Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 9:38:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I agree with the skill part. And it might be to late to pick players suited for it and to train it.

But do remember Euro 2004. Why should not England be able to do this as well...

warspite1

Maybe they could - but I think the circumstances have to be just right - its not often a team that plays like that wins - otherwise everyone would do it. Who did Greece beat to win the tournament? No Germany, no Holland, no Italy. They drew with Spain (before they came good) and beat all the traditional "bottle merchants" Portugal (froze at home), France, Czech Republic. I suspect all three probably underestimated the Greeks too - probably thought they had as good as won their matches before they kicked a ball.

If we did try we would need to be able to score during the match as we wouldn't win any penalty shoot-outs!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/29/2014 10:50:27 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1561
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 6:26:09 PM   
Orm

I think that England need to bunker down and have a underdog mentality in order to have success in the coming tournament. You have the entire world to fight and so on. If the English players, people and press can have that attitude then I think you can beat every team that is out there.

But, I suspect, that as usual the press will soon begin to write that England has the best team ever and that no other team are a match for them.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1562
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 6:35:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I think that England need to bunker down and have a underdog mentality in order to have success in the coming tournament. You have the entire world to fight and so on. If the English players, people and press can have that attitude then I think you can beat every team that is out there.

But, I suspect, that as usual the press will soon begin to write that England has the best team ever and that no other team are a match for them.
warspite1

I am very pleased to say that that kind of stoopid talk stopped many years ago The press do not generally report like that anymore.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1563
RE: European Championships - 5/29/2014 10:14:09 PM   
british exil

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I am very pleased to say that that kind of stoopid talk stopped many years ago The press do not generally report like that anymore.

What! Wait! Are you trying to tell me England don't have the best team?? I don't think I can take another defeat in a World Cup campaign. I could if I wanted change my nationality to German, I've been living here long enough and speak the language. But I don't think I'll stoop that low.

Mat

< Message edited by british exil -- 5/29/2014 11:15:18 PM >

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1564
RE: European Championships - 5/30/2014 12:45:42 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I've heard rumours to this effect but every time our media reports about your media just before England plays a major football match it sounds like the "good" old days.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1565
RE: European Championships - 5/31/2014 1:16:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I've heard rumours to this effect but every time our media reports about your media just before England plays a major football match it sounds like the "good" old days.
Warspite1

England 3 - 0 Peru

Gotta say we must be among the favourites after that performance, we were brilliant, bring on Brazil

All seriousness though, I was really impressed with Adam Lallana - let's hope Pochettino can stop him from going to Liverpool and he can come to WHL

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1566
RE: European Championships - 6/1/2014 6:57:12 AM   
Orm

The Sunday Times has an article today where they claim they have documents that prove that bribes where paid in order to place the World Cup in Quatar. I think they say that the documents show that 3 million pounds in bribes were paid to get the tournament.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/1/2014 8:07:42 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1567
RE: European Championships - 6/1/2014 7:10:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

The Sunday Times has an article today where they claim they have documents that prove that bribes where paid in order to place the World Cup in Quatar. I think they say that the documents show that 3 million pounds in bribes were paid to get the tournament.
warspite1

I will leave it to the wonderful Iago to respond to that (less than earth shattering) news.... Take it away Iago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlhyX-4qKI

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/1/2014 8:12:39 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1568
RE: European Championships - 6/1/2014 7:29:14 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I will leave it to the wonderful Iago to respond to that (less than earth shattering) news.... Take it away Iago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlhyX-4qKI

But you are missing my point. To me it is a surprise that they have found proof of it. Or that is at least what they claim. I am sure that bribery has been legio in most big sports events. And accusations have been common. Proving it is new to me.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1569
RE: European Championships - 6/18/2014 1:35:22 PM   
warspite1

Premiership (and other leagues) fixtures out today!

Tottenham have a toughie on the opening day - away to West Ham United (who beat us three times last season)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1570
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2014 6:28:13 PM   
warspite1

The latest gossip?

Spurs are thinking of buying John O'Shea for £3m.......

What in the name of all that is holy is that all about? What is happening to Tottenham Hotspur? I feel the dark days of the 1990's coming back......

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1571
RE: European Championships - 6/19/2014 7:59:22 PM   
Orm

quote:

The latest gossip?

Spurs are thinking of buying John O'Shea for £3m.......

What in the name of all that is holy is that all about? What is happening to Tottenham Hotspur? I feel the dark days of the 1990's coming back......

The Spurs might need new management. I nominate Warspite1 as the new manager.

Edit: You can get almost the an complete squad for £3m in the Swedish top league.

< Message edited by Orm -- 6/19/2014 9:01:01 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1572
RE: European Championships - 8/7/2014 8:38:27 PM   
warspite1

What the hell has happened to Scottish football? So sad....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1573
RE: European Championships - 8/8/2014 6:44:51 AM   
warspite1

Orm - what happened to AIK?!?!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1574
RE: European Championships - 8/8/2014 5:06:11 PM   
Orm

quote:

The same thing that usually happens with AIK. Amateur behaviour from both staff and players.

Several of the best players were not available for this game. Two were sold, one injured and one suspended. Several more starting players are expected to leave shortly and no new starting players on the way in (yet). And a lot of matches in short time seem to have left several of the remaining players with less energy than normal. And it is not like AIK has a squad with lots of skilled players either. The replacements are mostly of the promising kind but not yet there.

Instead of playing with the tough veteran player the staff decided to play two junior midfielders with some technical skill but with almost no experience and weak in the physical game. Two mistakes by one of the junior players was punished by one goal each. The other junior player was replaced at half time and that should tell you how well he performed. After the two goals the match was over and the third goal just proved that AIK was rubbish.

I am also a bit annoyed that we enter the match with the attitude to play as we always plays. No matter that the squad is weaker than usual. No matter that we can play on the 1-1 score from the away match. No matter that the away team seems to like defending and counter striking. No matter that experience is very important in such games.

Bah! I can say more but I think you get the picture. Annoyed might best be the word to describe how I feel today. What annoys me, and my friend, most is that we both predicted what would happen. I am surprised that those who know so much more about football and manage teams at times looks like they know close to nothing about football.

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/8/2014 6:07:15 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1575
RE: European Championships - 8/8/2014 5:07:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

The same thing that usually happens with AIK. Amateur behaviour from both staff and players.

Several of the best players were not available for this game. Two were sold, one injured and one suspended. Several more starting players are expected to leave shortly and no new starting players on the way in (yet). And a lot of matches in short time seem to have left several of the remaining players with less energy than normal. And it is not like AIK has a squad with lots of skilled players either. The replacements are mostly of the promising kind but not yet there.

Instead of playing with the tough veteran player the staff decided to play two junior midfielders with some technical skill but with almost no experience and weak in the physical game. Two mistakes by one of the junior players was punished by one goal each. The other junior player was replaced at half time and that should tell you how well he performed. After the two goals the match was over and the third goal just proved that AIK was rubbish.

I am also a bit annoyed that we enter the match with the attitude to play as we always plays. No matter that the squad is weaker than usual. No matter that we can play on the 1-1 score from the away match. No matter that the away team seems to like defending and counter striking. No matter that experience is very important in such games.

Bah! I can say more but I think you get the picture. Annoyed might best be the word to describe how I feel today. What annoys me, and my friend, most is that we both predicted what would happen. I am surprised that those who know so much more about football and manage teams at times looks like they know close to nothing about football.

warspite1

Bummer Sorry to hear that mate....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1576
RE: European Championships - 8/8/2014 5:19:04 PM   
Orm

quote:

Bummer Sorry to hear that mate....

Thank you.

Would have been fun to have been knocked out by the Spurs instead. Maybe next year...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1577
RE: European Championships - 8/15/2014 3:40:02 AM   
warspite1

Tony Pulis gone! Two days before the new season kicks off! Palace, what have you done? Madness!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1578
RE: European Championships - 8/18/2014 6:20:58 PM   
warspite1

Sad indeed - another bit of my childhood passed on to the next world

James Alexander Gordon - LEGEND

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28844131

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1579
RE: European Championships - 8/26/2014 9:25:41 PM   
warspite1

I know Man Utd fielded a weakened team, but even so, they were RUBBISH! The were beaten 4-0 by MK Dons and it could have been 5 or 6. Wow....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1580
RE: European Championships - 8/30/2014 11:03:07 AM   
warspite1

Looking forward to the Burnley vs Manchester United game today

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1581
RE: European Championships - 9/3/2014 11:23:47 AM   
terje439

Seems Norway makes a record today

Lowest attendance for an ENgland match....EVER....

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1582
RE: European Championships - 9/3/2014 4:58:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

warspite1

Rest assured terje that its no reflection on our Norwegian neighbours, but everything to do with the fact that we had a rubbish World Cup, and supporters voting with their feet....

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1583
RE: European Championships - 9/3/2014 5:22:32 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Rest assured terje that its no reflection on our Norwegian neighbours, but everything to do with the fact that we had a rubbish World Cup, and supporters voting with their feet....

I rather think that the tickets are overpriced.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1584
RE: European Championships - 9/3/2014 5:26:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Ticket prices do not help of course, but the bigger issue is the dismal World Cup hangover.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1585
RE: European Championships - 9/3/2014 5:35:22 PM   
terje439

quote:

Yeah I know, but tbh it is very fitting for the Norwegian national team as well. They are rubbish, and have been the last decade...

What amazes me about England is that Rooney is elected captain. People may say what they want, but he just is not that good anymore, nor is he imo captain material. I think that was aporr choice, both including him in the team, and to chose him as a captain.

I think ENgland should have focused more on finding a new striker, preferably someone like Shearer, or if such a player cannot be found, a new Owen or Fowler.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1586
RE: European Championships - 9/3/2014 5:36:26 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Ticket prices do not help of course, but the bigger issue is the dismal World Cup hangover.

After the ticket prices I suspect that the prominent Premier League teams has so many international stars that do not play in the English national team has more effect than the World Cup result.

I am pretty sure that the Norwegians, as the Swedes, want to see their favourite players from their favourite Premier League team. And most of them are not in the English national team any longer. Gone are the day where all the Premier League stars played in the English National team. Well, except one, who played for Wales.

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/3/2014 6:37:14 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1587
RE: European Championships - 9/3/2014 5:48:58 PM   
terje439

quote:

I am pretty sure that the Norwegians, as the Swedes, want to see their favourite players from their favourite Premier League team. And most of them are not in the English national team any longer.

True, Cpt.Fantastic has retired from the national team

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1588
RE: European Championships - 9/4/2014 6:19:12 PM   
Orm

Zlatan just made his 50th goal for the Swedish national team and it was just the kind of goal that make me smile for minutes. Sheer poetry.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 1589
RE: European Championships - 9/5/2014 2:49:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Zlatan just made his 50th goal for the Swedish national team and it was just the kind of goal that make me smile for minutes. Sheer poetry.
warspite1

Glad to see someone has something to smile about with their national team

That's not too bad a qualifying group Sweden have there Orm. Should be no problem finishing in the top two?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1590
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI