Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 2:13:09 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

ORIGINAL: lurchi
Well, I wanted an equivalent for both of them. Death Ray pendants only would be easy, but I'd sure like to see different planet busters as well.

If we only have planet busters after the beam tech tree, then races that pursue lasers will have a huge advantage over the others that don't.

Ask the almighty Elliot for a template for a planet killer :3

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 61
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 2:19:27 PM   
Cmiller

How do I install this mod?

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 62
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 2:21:50 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

Agreed!

lurchi check out the wishlist I'm maintaining in the OP for the AI Improvement Mod and I'm also sending PM's to Elliot and Erik.

While we still have patches coming they maybe opportunities for them to help.

Post #: 63
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 2:23:07 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmiller

1. Download from here;http://wikisend.com/download/986266/ResearchExtendedV0.3.zip

2. Go to your Distant Worlds: Universe folder.

3. Back up the file called "research.txt" on your desktop or something.

4. Place the new "research.txt" file you downloaded into the folder you want (In this case, Distant Worlds Universe, full stop).

5. Repeat for "components.txt" and "facilities.txt" as necessary.

6. You're done!

But make sure you back up everything! This is VERY important!

< Message edited by ParagonExile -- 7/22/2014 3:24:58 PM >

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 64
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 2:58:49 PM   
lurchi

quote:

quote:

Well, I wanted an equivalent for both of them. Death Ray pendants only would be easy, but I'd sure like to see different planet busters as well.

If we only have planet busters after the beam tech tree, then races that pursue lasers will have a huge advantage over the others that don't.

Will do.

Post #: 65
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 3:02:20 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmiller

Download the zip file (see first post) and extract it into the Customization folder of Distant Worlds Universe. Restart the game and load the Research Extended theme.

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 66
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 3:05:52 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

Download the zip file (see first post) and extract it into the Customization folder of Distant Worlds Universe. Restart the game and load the Research Extended theme.

Real men customize all their mods to work together.

What are you Lurchi, a casual?

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 67
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 3:08:44 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

lurchi check out the wishlist I'm maintaining in the OP for the AI Improvement Mod and I'm also sending PM's to Elliot and Erik.

While we still have patches coming they maybe opportunities for them to help.

True. Once the game is stable it will be much harder, probably impossible to get them to help.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 68
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 3:12:12 PM   
lurchi

quote:

quote:

No, but Cmiller asking this showed me he is one so the easy way it is.

Post #: 69
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 3:30:11 PM   
Icemania

quote:

Are you man of talk or a man of action? Join the mod team and get it done.

Post #: 70
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 3:44:22 PM   
Cmiller

Thanks, was wondering why it wasn't working when I pasted it to my Customization folder. I like the current work so far. May I make a few suggestions/questions?:

Beam weapons: So why do the Keskdon have ridiculously overpowered blasters compared to the titan beam, but the Wekkarus are completely left out? Is there any reason why they need blasters as powerful as the death ray? And what will you do to Lemeresh super weapon?

Ion weapons: I think they need power upping, since they become useless after you get the higher end weapons such as Titan Beam and thunderbolt torpedo. Perhaps you can also add more varieties of ion weapons as well. Such as say an ion weapon that has long range abilities but less damage, and then an ion weapon with short range but great damage. And maybe even a fast high speed bolt ion cannon that shoots more rapidly than its cousins.

Gravitic Weapons: I think these need to be nerfed a bit. And perhaps lower the size requirement of them. Or better yet, make a strong gravitic weapon that is powerful, but has large size requirement. And maybe a one that is weaker but lower size requirement, but not to small of size where you can stick hundreds of them on a capital ship. Oh, and maybe there can be defense mechanisms against gravitic weapons.

Area Weapons: I got nothing in this since I never used them.

Torpedoes: I think one of the extended races should have a their own unique torpedo. Boskara of course have a high damage torpedo, but slightly suffers from damage loss at long distances. So perhaps the other special torpedo has small damage, but less damage loss at long distance ranges. I'm also assuming you will extend this branch as well?
May i suggest that after the "third" epislon torpedo upgrade, it will then branch off into the velocity shard and shockwave. And also these two torpedoes velocity shard and shockwave should have more upgrades as well before heading into advanced torpedoes.

Star Fighters: Okay so Medium torpedo bombers could have the requirement of upgraded torpedoes before available. Say you must have the velocity shard or the shockwave before actually research medium (just as an example). The same could apply to missile fighters, where enhanced missile fighters need a missile upgrade before available. Another cool idea would to be have sort of ion blaster fighters. And maybe even a fighter that shoots rail guns or something. You know what I mean, more types of fighters to add more variety and make it seem less linear.

Missles/Bombard Weapons: I think bombard weapons need to be available later in the game rather than too early. The ability to bombard planets so early in the game and then just go ahead and destroy a few pirate bases is overpowered and unbalanced. And only two types of missles is rather boring and too linear. Add more missile types!

Rail Guns: As of right now, I see these as just utterly useless. Perhaps they need to be upped in power either by making engines faster, or increased range, or anything you think will cut it. But at least do something to them.

Troops: Honestly I think this branch could be left alone. It seems fine as it is too me. That's just my opinion though others may think different which is fine.

Reactors: What happened to the Keskudon's special reactor? Also, I feel that the quameno reactors need more upgrades. The fact that its weaker than the improved Hyperfusion reactor just defeats the purpose of their special tech, and practically obsoletes their special tech late game.

Sheilds: Again, Zenox shield. Weaker than late gate shields. Needs more upgrades to remedy this. Also, I see no reason to obsolete the Deucalios sheilds. Just give them more upgrades after the Meridian sheilds. This way the player has choice whether they want high recharging sheilds, or strong sheilds with less recharge rate instead of forced to just have one and only one shield during the late game. Also, I feel that one of the extended races should have special shield that specializes in fast recharge.

Hyperdrives: I like that you lowered the speed of the hyperdrives.

Engines: The Quantum Engine and Acceleros Engine I feel need one more upgrade to stay on power with Vector Engine. I would actually suggest that the Acceleros engine actually specialize in smaller size, but lower speed if you know what I mean. . Now you'd have three types of engines. Energy efficient engines with slightly smaller speeds, high speed engines with more energy use, and low size/low power engines for those cheapskates out there.

Vectors: I have really nothing to say about this one, other than I feel its good as is. You can do with it what you want.

Mining: Again, I don't have much input.

Energy Collection: Are you going to do anything about Energy to Fuel converters?

Ship Sizes/Damage Control: Awesome job giving the bigger ship sizes. Is it possible we can get the AI to use these ship sizes to their maximum potential now? Oh, and love that Damage control is something you get much earlier. Definitely a must have.

Countermeasures/Target Tracking. Perhaps add more tech levels to these brances. Maybe compenents that can reach up to 50-55%. And the Kidian and Ugnari can go up to 70%.

Stealth/Scanners/Jammers/Sensors: Okay, so I think all of these could have their own separate branches. Once when the player researches upgraded sensors, it could branch out into two separate categories: Scanners and Scanner Jammers. Once when the player researches enough scanner jammer technology it can then branch out into stealth.

Colonization: Are you going to adapt the Extended Colinzation v0.1?

I don't really have any input on the rest of tech tree, other than maybe there can be a level 3 tech for Crew Systems, Medbays, amd Recreation to fill in the empty gap. (Btw, what happened to lipid medbay?). You could also prolong the period is would take to get wonders. Getting a wonder so early in the game is just a game breaker, and makes you empire expand much farther ahead of the AI. Really I think its just broken. Yeah I don't think anybody should get a wonder before the classical era at least.

TD'lr: I have suggestions for this project, and have conveniently separated them by tech category to allow easy skimming of this post. Just know whatever you feel like changing I'll be happy with the results. I always welcome new mods into my games, and have good faith this one will turn out great. Cheers!

Cmiller

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 7/22/2014 4:48:56 PM >

Post #: 71
Research Reloaded - [DWU] [WIP] Restructured tech tree ... - 7/22/2014 4:36:23 PM   
lurchi

What you downloaded is a beta, V0.3, it's far from being done.
The mod is restarted right now. There will be more and different kinds of weapons, hyper drives, reactors and other components. Races will really have different ships, not just optically. I redo the complete research tree, especially the colonisation tree. It'll take some time, look forward to it.

< Message edited by lurchi -- 7/22/2014 5:42:59 PM >

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 72
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 4:52:02 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

My modding abilities are relegated to substituting the profile pic of the Atuuk with a cat wearing a cowboy hat.

I'll edit things when the first "full" release is done, and see how people like them.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 73
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 10:52:42 PM   
lurchi

quote:

My modding abilities are relegated to substituting the profile pic of the Atuuk with a cat wearing a cowboy hat.

We need more cat races, so go ahead.

Post #: 74
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/22/2014 11:00:33 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

quote:

We need more cat races, so go ahead.

Its more like furry duckling
May be its avian duck race?
Furry ducks strike back. With spears. YEAH

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 75
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 4:24:45 AM   
Unforeseen

So i may not be active for the next couple of days, i know i said i was going to test the PD weapons tonight but It's been a bad day. Woke up to find a dead pet, and a woman got hit by a car and died down the street. Bad juju.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 76
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 8:36:25 AM   
Kizucha

More furry cat races? I would like it, i near always play zenox. So i would love an shield upgrade too. Sadly i'm not a good painter if the opposit i already have made a hundret of new cat-race pics. we NEED an good artist for our DW-Mods that we get new shiny races. *_*

I'm looking really forward to the new research-tree i alway's have think that the vanilla research-tree is to small. xD

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 77
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 9:25:16 AM   
Icemania

quote:

quote:

I'll edit things when the first "full" release is done, and see how people like them.

Yeah right. Modding this game is trivial, no coding required, just text files with a few mysteries.

I would suggest integration rather than editing after release, I'm hoping this mod becomes "the one".

Post #: 78
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 1:55:51 PM   
Unforeseen

Tested PD weapons as prime tech(no parent), and it seems to be working fine.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 79
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 2:58:10 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Tested PD weapons as prime tech(no parent), and it seems to be working fine.

Hohoh, judging from how the research projects are constructed I hoped that would be the case. This will have serious impact on how I restructure the tree.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 80
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 3:15:27 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

Yeah right. Modding this game is trivial, no coding required, just text files with a few mysteries.

I would suggest integration rather than editing after release, I'm hoping this mod becomes "the one".

Damn, you Australians never give up. It must be all those drop bears.

I'll make a few side files, like resources and race dialogue, and package them together. Hopefully they don't suck.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 81
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 3:19:26 PM   
Blackstork

Hey side request to Englishmen.... Paragon and co, bros and sis - someone can help me at Beyond with diplo/pedia texts on new races and features. My ewnlishch suck I am not native speaker

Post #: 82
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 3:36:53 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

Hey side request to Englishmen.... Paragon and co, bros and sis - someone can help me at Beyond with diplo/pedia texts on new races and features. My ewnlishch suck I am not native speaker

Sure.

After I figure out to edit galactopedia stuff, I'll be happy to help! :D

What do you want me to edit?

< Message edited by ParagonExile -- 7/23/2014 4:37:20 PM >

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 83
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 3:56:46 PM   
Icemania

quote:

Damn, you Australians never give up. It must be all those drop bears.

I'll make a few side files, like resources and race dialogue, and package them together. Hopefully they don't suck.

Champion. Don't worry about the drop bears, they only attack tourists. Put some vegemite behind the ears and you'll be fine.

Post #: 84
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 4:05:10 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

Champion. Don't worry about the drop bears, they only attack tourists. Put some vegemite behind the ears and you'll be fine.

You don't know?

20% of Australian citizens have been attacked by drop bears, a fifth of the total!

I hope you carry that Vegemite with you at all times, don't be one of the 20% Icemania, I need you for modding Distant Worlds.

Icemania in a week without Vegemite.

< Message edited by ParagonExile -- 7/23/2014 5:06:52 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 85
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 4:24:45 PM   
Icemania

LOL, I live on the West Coast mate, not a problem.

Australian Museum

Serves them right on the other side of the bight.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 7/23/2014 5:32:58 PM >

Post #: 86
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 4:52:52 PM   
Tnarg

Thanks for working on this mod.
Out of curiosity is there anyway to create different types of FTL travel. I'm reading a series written by Evan Currie, Into the Black: Odyssey One, in it the races developed along different technological paths and they all have their pros and cons. The humans method of travel was a tachyon based transition drive which allowed instantaneous travel within a certain distance, I suppose something similar to what they used in Battle Star Galactica and Dune. The other races utilized warping space or hyper space like Star Trek and Star Wars in which there is some travel time to cross the stars.

I'm going to assume that modding an instantaneous transition drive is not possible in DW, but perhaps some tweaking to make it kind of like it. So to start on its own technology tree, the initial transition drive would have the speed value maxed out to simulate the instantaneous travel, but it would take a loonnnngggg time to warm up and then commence. Maybe even it can not be activated in a system near any gravitational effects, just outside the heliopause. And of course it's limited to a certain range before it needs to be recharged again. Further down the technology tree the activation time would be reduced, it can jump further, and would be able to jump near gravitational objects like near a planet.

Also for the per warp era maybe a path of ultra efficient engines or ultra fast engines that will get you to the nearest star but will take forever or faster (like a quarter of the speed of the entry level warp drive)but will require massive amounts of fuel.

Thanks again for working on this mod.

Post #: 87
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 4:54:27 PM   
Blackstork

@Paragon Pedia entry for new character system, new race entry, entries for few new goverments for Beyond Extended Universe. New race, its government and 2 race character systems will be done due end of this weekend. I could write stuff in my dirty and you could translate it to clean.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 7/23/2014 5:55:37 PM >

Post #: 88
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 5:02:15 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

@Paragon Pedia entry for new character system, new race entry, entries for few new goverments for Beyond Extended Universe. New race, its government and 2 race character systems will be done due end of this weekend. I could write stuff in my dirty and you could translate it to clean.

Sure. Either send me your writing or I can make something myself, pretty easy.

I'm not sure if it's possible to make a description of individual characters though.

Now, just let me ask how to edit galctopedia entries :D

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 89
RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and compon... - 7/23/2014 9:28:31 PM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tnarg

Thanks for working on this mod.
Out of curiosity is there anyway to create different types of FTL travel.

Thanks for your support.

Sadly significantly different kinds of hyper drives like transition or warp gates can't be added as of now. I have several parameters I can juggle with, most important speed, energy consumption and jump time, there's also size and research costs. I'm redoing the hyper drive tree in a way that all drives have their weak and strong points. Being really good in one field like speed will have serious repercussions for the other aspects.

quote:

So to start on its own technology tree, the initial transition drive would have the speed value maxed out to simulate the instantaneous travel, but it would take a loonnnngggg time to warm up and then commence. Maybe even it can not be activated in a system near any gravitational effects, just outside the heliopause. And of course it's limited to a certain range before it needs to be recharged again. Further down the technology tree the activation time would be reduced, it can jump further, and would be able to jump near gravitational objects like near a planet.

I have a quite similar drive on my list, I guess you're going to like that one a lot. I can't restrict the usage depending on the position of the ship, though.

quote:

Also for the per warp era maybe a path of ultra efficient engines or ultra fast engines that will get you to the nearest star but will take forever or faster (like a quarter of the speed of the entry level warp drive)but will require massive amounts of fuel.

I actually thought about that one. There's a problem, though. Those hypothetical thrusters would need to be really powerful for their size or the tiny ships in the pre warp area would have no room for anything but the drive. If I make them powerful enough there'd be no reason to develop other thrusters at all, since those would be way weaker. I guess the game also would be pretty much unplayable if ships zoom around inside systems like bats out of hell.

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Extended - [DWU] [WIP] New tech and components to research Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI