Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Monsoon yet again!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Monsoon yet again! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Monsoon yet again! - 1/30/2015 7:21:56 PM   
dr.hal

Another Monsoon question, sorry! I'm struggling to get a feel for the areas of the map that are subject to the Monsoon impact (50% base supply flow). I have done a search of the forum and got a lot of hits, such as:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2601303&mpage=1&key=monsoon%2Cseason�

But in truth this begs more confusion. I'm told that the area of impact is "north" of Mandalay, Assam bases and "east" of Terapo (96/127) which is by Port Moresby. Then I read "all of Thailand." This explanation doesn't make sense to me. Has anyone done a screen capture as to the hexes or bases that are subject to this? I realize there has been a number of threads on this subject, but I am still left scratching my head (and no, it's not dandruff). Hal

Post #: 1
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 1/30/2015 7:32:28 PM   
witpqs

This is a quotation that I saved in a text file. I did not think to save attribution with it.
quote:

The monsoon runs from May 15 to Oct 15 and is only for bases that have max draw in Burma and along the India/Burma border.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 2
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 1/30/2015 7:52:09 PM   
dr.hal

Yes I've seen that witpqs, and the dates are spot on, but the 'area' is in contention as I've indicated in my first post. In truth, as all know who have lived or served in the Far East, the monsoons include all of the PI and South East Asia.... So I'm still very confused as to what the game calls the Monsoon Area. Hal

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 1/30/2015 8:03:47 PM   
witpqs

I understood, but that's all I've got. I seem to recall that the real point of the discussion was to establish that bases elsewhere, for example in the Australian Outback, were not subject to the same seasonal restriction. So I know that there is some boundary for the seasonal aspect, and that outside of that area the supply caps are year-round (because the purpose of the monsoon season is to inflict the caps during the monsoon but not the remainder of the year).

Bill or Michael might be able to supply a definitive answer. I can't be sure but it seems this is a tidbit they would be allowed to reveal.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 1/30/2015 8:15:12 PM   
Lowpe

In the weather section of the base report.

It occurs to me that the "monsoons" don't show up in the offseason, so perhaps this doesn't help that much.

Thailand is definitely effected by the monsoon...except for Chumphon and Nakon Si Thammarat.

Pegu and Mergui are also hit by monsoons, but not Toungoo or Tuang Gyi, or Moulmein.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 1/31/2015 2:42:19 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 1/31/2015 2:13:06 AM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

In the weather section of the base report.

I never noticed that before Lowpe, thanks. What port/base was this screen capture taken of and what was the date if you don't mind sharing? Hal

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 1:42:27 AM   
dr.hal

So to rework this thread, there is no defined boundary for the "monsoon" season? Am I right in thinking that the impact is only on city or base hexes? To me it should impact travel and combat in every hex associated with "the area". I've just really never had a feel for what "the area" is!

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 2/4/2015 2:43:56 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 1:47:40 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

So to rework this thread, there is no defined boundary for the "monsoon" season? Am I right in thinking that the impact is only on city or base hexes? To me it should impact travel and combat in every hex associated with "the area". I've just really never had a feel for what "the area" is!

I am sure that there is a defined boundary in the code, I just don't know what it is.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 1:13:00 PM   
dr.hal

Thanks witpqs. If anyone else is reading this thread and has a grand campaign game going that is in Monsoon season (15 may to 15 oct) if you could take the time and document those bases/towns/cities that have the indication of being impacted by the monsoon weather, that would be a start. I've only had one campaign reach that far into '42 but didn't think about doing this (current game is in Jan '42 so it will be a while before I can do it). Additionally if anyone knows the impact upon movement or combat, if any, that would be helpful as well (or are we talking only supply impact here?). Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks in advance. Hal

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 1:18:31 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

You can check the list of bases in the editor - watch out for the checkbox "ME".

Edit: A long time ago I did some testing with supply caps and the ME option. During monsoon season the supply cap was halfed. So in the example above, Bangkok would have a supply cap of 1000 x combined airfield/port/fort size during the dry season but only 500 x combined airfield/port/fort size during monsoon season.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 2/4/2015 2:25:24 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 1:35:42 PM   
crsutton

A hot button for monsoon affected bases would be very nice.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 11
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 2:33:05 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I am sure that there is a defined boundary in the code, I just don't know what it is.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the monsoon is an area effect. My understanding it is that the only effect is that the supply draw into effected bases is halfed for that part of the year. Units in the field will draw what they need, and bases that don't have caps (Prome, Rangoon, and I think Moulmein) are not affected - making them very useful supply hubs (dump supply by sea into Akyab or Ramree, set the spinners all the way up at Prome / Rangoon and they will suck it in).

I didn't know about the "Monsoon" text in the city. I started looking for it in my game, and noticed it was not present in the central basin bases in Burma (Magwe, Mandalay, etc). So the set of bases that have it is smaller than I would have expected.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 4:00:31 PM   
Skyros

This chart may help.Dot basis have a supply of 1,000 until expanded and base names high lighted in tan have no supply cap.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 13
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 4:00:52 PM   
Skyros

part two

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Skyros -- 2/4/2015 5:01:39 PM >

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 14
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 5:12:54 PM   
EHansen

It seems to be dependent on the scenario you are playing. I did a csv extraction for scenario 2 and scenario 28. The lists for ME are quite different.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 15
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 5:30:01 PM   
dr.hal

Thanks LST, below is the list of all ME (monsoon) sites as listed in the editor:

Locations Subject to Monsoon Impact:

COUNTRY TYPE LOCATION
(base = “dot” location)
THAILAND:
Ayuthia AF 51/61
Bangkok BASE 56/62
Chanthaburi BASE 56/65
Chiang Mai AF 58/53
Nakhorn Ratchasima AF 51/70
Patani BASE 51/73
Pisanuloke AF 58/57
Prachuap Khiri Khan BASE 54/64
Rahaeng AF 58/56
Singora BASE 51/72
Surat Thani BASE 51/68
Ubon AF 62/63
Ubon Thani AF 61/59
Uttaradit base 59/56

BURMA:
Akyab BASE 54/45
Bassein AF 54/52
Bhamo base 63/44
Kalemyo base 59/42
Katha base 61/43
Merqui BASE 53/62
Myitkyina AF 64/42
Pegu BASE 55/53
Ramree Island BASE 54/48
Shwebo AF 59/45
Warazup base 63/41

INDIA:
Chittagong BASE 55/41
Comilla AF 56/39
Cox’s Bazar BASE 54/43
Dacca AF 56/38
Dimapur AF 62/38
Imphal AF 60/40
Jorhat AF 63/38
Kohima AF 61/39
Ledo AF 65/38
Rangpur base 58/34

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 16
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 8:22:24 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the monsoon is an area effect. My understanding it is that the only effect is that the supply draw into effected bases is halfed for that part of the year. Units in the field will draw what they need, and bases that don't have caps (Prome, Rangoon, and I think Moulmein) are not affected - making them very useful supply hubs (dump supply by sea into Akyab or Ramree, set the spinners all the way up at Prome / Rangoon and they will suck it in).

I didn't know about the "Monsoon" text in the city. I started looking for it in my game, and noticed it was not present in the central basin bases in Burma (Magwe, Mandalay, etc). So the set of bases that have it is smaller than I would have expected.

I didn't mean to imply that it was an area effect per se. AFAIK it affects only bases. LST has shown that there is a data field for (essentially) monsoon effects = yes/no. The code could still make that only applicable within a certain geographic boundary, I just don't know that answer or what the exact boundary is if it exists.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 17
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/4/2015 9:12:07 PM   
dr.hal

Looks like your list and mine hold up. My formatting didn't carry over when I cut and pasted. I've attached a text file. Hal

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 18
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/5/2015 7:36:30 AM   
adsoul64

Thanks Skyros, both table and notes are very useful.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 19
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/5/2015 5:42:53 PM   
Symon

Yes. Monsoon effect (ME) is a base-loaded attribute. It may be edited up the wazoo.

Monsoon falls within the Malarial Zone. The effects are cumulative. All things considered, the ME attribute is a dash of chrome that allows some data flexibility.

Would have been nice to have 'monsoon' coded into hexes, as was malaria, but you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you'll find, you get what you need.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 20
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/5/2015 6:48:34 PM   
pontiouspilot

great discussion...I never realized how poor my grip on reality was!!

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 21
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/7/2015 10:26:28 AM   
MrBlizzard

Thanks for very interesting explanations on a foggy (to me) subject.
Just one doubt:
What is the "supplies cap"?
Is it the max number of supplies that can be drained by the base in one turn?

< Message edited by MrBlizzard -- 2/7/2015 11:27:05 AM >

Blizzard

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 22
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/7/2015 2:20:51 PM   
dr.hal

Blizzard, I believe it is the supplies the base can pull or push in a day? It also might impact the amount a base can store, but not sure.

Symon, I also wish the season could have been coded into each land hex of the area. The simple fact is that the monsoons impact a LOT more area than the few hexes that are tagged in the editor. It impacts from the Philippines to India and all places in between. In addition, it impacts all aspects of play (although it is nice to see that air operations ARE subject to limitations during that time) from movement to combat. If one wanted to slow the game down to a more realistic pace, during the monsoon months combat and movement outside of main roads/rail would be very restricted. Hal

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 23
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/7/2015 3:31:44 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrBlizzard

Thanks for very interesting explanations on a foggy (to me) subject.
Just one doubt:
What is the "supplies cap"?
Is it the max number of supplies that can be drained by the base in one turn?

The supply cap is the maximum supply that a base can receive in one day from supply movement (meaning for example that airlifts, sea-lifts, etc. do not count toward the cap).

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 24
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/7/2015 3:55:56 PM   
dr.hal

Witpqs when you say "receive" does that also mean "pass through"? I indicated "push or pull" meaning that cap limits how many supply points a base can get in a day or push out along a supply line in a day. Thus "X" amount of supplies can "pass through" a base along a supply line given a certain base's "cap". Is that right? Do you see what I mean?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 25
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/7/2015 4:31:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Witpqs when you say "receive" does that also mean "pass through"? I indicated "push or pull" meaning that cap limits how many supply points a base can get in a day or push out along a supply line in a day. Thus "X" amount of supplies can "pass through" a base along a supply line given a certain base's "cap". Is that right? Do you see what I mean?

As I understand it, they do not model 'passing through'. If a (potential) receiving base (or an LCU) is within range of a (potential) sending base, that base can send supply to that base (or LCU). 'Range' is a function of number of hexes + terrain + roads, et al + hex side ownership + (maybe) hex sides (rivers??) and the cut-off varies by whether that day is for Long Range or Medium Range or Short Range supply pull. And 'Can' does not mean 'will'. They have decision criteria, some of which we know about (but maybe not all details) and maybe some we don't know about. For example, they have told us that if a base does not have 2x monthly need, it will not send supply to other bases, but will send to LCU. If a base is set to 'Stockpile' supply it will not send supply to other bases, but will send to LCU. It is possible that weather plays a role. They have said that some random factor(s) apply, so maybe some particular day when you expect a starving unit to finally get some supply - it won't! And there are losses to supply that is moved (I don't recall what they've told us in the manual or the forums on that).

The cap, so far as they have told us, limits the amount which that base can receive in a day. There is no concept of 'passing through' AFAIK.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 26
RE: Monsoon yet again! - 2/7/2015 5:14:31 PM   
dr.hal

Ok, thanks. And yes there is attrition to supply along the route, the more efficient the route (the higher movement rate), the less attrition.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Monsoon yet again! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI