Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: YouTube Collaborative Series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: YouTube Collaborative Series Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/5/2014 11:34:23 PM   
Tcby

Haha oh man, that was bad. Das is going to have fun. Who is taking the next guest spot?

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 121
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/6/2014 12:57:57 AM   
StarLab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tcby

Haha oh man, that was bad. Das is going to have fun. Who is taking the next guest spot?

I already emailed Das to make sure we're still friends.

I'm not sure who's up next. Das has that all worked out. We should know soon.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 122
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/6/2014 3:43:58 AM   
DasTactic

Lol. We're actually in an interesting position at present - and not all bad. I'm about to start recording now so don't know what will happen during my turn. I've done some preparation though.

Regarding who's up next, I'm waiting to hear back from the next person in the queue and so don't want to make any announcements about this until I'm sure they will be available.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 123
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/6/2014 3:56:09 PM   
DasTactic

Year 17 ends up being quite a long one. Part 1 is the preparation phase where the game doesn't come off pause but where questions and comments are addressed. This took three episodes (Part 1a, Part 1b and Part1c). If you are only looking for gameplay action then I'd skip these three episodes.

Part 2 is two episodes (Part 2a and Part 2b) and progresses through the year. A new strategy is tried.

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 17 Part 1a ~ Viewers Designs

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 17 Part 1b ~ Its not as bad as it looks

< Message edited by Das123 -- 7/6/2014 7:13:12 PM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 124
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/6/2014 9:31:40 PM   
vmxa_slith

Use to play a lot of SG's (succession games) like this in civ3. On a massive map it would take a long time to get acquainted with the situation, before you could really play.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 125
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/6/2014 10:43:22 PM   
DasTactic

I think it's relatively easy for Larry and I to keep up with everything because we are directly involved but I think it will get more and more difficult for the new players coming in who haven't been following closely. :) Should lead to some fun and games.

Here is the last part of Part 1...

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 17 Part 1c ~ Frodo Fleets

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 126
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/7/2014 8:33:16 AM   
Keston

THE PLAY SESSIONS: I like the general background and the planning details/questions can be new info to many of us. It is very informal, but if you have a list of talking points I would suggest starting with a brief general overview and strategy, then questions and details including game mechanics, then start the game and narrate the rest as you go. So people can skip the details or the strategy if they like, though I will listen to it all.

INVASIONS: I am familiar with the problems of herding transports. There are economies of scale. My admittedly single game with Keskudons but many invasions and reinforcements in 18 years has led to fast, heavily shielded (1K+), marine combat transports with capacity of 8 (up to 200K ground strength in infantry). They also sport 3 boarding pods, hyper-deny, and varied armament to help boarding actions and come in below 500 in size, but the same concept can work at 400 without the dual capability. Just need to build enough to spread damage if they attack under the orbitals (once enemy warships are attracted away).

Also, it takes more time, but against the rather tough Sluken homeworld early on with 800-900K defense strength a margin of about 50% plus a good commander won in the end. The battle was long, which was good, as with some rotation in of other troops it provided veteran status to probably 60 units between the initial invasion and the ensuing revolt when tax collectors arrived. IN that case, the fleet engaged the orbitals first and destroyed one of the defensive bases and engaged other defenders while the landing craft went in with their infantry. I had planned to withdraw the warships but decided to keep fighting and try to capture the base - which did not come off and the defending bases were wiped out, but that is a separate issue. The battle was fairly even attrition one enough troops landed (trying to make a real effort to have the transports land as close to simultaneously as possible with Invade Immediattely)

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 127
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/7/2014 1:41:36 PM   
Tophat1815

I very much like the way pre-turn briefings take place with Larry and Das before they actually start the year. best way to get into the mindset of the player and learn about the game at the same time.

Das you probably have yr 17 part#2 ready to post but if not a few suggestions/ideas to consider:

Make a dedicated boarding variant destroyer. The help this gives you in research gains from prizes could be significant and they can be cheap.

Look at refitting all capital ships to missile boats,remove epsilon torps and make them standoff platforms not in close brawlers. As a standoff ship its maneuverability isn't rally an issue so you can reove some thrusters,railguns and look at adding fighter hangers.

Get the slaver fleet that is returning to refuel from the northern map area turned around and sent to Fortress Torok. Load troops and get ready to Blitz Bosk colonies. Send the resupply ship to Torok or hope the small spaceport gets built and caslon can get into Torok to refuel the transports.

Good Luck!

p.s.....Point defense on everything asap Muhahahaha

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 128
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/7/2014 7:33:05 PM   
DasTactic

Too late for my year, sorry. It was recorded a couple of days ago. :)

I wish we had point defense. It's really important we get that asap.

Here is Part 2a...

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 17 Part 2a ~ Ports Galore

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 129
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/8/2014 9:09:45 AM   
Keston

Interesting action. With all that money maybe the pirates can be directed at the enemy for a while. I see your Ship Captain is on a Zagros and suggest moving him to something where he is more use and more likely to live. (Do ship captains have any effect on bases?)

Sad to lose an Admiral. What is the right strategy for locating Fleet Admirals? Is there any range limit to the Admiral's influence on his fleet? IS the idea to keep the main admiral ready to jump into the major battles in the center or stick with a particular fleet? (Is it allowed to transfer officers freely?)

There is something to be said for being on the toughest battleship, but a lot to be said for a fast and well shielded standoff cruiser with boarding pods. It is not critical in the front line, can be used for captures (and resist boarding itself), but can move quickly and escape if on 50% shields or manual order. What is good practice?

P.S. Dogs, appliances etc. are minor background noises so much below speech volume that they don't compete or interfere at all.

< Message edited by Keston -- 7/8/2014 10:23:14 AM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 130
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/8/2014 8:34:53 PM   
silentdeth

I would like to be a guest if there are still slots open. As I'm new to the forums I cannot post a link, but my youtube user name is "silentdeth1".

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 131
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/8/2014 10:34:58 PM   
Tophat1815

Well so far it doesn't look too terrible... But with the resupply ship headed north to deploy in that gaseous nebula why not send that almost out of fuel slaver fleet back to the resupply ship? Distance is shorter and you have troop-transports for fortress Torok. If turn is already done and I am sure it is hopefully next aspiring Kek leader will get some troop-transports to Torok!

Love this series! Post part 2b!!!!!!

(in reply to silentdeth)
Post #: 132
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/8/2014 10:45:45 PM   
DasTactic

Part 2b is up. :)

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 17 Part 2b ~ Battle of Tathad

Next player will be Space Game Junkie who was actually the first person on YouTube to put up a video about Universe before launch. :)

SD, I'll send you a PM...

Too late to turn those ships around now I think. :)

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 133
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/9/2014 5:01:28 AM   
Keston

The path to gobbling up the central cluster and then expanding to galactic empire seems clear now, if the Mortalens lend a hand. The pirates can keep the Terrans busy - supporting legendary pirates for a time could be useful for this purpose.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 134
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/11/2014 7:13:44 AM   
Veloxi

Update: Oh no! It looks like I somehow got the wrong save game file and did year 17 over again! I'll try to do year 18 soon!

Hello!! As a relatively pacifistic and inexperienced player who's not used to making people angry, I present to you the following installment:

Distant Worlds Collaborative - Alternate Year 17 - AAAAHHHHHOMGOMG

Mind the vomit and don't look at me DIRECTLY in the eyes, or I'll strike, mostly out of sheer terror. ;)

< Message edited by Veloxi -- 7/11/2014 4:01:57 PM >

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 135
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/11/2014 4:57:47 PM   
DasTactic

Oops! I screwed up big time here! My apologies to Veloxi aka Space Game Junkie because I didn't place the save-game in the shared folder. :(

So unfortunately the year needs to be played out again.

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 136
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/12/2014 6:05:35 AM   
Tcby

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 137
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/13/2014 8:10:29 AM   
johanwanderer

I don't mind the alternative timeline :). It is a great way to compare the different perspectives. I also think it's great that the advisers want to offer subjugation to the Human. That might be the only good suggestion they had though.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 138
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/13/2014 6:14:22 PM   
Veloxi

Hey guys, slightly off topic, but I interviewed Das24680 for my site, and it was a lot of fun as we talk a lot about Distant Worlds and other stuff. :)

http://youtu.be/RMGbdUmm8F8

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 139
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/14/2014 7:54:37 PM   
Blackstork

Hey folks.. Been watching your game lurkingly for some time.... meanwhile were doing my mod : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3651979&mpage=1&key=
which is immersion extensions based on Haree78 Extended mod and your, Das, chrome mod.

Haree already used Caleph for his AAR series, which is great thing to see, and i thouht perhaps kinky evil Keskudon and well-picked-and-packed evil soundtrack will be useful to you and add some spice and flavor to the series. Anyways Keskudon is up there. Will be happy to see Kesky immersion extention used by your series.

And great stuff so far!

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 7/14/2014 8:55:34 PM >

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 140
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/15/2014 3:04:48 PM   
Tophat1815

Does the correct year 18 save still exist or will there be a problem with the correct timeline moving forward? By this I mean is Veloxi's year 17 alternate going to be used or is Das going to redo his year 17? It's been a great AAR so far but it seems to have stalled

< Message edited by Tophat1812 -- 7/15/2014 4:07:52 PM >

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 141
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/15/2014 4:56:09 PM   
Veloxi

Hey guuuuuuys, I was finally able to use the correct save game for year 18! YAY! As a result, lots of crap happened, so I invite you to enjoy

Distant Worlds Collaborative - Year 18 - Flailing About...

And watch as I ruin EVERYTHING! ;) (Not really...well...kinda...;)

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 142
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/17/2014 1:12:52 PM   
Tophat1815

Well,that is why you never let the secretary of agriculture off the farm. In all the hullabaloo did ship and base designs get upgraded with point-defense weapons?

Larry,I really am interested to see you sort the puzzle out of what is going on in the worlds of kesk.

So to sum up in readers digest review: Wars..........both back on. PD upgrades maybe yes,maybe no. Ship backlog of construction.....YEPPERS!!! Warship priority of construction......BIG NO! Defense bases being built.......EVERYWHERE!!! "YES"..........Materials shortages/delays rule the empire!!!!! And Keskudons are now paying off every pirate that has a ship. Cashflow............who knows

Special note the keskudon arsenal of F$#% bombs has been exhausted in one episode.....

Larry.........what you gonna do??????

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 143
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/17/2014 5:00:33 PM   
dwawilson

I really love this collaborative series. The Space Game Junkie spent more money than President Obama. Once all the ships and bases are built you will be running about the same deficit as the USA too.

I have three thing I think you need to address:

1. Rail guns are obsolete. You have researched the tech beyond rail guns and could upgrade to those although I prefer Maxos blasters. You really need to make sure your star ports and bases don't have rail guns. The enemy almost never closes to point blank when attacking space ports and bases.

2. Your ships are too slow. DAS was going to retrofit the ships to run at least 20 speed while cruising. Unfortunately he was looking at the energy line instead of the speed line and the ships are still too slow. This is especially bad with rail guns.

3. You need to specialize your research. The keskodons are not the brightest race in the universe. They really need to research just one or two weapons or they will fall way behind. I suggest blasters and torpedoes.

I cant wait to see what Larry does to get out of this. Is he even around? Maybe it goes something like this:

The three men I admire most
Larry, Das, and the random host
took the last train for the coast
the day the music died

Good luck

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 144
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/17/2014 6:57:36 PM   
StarLab

Basically a cleanup episode...

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 19: Pt1 ~ Backlogs & Shortages

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812
Larry.........what you gonna do??????

I'm gonna spend 40 minutes and not run the game at all!

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwawilson
The three men I admire most
Larry, Das, and the random host
took the last train for the coast
the day the music died

Good luck

Awesome!

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to dwawilson)
Post #: 145
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/17/2014 8:06:26 PM   
vmxa_slith

Sounds like someone was listening to Don McLean. BTW I could not watch the carnage from the last episode as money was set on fire for nothing. Resources were squandered for little effect.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 146
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/17/2014 10:16:29 PM   
Tophat1815

It was a serious departure from what had been going on before,I like the chaos actually. How Larry and Das deal with the hand they are dealt while keeping the keskudon space opera going is what makes me follow this so close. This is just like the Emperor Fred AAR for me,addictive in a fun way.

I had thought the point defense research was completed already,but its close. Also you are fairly advanced in missiles for your ranged weapons and fairly far up the tree in rail-gun research. Do you have increased rate of fire for your railguns yet? I'd forget torpedoes and go for Ion or Grav weapons myself.

Yes ED I am still working! I'll probably get dumped in the neutral zone.

< Message edited by Tophat1812 -- 7/17/2014 11:27:42 PM >

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 147
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/19/2014 2:40:06 AM   
StarLab

Posted late as I had to upload this twice (thanks for that YouTube).

Distant Worlds Collaborative ~ Year 19: Pt2 ~ Time to Breath

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 148
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/19/2014 12:06:00 PM   
Keston

Good year. I believe the Keskudon word for peace is "insufficient war" but it does help regroup.

The private sector is quite wealthy with 300k cash flow, but it looks like taxes are already high. You appear to be already using enslave as well to boost revenue, but increasing loyal population would be ideal.

What is the population policy strategy right now? Enslave and Exterminate are natural to Keskudons. EDIT: Delete suggestion and math for Exterminate to boost pop on Kesukaa and core worlds since I'm advised the Pop +10% is a multiplier, not additive, so not worth it diplomatically in a central position until stronger.

Raethal and Tairoshans are already really angry. They will make war again - better not to let them set the schedule.

There is a "soft underbelly" argument for having the priority being to knock out the nearby and colony-less Tairoshans or at least strip their resource stars to weaken their economy.

Being reckless as they are, one idea is to try to get the reckless Tairoshans to attack head on once again into Keskuda's apparently weak capital defenses, then jump them with fleets held back out of scan range and follow up a win with a strike on the infrastructure in or near Bispen to draw out their navy. Crush the remainder, then split up the force for simultaneous strikes to capture or take out their stations with a view to claiming at least the westerly ones. Dandalas and Brivust put their scanners too close for comfort with scanners anyway. Knocking out their Super Nova research station would even the score for the one they destroyed, but if the AI maintains it as excess capacity then maybe better to let them keep the resource drain. Even without subjugation, their capabilities would be greatly clipped.

Just a suggestion on the war plans for the inevitable Next Tairoshan War.

The Raethal Group are Aggressive/Cautious, wealthier, stronger, farther away and have more predatory other neighbors than the Tairoshans. Scanner posts and a few scanner ships out in the void would reveal blue fleets inbound to the core worlds in time to react with forces engaged in "Tairoshia."

The risk of a Raethal-first war plan is that it would be a longer struggle and another opportunistic power might jump in against them for the spoils. Right now, the XHumans can keep them busy but unlikely to beat them.

Tactically, are you giving capture orders, or are your captures the result of AI for ships with assault pods picking a target and choosing to capture?

< Message edited by Keston -- 7/20/2014 11:53:01 AM >

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 149
RE: YouTube Collaborative Series - 7/19/2014 9:22:49 PM   
Tophat1815

The next Das breakdown of the situation should be interesting to view. The combat fleets have had several months to repair and build new construction,just depends how much of a merchant ship backlog and resource shortage still exists. Could be another slow turn to clear the backlog of construction. What am I saying,somebody else and his buddies will declare war on you without fail,better load troops on those transports.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: YouTube Collaborative Series Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI