Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/16/2014 5:10:47 PM   
SirFinbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japhet
The Wekkarus, simply because they are cool. By the way, I think their galactopedia entry should be changed. It says they are crusteans, but their new art displays them as squid-like creatures.

That is from the default pedia entry, not the new one.

The default one reads: 'Large crustaceans with distinctive facial mandibles.'
The new one rightly mentions their squid-like tentacles ;p

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 601
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/16/2014 6:08:36 PM   
Blackstork

Yeah, right, new awesome pedias written by SirFinbar are very extensive and immersive.
There more stuff coming and also i will publish new CS GALS soon. :)

(in reply to SirFinbar)
Post #: 602
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/17/2014 12:47:02 AM   
Kabbers

Hiya

Wekkarus and Nax both great votes )

thank you for awesome sauce Blackstork ))

just starting with your mod and am AM^ZED!

xKabbers

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 603
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/19/2014 8:39:16 PM   
Blackstork

Hey guys
2 news, one good one less
1st new is that ergie updated the program so advance with humans and other races could be done
2nd new is that i will pospone release abit, because i did not had time to do it. I may release A.64 in upcoming days (which already have alot of work done) but i am not sure i will be able to test it and finalize (and i do not want to release it with some things being untested). I also might deicide to do it in form of A.7 as it was before. All this will be and under work, but there simple 2 fasts - i been very busy this week, and tomorrow my favorite game of dream, Dragon Age : Inqusition being released, so i will take some time to play and enjoy it. Anyways the development continues, we got new software, and some new programmer guy joined our team, and there is really, really big surprise for distant future. (hehe)
Anyways i love you all, I suspect i will release A.64 at least till end of the month if i will not take decision to bring it into advanced A.7 state.

Afterwards i plan major art update - to have some rest from number chewing and CS seeding and to return to my domain - art, and will do UIs and Character art only for some time.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 11/19/2014 9:41:30 PM >

(in reply to Kabbers)
Post #: 604
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/21/2014 2:56:52 PM   
xepooqu80

Thanks for all your hard work!!!!
Take the time you need ^^

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 605
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/21/2014 6:32:23 PM   
Kabbers

Plenty to be exploring already and I do look forward when you are ready Blackstork x

(in reply to xepooqu80)
Post #: 606
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/24/2014 1:45:39 PM   
hewwo

art is my favourite addition anyway:)

(in reply to Kabbers)
Post #: 607
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 11/30/2014 11:17:22 PM   
Genome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-_0ZKnUTZ4Q&list=UUu2elZa2o4sNFv5Xqa7t2IQ#t=725

I think the Yl'ta get another 2 votes haha. It's been quite a long time since I've been around this game, I can't wait to jump back in and see the changes made.

Edit: The human characters are really well done

< Message edited by Genome -- 12/1/2014 12:41:20 AM >

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 608
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/1/2014 6:41:31 AM   
Blackstork

I am starting to get back to things polishing my vector art tools and software ergie updated. I am still deep into DA:I and enjoying it, but there some work in background, als SirFinbar doing his awesome work and continue to write very nicely and deeply expanded lore pedias.
cheers, see u soon

(in reply to Genome)
Post #: 609
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/3/2014 7:48:53 AM   
razanon

thx for the reports. one of the best mods ever for that game awesome!

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 610
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/8/2014 6:41:45 PM   
dejagore

How are You guys doing with the A.7 update ? Any estimates for the release date ? And once again thanks for Your hard work. This mod's totally awesome. Cheers.

(in reply to razanon)
Post #: 611
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/8/2014 10:13:26 PM   
Darrow

Registered on the forums solely to post for this mod.

For starters, it's amazingly done and I love your work!

Few issues that I'd really like addressed with the mod.

1. When generating a new map 4 out of 5 times I get a error and the map generation stops. Not the end of the world because I just keep redoing it till eventually it works. However it would be nice if I stopped getting errors while the map generated.

2. Was something changed with the Automatic Ship Designs? I've played ALOT of Vanilla.. but I noticed the Automatic ship designs for this Mod are screwed up. For example..

As Humans all the automatic designs seem to do is add a bunch of Missiles onto ships. For Caleph's, all it does is add the special "Fighter/Bomber" module on and for the Keterovs the only weapons it uses is the graviton beams.

This is even if I have better and stronger weapons researched. Seriously, I had tech 4 Lasers researched and the automatic ship design was only adding Missile weapons onto my ships for the humans.

In Vanilla the Ship Design seems to work pretty well.. It'll give me a nice balance of Lasers/Missiles/Fighters/Tractor Beam. The Mod's ship designer seems to just shove one weapon type onto all it's ships and that's it.

Other than that, keep up the good work :)
(Please fix the ship design though)

(in reply to dejagore)
Post #: 612
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/9/2014 12:47:56 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darrow
In Vanilla the Ship Design seems to work pretty well

Hey Darrow:

I'm the author of the AI Improvement Mod which Blackstork has integrated into Beyond.

I strongly disagree with the statement you've made above. The Vanilla AI Ship Designs have a bunch of problems which allow players to easily exploit the AI. Let's systematically go through each problem and what the AI Improvement Mod does.

By putting a bunch of different weapons on each ship the AI is forced to research all of those weapon types. While the AI slowly does that I'll beeline to a high tier weapon of a particular type. Now do whatever testing you like (I have) but the synergistic effects of multiple weapons types are rarely enough to make up for that, in fact it's normally a slaughter. So each race in the AI Improvement Mod targets a particular weapon (in some cases there is a combination where the synergy is meaningful). The templates, tactics and research strategies are aligned.

Now when multiple weapons are used of fundamentally different types in Vanilla, what tactic should the AI use? On a ship design which mixes beams and missiles, do I apply point blank (the best choice for beams) or all weapons (the best choice for missiles). Either option is far from optimal. In contrast, in the AI Improvement Mod I've applied the tactic that works best for that weapon.

There is limited variation in weapons in Vanilla. Most races use beams and torpedoes/missiles. Relatively few use phasers, rail guns, gravitic weapons or fighters/bombers. And races that use some weapons, like rail guns, are at a distinct disadvantage as the weapon is underpowered. In the AI Improvement Mod, weapons have been balanced and there is a broader variety in weapons used across the races, indeed it's pretty much an even split.

Vanilla ship sizes are also very small, indeed this is probably the most common complaint. In the AI Improvement Mod, I've done everything possible to increase ship design sizes (and the developer has supported by improving shrinkage algorithms) and the AI is far more focused on construction research as well.

Now the game appears to have some hard coded rules. Let's use the human example you mentioned. They focus on Missiles, if you happened to research Torpedoes, the auto design would apply Torpedoes. But if you focused on Beams, it won't auto design using Torpedoes, as they are different weapons classes.

To make it visible what strategy each race applies in their Templates, you'll find information in the help files in-game for each race. There is also an Excel workbook "AI Improvement Mod.xls" in the Mod Folder, the summary tab in particular.

You can either apply the strategy intended for the race, auto design using the same class of weapon, or manually select the research to ensure the designs align if you want to use something completely different.

There is also another option if you don't mind getting into the Mod folders. For example personally I like playing Quameno with Torpedoes. In the AI Improvement Mod the Quameno use Gravitic Weapons. Since the Ackdarian designs use Torpedoes, I have a "custom" theme where the Ackdarian templates folder has simply been copied over to the Quameno, and also have a custom research order in the race file. That way I can put Ship and Base Design as well as Research on Auto. Which means more battles in less time ...

What I'm not going to do is change the designs back to Vanilla which defeats the entire purpose of the Mod i.e. to improve the AI. You put all these factors together and it's possible to get an entire game on Extreme difficulty, including the Shakturi, and never loose a single ship.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 12/9/2014 2:07:54 AM >

(in reply to Darrow)
Post #: 613
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/9/2014 6:13:57 AM   
Blackstork

@dejagore i am here mate and i am not run away :P
I continuing my work, but very slowly, because as i said above, i didnt got enough of Dragon Age : Inquisition, which is our for some two and half weeks and is amazing game.
Once i cover some minimum i wanted to have with this game i will be back to full scale modding
Cheers

@Darrow
Hello and wellcome to mod thread and forums!
Enjoy your stay :)
Thanks for support too.
For the issue with designs you have - i think Icemania just had perfect explanation of "why its so"
It actually huge upgrade for the game with AI it have now, and if you want to customize you could re-design ship designs by yourself. For now each race have certain weapon affinity and doctrine, and matching research sequence, and have its affinity documented in racial pedia.
Cheers

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 614
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/9/2014 5:42:32 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Classic AI could be exploited dozens of ways, the worst was selling multiple techs to them. They would never use racial techs, so sell those all you wanted. They would also mount multiple weapons rendering the final result ineffectual. Fleet makeups were often bizarre.

Now, with the new AI. I live in fear again, and actually have to work for a win.

Back in the 1980's a game, "Reach For the Stars 2" on the Apple][ had a killer AI mode that was aggressive and smart. The PC and Macintosh ports lacked those AI's, and had many other bugs never fixed, but after the Apple version I never feared an AI until recently.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 615
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/10/2014 7:54:10 PM   
dejagore

@CyclopsSlayer - Although I agree that Icemania's AI Improvement Mod is doing great job as for AI way of ship design - it's still better option to turn off the tech trading. It's still a potential money exploit.

@Blackstork - Thanks for the update :-)

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 616
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/11/2014 12:10:54 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: dejagore
@CyclopsSlayer - Although I agree that Icemania's AI Improvement Mod is doing great job as for AI way of ship design - it's still better option to turn off the tech trading. It's still a potential money exploit.

Fully agree on Technology Trading. It would be have be great to have access to mod Diplomacy as you can also farm cash from selling stations/bases or sanctions/war.

Some other house rules:

• No Homeworld Invasions are permitted until the 30 year mark and no use of sneaky fast troop transports (otherwise too easy, although harder now that what it used to be and I've done what I can in the AI Mod)
• Intelligence Agents must remain on Counter Intelligence duties (otherwise agents can sometimes become uber powerful particularly if they have concealment, there really should be a lower cap on skills)
• Recovered ships must be retired (as they are super powerful although with the AI Mod the AI explores much better so more will be found and fight against you)
• Debris field ships may not be recovered until they are within my territorial influence (as a huge research booster which the AI is uber slow to exploit, nothing I can Mod here unfortunately)
• Exploration ships must be on Automatic, no micro (stop and move to greatly increases exploration speed and goody finding)
• Cannot attack the **** Refugees until they reveal themselves (pure cheese)

< Message edited by Icemania -- 4/10/2018 2:44:32 PM >

(in reply to dejagore)
Post #: 617
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/11/2014 5:26:33 AM   
Blackstork

I would and already did that in OP - suggest to replace

• Intelligence Agents must remain on Counter Intelligence duties (otherwise agents can sometimes become uber powerful particularly if they have concealment, there really should be a lower cap on skills)

for
• Set less Ally races and more enemy Alliance races when you setup the game, playing in determined hostile environment with less ally cover adds alot of complexity and challenge.

Some races are build around espionage in Beyond, so taking main feature from them will be kinda not good even. Some races have only certain agent bonuses so that focus them inot particular field advantages.
On other side, setting foes to be more hostile and to pile on you from the start will provide much bigger challenge.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 618
RE: [A.62] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.9) - 12/11/2014 6:52:47 AM   
ghAries

I'm in love with your mod, it's what sealed the deal and made me pick up the game. Really excited to see it coming out of alpha.

< Message edited by ghAries -- 12/11/2014 8:14:20 AM >

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 619
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/11/2014 12:05:19 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork

I would and already did that in OP - suggest to replace

for
• Set less Ally races and more enemy Alliance races when you setup the game, playing in determined hostile environment with less ally cover adds alot of complexity and challenge.

Some races are build around espionage in Beyond, so taking main feature from them will be kinda not good even. Some races have only certain agent bonuses so that focus them inot particular field advantages.
On other side, setting foes to be more hostile and to pile on you from the start will provide much bigger challenge.

I'd recommend both. When Intelligence Agents skills get really high, stealing technology can be done very quickly, to the point it arguably becomes game breaking.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 620
RE: [A.62] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.9) - 12/11/2014 2:33:47 PM   
Forahilarm

Three out of the five download links do not work.

The error I receive on the base package, and the two race ones is that of "Permission Denied." It also states I can buy various music tracks from Amazon instead. I'm assuming it's due to copyright.

Is there anyway I can get these files otherwise?

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 621
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/11/2014 3:10:57 PM   
SirFinbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania
Some other house rules:

• No Homeworld Invasions are permitted until the 30 year mark and no use of sneaky fast troop transports (otherwise too easy, although harder now that what it used to be and I've done what I can in the AI Mod)
• Recovered ships must be retired (as they are super powerful although with the AI Mod the AI explores much better so more will be found and fight against you)
• Debris field ships may not be recovered until they are within my territorial influence (as a huge research booster which the AI is uber slow to exploit, nothing I can Mod here unfortunately)
• Exploration ships must be on Automatic, no micro (stop and move to greatly increases exploration speed and goody finding)
• Cannot attack the Eruktah Refugees until they reveal themselves as the Shakturi (pure cheese)

Brilliant! Lord Icemania himself has suggested leaving exploration ships to auto, therefore I will! Small scale exploration is relatively interesting, although it does wear off quickly. When you have dozens of ships it quickly becomes a repetitive chore.

I can't wait to get a new PC (mine blew up) and start up a campaign with this mod!

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 622
RE: [A.62] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.9) - 12/13/2014 1:18:16 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

ORIGINAL: Forahilarm

Three out of the five download links do not work.

The error I receive on the base package, and the two race ones is that of "Permission Denied." It also states I can buy various music tracks from Amazon instead. I'm assuming it's due to copyright.

Is there anyway I can get these files otherwise?

1. This is issue of your browser. At download site you are requested to download with use of captcha. Some people been telling that their browser do so, but thats problem can be solved just by adjusting settings / cookies/ using other browser. All you need is your browser stop blocking/skipping captchas.
2. Amazon stuff is unrelated. Its all ok.

(in reply to Forahilarm)
Post #: 623
RE: [A.62] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.9) - 12/13/2014 1:20:16 PM   
Blackstork

My first campaign (nightmare mode) is done in DA:I
This means i startying polishing tools and will be doing things soon.
That was intence, i plan another run but that will much less prioritized and i going to go back to creating stuff.

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 624
RE: [A.62] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.9) - 12/13/2014 1:53:36 PM   
Forahilarm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackstork
1. This is issue of your browser. At download site you are requested to download with use of captcha. Some people been telling that their browser do so, but thats problem can be solved just by adjusting settings / cookies/ using other browser. All you need is your browser stop blocking/skipping captchas.
2. Amazon stuff is unrelated. Its all ok.

Alright, thanks! Fiddled with the settings and am downloading everything now. :)

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 625
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/15/2014 5:46:24 AM   
ghAries

Awesome. Looking forward to A7 intensely.

< Message edited by ghAries -- 12/16/2014 4:12:06 AM >

(in reply to SirFinbar)
Post #: 626
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/17/2014 9:56:32 PM   
dejagore

quote:

ORIGINAL: ghAries

Same here. I guess they're planning a ChristmA7 gift

(in reply to ghAries)
Post #: 627
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/17/2014 10:19:20 PM   
ghAries

quote:

ORIGINAL: dejagore

quote:

ORIGINAL: ghAries

Same here. I guess they're planning a ChristmA7 gift

Has that been confirmed somewhere or is it speculation? That would be the best xmas gift..

(in reply to dejagore)
Post #: 628
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/18/2014 2:59:14 AM   
EnDSchultz

First off I'll say this mod is fantastic. Having a great time with it.

However, I'll be honest. I think area weapons of all types just need to be removed. More and more, I've been leaving research and ship design/upgrading automated, but as the XHumans, it's killing me. My cruisers get area gravitic weapons built on them, and then put into fleets. Unfortunately the there is NO provision in the combat AI for acknowledging and avoiding area weapons. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to warp into a system with overwhelming odds, only to watch your entire fleet of cruisers and battleships get sucked into their own gravity wells and torn to pieces?

There's just no point in having these weapons in the tech tree, let alone have the AI build them into ships, if they're impossible to deploy without annihilating your own fleets.

(in reply to ghAries)
Post #: 629
RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! - 12/18/2014 6:22:11 AM   
Blackstork

@all there will be NY eve gift of A.64 which will have some things done till now (6 new CS) + some fix + alot of awesome work by SirFinbar with his new lore expanded galactopedia articles , and my graphic design arrangement
This patch will feature alot of amazing work done by SirFinbar and some things i did before meant for previous plan of A.7
A.7 will be something major and wont be on ny eve, thats for sure
A.7 will be earliest in Feb, or later, and will feature ALOT of new art + some more CS. It will aim to finalize UI project actually, and add Naxxilians to list of races which have full scale unique portrait set for their characters.

@EnDSchultz i cant remove area weapons, i think that game devs need to add some ai which will manage it. For now its only option to hand-design ships or to micromanage them

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 12/18/2014 7:25:54 AM >

(in reply to EnDSchultz)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP! Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI