Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/16/2014 11:38:42 PM   
Wheat

End of 1941, blizzard, T28. I have attacked as much as I could, from north to south, every unit with enough MP and a remote chance of victory, attacked.

No guards created so far, and as I understand it, starting in 42, the number of victories needed increases?

Here are my victorious units.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/16/2014 11:40:19 PM   
Wheat

The losses to date. The germans are attacking during blizzard! GR is insane.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Wheat)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/16/2014 11:42:10 PM   
Wheat

The OOB, t28, end of 1941. Could the Germans go under 3 million??

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Wheat)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/17/2014 12:57:38 AM   
jwolf

My amateur's reading: you still have 9 more turns of blizzard, and many of your infantry divisions just need another 1 or 2 wins to be eligible for guards. So I predict that by the end of the blizzard you will have several guard divisions with more on the way.

Based on the OOBs I think you're in good shape. Also the fact that

quote:

GR is insane

will work in your favor.

(in reply to Wheat)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/17/2014 1:11:30 AM   
GamesaurusRex

The Fuhrer is the one who is insane ! We are just following orders !
The Fuhrer has ordered "NOT ONE STEP BACK !"... and the Wehrmact obeys... There will be no retreat ! H.H !

(The whole point of this exercise is to give the Russian every opportuntiy to earn Guards. If Wheat can't do it by blizzard end, I will have proven my point that something significant has changed in the latest patches affecting the formation of Guards. I think it was Morvael's fixing of the Russian "win" counter without any adjustment of number of wins needed to award Guards status. My sense of it is that some slight reduction of the number of "wins" needed... should have been made at the same time the "win" counter was fixed. Just my opinion.)

[I say this because I suspect that the number of "wins" needed to award Guard status was probably an arbitrary programming decision based upon beta-testing when the "win" counter was bugged and double crediting wins to the Russian. Now with the counter fixed, the number needed to award is probably too high to achieve... especially with the reduced blizzard.]

< Message edited by GamesaurusRex -- 8/17/2014 2:20:50 AM >

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/17/2014 1:37:38 AM   
charlie0311

Hi guys, been missing you. GR, let's state the obvious which is that you two, if no or few guards, have shown that in your circumstance (only) have few guards. Many other players have lots of guards with v.15 (including myself).

Let's hope you don't go permanently into "Fuhrer land". Now that was funny!! The Fuhrer demands laughter.

(in reply to GamesaurusRex)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/17/2014 1:54:16 AM   
jwolf

GR and Wheat, sorry I don't remember, but is this game with severe or mild blizzard?

At any rate, I submit that Wheat has many divisions on the edge of guards status and he should have several by the end of January; certainly by the end of February. Disclaimer: my rash prediction is based on the assumption that the German line isn't locked with forts throughout, and based on the wild description of the December fighting, that seems likely. If GR has a solid line of forts then all bets are off. Especially with the mild blizzard it is difficult for the Soviets to crack a fortified line.

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/17/2014 5:19:17 AM   
M60A3TTS

Things are just fine. You shouldn't have a bunch of guard rifle divisions at the end of 1941. Keep plugging away, and many of those units should make guards by end of February. So report back in 8 weeks.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/18/2014 4:28:38 AM   
GamesaurusRex

We will M60... We plan to continue this game at least thru the reduced blizzard, even if the 1.08 patch comes out, so we can see if you are correct about the Guards. I hope you are, but I sure haven't seen it and have my doubts, because the necessary "wins" just don't seem to be piling up. Wheat has been hammering away at my Krauts at every opportunity, but at turn 30 we have yet to see even a single guards unit appear.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/18/2014 9:24:10 AM   
Blubel

You didn't fight enough in summer. It helps to get some of them into winter with 3-4 wins.The south is a good place for easy soviet wins with the good units already there.

Post #: 10
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/18/2014 10:39:08 AM   
carlkay58

I agree with Blubel. The Soviets must do some good counter offensives during the summer of 41 in order to have good Guards production. If they do the counter offensives it is really hard to gain Guard status now as you are relying on the Soviets to gain their wins on defense only and a good Axis player will not allow that to happen easily.

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/19/2014 2:41:34 AM   
Ketza

Its possible with a good deal of planning to get the units with a few wins out of harms way just to bring them back for the offensive. Lots of micro managing but the benefits are worth it if you like little red counters!

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/20/2014 2:15:25 AM   
Wheat

Well, T31, Jan 15, 1942, I have my first GUARDS inf div.

He had 8 wins, no losses. I have others with 8 wins, but losses.

So, looks like I might see a handful by blizzards end.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 13
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/20/2014 4:25:35 AM   
Oshawott

quote:

Yay, math wins!

(in reply to Wheat)
Post #: 14
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/20/2014 5:41:16 AM   
charlie0311

Did you get the morale bonus (+5)?

I seem to have been confusing guards combat units with guards armies,sigh, more manual time.

At least I'm getting better with navigating in the updated manual.

< Message edited by charlie0311 -- 8/20/2014 5:06:00 PM >

(in reply to Oshawott)
Post #: 15
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/21/2014 10:06:41 AM   
hfarrish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wheat

So, looks like I might see a handful by blizzards end.

I recently finished a blizzard (which was nothing special, and my opponent did not provide a lot of attack opportunities in summer 41) and I have plenty of guards units. No issues with this particular feature, IMO.

(in reply to Wheat)
Post #: 16
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/29/2014 5:27:09 PM   
Wheat

Ok, just to update, with the ability to attack pretty much at will, I finished the blizzard with 54 guards units, 12 of them cavalry corps, and 42 infantry divisions.

So, I agree with hfarrish and other others, the guards can be gotten, all you need is access to the secret ingredient, a willing german player. Now maybe GR will admit the Russians should attack during the blizzard? Huh?

Well, the forum is waiting a reply.

< Message edited by Wheat -- 8/29/2014 6:27:37 PM >

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 17
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/29/2014 6:33:16 PM   
charlie0311

Sure, I'll bite you guys are pretty much fun. GR won't admit anything until he sobers up from his "Fuhrer Trance"

(in reply to Wheat)
Post #: 18
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/29/2014 10:25:53 PM   
GamesaurusRex

LOL... What's to admit ?

You need to reread Wheat's post...
The key words are: "with the ability to attack pretty much at will... all you need is access to the secret ingredient, a willing german player."

In this test case I did everything I could to leave German positions available to be attacked throughout the blizzard and, as a result, Wheat managed 54 Guards.

This is not how an experienced German player would play. A savy German opponent will simply do what Wheat did in our previous games... that is, retreat in the blizzard and refuse combat. The result will be predictably less than 54 Guards. In our last game it was NONE.

< Message edited by GamesaurusRex -- 8/29/2014 11:40:03 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/29/2014 10:41:15 PM   
Michael T

quote:

retreat in the blizzard and refuse combat

Play with sudden death and that strategy becomes more problematic

Post #: 20
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/29/2014 11:39:47 PM   
charlie0311

Hmm, I seem to remember certain assertions about how some change in Morvael's code made it difficult to get guards. I must be the one in a trance. No news there.

"Avoid combat", there we have it, as in pre-reduced blizzard days. 1) Dec, retreat 2) Jan, retreat 3) Mar, retreat. Viola!! no guards formation for the time being.

I have an absolute sure fire, hard coded, always works, way to prevent guards formations. Don't boot up the game. Sorry, excessive sarcasm.

PS. I think Wheat's post said something about the Sov attacking in winter, what did that mean, I wonder?

< Message edited by charlie0311 -- 8/30/2014 12:45:47 AM >

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 21
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 8/30/2014 4:18:20 AM   
hfarrish

quote:

ORIGINAL: GamesaurusRex

LOL... What's to admit ?

You need to reread Wheat's post...
The key words are: "with the ability to attack pretty much at will... all you need is access to the secret ingredient, a willing german player."

In this test case I did everything I could to leave German positions available to be attacked throughout the blizzard and, as a result, Wheat managed 54 Guards.

This is not how an experienced German player would play. A savy German opponent will simply do what Wheat did in our previous games... that is, retreat in the blizzard and refuse combat. The result will be predictably less than 54 Guards. In our last game it was NONE.

Yeah, but this has consequences...if the German retreats from the front and keeps his units away from the front, he won't be able to advance as quickly. I think too many ppl forget that the days of the flying gas cans are over. This makes a big difference. Fighting forward now makes sense, and German players who don't take risks are condemning themselves to 4 years of slow death...

Post #: 22
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 9/1/2014 5:47:15 PM   
GamesaurusRex

quote:

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Hmm, I seem to remember certain assertions about how some change in Morvael's code made it difficult to get guards. I must be the one in a trance. No news there.

"Avoid combat", there we have it, as in pre-reduced blizzard days. 1) Dec, retreat 2) Jan, retreat 3) Mar, retreat. Viola!! no guards formation for the time being.

I have an absolute sure fire, hard coded, always works, way to prevent guards formations. Don't boot up the game. Sorry, excessive sarcasm.

PS. I think Wheat's post said something about the Sov attacking in winter, what did that mean, I wonder?

Well I have to agree with you on one point, and that is attacking in blizzard by the Russians. The previous games I played with Wheat had 100/100 fortification settings which made it too easy to dig level 3 trenchlines instantly and resulted in nearly unassailable German defenses.

In this game we reduced the fortress setting to 75/75 and that has made it easier for the Russian to counterattack.

I like using the the reduced blizzard and reduced fortress settings because it makes the game more fluid. I'm leaning toward reducing the logistics setting too as some here have suggested and adding a bit of AP to both sides to allow them to afford FZs to accellerate trenching in limited areas (as opposed to having high fortress settings that cause fast trenching everywhere).

Post #: 23
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 9/1/2014 6:09:40 PM   
morvael

charlie0311: Not really. The bug helped to get Guards but only for Corps with attached Support Units. In 1941 the only Corps you have are the Cavalry Corps. You have to earn Guards Rifle Divisions the same way as before. And there was no change to the thresholds at which Guards status is granted.

Post #: 24
RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! - 9/1/2014 6:58:16 PM   
charlie0311

thx to all participants,

the brave new world awaits. No 1/1 bonus will really cool down the sov winter offensive and the fort changes will make it harder for the axis to resist this same offensive.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI