Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I give up...again

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: I give up...again Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 10:17:19 AM   
Cataphract88

Hear! Hear!

Richard

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 31
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 10:41:46 AM   
76mm

Probably the most frequent source of crashes I've seen is during the land movement phase--sometimes when I try to move a unit, the program for some reason allows an illegal move (ie, even if I try to move beyond the unit's movement range, I get a cross-hair instead of an X), and if I then try to actually move the unit to the illegal location, the map screen whites out and the game freezes. This happened to me 3-4 times during a recent German movement phase...

While I suppose I could avoid this type of crash by carefully double-checking what the computer is allowing me to do, it is not that easy in crowded movement environments (lots of units, diff types of terrain), and moreover, the whole point of a computer game is so that I don't have to worry about stuff like this.

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 32
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 11:27:23 AM   
warspite1

Well I'm not glossing over anything - boy does this game have some problems - but I must say I have never encountered these issues that you are seeing

Weird

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 33
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 11:34:32 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well I'm not glossing over anything - boy does this game have some problems - but I must say I have never encountered these issues that you are seeing

Weird

Neither have I.

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Probably the most frequent source of crashes I've seen is during the land movement phase--sometimes when I try to move a unit, the program for some reason allows an illegal move (ie, even if I try to move beyond the unit's movement range, I get a cross-hair instead of an X), and if I then try to actually move the unit to the illegal location, the map screen whites out and the game freezes. This happened to me 3-4 times during a recent German movement phase...

While I suppose I could avoid this type of crash by carefully double-checking what the computer is allowing me to do, it is not that easy in crowded movement environments (lots of units, diff types of terrain), and moreover, the whole point of a computer game is so that I don't have to worry about stuff like this.

If you can get a position that crashes every time you try a particular (illegal) move, please post it to the Tech Support forum, with precise instructions on how to duplicate the crash. I have not seen any bug reports about this sort of crash, nor have I encountered it in my own play.

Thank you.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 2:00:40 PM   
bo

quote:

Hi 76mm, I have been meaning to say hello to you, but after reading this post by you I am not sure how I would be received , wow are you having problems. There is enough things wrong with the game without you having to deal with game crashes, white screens, game freezing, X's and crosshairs. I have not tested for a few weeks so I went back yesterday with fear in my heart about what I would find, but alas I saw none of these things, every phase of the game seemed to play fine on my computer. Well almost every phase we still have some naval problems.

Many years ago a cartoonist in our newspapers named Al Capp made up a cartoon called Lil Abner, it ran every day in our newspapers. What was interesting about the comic was about a person he named Joe Btfsplk [not misspelled that was his name] he was otherwise named Joe Schmoo or Joe Phtttt because where ever he went a black cloud hung over his head, meaning what could possibly go wrong, did. But then that was just a cartoon not real life, right 76mm

I think you are having computer problems 76mm, not sure as I am not computer oriented, or it could be real game problems, just think four or five years from now when you are kicking my butt in net play [I know big time zone difference] we will look back on this, open a up a good bottle of German beer [your choice]and laugh about all these problems with MWIF.

Just teasing Tom, the only thing I care about is that you and your family remain in good health through the years so you can enjoy MWIF.

Your friend

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/13/2014 6:37:57 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 35
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 4:38:19 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

Hear! Hear!

Wow, you to cataphract88, are you having all those problems too? Maybe you players should change your video cards or update your drivers or something. This morning after reading 76mm's post I went back into Fascist tide and attacked Poland again just like yesterday for fear I missed something and ran every possible sequence I could from land ground movement and attacks, air ground attacks, bombardment, port attack, strategic air attacks, HQ reorganization, cap, carpet bombing, rail movement, invasions, land combat declarations, air rebase, naval air, called out the reserves of Germany, Commonwealth, France, naval moves, and last but not least the program never allowed me an illegal move.

All of these without one bit of problem except that I hurried and made some stupid moves which cost me some units, but I normally do that anyway [stupid moves] no white screen, no crashing to desk top, no crashing when I make an illegal move which has nothing to do with 76mm problems. When you post these kind of things even though you were just clapping you have to be prepared to back them up. There are a few problems that Steve is trying to solve I will admit that but none of what 76mm said is on that list.

Not being combative or a smart mouth or trying to make someone look foolish, just telling it like it is with what I just saw in playing a full turn.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/13/2014 6:53:00 PM >

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 36
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 6:00:27 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Another crash...this time I had just finished the air transport phase and the game went into a tizzy, with the Sequence of Play form flashing in different colors/nationalities (this was Germany's turn) and the game going completely unresponsive...here are some screenies:

I have to say that this might be the most unstable game I've ever purchased, and I think that the focus should be on fixing stability issues before moving on towards NetPlay, much less the AI...

That info form should only come up when F4 is pressed. It isn't needed for normal play, That and being able to move to locations that have an 'X' are just bizarre and have never been reported by anyone else to my knowledge. Maybe you should try a fresh install of the game.

Paul

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 37
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 8:25:07 PM   
76mm

Hey bo, of course I know about lil Abner in "your" newspapers--I'm American you know....

I'll try to replicate the white screen tomorrow, I have an inkling what is causing it.

And since I'm new, I keep the Sequence of Play open all the time, so that I have some clue what is going on. Usually it updates "live", but sometimes it gets confused and I have to close and reopen it. Only once has it gone into a tizzy fit as describe above.

Also, I was not able to move to places that had an X--rather, I could move to places that should have had an X but instead had crosshairs. I think I might be able to replicate that tomorrow, will try.

But the stacking thing was the weirdest to me, I was very surprised about that one...

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 38
RE: I give up...again - 12/13/2014 9:31:08 PM   
Centuur

quote:

Centuur, thanks much for the tips, particularly re the F10 key and merging convoys. I've kept the main form in the middle of the second screen (had read that somewhere else). Most of the "missing form" issues that I have seem to occur during the "Perform Mission" step of phases; I was not aware of the F10 trick and will try that next time.

Also, I have a question about stacking: I thought that land unit stacking was limited to two corps and a division, but somehow I was able to stack three corps in Osaka:

Is that right? Is stacking disregarded for corps on transports in port?

???

How did you manage to do this? That's a bug, for sure...

Are you using the latest version (beta or normal, that doesn't matter)?

However, perhaps it is the sequence of play form which causes this strange behaviour. I've never used it, but perhaps keeping it open gives these strange things. I'm going to test this tomorrow and see if that's the issue. I've never played the game with that screen open at all times...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 12/13/2014 10:36:30 PM >

Peter

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 39
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 2:58:04 AM   
bo

quote:

Hey bo, of course I know about lil Abner in "your" newspapers--I'm American you know....

I'll try to replicate the white screen tomorrow, I have an inkling what is causing it.

And since I'm new, I keep the Sequence of Play open all the time, so that I have some clue what is going on. Usually it updates "live", but sometimes it gets confused and I have to close and reopen it. Only once has it gone into a tizzy fit as describe above.

Also, I was not able to move to places that had an X--rather, I could move to places that should have had an X but instead had crosshairs. I think I might be able to replicate that tomorrow, will try.

But the stacking thing was the weirdest to me, I was very surprised about that one...

Ok I give up Moscow is where, as there are 27 states with a city called Moscow.

Hope you can solve these problems Tom. It takes all the fun out of the game when you have all those problems, maybe Steve can help you.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 12/14/2014 4:07:04 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 40
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 3:19:57 AM   
76mm

quote:

How did you manage to do this? That's a bug, for sure...

Believe me, it was very easy! I think I have an idea about what is going on, I will test today and write more later.

Bo, I live in Moscow Russia but am not Russian, but American.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 41
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 3:30:47 AM   
76mm

In the meantime, could someone please explain how to save Build Points? I have that option turned on (but not the oil rules), but don't see any way to actually save them. The manual also does not specify HOW to save them, just that you can save them...

[EDIT--Never mind, figured this one out... ]

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/14/2014 5:22:00 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 42
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 12:32:07 PM   
alexvand

quote:

In the meantime, could someone please explain how to save Build Points? I have that option turned on (but not the oil rules), but don't see any way to actually save them. The manual also does not specify HOW to save them, just that you can save them...

[EDIT--Never mind, figured this one out... ]

During the production phase don't spend all your BPs. Then click on done and a new form will appear that will allow you to save them.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 43
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 1:02:32 PM   
76mm

Sigh...I seem to be stuck now in a groundhog day situation--in the Japanese Naval Move Phase every time I move my naval units into a sea area with some British cruisers, an expected form does not appear, and I cannot advance the game. To fix this I've tried:
--restoring the game several times, but the same thing happens every time;
--changing the resolution on my second monitor to see if I can catch an edge of the missing form; and
--changing the position of my second monitor to see if the form might have popped up somewhere else.

Nothing worked. And hitting the F10 key does not bring up the missing form, but rather the US Entry Actions form. Surely there must be some command to bring forms to the top/center of my screen??

This is extremely frustrating...

(in reply to alexvand)
Post #: 44
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 3:31:29 PM   
Centuur

There must be something wrong with the hardware you're using. Is it poised for using Russian as first language? It has been known that someone in the Balkans also had the computer set for cyrillic scripts, and that caused problems too. Is the windows size on normal (not large)?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Peter

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 45
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 3:38:24 PM   
AxelNL

As an American in Russia the NSA might have secretly installed more spyware than usual, interfering with your ability to play wargames?

this is supposed to be a sort of funny remark, if this landed bad please accept my excuses. Your described problems I have not seen before and would have been enough for me to drop it for a while

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 46
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 4:05:05 PM   
76mm

quote:

As an American in Russia the NSA might have secretly installed more spyware than usual, interfering with your ability to play wargames?

Very possibly, but perhaps not the NSA... But all of my other games work more or less normally.

First language on keyboard is English, although the OS is in Russian. This has not caused problems in any other game/program that I have.

I was able to continue the game by turning off the second screen and forcing everything onto one screen, so the "missing" form finally reappeared. Thus far not able to replicate some of the weirder issues--because of the various problems I've not had much opportunity to try today.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 47
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 4:21:08 PM   
Zorachus99

I think you need to change the OS language to English. That will likely fix it. You can change the language depending on the version of your OS. Win 7 Ultimate offers them all. Some of the program had legacy assembly language when Steve inherited it, and is written in pascal I think (blech). So I could imagine stored 'char' characters and other things not working correctly.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 48
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 4:50:48 PM   
bo

quote:

Sigh...I seem to be stuck now in a groundhog day situation--in the Japanese Naval Move Phase every time I move my naval units into a sea area with some British cruisers, an expected form does not appear, and I cannot advance the game. To fix this I've tried:
--restoring the game several times, but the same thing happens every time;
--changing the resolution on my second monitor to see if I can catch an edge of the missing form; and
--changing the position of my second monitor to see if the form might have popped up somewhere else.

Nothing worked. And hitting the F10 key does not bring up the missing form, but rather the US Entry Actions form. Surely there must be some command to bring forms to the top/center of my screen??

This is extremely frustrating...

Hi 76mm from Russia I just tested the movement of Japanese naval vessels into the Bengal Sea where several Commonwealth cruisers were and this is the pop up screen that I received, if you do not see this screen you have a computer or game problem. I think you better reinstall or listen to some of the posters here about which language you should use, just trying to help Tom

Bo

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bo -- 12/14/2014 5:56:28 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 49
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 5:04:01 PM   
76mm

I've got Windows 7 Home--I'm really supposed to buy a new operating system to play this game? Gee, I didn't see that in the product specs when I bought it. And by the way, all of my dozens of other programs and games seem to cope with Russian windows just fine.

Great news that no one else is having these problems, but the game is close to unplayable for me, so if it turns out that I can't even run it with my OS I think I might have to ask for my money back.

And what about this F10 key issue? That function is pretty much necessary for this game--if F10 doesn't do it, what does?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/14/2014 6:08:14 PM >

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 50
RE: I give up...again - 12/14/2014 5:42:18 PM   
Centuur

I'm not a programmer. I don't know what a Russian Windows 7 will do. I do know that a guy in Belgrad was using a Serbian Windows version. After he put Windows to use the English language, the game ran...

That's all I know. So can you try this?

Peter

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 51
RE: I give up...again - 12/15/2014 2:28:56 AM   
76mm

No, I cannot change the OS base language--I have Windows 7 Home, not Ultimate. All settings which can be set to English were done long ago.

If Matrix's suggestion is that I buy a new OS so that I can run the game--although in fact we have no idea whether a new OS will even fix the problems--I would say that is more than a little unreasonable. Has Matrix revised the "Required Specs" page to make clear that only English-language Windows 7 works with the game??

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/15/2014 3:30:32 AM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 52
RE: I give up...again - 12/15/2014 6:37:16 AM   
paulderynck

Post some saved games when you have theses issues, please. Just zip the save or the auto-save and upload it here as if it was a picture.

Paul

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 53
RE: I give up...again - 12/15/2014 6:44:15 AM   
76mm

quote:

Post some saved games when you have theses issues, please. Just zip the save or the auto-save and upload it here as if it was a picture.

Will do; the stacking issue I have only seen one time, but the white screen I've seen several times. I have a hunch what might be causing both but am having a hard time replicating it...

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 54
RE: I give up...again - 12/16/2014 1:20:16 PM   
76mm

I have to say that the last couple of days have been rather stable--I have not seen any of the weird issues I reported earlier, even after trying to replicate them based on my guess about the cause. FWIW, I thought that the problems were caused by having multiple overlapping Detail Maps (unintentionally), but I tried unsuccessfully to replicate.

The only problem I have encountered in the last few days is missing forms... This issue has been obvious since Day 1 and I'm surprised that there is apparently no function/hotkey to bring active forms front and center. Everytime this happens I spend 10-15 minutes getting around the problem--is this really necessary?

The other main problem is my complete incompetence in playing the navy-dominant powers such as Commonwealth and Japan. It's really sad...I will try to find some good AARs for some pointers. In my current game, much of the British fleet has been annihilated, Suez and Syria have fallen, and the Italians are marching towards Bagdad...

I'll be travelling for most of the next month so won't have much to add until mid-January when I'm back in the saddle.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 55
RE: I give up...again - 12/16/2014 6:18:05 PM   
Centuur

Missing forms? Are those combat forms? If they are, you can try pressing F10 and close the form which than appears. This forces combat forms to become visible. This is known to happen in air-to-air combat.

I don't know of any other form which isn't visible, except for the carrier planes landing form, of which a part might be behind the air-to-air form. Drag it out, and you can use it...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 12/16/2014 7:18:37 PM >

Peter

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 56
RE: I give up...again - 12/16/2014 7:30:08 PM   
76mm

I don't think I've had any problems with air-to-air combat forms (I don't have much air to air combat)--usually I have problems with naval forms, although probably 19 times out of 20 they appear fine, then suddenly they won't.

Pressing F10 only brings up the US Entry Options form, and has no effect on bringing other forms to the front.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 57
RE: I give up...again - 12/16/2014 7:36:57 PM   
bo

quote:

I don't think I've had any problems with air-to-air combat forms (I don't have much air to air combat)--usually I have problems with naval forms, although probably 19 times out of 20 they appear fine, then suddenly they won't.

Pressing F10 only brings up the US Entry Options form, and has no effect on bringing other forms to the front.

Have a nice trip

Bo

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 58
RE: I give up...again - 12/31/2014 7:37:43 AM   
willbowe

quote:

That part makes sense, but if I'm reading that penalty correctly, you get penalized for having more naval arty support--no matter how poorly planned an invasion is, seems like having more arty would be a good thing (assuming you avoid friendly fire of course).

I can well understand your confusion, but what you need to understand - and which the rules should explain - is that when it says "+ the shore bombardment modifier for each invading unit", "shore bombardment modifier" is just a number, which in this case has nothing to do with shore bombardment. Note the word "modifier" - we are not referring here to your naval units' shore bombardment factors. The shore bombardment modifiers in any sea area are 0 for the 4 box, 0* for the 3 box, 1* for the 2 box, 2* in the 1 box, and "None" in the 0 box, where * equals +1 in rain or snow. These are the numbers used to penalise shore bombardment from low box numbers and in bad weather. They are used to the same effect for launching invasions, by being added to the factors of the notional unit you are attacking (though you may well think it would be more appropriate to penalise the attacker's combat factors). Handily for the game creators, the same set of numbers works well for both purposes.

So as you can see, your attacks from the one box, assuming them to be on in-supply units, were immediately running into a 3-factor defence, which would have been 1-factor if you had been going from the 3 box. And yes, this indeed causes you to privilege invasions closer to home.

< Message edited by konevau -- 12/31/2014 9:01:26 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 59
RE: I give up...again - 12/31/2014 8:11:20 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: konevau
Note the word "modifier" - we are not referring here to your naval units' shore bombardment factors.

Doh! Thanks, that the part I was missing. Now alles klar.

(in reply to willbowe)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: I give up...again Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI