Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1.0801??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1.0801?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1.0801?? - 1/5/2015 12:43:37 AM   
Timotheus

Is there any?

Even the computer runs like mad from my Axis.

I play Axis as they are the attacking side and more fun for the beginner vs AI, but I took a quick gander at the Soviet side of things.

Simply put, the Soviet runs away as much as he can only stopping at major river lines.

If done successfully, and lots of engis placed in corps/army level, the Axis player may find the Dnepr and other river lines with fort level of 2 or more.

The railways evacuate everything in site (or am I wrong in 1.0801?) with no problem, the Soviet does not need to stress much if he keeps calm and sacrifices some blocking units to give him time to dig in on Dnepr/stand and fight line.

Then checkerboard time so Axis cannot pocket - if in danger, run again.

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
Post #: 1
RE: Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1... - 1/5/2015 6:15:05 AM   
Denniss

If the soviets run that fast they are not able to evacuate all factories, especially leaving HI factories (as suggested for 1.07 and earlier) will present you with lots of supply problems in 1942+.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 2
RE: Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1... - 1/5/2015 1:23:04 PM   
hooooper_slith

In my experience that Soviet tactic can be effective, and can also be beaten by an Axis player with a good grasp of logistics who can keep the Stavka guessing about what's coming next. There have been lots of games where Rostov and Vorenezh have fallen in 41 or armies have been pocketed trying to defend them. As soon as the Axis player makes it obvious what's happening, then they're at a big disadvantage as the Soviets can strip quiet sections, lay down carpets and direct replacements and reinforcements there.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 3
RE: Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1... - 1/5/2015 3:18:23 PM   
heliodorus04

If you are describing the AI as running as fast as it can, that's not exactly how I have seen the AI play.
In 1.08/.01, I've had my most fun 41 Campaign (290) that I've ever had.
If you cannot pocket vs. the AI in a 41 campaign, you're doing something odd in your approach. I have found the AI is still so easily encircled when I use HQ Buildup that I simply don't use HQ Buildup vs. the AI. But that has been true for AI play for me for as long as I can remember. It just can't defend in depth that way (especially against factory raiding).

Vs. a Human, the ZOC movement rules are what they are. They reward checkerboard and reward the Soviet for doing what the Red Army was prohibited from doing by Stalin. The game still gives great hindsight advantage to the Soviet side in 1941/42. A WitE Red Army run by a human will be orders of magnitude better organized and deployed than the real one was. The German army gets some benefit from hindsight, particularly the winter of 41 awareness, but on the whole probably not as great as the Soviet player can squeeze out of his army.

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to hooooper_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1... - 1/5/2015 6:59:26 PM   
Timotheus

Well, the AI does run for the first 2 turns.

But you are right, I am getting results of 10-30 enemy Soviet divisions destroyed per turn of play.

This was more of a question for the human Soviet player, as I am gearing up to (gulp!) try a H2H game of this.

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 5
RE: Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1... - 1/5/2015 7:01:51 PM   
micheljq

I was thinking of sacrifying 1-2 or 3 divisions in major cities like Minsk, Smolensk, even encircled. To delay the german's advance.

But with the rules as they are, the encircled divisions seem to lose their battle value rapidly, even with city supply.

But I still play with 1.07.05 version for now.

Michel.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Incentive for Soviet to stay/fight and not run in 1.0801?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI