Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I need space-welfare...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: I need space-welfare... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/22/2014 9:57:03 PM   
Airpower

I haven't found a correlation between the number of mining stations and cash income. Mining stations just dictate how fast you gather resources, and for the most part, my resource stockpile was fine. I would rather have a low amount of extremely strong mining stations than a lot of weak ones.

Normally I don't tax low-pop planets either, but I did it out of desperation in this game.

The low pop main planet point has been beaten to death, I think. I know why it happened - I over-expanded, and as those new planets began to increase in development level, all of the population from my homeworld simply migrated away because of the taxation level. So my tax revenue went down. And to compensate for the lower revenue, I cranked up taxes. This caused even more people to leave, putting me in an uncontrollable "death spiral" for homeworld population.

Since this post I have tried some new approaches, including not expanding at all, and only expanding to Quality 90%+ planets that are close by my homeworld. It's very clear to me that over-expanding is punished heavily in this game. Something I didn't know till AFTER I made this thread. :)

(in reply to Korashy)
Post #: 31
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/22/2014 11:14:41 PM   
Korashy

From what I noticed the more mining stations you build the more freighters are build to pick up/transport the resources. Your private sector also pays for the mining stations, so if they have tons of money there is no reason not to build any more mining stations. Having lots of mining stations also allows you to trade to fill "galactic resource needs" -> more cash.

I made this observation after finishing a couple mining stations and then finding my homeworld building a batch of 30 additional freighters. It may or may not be related, but it wouldn't make sense for the AI not to build more freighters as you have more stuff to transport.

(in reply to Airpower)
Post #: 32
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/23/2014 12:10:33 AM   
Shark7

I see a lot of hidden pirate bases, which are a huge drain on your income. Be sure to eradicate those, since they steal money and increase corruption on those colonies.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Korashy)
Post #: 33
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/23/2014 12:45:51 AM   
Korashy

I just checked my game, I have around 250 mining stations (combined) and over 1.5k private ships in freighters alone. That's a gigantic difference to your numbers.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 34
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/23/2014 3:12:05 AM   
Airpower

How many colonies do you have? My understanding was that the number of freighters was related to the number of colonies, not the number of mining stations.

(in reply to Korashy)
Post #: 35
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/23/2014 3:23:25 AM   
Korashy

About 20. You have more than me but a significantly lower amount of ships. The Keskudon empire shown here also has around the same amount of mining stations as I do and a fairly similar amount of private ships, tho he has about 4-5 times the amount of colonies I have.

I'm assuming colonies affect Mining ships, and passenger ships.

< Message edited by Korashy -- 7/23/2014 4:24:46 AM >

(in reply to Airpower)
Post #: 36
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/23/2014 3:31:47 AM   
Airpower

Interesting, I'll test this out. Thanks for the lead!

(in reply to Korashy)
Post #: 37
RE: I need space-welfare... - 7/23/2014 11:25:38 PM   
Korashy

If you are building a large private economy, you want to make sure to research fusion reactors at a decent time and switch all private ships to it, so they use Hydrogen, allowing your military to use caslon. Without that split you will quickly run out of fuel for your military.

(in reply to Airpower)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: I need space-welfare... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI