Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ambush Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ambush Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ambush Question - 3/26/2001 6:30:00 PM   
Norm

I've got a quick question about ambushes. My friend and I do LAN games quite often and found that fast units like Halftracks and Jeeps can speed through a (or more) ambushes without noticing. An example would be yesterdays game. I was playing the German side and had Ski Infantry hidden in the woods to the left and right side of a road :D. The had no supression and the visability was good. The Russian halftrack was able to drive right past the two setups without as much as a hickup :eek:. The track didn't see the Infantry, but I saw the halftrack before its move. Does this have a higher reason I'm not understanding? :confused: --Norm

Post #: 1
- 3/26/2001 7:29:00 PM   
Resisti

If i got it right,you're wondering how can be that the halftrack missed to see the two inf.squads even when at blank point. Well this can be oftenly the case and not only with halftracks,if the squads you are mentioning were in a COVER status and/or the halftrack were not FACING in their direction. It can also happen to be FIRED at from a squad or MG or something else which is in a cover status and still not beeing able to see what the hell fired at you ! (of course if it's firing at blank point,in this case you would probably see it...).

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Norm)
Post #: 2
- 3/26/2001 9:05:00 PM   
Tommy

Resisti, I think his point was that the enemy sped right through his ambush and he never got a chance to fire at them. There was no Op fire chance. Is that it Norm? I have seen this happen sometimes, but usually the ambusher attacks (assaults) the target. Maybe that was because the target saw the ambusher at the last second and stopped moving. Tommy
quote:

Originally posted by Norm: I've got a quick question about ambushes. My friend and I do LAN games quite often and found that fast units like Halftracks and Jeeps can speed through a (or more) ambushes without noticing. An example would be yesterdays game. I was playing the German side and had Ski Infantry hidden in the woods to the left and right side of a road :D. The had no supression and the visability was good. The Russian halftrack was able to drive right past the two setups without as much as a hickup :eek:. The track didn't see the Infantry, but I saw the halftrack before its move. Does this have a higher reason I'm not understanding? :confused: --Norm

(in reply to Norm)
Post #: 3
- 3/26/2001 10:09:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

This is the infamous "drive by" bug and has been fixed in v5. Tom has tightened up a lot of the internet code, but becasue of iherant problems of latency, there will ocasionally be occarances where the two machines 'get out of synch" and you see a unit retreat, warp back and retreat again to a different hex, or 3 casualties suddenly change to 2, or a dead unit "comeback to life". This is a problem withthe original SP3 online "peer to peer" implementation and should be viewed as a bit of "Fog of war" as changing the internet architecture is required to fix it. We will be using a more robust architecture in our future Games like Battleline and Combat Leader.

(in reply to Norm)
Post #: 4
- 3/27/2001 7:29:00 PM   
Norm

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: This is the infamous "drive by" bug and has been fixed in v5.
Thanks all for responding. It looks like it was the drive by bug. Glad it'll be adressed in the next version. Along with the other new items v5 will be quite a treat I suspect :cool: --Norm

(in reply to Norm)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ambush Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI