Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/23/2014 6:34:34 PM   
FrankHunter

It was mentioned that when a unit is at reduced strength it shouldn't have to pay its full stacking value to have its supply level increased.

That makes sense of course but as an example let's say a unit has a stacking value of 4 and its reduced in strength from 12 to 6 so it should be easy to allow the supply level to be increased at a cost of 2 supply instead of 4.

The problem is it would create a "gamey" situation where a player could increase that unit's combat supply level while its at low strength and then afterwards add replacements to it to bring it up to its full 12 strength. So pay 2 supply points instead of 4 to increase the combat supply level and only then bring the unit up to full strength.

Post #: 1
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/23/2014 10:50:01 PM   
pzgndr

That's a good point.  Perhaps the effect of adding replacements on not just a unit's supply level but also its disruption should be factored in.  Ideally reinforcement units and replacements should be arriving with some nominal supply greater than black, say at least red.  That could be reconsidered for reinforcements.  So for replacements, adding red strength points to a yellow or green unit should have a chance of reducing the supply level to avoid those gamey situations.  Just a thought. 

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 2
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/23/2014 11:40:52 PM   
SMK-at-work

I agree as strength is increased combat supply could be decreased - there are 4 supply states from black-green, so maybe do the math in quarters - if you increase strength past 1 of the "quarter" levels then your combat supply drops 1 level.

So for example the unit Frank mentions in the OP - size 4, Str 12, if you "green" it at str 6 then if you add replacements to 9 or more it will become yellow.

This is not as "accurate" as assuming each replacement point comes with red or black as suggested by pzgndr, but might be simpler to implement?

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/24/2014 8:46:09 AM   
SMK-at-work

I just had a further thought on this - if you do go to all the trouble of making something dynamic for supply vs size, why not also make actual stacking points dynamic?

I think it could be "loaded" on the high side because there's a lot of "tail" - especially in allied units - so maybe something like you lose 1/4 stack points at 1/3 strength losses, and then -1 stack point for another 1/4 losses and that's about all - maybe a separate scale for different sized units - eg something like

5 SP units lose 1 SP for each 6 strength loss
4 SP units lose 1 SP for each 4 strength loss
3 SP units lose 1 SP fo4 losing 4 strength, and another if losing another 3 strength
2 SP units lose 1 SP for losing 1/2+1 of heir strength
1 SP units never lose any stack points (duh! :))

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/24/2014 11:30:15 PM   
Michael T

If it were my game I would simply not allow replacements to be added after supply is added. So rep’s first, then supply.

Also to make the game more realistic and avoid supply abuse in the following turn (i.e. adding supply in turn 35, then filling the unit up with rep’s on turn 36), I would limit units to only receiving 3 rep’s per turn max if a XX, 2 rep’s per turn max if a X.

Sure it can still be gamed over the course of several turns but it’s the lesser of two evils, the current situation is much worse.

Post #: 5
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/27/2014 10:25:59 AM   
SMK-at-work

I think some mechanism is highly desirable.

I have been playing he Axis vs the computer allied lately, and it is really irritating to have something like HG at 5 SP reduced to 6 or 7 str and you aren't getting man reinforcements and it's a serious waste of scarce supply making fit for even defensive battle!! :/

TBH sometimes I'd also like to be able to disband shattered units and use their strength to rebuild others!

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 6
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/27/2014 3:38:08 PM   
FrankHunter

I have put in something similar to what Michael suggested, just working on the details at the moment.

I did have a disband option in early versions of the game but removed it because it would allow either side to use reinforcements as immediate replacements without having to move the units. Germany for example has to march those infantry units from the Alps a long way to the front whereas converting them to replacements would have made them instantly available.

Post #: 7
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/28/2014 2:57:12 AM   
SMK-at-work

The disbanding problem is fairly easy to get around - limit it to units at 1/2 strength or less, and/or in "black" combat supply.

Post #: 8
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/28/2014 12:36:55 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work
The disbanding problem is fairly easy to get around - limit it to units at 1/2 strength or less, and/or in "black" combat supply.

It can't be black supply because reinforcements arrive black, and lots of units turn black over the course of the game. But a disband option for units at 25% strength or less would be good. I think 50% might be too high.

Post #: 9
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/28/2014 9:21:54 PM   
SMK-at-work

All the reinforcement I get arrive red.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 10
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 8/29/2014 7:23:30 AM   
FrankHunter

I've added the Disband order back into the game.

Post #: 11
RE: Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units - 1/11/2015 7:38:39 PM   
wadepm

Would it make sense to keep track of supply internally as points so that when a replacement is added a weighting can be done to determine the level of supply for game purposes?

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> Cost of combat supply for reduced strength units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI