Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tips for a new player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Tips for a new player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tips for a new player - 8/3/2014 4:18:45 PM   
SteinB

Hi, I've had this game for a while now, and I have played the voronezh and the short case blue scenario as the Germans. In the CB scenario i managed a major victory against the easy AI (I didn't like the thought of it having bonuses), but really, I had no idea what I was doing.

When I look at the soviet side in CB for example, I see an ocean of units, many of which are far away from the front line. What to do with them? I just feel lost, and I am not capable of looking at the map and get any kind of understanding of what I need to do.

Also when attacking or defending, I am not capable of assessing whether or not my units have a good chance of victory.

It would be great if someone could give some tips as to how to successfully conduct offensive operations and how ot defend against them. With this comes also the need to organize armies and operations in a sensible manner.

Advice would be greatly appreciated

< Message edited by SteinB -- 8/3/2014 5:19:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Tips for a new player - 8/15/2014 4:03:20 AM   
trebcourie

Good questions. I wish I could answer. Alas, I have some of the same questions.

I've had this game for about a year. It's never completely gripped me, but I have dabbled on and off -- especially with PBEM. I can tell there is a lot of depth to the game, but some of it escapes me.

Playing the USSR in CB, I see no reason not to rush all of those units (especially in the south) up to the front lines -- or at least build a second line with them. Of course you should leave a few divisions along the coast in the unlikely event of an amphibious landing.

As the USSR, is there anything to do in Sevastopol except grin and bear it?

As to tactics:
-Should I sit units back and try to build a second line? Or rush everyone forward? How long do I need to keep broken units out of the line to restore them?
-Airpower. No idea what to do with it. Usually I pick a few key battles and make air attacks on those, but often I lose many of my airplanes.
-Replacing leaders? Using cards? I try to use leader cards most turns. Suggestions?

(in reply to SteinB)
Post #: 2
RE: Tips for a new player - 8/15/2014 4:31:32 PM   
cromlechi

I am in a similar position to BROJD. A few things I'd add:

Reduce the supply priority for non front line units or set them to disband if of no use.
Move airpower to areas where you need them (less distance to travel) they will provide cover for your shipping or spearhead.
Don't attack over the stack limit unless you need to to avoid penalties
Try to stick to a plan to comply with high command orders rather than attacking everywhere
Try and keep formations together, reassign HQ if necessary, keep checking the OOB
Use your navy to either to cut off supply to crimea or if russian to keep it open and evacuate

that's about all I know!

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 3
RE: Tips for a new player - 8/16/2014 12:08:19 PM   
mmarquo

Learn how to study the integrity, experience, morale and readiness - they all matter; especially readiness. Avoid combat with low ready/low integrity. Use cards to boost attack/defense when it really matters.

(in reply to cromlechi)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Tips for a new player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI