Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

One Planet Challenge (OPC)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> One Planet Challenge (OPC) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/5/2014 4:47:52 PM   
Cmiller

Okay, for any of you people who have played Civilization series I'm sure you have heard of the the One City Challenge. Well today, I am going to attempt something that, I personally, have never attempted before in Distant Worlds, and that is the One Planet Challenge. I'm only allowed One Planet, period. No invasion, no colonization, and no grabbing lost colonist either. If I'm given a colony ship through a random event, I'll scrap it towards research. Now, for the official rules of this game:

1.) Again, only One Planet
2.) I am not allowed to do troop invasions. So if I want to destroy an enemy planet I will have to either bombard the planet, or use planet destroyers.
3.) I must scrap any colony ships I obtain through random events.

Seems fair enough. Now for the game settings. They are as follows:
Irregular 400 stars Medium sized Galaxy
Pre-warp Expansion
Chaos Aggression, Extreme Difficulty, Very Expensive Research Costs
Difficulty Scales as player nears victory checked.
Many Space Creatures, Very Many Pirates, Strong Pirates, Nearby Distance.
Destroyed Pirates do not re-spawn checked (seriously, its hard enough as it )
Colony Prevalence Normal, Independent Life Normal, No Colonization range limits (unchecked)
Playing as Gizureans Hive Mind Goverment
Excellent Homeworld, Starting size, Prewarp Tech level, Normal Corruption
Playing with 8 auto-generated empires
All story events checked
Victory conditions 33%, race victory conditions enabled
Tech Trading allowed

I'm setting everything to the max here, and will be using IceMania's AI improvement mod. I had initially wanted to showcase his mod in a Youtube series, but didn't really feel like recording, so I'm doing a written AAR instead. I don't expect to last long in this since I'm still new to the Extreme difficulty, and having only one planet doesn't really make things any easier. However, I do expect it do be fun, because watching someone getting their ass kicked is just a enjoying thing to watch now isn't it . So I really do hope you enjoy this AAR. I'll have an update later this evening .

Cmiller

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/7/2014 4:42:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/7/2014 12:09:48 PM   
Icemania

Wow that will be interesting, great idea! You may want to check the Gizurean victory conditions allow you to win (this scenario might better suit a different race) and if not then see how long you can survive ...

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 2
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/7/2014 3:19:02 PM   
Cmiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

Wow that will be interesting, great idea! You may want to check the Gizurean victory conditions allow you to win (this scenario might better suit a different race) and if not then see how long you can survive ...

Yeah, I did look at the victory conditions, it seems I need 33% of all volcanic planets. Hmm, guess I'll need to bombard every volcanic colony I come across (when the time is right of course). I chose Gizureans for their fast population growth, which is helpful for getting my planet maxed out as early as possible. Anyway sorry for 2 days without update, stuff happens. But I here's a small update to get things started:

Right off the bat, I build a small space port, three research centers: Weapons, HighTech, and Energy. I set research to Armor, Shields, and Transport Systems. And start the construction of 2 explorers and construction ships. I also set tax rates to 0% for fast population growth. Also, here is a peek at my planet that will stick with me for the rest of the game. Its not to shabby if I do say so myself:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/9/2014 8:00:29 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 3
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/7/2014 3:21:23 PM   
Cmiller

Also, I was lucky enough to start out with an abandoned small space port in an icy asteroid field as well. Something I can take advantage of in the future:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/7/2014 4:21:40 PM >

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 4
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/7/2014 3:24:48 PM   
Cmiller

And this my position in the local galaxy. The nearest stars are a bit farther away, so I should be "moderately" safe from pirates, maybe. I'm not expecting that to cover me for long though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/7/2014 4:32:48 PM >

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 5
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/7/2014 3:29:13 PM   
Cmiller

So, after a bit of exploration of the ruins nearby, I manage to find Entertainment centers. And the planet has a nice stash of Aculon in it as well. Well, it wasn't too long until I came across Tuderom Exports. I end up paying for their "protection" to avoid any problems. This ultimately puts me at -10000/credits cashflow. They didn't know any other empires as of right now, so I'll just leave these guys alone for now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/7/2014 4:36:32 PM >

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 6
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/9/2014 12:08:12 PM   
Icemania

Keep it rolling Cmiller, interested in seeing what happens ...

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 7
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/9/2014 6:47:32 PM   
Cmiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

Keep it rolling Cmiller, interested in seeing what happens ...

I'm trying . College has kept me quite busy as of late, but I'll try to make it a goal to have at least 2 updates a week. Speaking of which here is one now:

So after the pirates leave my system my next construction ship finishes building. I send it off to build a gas mining station at the nearest source of Caslon in my system, while my planet "Gizura Hive" reaches 6 billion people at a 22% growth rate (gotta love those Gizureans ). Research is coming slow, but steady. And I continue to lose money.

Then I found the abandoned frigate (which I promptly retire for the research bonus), and discover a new scientist who is Demoralizing! Good news though, he's also creative, so its worth keeping ) I will place Wek Noskri (the scientist) in my space port once it is finished upgrading to medium.

01/16/2102 - Mining station construction at Tudereom 3 (73% Aculon, 80% Osalia, 45% Otandium Opal)
03/09/2102 - Critical Research Breakthrough for Shields

And at the end of June I find the Warp Field Bubble ruin. As soon as I discover the appropriate techs (that would be Enhanced Construction and Advanced Nuclear Fission), I'll start the research the project. Well, that's all I have time for today. It stinks when you can't have fun all day anymore like you used to when you were a teenager, but i guess that's the growing up process. See you in the next update

Cmiller

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/9/2014 7:51:38 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 8
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/10/2014 11:31:33 AM   
Icemania

Nice Cmiller, the occasion update is cool.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmiller
It stinks when you can't have fun all day anymore like you used to when you were a teenager, but i guess that's the growing up process. See you in the next update

Wait until kids come along, your employer demands 24 x 7 support and the Mrs demands that you watch Real Housewives together.

The balance only gets harder, 4X gaming is part of my recovery plan!

(in reply to Cmiller)
Post #: 9
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/16/2014 6:16:00 AM   
CaptainBipto1

Interesting challenge. I played civ master of mana mod often with occ:)

Real downside will be the "planet" size . So Aurora lets you build orbital has modules :p....

I'd be curious about a one system challenge too. Maybe I'll try this for humies.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 10
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/21/2014 3:33:29 AM   
Cmiller

Hi everyone! I'm back with another update, sorry it took me so long, been busy with exams.

So the abandoned frigate finally comes home to be scrapped, and I get a tiny boost of improved logistics research. I also decided to retrofit my space port up to a medium effectively increasing research production. My small spaceport wasn't producing anything with no labs, so this was something that had to be done asap. I also talked to my good buddies of Tudereom Exports if they knew anything of other empires. Of course they didn't, but I didn't feel like buy nothing, so I went and purchased the map of a nearby star (2000 credits). It is Mytos in E4 sector, they didn't give any knowledge of its resources though, but I'll provide a screenshot below anyway. The pirates are pleased (+13) with me, so I'm not complaining too much. Though their protection is rather a thorn in my behind. I'll have to come up with new ways to "pay" them soon.

Anyway, by the end of year 2103 my research team finally discovers sheilds, so I make preparations to design and retrofit my bases accordingly. I'm 46% done with both Armor and Transport System. I'm not entirely sure why my Energy Tree is so far ahead, but I I don't take much concern over it. And then it wasn't too long after when my space port was further upgraded to Large. It does of course provide series maintenance strains on my income. It was then at around this point, I decided it was time to send an explorer towards the Fugitives Nest that has been sitting in our outer asteroid belt for who knows how many millennia. I wonder what they'll find? Until next time...

Cmiller

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/21/2014 4:33:54 AM >

(in reply to CaptainBipto1)
Post #: 11
RE: One Planet Challenge (OPC) - 9/21/2014 3:39:52 AM   
Cmiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptainBipto1

Interesting challenge. I played civ master of mana mod often with occ:)

Real downside will be the "planet" size . So Aurora lets you build orbital has modules :p....

I'd be curious about a one system challenge too. Maybe I'll try this for humies.

Its pretty fun, you should definitely try it. I haven't tried many mods for Civ IV, the only one being Extra Mod. It combines a bunch of older civ game's buildings and leaders, plus a lot of units, leaders, and wonders from multiple other mods. It even adds 5 extra religions .

Well anyway, thanks for responding to my AAR, I hope you continue to read and enjoy.

EDIT: Okay, I looked at the homepage for master of mana mod, and it looks very interesting. I'll definitely give it a try when I get a chance.

< Message edited by Cmiller -- 9/21/2014 9:50:18 PM >

(in reply to CaptainBipto1)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> One Planet Challenge (OPC) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI