Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EDITED DATA FILES

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy 2 >> Mods and Scenarios >> EDITED DATA FILES Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EDITED DATA FILES - 9/15/2014 6:46:57 AM   
Redmarkus5

VERSION 2

NOT FULLY TESTED - Please feel free to try it out and comment.

Put it in your game's 'Data' folder (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Battle Academy 2\Data) AFTER FIRST BACKING UP THE ORIGINAL.

I was experiencing a number of strange behaviors related to diagonal movement. (Perhaps a hex-based approach would help in BA3?). These are less obvious in the new version of the Terrain file.

This file edits the movement costs of certain terrain.

1. For example, infantry can now cross wire obstacles (slowly and at a high AP cost) because real infantry can do that. Done it many times myself!!! Also, half tracks can now do so as well.
2. Craters are now harder for infantry to cross than open ground - craters have sloping sides, after all. Infantry tend to run around them and not through them, unless directly ordered to, so watch out for those detours!
3. Likewise running through snow is slightly harder than running across open grassland... Wheeled vehicles will now struggle in snow conditions.
4. Mud was very easy to cross - it seemed to have almost no effect in the game. This has been changed!
5. Likewise Deep Snow. Even Ski troops will suffer a slight AP increase as deep snow affects skis as well...
6. Tracked can now cross ice (it could do so historically) but at a high cost. Infantry will find ice slippery and now pay a higher AP cost as well.
7. Wrecks slow movement more than before. Trucks cannot move through wrecks - more reason to clear them!
8. It now requires more AP for infantry to move through a building than through open ground - to represent the need to clear the floors above and check all the rooms... You don't just go rushing through a building in a combat zone.
9. Ditto forests - move costs are higher. Change of suffering losses when in a forest tile are slightly reduced, so they are better places to hide but harder to walk through.
10. Marsh now allows tracked movement but at a very high AP cost. It also provides more cover.
11. Deleted.
12. Roads and tracks allow faster movement than before. In vanilla the cost for walking across a field was the same as walking along a road. Not so in real life! Roads now offer a real avenue of advance.
13. Deleted.
14. High vegetation is harder to move through but offers better cover for moving units than before.
15. Raised ground is harder to climb.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 9/15/2014 7:53:34 AM >

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Post #: 1
EDITED DATA FILES - MAP VIEW - 9/15/2014 6:48:51 AM   
Redmarkus5

This file has been edited for those with larger screens. I have a 32'. It starts with a more distant zoom and allows you to zoom out even further. The angle of view is also slightly lowered (now set at 40 degrees instead of 45).

Put it in your game's 'Data' folder (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Battle Academy 2\Data) AFTER FIRST BACKING UP THE ORIGINAL.

Changing these settings is very easy. Just close the game and then open the file and edit the values, save and then start the game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 9/15/2014 7:55:32 AM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 2
RE: EDITED DATA FILES - MAP VIEW - 11/7/2014 6:05:16 AM   
VegasOZ

I just played out the first battle of a Barbarossa campaign using both the Terrain.txt and the MAPVIEW.txt files.

The game seems to run perfectly while using them.

I did notice the difference in Zoom levels at once and it is a nice improvement.

I also like and agree with the terrain movement costs. Especially the movement through buildings is much more authentic now.

Nice job to both of the Modders.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 3
RE: EDITED DATA FILES - MAP VIEW - 11/7/2014 4:31:11 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

While I appreciate that it's the only way to do global changes to the game design, we don't recommend changing the files in the install folder. It will almost certainly break/be broken by any patches, and you can fairly easily clone the campaigns and then make use of the altered data files in local versions (in My Documents/My Games/BA2/Campaigns or Multiplayer).

That way also means you can package them up and make them available for download via the ingame system too :)

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 4
RE: EDITED DATA FILES - MAP VIEW - 11/9/2014 6:24:30 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

While I appreciate that it's the only way to do global changes to the game design, we don't recommend changing the files in the install folder. It will almost certainly break/be broken by any patches, and you can fairly easily clone the campaigns and then make use of the altered data files in local versions (in My Documents/My Games/BA2/Campaigns or Multiplayer).

That way also means you can package them up and make them available for download via the ingame system too :)

Cheers

Pip

Thanks Pip. I've been away on business and haven't had time to play or play around with the system. Anyway, I was just trying out some ideas for improved realism. Hopefully they will give you some ideas too... :)

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 5
RE: EDITED DATA FILES - MAP VIEW - 8/23/2015 7:56:17 PM   
bobk

Redmarkus4,
Like your ideas and changes. I was wondering if the slower movement would make it harder to complete the battles, as they have time limits.

I would also like to see some changes to the combat system, as it seems to easy to surpress a unit, especially in cover, like houses. Mortars and rifles shouldn't do it, machine guns, and tank fire yes. I think occupied houses should have to be assaulted to capture. Also, suppressed troops should fire once at half strength or something when being assaulted.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy 2 >> Mods and Scenarios >> EDITED DATA FILES Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI