Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 1/11/2015 6:54:08 PM   
warspite1

Normal service has been resumed .... I hate football so much

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1651
RE: European Championships - 1/11/2015 7:20:07 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Normal service has been resumed .... I hate football so much

No, you don't.

You love it to much to hate it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1652
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 1:50:06 PM   
warspite1

So Jermain Defoe signs for Sunderland - just in time to make his debut for the Black Cats against..... Tottenham Why is that a problem? Well he happens to have scored on his debut for every club he's played for.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1653
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 2:26:05 PM   
Orm

Looks good so far for Tottenham.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1654
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 2:29:13 PM   
warspite1

It did last week - but we just cannot seem to finish teams off.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1655
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 2:32:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

.....and right on cue

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1656
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 2:36:35 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

.....and right on cue

Yeah. But it was Sebastian Larsson that scored.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1657
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 2:37:56 PM   
Orm

quote:

Last week it looked to me that a bad penalty call changed the game.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1658
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 4:38:44 PM   
Orm

quote:

So Jermain Defoe signs for Sunderland - just in time to make his debut for the Black Cats against..... Tottenham Why is that a problem? Well he happens to have scored on his debut for every club he's played for.....

That went well.

So did they play Defoe and he missed scoring?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1659
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 4:40:00 PM   
Orm

Chelsea won 5-0 against Swansea. Chelsea do seem to score a lot of goals considering that they play all out defence.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1660
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 4:48:20 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

That went well.

So did they play Defoe and he missed scoring?
warspite1

Yes - his record is ended

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1661
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 4:48:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Chelsea won 5-0 against Swansea. Chelsea do seem to score a lot of goals considering that they play all out defence.
warspite1

TD remains quiet......

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1662
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 4:49:10 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

TD remains quiet......

I noticed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1663
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 4:55:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

warspite1

TD remains quiet......

Ahhh, someone mentioned Mourinho's team?? Don't get me started, you provocateurs!

Statistics: 51 goals in 22 matches => 2,3 goals per match. Not bad. Still, Chelsea has got a lot of dynamite, TNT forward (you can expect goals). Hopefully Mourinho might see the light. But I doubt it.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1664
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 5:03:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

Don't get me started, you provocateurs!

But I do want a update on this so I feel a need to be provocative.

Man City 45 goals, Arsenal 37 goals, Man United 36 goals, Liverpool 31 goals. All in 21 or 22 matches.

It seems to me that Chelsea score more. But do they play more defensive than the other top teams in the league?

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1665
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 5:14:59 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Man City 45 goals, Arsenal 37 goals, Man United 36 goals, Liverpool 31 goals. All in 21 or 22 matches.

It seems to me that Chelsea score more. But do they play more defensive than the other top teams in the league?

To be honest, I am not following the Premier League this year. Not even the results

So has Mourinho changed his style? I would be very surprised. Anyway, to me the problem is not the lack of goals. It's the *style* You can have very entertaining games which end 0 - 0.

But if it's the old Mourinho and all his players are still inside the "cave" aka near their GK then I imagine that they can effectively mount a couple or more of counterattacks (90 mn is a lot of time) and score these couple of goals minimum. Again, the dynamite and TNT forward do help

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1666
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 5:18:45 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And anyways, these statistics are saying this:

If they scored 5 today, they might score err... 0 on the next match. That is these couple or more counterattacks might not suffice.

Post #: 1667
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 5:24:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

And anyways, these statistics are saying this:

If they scored 5 today, they might score err... 0 on the next match. That is these couple or more counterattacks might not suffice.

Indeed.

But at the same time I would have thought that Swansea would have played defensively when they played Chelsea.

To bad that you have not watched Chelsea this year. An update would have been nice.

Anyway. Thank you for a interesting discussion.

Post #: 1668
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 5:32:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

To be honest, I am not following the Premier League this year. Not even the results

So has Mourinho changed his style? I would be very surprised. Anyway, to me the problem is not the lack of goals. It's the *style* You can have very entertaining games which end 0 - 0.

But if it's the old Mourinho and all his players are still inside the "cave" aka near their GK then I imagine that they can effectively mount a couple or more of counterattacks (90 mn is a lot of time) and score these couple of goals minimum. Again, the dynamite and TNT forward do help
warspite1

TD one thing is clear from these discussions - we are all proper football fans here - so you don't need to repeat the "You can have very entertaining games which end 0-0" line that IS needed for some

I think its difficult - whoever you are - to "park the bus" and then regularly score 2-3 goals a match - which Chelsea are doing.

Mourinho is really irritating at the moment because he's got his "there's a conspiracy against Chelsea" knickers on But the simple fact is, he's bought well (Costa), he quickly gets rid of dross (De Bruyne), and he gets results.

Post #: 1669
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 6:11:05 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

TD one thing is clear from these discussions - we are all proper football fans here - so you don't need to repeat the "You can have very entertaining games which end 0-0" line that IS needed for some

I think its difficult - whoever you are - to "park the bus" and then regularly score 2-3 goals a match - which Chelsea are doing.

Mourinho is really irritating at the moment because he's got his "there's a conspiracy against Chelsea" knickers on But the simple fact is, he's bought well (Costa), he quickly gets rid of dross (De Bruyne), and he gets results.

Hmmm, not necessarily. If you park the bus you concede both the ball and space. The opponent might be imprudent and there you go => dangerous counterattacks

Small teams are more or less forced to do this but (and that's important) they do not have both dynamite and TNT forward but mediocre (with all due respect) players.

The Kings of the few goals aka 1 - 0 or 0 - 1 were the Italians in the early 90s (Arrigo Sacchi's Milan AC IIRC). They deliberately aimed at these results, or if you prefer, when they attained that miserable goal they "killed" the match, did not want a second goal.

Mourinho is a different specimen though. This I know. If his team can bag half dozen goals, perfect! But the plan is the plan. As always, quality is what really matters. And Mourinho has got a lot of that. I mean => BIG budget teams.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1670
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 6:15:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Hmmm, not necessarily. If you park the bus you concede both the ball and space. The opponent might be imprudent and there you go => dangerous counterattacks

Small teams are more or less forced to do this but (and that's important) they do not have both dynamite and TNT forward but mediocre (with all due respect) players.

The Kings of the few goals aka 1 - 0 or 0 - 1 were the Italians in the early 90s (Arrigo Sacchi's Milan AC IIRC). They deliberately aimed at these results, or if you prefer, when they attained that miserable goal they "killed" the match, did not want a second goal.

Mourinho is a different specimen though. This I know. If his team can bag half dozen goals, perfect! But the plan is the plan. As always, quality is what really matters. And Mourinho has got a lot of that. I mean => BIG budget teams.
warspite1

Heehee I think we've been here before

BTW who do you follow?

Post #: 1671
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 6:19:32 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I always liked these three teams (and want them to win): (premier league) Liverpool, (Serie A) Juventus and (La Liga) Barcelona

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1672
RE: European Championships - 1/17/2015 6:20:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Heehee I think we've been here before

Yes, we already argued this to death!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1673
RE: European Championships - 1/18/2015 6:04:57 AM   
warspite1

Oh dear....

...refereeing standards appear to have fallen off a cliff this season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2914845/Worst-decision-Jan-Vertonghen-goal-disallowed-against-Sunderland-despite-receiving-ball-half.html

Post #: 1674
RE: European Championships - 1/18/2015 6:14:42 AM   
Orm

quote:

Oh dear....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2914845/Worst-decision-Jan-Vertonghen-goal-disallowed-against-Sunderland-despite-receiving-ball-half.html

I rather suspect that the standard is as it always has been or even better.

Press are just getting better reporting it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1675
RE: European Championships - 1/18/2015 6:33:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Oh dear....

I rather suspect that the standard is as it always has been or even better.

Press are just getting better reporting it.
warspite1

Not really. There have been a number of pretty major errors this season, calls for some refs to be stood down and for the refs boss to be replaced. With television at every ground and the numbers of cameras increasing there is much more chance of problems being noticed. But that is not what is happening here. This is a particular drop off seen this season and some real howlers being made.

This is a classic example - i.e. the linesman (and the ref who was RIGHT behind Vertonghen) did not miss the incident (they had clear sight), they did not interpret wrongly (typically where an incident happens too quickly) - no, in this case they simply forgot the basic rule that one CANNOT be offside in their own half.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/18/2015 8:22:42 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1676
RE: European Championships - 1/21/2015 5:01:12 PM   
warspite1

After the first leg of the first semi-final last night (Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea), the first game of the second takes place tonight. It's worrying times for us long time followers of Tottenham Hotspur. On paper, two games against League 1(3rd tier) opposition should present no problem. But a) it's Spurs we are talking about, and b) Aston Villa no doubt thought the same when taking on League 2 Bradford City two years ago. Worried.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1677
RE: European Championships - 1/21/2015 8:18:56 PM   
warspite1

Right to be worried - the boys from the red half of Steel City doing themselves proud

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1678
RE: European Championships - 1/21/2015 8:54:57 PM   
warspite1

Mmmmm.... The slenderest of leads to take to Brammall Lane.... 1-0 on the night. Not great.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1679
RE: European Championships - 1/21/2015 9:59:10 PM   
Orm

quote:

Not great.....

Not bad either.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1680
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI