Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: - 7/29/2014 3:23:02 PM   
Skyjack

Hey all, just trying to get a handle on some concepts here. Thanks in advance for any help!

1) is the following statement (from over a year ago) still true?:

quote:

It is better to have 30 yards and 1 plant of each. because i started production on all ports at the same time.. built 30 ships.. and they all came out the same.. so its better to be able to build 30 ships (30 yards) and 1 plant each as more plants dont work faster.. per my results

2) is it a known fact that using STARBASES rather than SPACEPORTS is preferable to avoid the resource shuffling? Is there any downside to using only a STARBASE ( with MED & ENT) if you don't plan to construct ships on that particular planet?

3) when/where do I build wonders?

4) do recreational and medical facilities stack within the same base/port/ship or is only one needed?

5) should I build more than one mining base at a mineable planet?

6) if I'm mining a planet and later colonize it, should I then scrap the Mining Base?

7) there were discussions I read somewhere that using specialized research bases is not preferable to using bases with all 3 research branches on them. T/F?

8) do hyperdeny/tractors stack?

< Message edited by Skyjack -- 7/29/2014 4:24:12 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: - 7/29/2014 3:45:59 PM   
feelotraveller

1) I don't believe that anything has changed although I haven't tested it myself. The original conclusion was very conservative, in fact in nearly all circumstances you could run 50-60 yards of one plant of each without any slowdown. But then when are you going to have over 30 yards in one spot...

2) Known fact, no. Something a lot of people are saying, yes. Workable hypothesis, perhaps. But not my experience. Yes you get some resource shuffling but this is preferable (in my opinion) than having everything shipped from the other end of the galaxy, and every ship needing repairs/retrofitting travelling halfway across the galaxy to do so.

3) Ideally one on each high quality, highly populated world. I avoid worlds which already have the benefit of a ruin. (There are a couple of exceptions - e.g. you want the Bakuras yards at your major shipbuilding centre regardless of any other factor.) Strategic value is really the determinant but you need to make a guess at what it will be once a world hits its max population.

4) They do not stack so only one is needed unless you are worried about components getting damaged/disabled.

5) You can't.

6) It auto-scraps.

7) I build my research bases with one lab of each type on them so that any scientist who has abilities in other fields potentially gets to use these at this base. In the end whatever works for you.

8) Hyperdeny, no. Tractors, yes.

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 2
RE: GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: - 7/29/2014 3:54:09 PM   
Skyjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

1) I don't believe that anything has changed although I haven't tested it myself. The original conclusion was very conservative, in fact in nearly all circumstances you could run 50-60 yards of one plant of each without any slowdown. But then when are you going to have over 30 yards in one spot...

2) Known fact, no. Something a lot of people are saying, yes. Workable hypothesis, perhaps. But not my experience. Yes you get some resource shuffling but this is preferable (in my opinion) than having everything shipped from the other end of the galaxy, and every ship needing repairs/retrofitting travelling halfway across the galaxy to do so.

3) Ideally one on each high quality, highly populated world. I avoid worlds which already have the benefit of a ruin. (There are a couple of exceptions - e.g. you want the Bakuras yards at your major shipbuilding centre regardless of any other factor.) Strategic value is really the determinant but you need to make a guess at what it will be once a world hits its max population.

4) They do not stack so only one is needed unless you are worried about components getting damaged/disabled.

5) You can't.

6) It auto-scraps.

7) I build my research bases with one lab of each type on them so that any scientist who has abilities in other fields potentially gets to use these at this base. In the end whatever works for you.

8) Hyperdeny, no. Tractors, yes.

Thank you for the quick answers! New game start time ;)

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 3
RE: GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: - 7/29/2014 4:41:29 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

I'll expand on this point a little;

I find it is useful to build one Spaceport (I usually build a large one) per settled system, so everywhere you go your ships and fleets have somewhere to base themselves. Making them large also lets them be quasi-indestructible and resistant to invasion, which gives me bastions to hold off enemy attacks even if the rest of the system falls to them.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 4
RE: GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: - 7/29/2014 5:47:33 PM   
Skyjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

quote:

I'll expand on this point a little;

I find it is useful to build one Spaceport (I usually build a large one) per settled system, so everywhere you go your ships and fleets have somewhere to base themselves. Making them large also lets them be quasi-indestructible and resistant to invasion, which gives me bastions to hold off enemy attacks even if the rest of the system falls to them.

Okay since you're expanding, I'll ask a follow up:

What's your criteria for placing a large Spaceport? ANY owned system? Only those with colonies or extremely valuable resources?

Thanks.

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 5
RE: GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: - 7/29/2014 7:02:11 PM   
ParagonExile

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyjack
Okay since you're expanding, I'll ask a follow up:

What's your criteria for placing a large Spaceport? ANY owned system? Only those with colonies or extremely valuable resources?

Thanks.

I place it as my income allows.

Early game, I'll build a small (1000 size) base at my first colony I expect to be the major base, then upgrade it to a large spaceport as my technology advances and my development/population improves. Late-game, when I have many more bases, hundreds of ships and millions of credits per tick, I'll skip the small base altogether and just build the large base right after colonizing the planet. Usually takes a few minutes, but it's always worked out well.

But if you're a newer player (and hence less experienced with how the game works) I'd suggest avoiding larger bases until you know what components do what, how many to place etc...

Feel free to ask more.

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> GENERAL NEWB QUESTIONS: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI