

However, units on the map have "historic unit" already defined. In theory these should change their TOE if you change the predefined unit that the historic unit uses as its base. But I can't find a way of updating them to the new TOE.

It must be possible to change the amount of equipment of on map units, since many are not at full strength. This means they were somehow changed from their model unit.

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 3
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/8/2014 7:34:57 PM   
navwarcol

Yes, you can go into the "unit" rather than "historical unit" tab, first, then alter the equipment, even adding additional regiments to a division, etc... then go to the historic unit tab, find that unit, change it to be historical... and even change the setting to allow you to create in-game, or not(in which case you are stuck with only the units you began with, of that particular model).

I did this, actually, to add an artillery regiment to most of the Rumanian infantry divisions.

< Message edited by navwarcol -- 7/9/2014 4:07:34 AM >

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 4
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/8/2014 8:00:31 PM   
Vic

Hi Adrian,

For example scenario Case Blue when you just open it in the editor has all units at full TOE. However when you start the game up their TOEs are scrambled a bit. This is because scenario events scripting. In this case it is event #30 that scrambles them.

If you are changing historical unit TOES or giving units a new historical unit in the editor and you want the change to be reflected go to "his window" > Set ALL to their models. (the tv values asked for are tempvalues you might want to overwrite or not from model to historical unit (if using models)). tv1/tv2=data for guards unit events. tv3/tv4/tv5 is the data for the reinforcement events. (if not sure what to do only overwrite tv1/tv2 by typing '2')

Keep in mind that the TOE is only updated if there are not more units assigned to the historical unit than the historical unit has subparts.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 7/8/2014 9:00:41 PM >

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 5
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/11/2014 12:47:09 PM   
Adrian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Hi Adrian,

For example scenario Case Blue when you just open it in the editor has all units at full TOE. However when you start the game up their TOEs are scrambled a bit. This is because scenario events scripting. In this case it is event #30 that scrambles them.

If you are changing historical unit TOES or giving units a new historical unit in the editor and you want the change to be reflected go to "his window" > Set ALL to their models. (the tv values asked for are tempvalues you might want to overwrite or not from model to historical unit (if using models)). tv1/tv2=data for guards unit events. tv3/tv4/tv5 is the data for the reinforcement events. (if not sure what to do only overwrite tv1/tv2 by typing '2')

Keep in mind that the TOE is only updated if there are not more units assigned to the historical unit than the historical unit has subparts.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Vic

Many Thanks.

One last problem I have is how to insert missing subpart units. F.e. the 1st SS Brigade should have two regiments instead of one. I added the 2nd regiment in the Subpart list of the model unit and the already placed unit, but I can't place the 2nd regiment on the map. I tried creating a new unit and deleting the old one, but this seems to screw up various things, probably due to the resulting ID shift.

Also, I have noticed the Nebelwerfer units take extreme losses. If the hex is strongly held, every Nebelwerfer attack (as part of bigger, sometimes multi divisional attacks) results in a completely destroyed unit. Is this WAD?

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 6
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/11/2014 1:32:38 PM   
navwarcol

Adrian:
On the first one, I did this with the Rumanian divisions mentioned... what I had to do was to use the "in game" button where you can recreate lost subparts of a division.. it takes a couple of turns for the TO&E to filter in..... think of it as refitting for a week or so.

As far as the nebelwerfers, they "take losses" because they fire off all of their rockets... when that happens, after the fight, pull them a couple of hexes behind the line, and replacements will filter in to them, in the same manner as above. Their rockets just take some time to replace, again, maybe 3 or 4 turns. The Soviet rocket artillery does the same thing, by the way.

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 7
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/11/2014 6:52:33 PM   
Adrian

quote:

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

Adrian:
On the first one, I did this with the Rumanian divisions mentioned... what I had to do was to use the "in game" button where you can recreate lost subparts of a division.. it takes a couple of turns for the TO&E to filter in..... think of it as refitting for a week or so.

Yes, that's what I'm going to do as well as placing the equivalent dummy units on the map that I can disband.

Would you happen to know the differences in the strings section between the different reinforcement events?

There's one called "1942 Replacements" at No 0, but also additional ones between No7 and No12. Do the later strings override the first one, or are they in addition?

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 8
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/11/2014 9:18:16 PM   
RCHarmon

Can editor questions be posted in this the main discussion section or should we use the mod scenario section. It seems to me it doesn't matter much.

If you guys build new units or add to existing ones do you also increase men and material added to the scenario. If you add guns and troops to all the Romanian units that is a lot of stuff. Is it coming from normal reinforcements and cards or are adding more troops. If you are adding troops how are you doing it.

Where can I find a brief explanation of how to alter reinforcement troops such as arriving moral and experience?

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 9
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/12/2014 7:59:36 AM   
navwarcol

Adrian- From what I have seen, the lower ones override it.

RCH- Yes, definitely... I went in and added enough of a "trickle" to- not make it easy- but at least to make sure that there is enough of the Rumanian artillery and extra manpower, to allow for some level of replacements.
Mind you I ALSO of course had to actually create the Rumanian artillery. It has been a work in progress with a great many additions, but I have learned a lot about this great game, whilst doing it.

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 10
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/12/2014 1:17:03 PM   
Adrian

quote:

ORIGINAL: RCH

If you guys build new units or add to existing ones do you also increase men and material added to the scenario. If you add guns and troops to all the Romanian units that is a lot of stuff. Is it coming from normal reinforcements and cards or are adding more troops. If you are adding troops how are you doing it.

Where can I find a brief explanation of how to alter reinforcement troops such as arriving moral and experience?

You can change replacements in the "string" button of the editor (bottom of 3rd column).

I don't know if the % chance is an all or nothing chance of the total qty arriving, or if the chance is calculated for every element separately.
People is for the pool in which the reinforcements arrive (wehrmacht, romanian etc., the number corresponds to the listing under "Ppl", 2 buttons above).
XP is almost certainly for the experience of the arriving reinforcements. I don't see any setting of morale.

< Message edited by Adrian -- 7/12/2014 2:17:02 PM >

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 11
RE: Some comments on the game and an Editor question - 7/14/2014 5:38:02 AM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adrian

One last problem I have is how to insert missing subpart units. F.e. the 1st SS Brigade should have two regiments instead of one. I added the 2nd regiment in the Subpart list of the model unit and the already placed unit, but I can't place the 2nd regiment on the map. I tried creating a new unit and deleting the old one, but this seems to screw up various things, probably due to the resulting ID shift.

The way to do this in the editor would be to add a new unit (without historical unit attached) to the map by the new unit order button [N]. After you go to the unit screen in the editor. There you set it to the historical unit you want and!! set the subpart number. Alternate way of doing this would be to remove the already existing subpart of the historical unit and then press the PAGE-UP key to place all units of a not yet placed historical unit.

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Adrian)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Some comments on the game and an Editor question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI