Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/27/2014 8:54:39 PM   
mensrea

Cap - The thing about the Imperials is that they aren't just normal militarists. Everywhere they go they demand all humans everywhere follow the Emporer and the Imperial Truth, which essentially outlaws all religion under threat of death. At best, I could see people saying "ahhh, those nutters, just forget them, they are half a galaxy away". At worst, well, just look back on human history whenever one group tries to tell another precisely what they can and cannot do. I did make the Interex and Auretians neutral to the Imperials, but the Diasporex where a multi-racial society and lived alongside alien allies - they are more like Star Trek humans. They naturally would be outraged by the Imperiums disregard for alien life. Perhaps I will make the Auretians (technocrats) favorable to the Imperials but aside from them, I can't think of any reason anyone would ever have anything but hate for them, especially non-humans whom they openly advocate committing genocide against.

Also, please keep in mind that the Imperials are balanced as being the race everyone hates, as are most main races. This is the reason they are significantly better than the minor ones.

Cyrtis - The Hrud were set as a beast race due to the fact that they were tribal and seemingly had no central leadership or civilization. In fact, they could shift themselves physically through the warp and didn't even need ships. I didn't take them out because I thought the presence of some races like that would make things a little more interesting.

Japhet - Sadly I cannot add new troop types, or even upgrade robot troops. That is just a modding limitation because I feel as you do on the matter, especially regarding titans. Can you tell me specifically what weapon it was? I'm thinking the shotgun one, as it creates multiple projectile graphics with each shot, so having tons of them would produce lag, likely. I will speed the projectiles up to see if that fixes it.

Swizzle - I will take care of that with the next update regarding the targeting thing. It will likely involve cutting robo legacies off from the simpler tracking components as I have already designated that component to be well past the end of the tech tree.

The exterminate bonus is capped, and even when I was writing the file I realized it wouldn't amount to much. All the points being brought up about Necrons make me wish I just had not added them. This game is just not suited to a nigh-unstoppable robotic force that doesn't breed, just wakes up. My only solution would be to reign in some of their bonuses to be more in line with other main races and give them a more reasonable reproduction rate. It will come across as no more ridiculous than it already is, what with Necrons taking vacations alongside humans and paying taxes, migrating, etc. I was hoping to make their navy the selling point but it seems I can't strike a balance between broke and spamming so many ships it lags the game out. At least the ones being made are as powerful as they should be. I might restore some of their maintenance reductions if they are that much of a financial bind.

Still, they should be giving you research bonuses as opposed to Orks, who are about as dumb as rocks. Too bad there can't be maluses from races. The Orks would just get sloshed on mushroom beer and have a good ol time by rampaging across worlds and killing everything not green, making for a race you really don't want to "integrate".

Given all the trouble with Necrons I don't think adding Tyranids is a good idea. I would probably just remove Necrons if it wasn't for the artwork put into them so I definitely don't want to encourage anyone to work on more Tyranid art. The whole inhuman monsters/killer robots thing just does not work in this game where every race is basically treated like normal folks. I added them against my better judgment and now I regret it, so I won't be doing it again.

Cyrtis - The Necrons do have defenders legacy, so they should have access to the cheaper versions of planetary shields. Not that that would help you if you were in a financial bind, though.

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 271
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/27/2014 11:14:16 PM   
mensrea

Sorry Cap, I missed that other post. Hydrogen and Uranium are both used, in large quantities, to build the reactor components themselves.

The way I look at it is to say that that the fuels are so efficient and the numbers we are dealing with represent such large quantities that what the component doesn't use is actually set aside in a strategic stockpile. That way, it could be used to refuel the ship at a later date and not require any further transactions due to the refueling entity being able to make a claim on an equal amount from the stockpile. That combined with ships probably not being around long enough to actually need significant fueling leaves just one thing a ship would need a lot of: propellent, and that is what the gas is for the most part. The ship is just loading up on something it can shoot out its back. Or, in the case of the plasma reactors burn along with the pre-supplied hydrogen, considering that theres a good chance most of the generic gas is hydrogen anyway.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 272
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/27/2014 11:55:18 PM   
swizzlewizzle

Mensrea, you shouldn't regret adding races. It's up to each player if they want to play with a particular race or not, and to be honest necrons and tyranids have some of the most flavor out of all the races. Plus, tyranid-like races are already in the game... highly reproducing insectoids namely so I don't think it's going to be much of a problem.

Do necron citizens themselves actually give more research/tax per citizen compared to an imperial/etc..? If so, the exterminate thing could work, just have the necrons with a slightly buffed "birth" rate and imagine they are directly using enslaved pirates/races/etc... to "birth" more necrons, albeit slowly. Plus, the current ship to income balance is great for the necrons. Sure, they are extremely powerful ship-ship, but in the late game things start to hurt them and their population really lags behind... it feels pretty good actually.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 273
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/28/2014 1:06:51 AM   
Cyrtis

Consistently getting CTD now, after any long game. Not sure why. Any chance someone could look at this save?
Oh how do I upload a save?

(in reply to swizzlewizzle)
Post #: 274
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/28/2014 1:54:28 AM   
mensrea

Those are several good points, Swizzle. I think I will add the bio tech line that I had planned to add before and give it to one or a few of the insect races, preserving the Tyranids until some point in the future. From what I have read and seen a races integration stat is determined by its main stats, so if it has low fleet maintenance bonuses it gets "good engineers" or something. The Necrons should be giving you good researchers or along those lines, though it will not be as much as it would be if you played as them.

What I will do is give them about 10% growth rate. Not much, but with the extermination bonus and the rare artifact bonus it will make them competitive breeding wise. I will bring their other stats in line with Imperials, Eldar and Orks though. There is a certain amount of points I give to all major and minor races. The difference is in how they are distributed and what other buffs they get, though in the case of the other buffs I typically take something away to add it to somewhere else. I deviated from that with the Necrons as I saw (rightfully) that the reproduction rate would hold them back a lot.

Cyrtis, I use dropbox. If it's CTD it might be out of memory. Is the game very large? Just to be sure though, is there anything happening out of the ordinary or does it seem to be triggered by something in particular?

The one thing about the Newcrons is that I can see how they could have a little leeway in how they deal with others. They are not just mindless servants anymore, apparently, so they could conceivably do stuff like protect or heavily depend on some other races, especially given the level of independence Tomb Lords now posses. EDIT: They could also masquerade as something other than what they are, and I seem to remember reading about Necrons who let themselves be worshipped as gods by more primitive races.

The Tyranids on the other hand are just animals and without the hivemind and various hive critters are literally wild beasts. One idea that comes to mind would be partially inspired by Blackstorks approach to things, and just give them hundreds of preset characters with appropriate bonuses rather than big general bonuses. I could also give them custom, unique techs that make their units very good in combat, but if you can't research them then they are not so useful.

Either way, I will probably advise people who depend heavily on immersion or the sanctity of lore to leave races like the Necrons and Tyranids turned off.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 8/28/2014 2:56:31 AM >

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 275
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/28/2014 2:18:24 AM   
Cyrtis

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxhr25b42hqk0gy/Delta%20Reticuli%20Patriarchy%202162-11-30.dwg?dl=0

Nothing unusual that I can tell. I have 14GB of Ram on an AMD 8350 processor (x64). So I don't know how I could be running out of memory. Also it's a small map.
Anyway this happened with my eldar games too. Just wait long enough, and eventually the game will become unplayable CTD.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 276
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/28/2014 9:18:08 AM   
Phocian

Congratulations your mod has been mentioned on Space Sectors review of Distant Worlds Unviverse!

A small point maybe the mod should be renamed Warhammer 30,000 as that is when it is set.
I´m looking forward to having the chance to play it, awesome work Mensrea.

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 277
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/28/2014 1:07:03 PM   
mensrea

Cyrtis - I didn't get a chance to look at the save yet but the game is 32 bit, meaning it is limited to about 4 gigs max, if it has large address awareness. If not I think a third party application like this http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ may work. But please, don't go getting that, I need to find out more about how much memory it potentially uses.

Can you tell me if it crashes in the exact same place or if it lets you play for a while longer then crashes? This used to happen to me a lot, both in vanilla and in the earlier modded versions, hasn't happened too often lately, though I did have a CTD last night on an extremely small map..loaded it up again and it worked fine.

Phocian - Nice to hear from you again, and thanks! I'd like to read the review; that sounds like a good sign. And yeah, I have been mulling that name change over. It does seem appropriate and it would clear up some of the confusion around the status of certain races. I just didn't want to confuse people as it's essentially set in the WH40k universe, sort of like how the Mandalorians are set in the Star Wars universe, just in its past. I guess the 40k bit calls for a different approach.

On another note, I think another factor in contributing to lag may be because of all races being very protective of their home worlds. They will all stack the majority of their fleet right on top of it. It makes it much more difficult to wipe the race out but they gain that advantage at the expense of not defending new colonies, and of course causing lag.

I think for the next update I will be taking multiple steps to reduce or eliminate some of these factors that contribute to this cold war ship buildup dilemma. This may mean cutting some fleet maintenance reductions as well as making AI less rational and defensive. I will probably release something this weekend with the behavior radically altered and if that's still not sufficient, start making cuts and putting strain on wallets.

I still notice that at least half of my ships in any given game are freighters. I really would like to do something about those things being so damn prolific but to figure out the effect of expanding cargo hold size would require a lot of science.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 8/28/2014 2:07:38 PM >

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 278
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/28/2014 4:51:10 PM   
SF-Inc

I really wish something could be done about the freighter logic in general. It gets very annoying having a planet in a resource shortage and having freighters show up with only 1-20 units in their cargo bays out of the thousands of capacity. Though I am pretty sure that logic is hard-coded into the engine sadly

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 279
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/28/2014 8:03:11 PM   
Japhet

quote:

Can you tell me specifically what weapon it was? I'm thinking the shotgun one, as it creates multiple projectile graphics with each shot, so having tons of them would produce lag, likely. I will speed the projectiles up to see if that fixes it.

Sadly, I don't know anymore which weapon it was, but the shotgun one makes the most sense. The combination with the pulsar weapons was probably to much for my old pc to handle.

Also, if you are not comfortable with adding the Tyranids, you could instead add the Zoats:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zoat#.U_-IvmPFLIU
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Zoat

A rather weak replacement to be honest and I think everybody would prefer the real Tyranids, but the Zoats would probably behave like a "normal" race.

Speaking of normal races, I just finished the Demiurg. These guys are basically a bunsh of technological advanced space dwarves:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Demiurg#.U_-_s2PFLIU
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Demiurg

I hope you include them or at least could make use of the ships.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 8/29/2014 12:53:09 AM >

(in reply to SF-Inc)
Post #: 280
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/29/2014 10:02:46 PM   
mensrea

Japhet - I will be adding the Tyranids, and I will be letting people know there are major issues with them, I just am more focused on more important things at the moment, like finishing the tech tree and general racial balancing/AI pathing.

Would there be a problem with making the Demiurg the Squats? I know I mentioned before that in-universe they "no longer exist", but I wouldn't mind adding an Abhuman empire, and of the 3 major types of Abhumans the squat seem the most likely to actually have a successful empire.

EDIT: I have also been experimenting with large address awareness. So far I have yet to see the game use more than 2 gb but I am playing on a smaller map, so it may take a while. I do think that a lot of lag comes from video card memory. Its evident in how much you lag when zoomed in as opposed to zoomed out. I'm thinking that might be a huge bottleneck and the cause of some of the CTD's. I do recall using that same program to give Dwarf Fortress large address awareness though, and it worked on that as well as many other known games. I would urge anyone who has had CTD's on very large games to go here and follow the instructions: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ . Use windows task managers performance monitor to see your memory usage and note if it goes up more or the out of memory errors/CTD's stop.

< Message edited by mensrea -- 8/29/2014 11:11:37 PM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 281
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/29/2014 10:28:14 PM   
Japhet

quote:

Would there be a problem with making the Demiurg the Squats? I know I mentioned before that in-universe they "no longer exist", but I wouldn't mind adding an Abhuman empire, and of the 3 major types of Abhumans the squat seem the most likely to actually have a successful empire.

I don't think so. I do prefer the Demiurg over the Squats, but there aren't much differences between them fluff-wise. The Squats were just more stereotypical dwarvish (I remeber a short story in the 2ed edition rule book where they had a party at a clan beer hall) and had also a little bit of a biker gimmick.

For unique Squat techs, I would simply use the same as the Demiurg: a special beam weapon (maybe based on a phaser), good Ion weapons and some good mining & trading techs.

Btw, do you think it's possible to include the Eldar webway in some way? Like a method of troop movement or immigration without the usage of transport ships? Oh, and I would give the Eldar some sort of special energy collector, just for the sake of the lore. I mean, their ships use sun sails. And maybe a unique area weapon to represent their D-weapon technology? Why yes, I'm an Eldar fanboy, why do you ask?

I finally finished the work on the race packs and combined them into one:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/kTqscXTfce/WH_40K_pack.html
Besides of updated and more complete UIs for all races, it contains an additional shipset for the Orks, images for wonders & facilities and also the raw images of all suitable 40K ships and troops I managed to find on the internet. Just in case somebody else wants to tinker with them. I don't think I will do more stuff in the near future, I 'm a little bit burned out and I don't think I could do more with my limited paint.net skills.

However, I have one thing left to give: Some random ship sets that could be used for some of the "lesser" races. One of them is very...recognizable and I only added it as a joke, but it would be funny to see these ships in the 40K galaxy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japhet -- 9/3/2014 5:40:47 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 282
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/30/2014 2:03:29 AM   
mensrea

The Demiurg will be getting the traders legacy and I will be adding a miners legacy as well.

The Eldar Webway is already in there as a fuel generator. Eldar ships basically never have to refuel. I can't add things that teleport troops or civilians. They do have access to the best engines already which are classified as exotic to cover a wide range of modes of locomotion. In general area weapons are really bad to give to the AI and I will be removing all of them from preferences. They don't use them correctly and usually just harm their own ships.

That website is asking for my facebook or twitter account before I download stuff. Is there anyway you could just post that on here, email me it at mensreamc@gmail.com or post it on a site like dropbox that doesn't ask for personal info? Sorry to be a pain in the ass.

I completely understand about being burned out. I'm getting a little sick of working on techs myself and am not looking forward to AI research pathing at all.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 283
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/30/2014 5:27:39 PM   
Phocian

Hey Mensrea,
Are Imperials not meant to have armoured Ground Assault, in my game this whole line of research is unavailable?
It says "Not available to Imperial,Mechanoid and Shakuri".

< Message edited by Phocian -- 8/30/2014 6:31:23 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 284
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/30/2014 7:57:21 PM   
mensrea

Yeah phocian, that's intentional. The armored forces are replaced by the astartes for those factions. Sadly, I don't have the capability to add a new type of troops.

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 285
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 8/30/2014 8:41:34 PM   
Phocian

Loving your mod Mensrea, last time I played I rolled the galaxy as imperials.
Now I'm having to work in taking home worlds so much I'm just nuking them from orbit.
A question, I'm playing with the Hersey option and I have met loyalists?
Also have you made a Hersey map?

Many questions but having lots of fun.

All the best,

Phocian

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 286
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/1/2014 2:17:15 AM   
Cyrtis

I gotta say, I'm just LOVING the eldar love fest. I mean everyone loves those wacky guys. I've got orks living with imperials and Laer. And everyone is just HAVING A BALL!

They're the feel good hippies of the new 30th millennium, with their ultraliberal Unification government, giant hybrid spacecraft that don't use any fuel. And how they know where the ancient leprechauns stashed all their goodies. It's hella sweet!

Funny thing is, my SP keep building with naught but pointy D. And all these gas mines my private sector keeps building are just wrecking the environment.
And why are my spies are absolutely OBSESSED with stealing operational maps, when there's perfectly good tech to be stolen? I mean, for being so "smart", the eldar are pretty daft.

< Message edited by Cyrtis -- 9/1/2014 3:26:07 AM >

(in reply to Phocian)
Post #: 287
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/1/2014 6:22:12 AM   
Capshades

Hahahaha, that's awesome. I'm going to play Eldar now.

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 288
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/1/2014 5:21:34 PM   
mensrea

Phocian - The Loyalists overlap the Shakturi. It's the only arrangement I could manage to work out short of doing the scenario, which I'm not doing until the mods basically done, as I would have to completely redo the scenario with updates.

Cyrtis - I was taking a break from modding this weekend to engage in Labor Day Festivities, but since you seem so exuberant (and there is nothing I like squashing more than exuberance, except maybe the naive worldviews of academics) I am attaching the "reworked" Eldar policy files. "Reworked" because I changed about five figures. Now they should be right and proper xenophobes who could even make Tony Abbot blush. Just drop the attached in the WH40K policy files. They still need Hydrogen and other gasses though, so they will always need gas mines. I also am not sure what an SP is, or why it's D is pointy, but hey, no ones perfect.

Now get out there young man, and free the **** out of the galaxy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 289
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/1/2014 5:41:52 PM   
mensrea

Oh I forgot, the Eldar need a government type that actually reflects how they are ruled in the lore, so I set their government preference to Despotic, but please don't let that stop you from changing it at the beginning of a game or midway to whatever you'd like (sort of like how you can change policies at any time). Just place the attached into the WH40K race folder. Also, make sure you are using that large address awareness program ( http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ ) on your distant worlds.exe. You only need to do it once.

And now here is a picture of she-who-must-not-be-named, though I suspect posting it today will make Marx roll over in his grave and make Hoffa shift uneasily in his cement shoes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mensrea -- 9/1/2014 6:43:18 PM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 290
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/1/2014 10:07:48 PM   
Cyrtis

Point Defense. My starbases are only building point defense and no other weapons. I've got to manually design them, which is fine- I do it anyway, b/c of them building way too many tech labs. I do use the eldar weapon.

I am so not faithful to the lore. The truth is, I find DW pretty challenging. And I've always hoped for a kinder, gentler Eldar from 40k.

As an aside, I work with bipolar patients, and if I understand correctly, that is basically how the eldar emotions run. So yeah, I can understand the xenophobia of the imperials somewhat.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 291
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/2/2014 6:20:33 PM   
Japhet

quote:

That website is asking for my facebook or twitter account before I download stuff. Is there anyway you could just post that on here, email me it at mensreamc@gmail.com or post it on a site like dropbox that doesn't ask for personal info? Sorry to be a pain in the ass.

I would've uploaded it here, but for some reason, I was always getting error messages. And then my hard drive decided to die after for years of faithful servitude Thank god, I stored my important data external, but setting the pc the weay it was is always annoying.

quote:

Oh I forgot, the Eldar need a government type that actually reflects how they are ruled in the lore

Speaking of, have you considered adding unique goverments for the "important" races? Like "Hivemind" for the 'nids or "Waaagh!" for the Orks? For the Eldar, they seem to be fond of councils, so a seer council thing would be appropriate.

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 292
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/2/2014 9:01:03 PM   
mensrea

Cyrtis - Due to the Eldars extremely wide range of emotions I decided to make it so they can access pretty much anything, government wise. Policy wise, it's really all up to the player. I'm just trying to set up races according to rough categories and leaving it to the users to decide if they want to deviate from that design. The Eldar if anything strike me as extremely manipulative. For instance, I have read somewhere that they might be the ones behind the appearance of the Ethereals with the Tau. Other than that, yeah, I think bi-polar pretty much describes them.

I was experimenting with the idea of making starbases the tech centers as every race will always build them, but not necessarily the tech bases. It seems to be working out for the AI but as a player that will be a pain.

Japhet - From what I read of the Eldar they are despotic. They have a ruling class and unless you are part of that class you do not have a say in affairs. They rule with absolute authority under what amounts to fairly flimsy legitimacy. The Orks are basically anarchists (little a) seeing as they are essentially tribal and every tribe deals with things differently. They wouldn't even be a cohesive force without a warboss. Hivemind would just be a variation of the super government for good guys. The name evades me at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your hard-drive. I will drink one for all the hard drives that didn't make it.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 293
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/2/2014 10:32:26 PM   
Cyrtis

Mensrea- Thanks again for this awesome mod! Playing the Eldar true to form makes it much more challenging. I think I'll try them out this weekend, with your new update.

Regrettably, I haven't read the book on government that you referenced earlier in the thread, so I'm sorry for an ignorant question, but what exactly is a unification government? I'm imagining a single-party, direct-voting system, with a major emphasis on cultural homogenization- but maybe I'm way off.

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 294
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/3/2014 5:19:16 PM   
Japhet

So, I said I wouldn't make a new race pack, but to my own surprise the Vespids worked out quite ok. The pack is not complete, I haven't found a good ship set (the one in the pack is the gizurean one as these races are basicaly the same) and the ui icons for fleets feature demiurg ships, but it should suffice.

I've also updated the combined pack. It now contains the Vespids and some new ship images that could prove usefull for the mod.
http://www.4shared.com/zip/kTqscXTfce/WH_40K_pack.html

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 295
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/3/2014 6:27:53 PM   
mensrea

Thanks Japhet, its looking like we will have a fair amount of original content ship image wise.

Cyrtis, glad you are liking the Eldar with those changes. Please let me know if you notice any performance improvements from LAA.

Unification governments were not described in that book. The book mostly deals with the fundamental differences between totalitarian, authoritarian and liberal governments. The unification government is something I had read about in some futurists book, though he didn't specifically name it. He describes his theories on what the next hundred or so years will have in store for humanity. Basically, it talks about colonizing asteroids and the solar system and how cultures and governments will change to suit current events. He describes a computer aided system of government that removes humans from the decision making process but does not grant power to a thinking machine. Instead all labor allocations and laws are decided according to open source software which can then monitor any number of variables and make informed decisions regarding who should do what and when. Neither machines or humans are really in control, but rather a very flexible and open system that is implemented with the aid of computers due to the enormous amount of data that would need to be processed. The closest description to anything we know of would be to say that it is true communism aided by sophisticated IT. I classified it as a liberal government type because everyone gets a say in affairs and the most logical and fair choice is selected from all input.

Democratic governments on the other hand rule by the opinion of the majority, which can be tyrannical in its own right. Republican governments rule by proxy, the people elect representatives to make decisions for them.

Neuristic government is also something I concocted, though it has a strong foundation in the Deus Ex series of games. It involves seeding a population with nanites that can then communicate with a central AI. It would be a perfect democracy in theory and require very little effort to participate in as thoughts could be communicated directly to the AI without words or deliberately constructed false beliefs to muddy the process up. In cases of law the AI could make infinitely better choices than any organic due to both its omniscience and its ability to quickly process very complex cases that in our society are usually just handled arbitrarily. This is one of the "super governments", and I included it in the liberal category. Though many would argue that its invasiveness would make it seem totalitarian or authoritarian, it does not meet the criteria for either; people still have a say in what they want, or rather the AI will know what they really want, and not just what they say they want.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 296
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/3/2014 9:58:36 PM   
Cyrtis

Neurotic govs sound very much like Democratic Anarchists in Revelation Space.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factions_in_Revelation_Space#Demarchists

< Message edited by Cyrtis -- 9/4/2014 12:49:16 AM >

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 297
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/3/2014 10:33:12 PM   
Japhet

Just finished a game as Eldar. Had a lot of fun dominating Hrud, Interex, Diasporex and Auretians with just nine capitalships

But I noticed that the troop images for the Eldar are wrong. They just used vanilla DW images

(in reply to Cyrtis)
Post #: 298
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/4/2014 1:12:10 AM   
mensrea

Cyrtis, just read that article and yes, there are a lot of similarities. That sounds like a really interesting book too, I may wind up picking it up.

Japhet - Just 9?? HOW? I legit do not understand how you did that unless it was part of some carefully orchestrated blitz. Even then, how did you defend your systems?
Are you sure you copied everything correctly? I just double checked and the Eldar troops are properly named and the race file is referencing the correct troop images.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 299
RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod - 9/4/2014 8:52:18 AM   
EbolaFever

I'am trying to change theme, but end up with this error message.

Could not read Type at line 174 of file C:\...\Customization\WH40K\components.txt

Running Distant world: Universe.
What am I doing wrong?

(in reply to mensrea)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI