Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:40:42 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

My first computer...

I still have one. It sits over my desktop with the note "in case of power failure".

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 61
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:42:21 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

Ahhh - but you forgot the zero - 0. You can't have one without the other.

(Damn but that was a beautiful line )

Actually you could.....and did. Western Europeans didn't have zero till the high middle ages , when they imported it from the moors.

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 62
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:43:19 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You're ancient. I started with Fortran and stacks of punch cards five inches thick to simulate a game of tic-tac-toe.

Punch cards? I had paper tape!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 63
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:44:37 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

I didn't know you went back to the Stone Age. I thought you were from the Dirt Age.

Say's the guy who's a runt dinosaur!

Post #: 64
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:47:15 PM   
AW1Steve

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XTMJMB4CL._SY355_.jpg Perhaps this might suit some players? Seriously , it's ok to vent , we've all screwed up , but do you really want to quit this game? Do you want to admit you were beaten by a player that can only count to one? (one's and zero's).

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 65
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:49:44 PM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

You're ancient. I started with Fortran and stacks of punch cards five inches thick to simulate a game of tic-tac-toe.

I used paper tape!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 66
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:50:41 PM   
nashvillen

I also did programming in Hexadecimal.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 67
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 3:57:52 PM   
geofflambert

I'm all digital. I can count to ten. Then I get stuck.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 68
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 4:32:14 PM   
witpqs

The first computer that I worked on was a Spectra 70/60.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Spectra_70#Model_70.2F60

This photo is of a different Spectra 70 model and only shows a tiny bit of the processor (let alone many of the peripherals).

Post #: 69
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 4:45:16 PM   
KenchiSulla

This was a perfectly good whine thread... Just came home from work, checked this thread immediately and you are now discussing computers that Alexander the Great used to do his administration on...

No fun....

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 70
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 5:08:21 PM   
crsutton

My first computer. And, a pretty damn good one at that.

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 71
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 6:50:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Well, you've got 6 fingers on your left hand, 7 on your right...why stop at 10?

Post #: 72
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 6:52:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Paper tape. Hmmph. Noob. We used tanned leather pelts.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 73
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 7:22:42 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Paper tape. Hmmph. Noob. We used tanned leather pelts.

And water power in stead of steam or electricity.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 74
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 7:25:25 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:19:51 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 75
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 7:25:48 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

This was a perfectly good whine thread... Just came home from work, checked this thread immediately and you are now discussing computers that Alexander the Great used to do his administration on...

No fun....

Actually ,it's everyone trying to show how old (and therefore wise) but unfortunately these punks can't imagine that there was life before computers. I'm tempted to really freak them out and tell them about phone that had wires coming out of them. Or that my 1st digital electronic calculator (1975) cost over $100 and was the size of a box of cigars.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 76
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 7:40:38 PM   
Symon

quote:

Ok. Lots of people pretend to know about the old days. This is a test. They weren't stacks, they were called decks. Why? There was a specific machine that made them, What was it called? There was a container that people carried, that identified them as geeks. What was it? What color was it? And then, once upon a time, in a place far away, you could hook up with the Dartmouth computer center using a Beehive. What was that? And how was it different? And how could you whack your Phys Prof to give you a cookie?

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 77
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 7:54:27 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

Ok. Lots of people pretend to know about the old days. This is a test. They weren't stacks, they were called decks. Why? There was a specific machine that made them, What was it called? There was a container that people carried, that identified them as geeks. What was it? What color was it? And then, once upon a time, in a place far away, you could hook up with the Dartmouth computer center using a Beehive. What was that? And how was it different? And how could you whack your Phys Prof to give you a cookie?

I'll take my shot with what I think you want. They were called Decc-tapes" , made by the DECC company. They were magnetic tapes. You didn't have a main frame (at least my school didn't) , but you used a teletype to connect via phone to Dartmouth (where the main frame was). I never carried any carrier , but DECC tapes came in a metal can that looked something like a movie reel can. I seem to recall blue on stainless was it's color , but that was in the early 70's and my memory's not so good. I never took Physics , but my math teacher would give some of the "computer gang" (this was pre-geek or nerd) a paper copy of "Moonlander" to play if they did well.

Sorry , but that's all my decrepit memory can recall.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 78
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 7:59:19 PM   
AW1Steve

OK, I'm an idiot. I just looked it up. It wasn't a DECC tape. It was a DEC tape. Because it was made by Digital. OOPS!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 79
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 9:42:33 PM   
Big B

Good questions... I have worked in a data center since 1983, I'm trying to remember the older machines we had.
The punch cards were made from old IBM machines ... but I forgot the model name. The department that inputted the data physically on blank cards was called 'Key Punch' (duh).
Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) made mid-range systems beck then called VAX (I don't think they made mainframes...we didn't have any at least), but they didn't read cards - they read tapes.

I don't remember the rest of that Symon

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 80
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 9:56:36 PM   
Spidery

A keypunch was the thing used to punch a card, except that where I worked you sent a coding sheet (must be written in green) to the operators who sent you back two sets of cards. Then there was a manual device you could use to make changes or punch a new card by knowing the appropriate coding.

I guess the term "deck" comes from the original use as Hollerith cards to drive looms with each deck being like a stacked deck of cards used for a single setting of the loom.

From recollection, for small programs we used an elastic band; for larger programs the cardboard boxes in which the cards were originally delivered. If there was some special box that should have been used, I doubt the Government would buy it.

To add fun to life, the keypunches used were IBM make and the cards ended up slightly curved. The card reader was an ICL make and needed straight cards, so first you had to carefully flatten the cards.

Paper tape was more fun to work with because you edited it by splicing sections of tape together.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 81
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 10:12:40 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

Now that is just plain old "crazy talk." You are not the only one who watched Dr. Who..

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 82
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 10:17:51 PM   
crsutton

My mother's first job in the industry was as a keypunch operator. She use to bring the discarded cards home for me to build things with. She went back to school and got her master's in Computer Science. Her original degree was in Civil Engineering but nobody was going to hire a woman in that field in the early 1960's. The computer industry being nascent did not carry the same old boy biases and was fairly open to the few women in the field.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 83
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 10:38:01 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Well, you've got 6 fingers on your left hand, 7 on your right...why stop at 10?

They are offended at being called fingers, they are claws.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 84
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 10:58:15 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

I was in High School at the time. I think the thing I typed on was a sickly yellow ochre. I think it was called a compiler. No, that was what I put the "deck" of cards into. It went pthpthpthppthp etc. real fast like the actor from "The Man from Uncle" shuffling playing cards. You know, the guy playing Napoleon Solo. As I remember the punch machine had a Qwerty keyboard so I didn't have to look at it when I was typing (I got up to 120wpm on a Selectrix by the way). The equipment was all at UMSL so I had to drive there to do a job. UMSL = University of Missouri at St. Louis. I can't remember what the punch thing was called. Also I had a circular slide rule (I still have it). The compiler wasn't the thing that I fed the cards into (there was a stainless steel thing you put on top of the stack), that was just the reader; I think the compiler was a module that was about 6' high that the reader fed the info into. I've had too much beer and wine since then to remember much more. I think I learned a little COBOL but never used it. I taught myself BASIC on my first PC, namely a 64k IBM PC that I got as soon as they came out. No Apple. I had a TI-99-4a as well and a Commodore console that I could hook up to my TV set. In '76 I got a TI scientific calculator but not the kind that would accept software from something you could plug into it, I forget. Someone in my frat was making money creating programs for those. Missouri School of Mines, then known as UM Rolla.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 85
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 11:00:54 PM   
geofflambert

I got unstuck in time there, I got the PC in '83? I think.

Post #: 86
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 11:02:05 PM   
geofflambert

Never hooked up with Dartmouth. I'm sure she was a honey.

Post #: 87
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 11:06:02 PM   
geofflambert

I can't remember what was plugged into those calculators. There was some kind of little hopper you plugged in (I think) then you put the media in that (a little disc? I can't remember).

Post #: 88
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 11:09:09 PM   
geofflambert

Don't remember the container. Why deck? Is it because they had to be in order (which they did)? I think the punch thing was in a different room but nearby the reader and I don't remember needing a container. In fact I know for sure. We put rubber bands around the "decks".

Post #: 89
RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. - 10/21/2014 11:10:55 PM   
geofflambert

Oh, a beehive is what Marge Simpson's hairstyle is called.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: I'm done with this ridiculous time vampire of a game. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI