Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/7/2015 3:51:33 PM   
freeboy

Using the editor to creat a what if scenario..
Can I change the pilots available per turn by adding units?

(in reply to 1nutworld)
Post #: 31
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/8/2015 1:42:38 AM   
wags133

During the air phase, I see the "bomb" icon appear when strategic bombing is taken place. In many of the instances, I hear the sound of a camera instead of bombing.

When I see city bombing, that plays the appropriate sound file. My apologies if I am missing the obvious. This game is complex but very enjoyable.

(in reply to 1nutworld)
Post #: 32
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/9/2015 2:35:53 PM   
micheljq

Hello now that the game is out, I saw some interesting AARs.

Are the allies stuck as doing like historically? Can they try other strategies, I give some examples.

Med theater : landing in Greece or Yugoslavia instead, risk a landing in southern France in 1943.

North Sea/Atlantic : land in Brittany, or Pas de Calais, even south like near Bordeaux or La Rochelle. Risk landings in Belgium, Netherlands, Danemark, even Norway (not all at the same time). For example try to retake Narvik to cut the iron ore's shipments in winter, etc.

Or they are stuck at doing Husky in 1943, Normandy landings in 1944.

Thank you, Michel.

< Message edited by micheljq -- 1/9/2015 3:38:33 PM >

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to wags133)
Post #: 33
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/9/2015 4:36:17 PM   
Joel Billings

Depending on the level of detail you are watching, I'm guessing that the sounds can't keep up with the action going on. At the lower detail resolutions you can have a lot happening in a very short amount of time so the sounds can't play fast enough.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to wags133)
Post #: 34
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/9/2015 4:38:56 PM   
Joel Billings

You can pick your invasion spots. However, Greece and Yugoslavia are off limits for ground units in WitW. You can land in Southern France in 43 (assuming you have the air power to take control of the sea area). In the North, you can pick where you land, all the way to Denmark, but Norway is not in play.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 35
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/9/2015 6:11:03 PM   
micheljq

OK thanks for the answer Joel.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 36
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/13/2015 1:10:02 PM   
zoot

I posted this question in the other section. My question is about the level of complexity of this game. I have played War in the East with no problem, except I put the air war on auto and forgot about it, I take it that's not a fgood idea for this game. I am not into deep micro management. Is the level of management in the West the same as in the East or greater?

(in reply to Surtur)
Post #: 37
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/13/2015 1:48:37 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: zoot

I posted this question in the other section. My question is about the level of complexity of this game. I have played War in the East with no problem, except I put the air war on auto and forgot about it, I take it that's not a fgood idea for this game. I am not into deep micro management. Is the level of management in the West the same as in the East or greater?

The complexity of the air war is the hardest thing for me to grasp! If you don't do the air war correctly, you can't be successful. Especially when playing the Allies.

Tony

(in reply to zoot)
Post #: 38
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/13/2015 3:53:30 PM   
Joel Billings

If you put the air war on automatic in War in the East then you are willing to give up some performance for ease of play. The same can be done in WitW. Although air operations are more important than in WitE, we do have the auto AD creation screen that allows you to have the AI set up the air directives for you based on some overall direction you can give with a few mouse clicks. This will get you enough to play the game like you played WitE, although you will suffer a bit more. I found it was not hard to use this auto assist and then make a few small modifications to the ADs to improve them a bit. I think this is all that is necessary in terms of targeting that you would need to do to get to the same level as you did in WitE. I would also suggest you take the time to move your air units on the map as you take (or lose territory). It's more work than moving the airfield counters in WitE, but then you have much less ground forces to move so even if you're occasionally moving the air units you'll have less to do each turn than in WitE. If you really don't want to deal with the air war you can have the AI move your air units. Again, you will suffer some hit in performance, but that's up to you. Against the AI it would be good enough.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to zoot)
Post #: 39
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/13/2015 3:58:08 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

The complexity of the air war is the hardest thing for me to grasp! If you don't do the air war correctly, you can't be successful. Especially when playing the Allies.

While this is true, if all you do is have the AI create your air directives based on your settings in the auto create screen, and then you tweak your ground attack directives to make sure they are flying interdiction over the key parts of the front (and rear area), you will have done enough against the AI. This is not that hard to do in my opinion. Once you know how to adjust an existing air directive, it can take you as little as 1 minute per turn to create and adjust your air directives each turn. The air tutorial videos should help you learn the basics.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 40
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/15/2015 6:49:04 AM   
LaurenHelzog

Could you please tell me where I can find out information about the squares. For instance X = Battalion, XX = Army, XXXX = Field Marshall, etc. Also what the picture is: an oval with a line, an oval shape with an X through it, a rectangle with an X through, etc (these are something like Mechanised, Infantry, Marines, etc). Also what the terrain is: River, Town, City, Rail, Mountains, Swamp.

(in reply to 1nutworld)
Post #: 41
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/15/2015 7:27:16 AM   
Nico165b165

Hello and welcome !

The symbols on units are NATO symbols. Idem for units sizes. One simple place where you can go to learn more about them is here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Military_Symbols_for_Land_Based_Systems

I think every symbol used in the game is on this page with a bit of context.

For the terrain, there is some info at different places in the manual. See 6.2 for the basics about what is what, 15.3.1 for terrain effect on fort level, one page guide 10 in the player's handbook for movement costs...

(in reply to LaurenHelzog)
Post #: 42
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/15/2015 1:41:44 PM   
LaurenHelzog

Thanks for the NATO symbol page. Matrix games Highway to the Reich 2003 on pg 112 and 113 "Annex B Unit Types Key" has some additional ones, for instance Glider arty/mortar and Glider Recon which is a horizontal line in a rectangle which does not touch the left and right sides. Matrix also says Mechanised (Mech) Inf (as well as Mot Inf) although the NATO symbol page does not have Mechanised? Also the Paratrooper symbol seems to have been upgraded to an 'icecream' symbol where in the HTTReich manual it is the number 3 symbol turned 90 degrees to the left. The Mot Arty/Mor and Mot Rocket Launcher also feature 2 dots under the rectangles whereas the NATO pages is a vertical line down the middle of the rectangle, perhaps another upgrade. A bit of confusion but I'm sure War in the West has consistent Unit Types I can look up during the game.

(in reply to Nico165b165)
Post #: 43
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/15/2015 3:03:43 PM   
pmarvin

Just getting into the game...love it. Learning curve is intimidating, but leaves a sense of satisfaction with each level of understanding; and each level brings forth the thought of "Wow...can't believe they incorporated that into the design."
Two probably simple questions: 1. The mouseover function shows a value for "Det", for units, bases, etc. I've word-searched the manual, and don't see that shorthand defined anywhere. What does "Det" mean?
2. Getting font issues, as others are. Can you walk me thru what settings on my computer give the greatest chance of readable text, without "spillover"?

PM

Post #: 44
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/15/2015 3:22:53 PM   
Joel Billings

Det is Detection Level. See section 13.2 in the manual.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 1/15/2015 4:23:42 PM >

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to pmarvin)
Post #: 45
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/15/2015 8:02:56 PM   
Nico165b165

quote:

ORIGINAL: LaurenHelzog

Thanks for the NATO symbol page. Matrix games Highway to the Reich 2003 on pg 112 and 113 "Annex B Unit Types Key" has some additional ones, for instance Glider arty/mortar and Glider Recon which is a horizontal line in a rectangle which does not touch the left and right sides. Matrix also says Mechanised (Mech) Inf (as well as Mot Inf) although the NATO symbol page does not have Mechanised? Also the Paratrooper symbol seems to have been upgraded to an 'icecream' symbol where in the HTTReich manual it is the number 3 symbol turned 90 degrees to the left. The Mot Arty/Mor and Mot Rocket Launcher also feature 2 dots under the rectangles whereas the NATO pages is a vertical line down the middle of the rectangle, perhaps another upgrade. A bit of confusion but I'm sure War in the West has consistent Unit Types I can look up during the game.

Highway to the Reich (HttR) use some smaller scale units : sections, companies, bataillons. WitW has bataillons as support units, then regiments and mainly divisions.

That's why you see more icons in HttR : you have access to smaller mortar, recon... units that are inside the bigger units WitW has.

The NATO symbol page has mechanized infantry. It's hidden in the "common combinations" part. Here's the idea : the symbol is a mixture of the armored symbol and the infantry symbol, because "armored" + "infantry" = "armored infantry" = mechanized.

As a general rule, you can find the unit type in the center of the box, then its size above the type and its locomotion below the type. Those two are optional. In WitW you'll always have the size but I dont think locomotion type appears anywhere.

A bit overwhelming at first, but soon you'll get the hang of the NATO system and it will be like a second nature (next step is you'll go scream on the Paradox forums against the absence of counters in HoI 4. Those who lurk there will understand what I mean )

< Message edited by Nico165 -- 1/15/2015 9:03:42 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/16/2015 10:57:03 AM   
LaurenHelzog

Thanks for getting back Nico165. Yes it does take a while to get up to speed especially using the magnifying glass to study the manual for the unit types, of course there are new ones like the unpiloted symbol. There are also a few combinations you can build into the square, eg, an unmanned anti-aircraft anti-submarine recon 007 amphibious propaganda and personnel carrying vehicle with stealth and radar jamming and mine sweeping ability! And what about an unmanned man?? - CYBORG infantry!!! Having played War in Russia and HttR I'm looking forward to WitW. Just a quick question before I get back to reality, the number of hexes in WitW, it does include the water? The water hexes don't have any strategic value in terms of capturing/owning do they not?

Post #: 47
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/16/2015 11:55:47 AM   
LaurenHelzog

(Profile picture test)

Post #: 48
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/16/2015 5:00:32 PM   
Nico165b165

Waters hexes have no victory points value (use the toggle victory locations button to see where they are in smaller scenarios - in the campaign each city counts, manual 25.1.1), but you can try to "control" them via naval interdiction. he player with the higher interdiction value can block the supply coming to its opponent and cause transport losses.

Post #: 49
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/17/2015 9:19:01 AM   
LaurenHelzog

Ok thanks, So when Matrix Games boast the 36K hexes you'd have to subtract about 5,000 waters?

Post #: 50
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/17/2015 9:45:09 AM   
LiquidSky

I wonder if anyone has figured out the historical rate of victory points gained by the allies. It would help me figure out how hard I have to push a bombing campaign.

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 1/17/2015 10:46:49 AM >

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Post #: 51
RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything - 1/27/2015 9:10:33 PM   
ird

love this idea.....
quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

I wonder if anyone has figured out the historical rate of victory points gained by the allies. It would help me figure out how hard I have to push a bombing campaign.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 52
RE: Bomb Alley - 2/3/2015 1:52:36 AM   
Zee

Where is the "Bomb Alley " scenerio ?

I have been waiting since 1983 for a PC remake of what I consider THE best 2 player campaign (imho) ever . Why has this wonderful campaign been ignored for so long? I like War in the West , War in the East and War in the Pacific ... huge massive

The best part about Bomb Alley or a Knights of the Desert / Bomb Alley hybrid MED / Malta historically accurate remake would be more fun 2 player ... I was hoping for a scenerio in War in the West but....noooo

I played the original Bomb Alley hot seat on the Apple 2 with some of my friends keeping the save game disk in a locked box marked SECRET .

The question is Is a Mediterranean Campaign ever going to be reproduced for the PC?

(in reply to Surtur)
Post #: 53
RE: Bomb Alley - 2/3/2015 8:32:42 AM   
Denniss

We would need a vastly improved naval model to properly simulate ships for these scenario types.

(in reply to Zee)
Post #: 54
RE: Bomb Alley - 2/3/2015 4:11:24 PM   
Zee

Wow Thanks for the answer but the 1983 model for Bomb Alley the game worked well in Dos , simple algebraic computations cannot be reproduced in the current engines ? The AI actually worked well in Bomb Alley ..... I cannot wrap my head around "a vastly improved navel model" when the old one worked fine in Dos .
Maybe someday ....thx

< Message edited by Zee -- 2/3/2015 7:03:11 PM >

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 55
RE: Bomb Alley - 2/3/2015 6:02:55 PM   
warshipbuilder

quote:

We would need a vastly improved naval model to properly simulate ships for these scenario types.

How about this instead, Naval Directives. Just re-work the AD for water. Instead of picking squadrons/groups/gruppe you pick ships instead, then assign them to such things like convoy, task force, shore bombardment or whatever. Then turn them loose and await results just like the AD's. Not a software guru so I have no idea how do-able this is, just a suggestion.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to Zee)
Post #: 56
RE: Bomb Alley - 2/6/2015 2:10:32 AM   
LiquidSky

The rulebook appears to be quiet on this. Where does the supply come from that air transports are flying in the air freight mission? I suspect it comes directly from the airfield but I am not sure that is the case. But I also pretty sure it doesn't come directly out of a national pool as the tonnage flown seems to peter out if I fly multiple flights.

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 2/6/2015 3:10:56 AM >

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: War in the West - Ask us Anything Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI