Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/11/2014 7:38:35 PM   
Tac2i

I can't say that background pattern looks good to me. Perhaps a translucent flag or something like that. That set for four squares is distracting to me.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 31
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/11/2014 7:44:32 PM   
GaryChildress

I actually had a translucent flag set up (see below) but the problem with that is that units like Paratroopers don't have nation specific icons. If I did a flag for paratroopers, the flag would need to be a "one size fits all" deal.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 32
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/11/2014 7:50:30 PM   
GaryChildress

The advantage of the checkerboard background is that it is less distracting than the countryside or city scape backgrounds. My units really begin to lose their effect when they are set against "busy" backgrounds. The checkerboard is probably the least busy, unless I just do a simple white background that picks up the different colors (like what is pictured below).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 33
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/11/2014 8:05:53 PM   
GaryChildress

Or...how about a checkerboard background that is a little more "subdued" in the difference between the tones (like the one below)? A single color background seems a little too simplistic and a multi color one would probably be even more distracting...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 34
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 1:00:51 AM   
Tac2i

Subdued looks better to me. I kinda like that in standard ATG the terrain background shows but I understand that may hinder the aesthetic view your models.

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

Post #: 35
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 6:18:53 AM   
Ormand

I like this leader better myself. To tell the truth, I myself prefer the transparent background with the terrain showing. Although, I can see an argument for the background. One thing to think of is if you are also thinking of vehicles, and how to make it look more integrated. (removed a comment on shadows that wasn't pertinent).

As for putting them in. I have integrated your images into my Divisions and Regiments files. And I started working on the generic.at2 file. One question is to use these as an overlay or the primary image. For Divisions and Regiments I made it primary, and then thought of using it as an overlay in generic (you could then put in a background image in the primary, although it is a lot of work). The weakness of using it as an overlay is that the name is not visible in the box (only the primary is). I should have this done tomorrow, and it will have to be checked for errors. It is actually infinitely easier to put them into say Rifle I, copy this SFT three times, rename them to Rifle II, III, IV. Copy the stats of Rifle II, III, and IV into them, move them up the list, and delete the previous SFTs. But, this also requires a few fixes, like the upgrade, items, and research. I know it sound complicated, but it is faster than changing two images for each People four times. One the generic.at2 file is done, then I can port this into anewdawn.at2 and anewdawn2.at2. The import will overwrite common data in the other files. I am assuming that you are using Webizen's NATO counters that overwrite the ATG counters (again maintenance is much easier).

< Message edited by Ormand -- 11/12/2014 7:20:28 AM >

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 36
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 3:33:51 PM   
GaryChildress

Hi Ormand, Thank you. Yes, I'm using the Nato counters. I guess I'll just do the PNG images and let you do what you think is best for backgrounds since it's your mod. I'll post my work to this thread and anyone is welcome to use my graphics in any way they want. So if someone doesn't like the backgrounds you decide on, then they can always make whatever they want instead.

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 37
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 3:43:40 PM   
GaryChildress

BTW, just FYI, I'm working on some matching graphics for other units in the game (all using 3D virtual models of course). Here is a preview of what I hope will be things to come:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 4:19:43 PM   
Vic

Nice work Gary. I am following this thread with interest :)

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Post #: 39
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 5:08:09 PM   
GaryChildress

Thank you Vic! This is such a great (and extremely versatile) game. I just bought it and am already enamored with it. Can't wait for the Platinum edition to come out! For the platinum edition my personal hope is for more Regime options for random games.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 40
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 5:41:36 PM   
GaryChildress

STAFF PACK II: Files attached

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 11/13/2014 8:53:26 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 5:42:52 PM   
GaryChildress

And here are the previews for the files attached above.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 42
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 6:50:12 PM   
Ormand

Two comments. For the American leader, I would put a helmet on him. Generally speaking, US officers wore helmets in the field, including the generals.

For the vehicles, I would prefer a view that is more coming at you. So, tilted up more. That is just a preference.

I'll finish up more insertions tonight.

Post #: 43
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/12/2014 7:31:56 PM   
Tac2i

Could you make the German staff image look similar to this, especially the cap. Alternatively, put a helmet on him or a cap similar to the Soviet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 11/12/2014 8:42:54 PM >

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 44
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 12:07:13 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ormand

Two comments. For the American leader, I would put a helmet on him. Generally speaking, US officers wore helmets in the field, including the generals.

For the vehicles, I would prefer a view that is more coming at you. So, tilted up more. That is just a preference.

I'll finish up more insertions tonight.

Sure, I'll put a helmet on the US officer. I'll probably attach him as an addendum in a later post, though. I don't want to redo the pack I've already put up.

The vehicles; I'll try doing them both ways, one coming straight on and one at a bit more top-down angle. The thing I don't like about the "head on" angle is that it hides a lot of detail, especially on such nice models I've been able to get my hands on so far.

@ Webizen: I don't have all the medals and ribbons to do a staff officer up close like that. I could make them, but it will take a bit longer to do. Maybe once I get finished with my current projects I'll add some different staff officers.

EDIT: As far as the German officer's cap, maybe it's hard to see but the cap in your pic is almost exactly what I already have on the German staff officer above.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 11/13/2014 1:12:01 AM >

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 45
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 12:14:45 AM   
GaryChildress

RIFLE PACK II: Files attached

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 11/13/2014 11:34:07 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 12:16:02 AM   
GaryChildress

And here is the preview of the riflemen in the pack directly above.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 47
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 12:34:35 AM   
GaryChildress

AMERICAN OFFICER ADDENDUM TO STAFF PACK II: Files attached

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 11/13/2014 8:55:05 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 1:27:21 AM   
Tac2i

Well, I guess what really gets me is that the German staff guy looks more like a LT leading troops or a military policeman, which is OK but if a LT he wouldn't be wearing a cap like that I don't believe, unless he was in a more formal uniform. I need to find a better graphic to show what I mean. I could be wrong of course. Regardless, appreciate your effort!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

EDIT: As far as the German officer's cap, maybe it's hard to see but the cap in your pic is almost exactly what I already have on the German staff officer above.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 11/13/2014 2:56:45 AM >

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

Post #: 49
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 2:39:15 AM   
GaryChildress

I suppose I could dress up my officers a bit more with medals, ribbons and rank pins. (I'll have to make most of them myself. And it will take a while to do.) I was sort of thinking of the officers as captains, majors and people like that (part of the general's staff) instead of the Generals themselves. The original picture used in the game doesn't appear to be a very high ranking officer.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 50
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 5:37:48 PM   
mgaffn1

Congrats Gary, looks like you've been bitten by the ATG Editor bug! Be prepared to spend many hours of your life tinkering with this cool game editor.

Mike

Post #: 51
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 6:14:18 PM   
GaryChildress

ELITE FORCES PACK I: Files attached

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 11/13/2014 8:55:41 PM >

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 52
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 6:15:29 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

Congrats Gary, looks like you've been bitten by the ATG Editor bug! Be prepared to spend many hours of your life tinkering with this cool game editor.

Thanks mgaffn1, This is definitely a great game.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 53
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 6:16:35 PM   
GaryChildress

Here's the preview of the elite forces pack (posted above).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/13/2014 11:21:15 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

As for paratroopers, I didn't create a separate SMG, MG, Bazooka, Mortar unit for paradrops, I just made the standard units droppable. I could do make them, but it would mean more SFTs and items, which may not be a good idea since in one of the posts regarding models, Vic says they eat memory. I would suggest you go ahead and make them, since they look to be part of the template, and we can decide what to do later.

Hi Ormand,

I was doing some thinking (it's quite a rare event in my life), wouldn't it use up less memory to use only "overlay files"?

In other words, instead of having two graphics files per unit (one "base" and one "overlay"), what would happen if all unit graphics only used one file? So, for example, normally when ATG loads the graphics for a rifle unit, I assume it loads both the Base file and the Overlay file. Each file is approximately 18kb (in most cases) from what I can tell. So that's two 18kb files using 36kb of memory. Instead of two 18kb files I can reduce the size of my files to 18kb also (using a 256 color palette instead of 32 bit color or whatever) and put all the graphics for a single unit into one 18kb file so that when the game loads my graphics it should only use 18kb of memory instead of 36 to show one sub-formation graphic. Theoretically wouldn't that make it possible to create two units instead of one for the same amount of memory space?

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 55
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/14/2014 3:59:04 AM   
Ormand

Gary,

Two things.

First, something has come that will make it difficult for me to work on this for a while Sorry, it can't be helped. Consequently, It will go slower than I thought.

But, your work looks great. I am somewhat envious, and need to learn how to do 3D modeling.

As for the SFT's. For the graphics, I think you have to load two files. But, the second one can be transparent, which is what I have been doing. This is only 286 bytes, so it doesn't eat much. I thought maybe he was referring to the data itself. Each SFT has quite a lot of data associated with it to specify all the parameters, and the data for models might even be more per SFT. Unfortunately, I can't find his post to check it. He was more or less saying that he made the cost a little higher in order to keep players from going hog-wild with models since too many STF's could be a problem. That is my memory of the post at least. I agree that it would seem that 22 KB is a fair amount of data, so it might that the pictures are the biggest factor.

Post #: 56
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/14/2014 10:15:58 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

Gary,

Two things.

First, something has come that will make it difficult for me to work on this for a while Sorry, it can't be helped. Consequently, It will go slower than I thought.

But, your work looks great. I am somewhat envious, and need to learn how to do 3D modeling.

As for the SFT's. For the graphics, I think you have to load two files. But, the second one can be transparent, which is what I have been doing. This is only 286 bytes, so it doesn't eat much. I thought maybe he was referring to the data itself. Each SFT has quite a lot of data associated with it to specify all the parameters, and the data for models might even be more per SFT. Unfortunately, I can't find his post to check it. He was more or less saying that he made the cost a little higher in order to keep players from going hog-wild with models since too many STF's could be a problem. That is my memory of the post at least. I agree that it would seem that 22 KB is a fair amount of data, so it might that the pictures are the biggest factor.

Hi Ormand,

No worries. I sincerely hope it's nothing too serious and all is going well for you. Please keep up the great work on your mod when you find the time.

As far as 3D modeling there is a really great freeware program that I use called Wings3D. You can DL a copy here: http://www.wings3d.com/

I use it for creating some of the simpler 3D models I use (the more complex models I often end up purchasing). Unfortunately there aren't any good freeware programs I know of for actually rendering the models into bit map images so I had to buy Poser 9. Poser 9 is not exactly the Cadillac of 3D modeling programs but it gets the job done for me and only cost me about $100 (compared to about $3000 if I went with a high end program). If you're interested you can get a copy of Poser 9 for about $33.00 now on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-PSR9HDVD/dp/B005LXIJ7M/ref=sr_1_4?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1415963191&sr=1-4&keywords=poser

I will be happy to help where and if I can if you have any questions on how to use these programs. I don't t think they are too difficult to learn and there are tutorials available out there also. If I can learn them I'm sure you can.

I haven't gone with the latest versions of Poser because my understanding is that they no longer support DAZ 3D figures such as Michael 4 which I use for my human models.

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 57
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/16/2014 4:32:21 PM   
lion_of_judah

These are fantastic and cannot wait to play with these new graphics. I'm curious on where these new files
should be placed, thanks

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 11/16/2014 5:33:11 PM >

Post #: 58
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/16/2014 4:36:30 PM   
lion_of_judah

when should these be ready for download and are there plans too do tanks, planes and others.. I must say this is nothing short of greatness in my book. I just read an earlier post, so this question has now been answered.....

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 11/16/2014 5:57:16 PM >

Post #: 59
RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread - 11/16/2014 4:42:29 PM   
lion_of_judah

also some Korean war era graphics would be nice. Any planes on making more Asian forces for different theaters

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 11/16/2014 5:42:50 PM >

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Gary's New Graphics Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI