Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:30:20 PM   
Banjo

US.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 571
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:31:42 PM   
Banjo

Russian.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 572
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:40:47 PM   
Banjo

What the French scrapping table looks like, along with destroyed units this turn. They had a lot of shattered units comming back to them. Trying to write with the mouse isn't easy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 573
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 10:58:50 PM   
Banjo

I am not happy with these builds, mainly due to the gearing limits. I believe over the last three builds, 2 HQs were built which really eat up the points. I was debating to build an armor or mech instead of the synth oil, but, the gas hogs will need their fuel so it had to be done sometime.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 574
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:04:02 PM   
Banjo

Italian builds.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 575
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:14:27 PM   
Banjo

Japanese builds. The Yamato is coming. A mountain unit will be nice in China, which could possibly free another unit to be sent elsewhere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 576
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:21:16 PM   
Banjo

Chinese builds. Both units are communist. Their position is secure for a while. Perhaps they can start putting on some pressure in the next few turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 577
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:32:10 PM   
Banjo

CW builds. Air cover and convoy maintaining is the order of the day.The Med is their main focus for the moment. Forces will find their way to the east as the situation permits.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 578
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:43:01 PM   
Banjo

The French with 4 points built an AA unit. Why, I guess to help against ground strikes if the Germans attack. I am getting into new territory with the game here, and will wait and see what happens.

< Message edited by Banjo -- 8/1/2014 12:43:19 AM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 579
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:45:58 PM   
Banjo

US builds.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 580
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:51:20 PM   
Banjo

Russian builds. THey may need the oil who knows. A little air defense and a city speed bump.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 581
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:54:09 PM   
Banjo

With the creation of Vichy France, the US gains 3 points.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 582
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 7/31/2014 11:57:00 PM   
Banjo

Vichy and Free French.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 583
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 2:21:18 AM   
Banjo

This is what is being delivered this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 584
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 2:41:12 AM   
composer99

Looks like there's no Free France. Is that correct?

~ Composer99

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 585
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 2:43:55 AM   
Banjo

SEP/OCT40
Allied impulse 1.

The Allies win the initiative roll, and choose to go first in order to ensure that the convoy routes are covered. The weather is lousy.

Free France and CW naval.
US and USSR combined.
China land.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Banjo -- 8/1/2014 3:46:28 AM >

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 586
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 3:28:45 AM   
Banjo

Hi Composer. Free France is in Equatorial Africa based in the Belgian Congo and the Pacific minor colonies and territories.

Was looking at the German production just now, and it is all screwed up. Somehow all of the non oil resources are being sent to Italy!!

Gonna call it a night and reload at the trade agreement phase to see if that clears it up. If not, I hope its not further back in the game.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 587
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 2:25:08 PM   
Banjo

After trying several replays of the Lending Resources phase, I found that the problem lies there.

What happened is that I had a new agreement with Italy sending them 1 BP, 0 non oil and 1 oil.

This caused 20 non oil resources to be sent to Italy.

If I send 1 BP, 1 non oil and 1 oil, it works correctly.

I think the problem lies in having 0 non oil in the trade. I did a bit of reading in the manual and bug reports and did not find anything. It might be there but I missed it. If anyone has any idea if I did something wrong or it is a bug, please let me know. I copied the saves to pass along a bug report if it is a bug.

Now to get the game back on track.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 588
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 2:46:24 PM   
Banjo

The Axis take the initiative in the first impulse this time after getting the trade issue sorted out.

Japan annexes French Indochina, and the US reacts adding one point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 589
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 3:15:12 PM   
Banjo

SEP/OCT 40
Axis impulse 1.

Naval for everyone.

The weather is not quite as bad as the original sart of the turn. This time the Axis win the initiative.

With the French Navy out of the picture, the Italian navy has less to worry about. In the chaos of the last CW naval move phase, the convoys in the Eastern Med were left unprotected, as their original defenders had engaged in combat. I think there were a few light cruisers in Gibralter, certainly Aden that could have been sent, but again, an oversight. The Italians and Germans will be sending out the subs, while the Italians send some surface units into the East Med, hoping again to draw out the Royal Navy.

The Japanese having just gained Indochina, will send some units there to give the Royal Navy something to think about, hopefully causing the fleet in Aden to think twice about sending to much into the Med. The Kriegsmarine may sortie some surface raiders to further give the Italians some relief, and maybe get some more troops into Libya.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 590
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 3:50:07 PM   
composer99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banjo

After trying several replays of the Lending Resources phase, I found that the problem lies there.

What happened is that I had a new agreement with Italy sending them 1 BP, 0 non oil and 1 oil.

This caused 20 non oil resources to be sent to Italy.

If I send 1 BP, 1 non oil and 1 oil, it works correctly.

I think the problem lies in having 0 non oil in the trade. I did a bit of reading in the manual and bug reports and did not find anything. It might be there but I missed it. If anyone has any idea if I did something wrong or it is a bug, please let me know. I copied the saves to pass along a bug report if it is a bug.

Now to get the game back on track.

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to enter '0' or leave a field blank when setting up lending.

Looks like a bug to me.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 591
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 9:28:01 PM   
Banjo

I sent in a report on the possible bug.

In my previous attempts at this game, the Japanese navy never got past transport duty. The nature of this turn with the German and Italian opportunity, has given me a reason to start seriously thinking about what to do with the IJN, instead of piling them all into Tokyo Bay.

The IJN has sent 5 of the slower BBs, 4 or 5 CA and 4 or 5 CL into the South China Sea to give the Royal Navy something to think about, along with a sub to the East Indian Ocean to make their convoys nervous. They will end up in Saigon once they get a land unit there, in case partisans appear.

Also a nice big 8-3 INF has landed in Canton, to help clear the way to the coast and drive toward Hanoi. Yamamoto will lead that drive, while Umezu keeps order near Changsa.

After taking a look at the force pool, I was a bit dismayed as to how few infantry and HQ units remain. The coming build phases are going to be interesting.

Here is the situation in South China. The Chinese will have somethiing to think about now that their back door is open.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 592
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 10:05:30 PM   
Banjo

The German-Italian naval operation.

All subs have put to sea, with the exception a one Italian sub which will react to the Royal Navy, and one uboat that remained in the Bay of Biscay. Two Italian CA and two CL go to the Eastern Med to draw out the Royal Navy and hope to find the convoys. One uboat did not have the range and sits in the Faroes.

The Kriegsmarine will wait to see what the RN does. They at least pose a threat sitting in port.

It was tempting to send one of the unoats to the East Coast and the Kriegsmarine into the North Atlantic, but I thought it would be stretching things a bit too far at the moment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 593
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 10:15:28 PM   
Banjo

The Italians got the drop on the convoys with lots of suprise points.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 594
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/1/2014 10:33:19 PM   
Banjo

Cape st. Vincent results. All other searches failed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 595
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/2/2014 2:04:49 AM   
Banjo

SEP/OCT 40
Allied impulse 3.

China land.
USSR and US combined.
Free France and CW naval.

Free France Needs to connect their resource in New Caledonia, and the RN must protect its convoy lifeline.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 596
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/2/2014 5:20:17 AM   
Banjo

Naval movement is complete. Searches for the enemy were futile.

Another lesson learned is don't base ships in Scapa unless it is in supply. I thought that such a major base would be in supply.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 597
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/15/2016 5:51:17 PM   
Banjo

So I decided to take a look at the last time I played MWIF, and cannot believe it has been 2 years. Lots of things have been going on in the meantime. Mainly a move halfway across the country!!

Before I decide to continue with this AAR is...

How much has changed with the updates that would affect gameplay? Would I be better off starting fresh to learn what is new and changed, plus what I have forgotten about how the game plays?

Your input is welcome.

THank you

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 598
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/15/2016 6:40:09 PM   
AllenK

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that has majorly changed gameplay. The updates have generally been to fix bugs, rather than introduce new features.

(in reply to Banjo)
Post #: 599
RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so... - 8/16/2016 5:08:25 AM   
Courtenay

I would start over. You haven't gotten that far, you were bit by the save oil bug that was fixed, and, unless your memory is very much better than mine, you don't really remember what, exactly, you were doing. After two years, start a new game.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: An advanced beginners AAR, and what i've learned so far and hope to learn Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 [20] 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI