Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/2/2014 11:47:00 AM   
Tnarg

Osito, where in the editor can I change the amount of starting resources for a created empire? When you say that when you create an empire in the editor and the races start with horrible beginning resources, are you talking about the 3 to 5 planetary resources that that particular planet starts with or the stockpiles of the many various resources necessary to start building your initial few ships and bases? Thanks.

< Message edited by Tnarg -- 8/2/2014 12:54:46 PM >

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 31
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/2/2014 12:27:09 PM   
feygan

It is a matter of looking for the techs that relate to whatever component you are changing. In this case the hyperdrives and so in game you have techs that give you a new type of hyperdrive, and techs that offer an increase to that hyperdrive type. So taking the top end as an example you have I believe three tech stages as follows.

1.The tech that unlocks the Torrent drive (the name escapes me)
2.Hyperspace path slicing, this offers an increase to the Torrent drive stats
3.Unified hyperspace theory, this offer an additional increase in stats.

Now the Torrent drive itself has it's base stats determined in the components.txt, however if you look at the two tech listed above in research.txt you will see something like this.

quote:

PROJECT ;171, Unified HyperDrive Theory, 7, 16, 1, 10, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;51, 7, XXXXXXXX, 105, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0,
PARENTS ;170, N

This shows how the tech will effect a given component in this case a hyperdrive, each number corresponds to various things such as the component type etc etc, all these numbers are explained at the top of the research.txt. In this case though XXXXXX represents what the new hyperspace speed will be after this tech. So if say change the torrent drive to move at 500 but forgot about this tech then you would suddenly find your torrent drive ships moving at 32000 upon research of this tech (I believe this is the default value).

This applies to each and every tech that has an effect on a hyperdrive and also includes changes to things like jump delay/energy use etc. So if you make a change to any component types you need to remember to make changes to the techs that will effect them later also. It is a bit of a headache due to the way the modding is laid out, you are basically defining 3 versions of the same component for each and every hyperdrive. Space empires 4 was like this and it's data files were a nightmare and tedious at best to edit, Space empires 5 went the route of having a single component entry and then having a line that told the game how each tech advance increased the component in percentage increments etc, it was a much better method and far quicker to edit without going into triplicate and more each time. Really do not understand why DW has used this method.

One final point is that even though these are all .txt files use something like notepad++ to do your working as it clears up any mess and makes the entire thing almost tolerable to look at for more than five minutes.

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 32
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/2/2014 1:16:59 PM   
Tnarg

Feygan, thanks and bummer, you are right...headache! I'm going to stick with working on my scenarios for now. I'll delve into that torrent once I get a couple scenarios built.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 33
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/2/2014 2:38:22 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tnarg

Osito, where in the editor can I change the amount of starting resources for a created empire? When you say that when you create an empire in the editor and the races start with horrible beginning resources, are you talking about the 3 to 5 planetary resources that that particular planet starts with or the stockpiles of the many various resources necessary to start building your initial few ships and bases? Thanks.

Simple answer: you can't. This is a major headache when trying to create scenarios.

There are essentially two options:

Option 1

1. Create a new empire in the game editor.
2. Give the new empire one or more colonies in the game editor.

This method will give each colony of the empire a small number of resources. The amount of resources is sufficient to do a pre-warp start from a single colony, if you are careful. However, the AI is not careful, and will gimp itself by using up all its resources.

Option 2

1. Create an event which spawns a new empire at a specific planet.
2. Trigger the event.

This method will create an empire with a colony which has (I believe) the same resources as an empire would get at the game start. However, the empire will also have explored at least two nearby star systems and will have a number of techs, probably including the Gerax. So you have to go to the editor and 'unexplore' the other systems, and take out the techs to put the empire back to pre-warp.

Neither of these options is ideal, but it's the best I can do.

Regarding slowing the warp speed, there is a relatively simple method, which is simply to amend the hyperdrive speeds of the various drives. For example, you might put the warp bubble generator speed down to 1000, the Gerax down to 2000, and so on. This would also affect range of course, but that would be a good thing. I haven't tested this to see how well it would work.

I believe that if you just amended the speed of the drives and their improvements in, for example, the 'Extended' theme, my scenarios should still work. However, I haven't tested it, and I can't guarantee it. I don't know what it is that prevents my map working with certain scenarios, and no one from Matrix seems to be ready to step in and provide an explanation.

Anyway, good luck!

Osito

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 34
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/2/2014 4:13:41 PM   
feygan

Editing hyper speeds works really well with your map (though I am sure it will have the same effect on others too). I find you end up with far more coherent empire boarders. One of my problems with vanilla was how many empires would look like a dropped plate of spaghetti encompassing vast distances but never actually covering any area fully. This led to lots of pockets of empires that constantly infringed on each other and in turn allowed for sudden deep strikes with no warning.

In my last game using your map at the end of the tech tree my empire had covered some 50+ colonies, but this was all contained within a 3 sector range of Sol, almost all AI races were of a similar structure to this and it made wars so much more interesting. I simply could not just drop a fleet on a homeworld as it would of meant I would then have a world surrounded by both hostile culture and forces. This forces a much more natural warfare feel and also allows you to structure your defences with varying perimiter levels. My personal choice on speeds starts at 4100 for the Gerax and builds up to 8300 for the Torrent drives, I found this way you had speeds that don't force you to get bored watching a fleet crawl along, but also allow you time to react when you see a fleet approaching. Much more though it forces you to actually think how your defences are planned as you can no longer just leave an uber fleet to cover an entire sector as it simply cannot get everywhere fast enough.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 35
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/2/2014 6:00:45 PM   
Tnarg

Hello feygan would you be wiling to copy and paste your component and research modifications here so I could take a look at them, just the parts that you modified would be great! Thanks.

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 36
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/3/2014 4:08:26 PM   
feygan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tnarg

Hello feygan would you be wiling to copy and paste your component and research modifications here so I could take a look at them, just the parts that you modified would be great! Thanks.

Rather than fill up this thread with things off topic here is a zip of the component and research techs I am using in my current game. Simply copy and pasting I feel would do an diservice to anyone using mods at this time as I said before the way DW modding works means you really need to learn some of how it works otherwise you will no doubt run into errors and crashes. It simply is not a user friendly modding game at this time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 37
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/3/2014 6:43:30 PM   
Tnarg

Feygan, much appreciated! I am a visual learner and this helped me understand all of those intricate weavings much more.

Osito, your map and help in trying to understand the galaxy editor is also greatly appreciated. I am working on a scenario based off your map and am discovering a ton of very cool tools in the form of events that can create a very immersive story driven scenario. When I finish this one, I plan on making more!

Thanks again!

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 38
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 8/3/2014 6:47:17 PM   
ParagonExile

Osito, I finally figured out what ruined the mod on my game, just so you know; I was using the GEM planets and stars, and when they were removed the game worked as it should. I must say, your map is incredible!

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 39
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 12/14/2014 9:44:08 PM   
Premislaus

Great map! I’m very grateful to you .

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 40
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 12/20/2014 11:53:59 AM   
Piosmen

Only I have problem with shortages the following resources: Aculon, Nekros Stone, Helium ? I cant see nekros stone and aculon in Sol system and without them i can't build ships and mines. How to start the game properly on this map ?

I have 1.9.5.10 version and play on Extended Universe. I never had a problem with this resources before.

Sorry for my english.

< Message edited by Piosmen -- 12/20/2014 1:11:05 PM >

(in reply to Premislaus)
Post #: 41
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 12/20/2014 5:16:30 PM   
Osito

Are you playing the human evolution scenario or the free for all? The free for all is a fair bit easier, and you should not have problems with resources (if I recall correctly). However, apart from caslon, I only put resources in the Sol system that are known to exist to present day humankind. So aculon and nekros stone are not in Sol, although you will have a starting supply. You have to go to other systems to mine them.

Playing the human evolution scenario, resources are very tight at the start. Unless you design all your bases and ships yourself, you will probably run out of resources. The scenario was designed to be like this. It is playable, provided you don't waste your initial supply of the resources that aren't available in the Sol system, and provided you seek out such resources in nearby systems as soon as possible.

Osito

PS I'm sure there's helium in the Sol system (at least in the scenarios). Check out the gas giants, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

< Message edited by Osito -- 12/20/2014 6:17:39 PM >

(in reply to Piosmen)
Post #: 42
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 12/20/2014 9:26:05 PM   
Premislaus

quote:

Playing the human evolution scenario, resources are very tight at the start. Unless you design all your bases and ships yourself, you will probably run out of resources.

This is not necessary. Obsolete everything and build mining station on Jupiter. After that you can again enable automation.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 43
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 1/4/2015 12:38:05 PM   
Piosmen

Can I play this mod with AI Improvement Mod 1.04 ? Has anyone try this ?

(in reply to Premislaus)
Post #: 44
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 1/4/2015 11:51:53 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piosmen

Can I play this mod with AI Improvement Mod 1.04 ? Has anyone try this ?

I think Icemania said the map itself does work, but note that you can't play the scenarios, which means that you can't select a Sol start for humans (if that matters) - unless you're prepared to set it up as a scenario yourself. This is a limitation of DW:U, I'm afraid. There's nothing I can do about it, other than release specific scenarios for each mod (which is far more trouble than it's worth!).

Osito

(in reply to Piosmen)
Post #: 45
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 1/5/2015 10:07:19 AM   
Icemania

Yeah it works with the AI Improvement Mod but Custom Games only, no Scenarios. Start a New Game ... select "No thanks, I want to set up a Custom Game" ... and apply "Load existing Galaxy as Map" making sure all the Regenerate options are selected (just Regenerate Resources seems to work also). Anything else and it just uses Vanilla.

The good news is that I can play with your Map and what a magnificent Map it is!

< Message edited by Icemania -- 1/5/2015 11:41:41 AM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 46
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 1/17/2015 5:16:19 PM   
Stardude

Has anyone had luck starting as a pirate faction on this map? I have been trying and it never loads, do I have to use Vanilla map for that?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 47
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 1/18/2015 10:13:34 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stardude

Has anyone had luck starting as a pirate faction on this map? I have been trying and it never loads, do I have to use Vanilla map for that?

You're right, and I can't get it to start in vanilla with a pirate race either, so that probably won't help.

When I created the map, I wasn't personally interested in playing pirates, and I can't remember whether I specifically tested it for pirate play. So it's possible it never worked with pirates, or, alternatively, one of the subsequent patches may have affected it.

Having said that, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work with pirates. Then again, I could say that about a lot of what happens with map creation.

(in reply to Stardude)
Post #: 48
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 1/19/2015 1:23:07 PM   
Kabbers

This looks gorgeous Osito, thank you!

I was reading over the weekend how we see less stars - but more clearly - in the winter sky because as citizens of the earth we're all looking "out" or away from the centre of the Milky Way in the winter, and "into" the busy but cloudier centre during the summer months. Not sure I've totally got my head around that :-) so your map will be for me an extended meditation on this cheers !!

http://earthsky.org/space/star-seasonal-appearance-brightness

Kabbers x

< Message edited by Kabbers -- 1/19/2015 2:24:26 PM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 49
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/10/2015 4:05:20 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stardude

After looking into this further, it seems you can play as a pirate, as long as you select one of the 'free for all' scenarios, i.e., you have to play the scenario. Obviously, everyone's starting position is fixed, but there are several pirates to choose from.

If you try to load the map into a new (non-scenario) game and play as a pirate faction it simply doesn't work. Perhaps when I originally created the map I selected 'no pirates' and the map somehow remembers that. Or perhaps it's something else. Whatever the situation, it seems the only way to fix the problem would be to redo the map from scratch, and that's not going to happen without a lot of changes to the map editor.

Another workaround is to do this:
- start a game as a non-pirate empire using all the settings you want
- add your pirate faction where you want it.
- save the game in the maps folder (either the default one or the extended one)
- load your save game as a scenario.

Osito

(in reply to Stardude)
Post #: 50
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/16/2016 5:37:18 AM   
Unforeseen

I cant believe im only just now discovering this. Id always wanted to do this but knew it would take an incredible amount of time to complete.

How many stars are on this map??

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 51
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/16/2016 6:36:27 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Do what? Isn't this just a new map? are there changes in the game or research? I read the first page but it wasn't exactly clear as it could have been..

So it's a new galaxy back-grounded map.. What else am I missing here?

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/16/2016 8:30:51 AM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 52
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/16/2016 7:05:03 AM   
Bingeling

Without having tried it, it seems like: A standard DW map sprinkles random stars around with random names (from a list of system names).

This is a fixed layout with stars (and names) giving a 2d representation of the Milky Way. So you will have the Sol system and the closest one is Alpha Centauri.

There was an additional link on how to replace the background map. If you wish to do so.

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 53
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/16/2016 7:30:59 AM   
Blabsawaw22

ha.. exactly so you got the same thing I got out of it..

It's just a map that the guy created.. which is cool but ok.. no game changers here.. just confirming..

I probably will try it.. I don't mind a new map..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/16/2016 8:32:13 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 54
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/16/2016 12:01:07 PM   
Osito

The point is that it is a map of our Milky Way galaxy - at least the parts of it we know about. So it features several hundred real stars placed in the correct direction from the sun, and at a proportionally correct distance from the sun (although it's not a linear proportionality, as a map like that would only have room for about 20 known star systems). Obviously a lot of star systems (i.e., those far from the sun) were invented, because they haven't been discovered, but every system was hand-placed. Also, our own solar system has all the planets, many planet moons, some dwarf planets and some asteroids. There are about 1350 star systems altogether. The editor will allow you to place more than 1400 stars, but that always results in a game crash within 20-50 years' game time.

Unless you're the sort of person who likes playing humans starting from earth this map will likely be of no interest whatsoever.

Also, and this is the biggest caveat: you cannot play this map with mods, although I did include a version of the map that should work with 'Extended Races'; and you cannot play as pirates for some reason, either.

This map took an extraordinary amount of time to put together, and if I'm honest, it probably wasn't worth the effort, because the inherent limitations of the game (such as not being able to play with mods) makes it all far too restricting. Give it a shot if you like, but you probably won't play it more than once.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 2/16/2016 1:05:01 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/16/2016 12:10:50 PM   
Blabsawaw22

haha ok..

I like the idea of making maps.. but yeah, I bet it consumes far too much time. ha.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 56
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 2/20/2016 4:50:56 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

a very good work Osito, I will try it !!!

Post #: 57
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 4/12/2019 1:18:40 AM   
Anthropoid

@Osito: I have now read through the whole thread and this time round paid close heed to your directions on integrating your maps into an alternate Theme and thus creating a new "scenario" with the map in said theme. I sent you a PM an hour or so ago asking if you could point me to the thread (mentioned by Roger Bacon) where you explain how to make "scenarios" and I suppose I've probably found it already.

Is the state you described back in 2014/2015 still the case for the latest Steam versions of the game? If so, a real shame that scenario and map creation were not given a bit more useability love. I was considering trying to integrate your maps with Das123's RetreatUE + Bacon Mod + Das Chrome theme. I may still give it a shot, but it sounds pretty tedious.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 58
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 4/12/2019 2:04:04 AM   
Retreat1970

Osito hasn't been around for a long time. Maybe someone else can answer?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 59
RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) - 4/12/2019 10:01:20 AM   
Osito

Hehe, I made a post just the other day ;-)

Osito

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Galactic Star Map (Version 1.0) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI