Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/8/2015 1:16:45 PM   
Breet

The name wasn't a big issue I only noticed it cause I kept getting production stalled messages, but I was looking at the wrong Ker'rat system xD. (Seems borg start off really rough, going to set everything auto later on and see how the AI goes)

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 91
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/8/2015 4:02:35 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Such a shame that you can't easily go in and edit out the extra planet. We need a scenario editor :-)

As one of the beta testers, Ehsumrell1, do you have any ideas about whether they might look into improving this side of the game?

Osito

I'm MOST DEFINITELY going to ask Elliot to have that high on the list for DW 2. I'll even
inquire if he can quite possibly patch Universe's game editor as it stands. I would just
LOVE to be able to edit/initially create nebula names (Briar Patch, Neutral Zone, Barzan's
Nebula, etc.) and map areas for more canon-accurate mapping and immersion.

(Beware though Osito, if that does happen, you're going to be kidnapped, a hood placed over
your head, traveled a great distance, and when the hood is removed you'll be in a room with
the "Trek Team"! LOL!)

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 92
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/8/2015 7:03:18 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Such a shame that you can't easily go in and edit out the extra planet. We need a scenario editor :-)

As one of the beta testers, Ehsumrell1, do you have any ideas about whether they might look into improving this side of the game?

Osito

I'm MOST DEFINITELY going to ask Elliot to have that high on the list for DW 2. I'll even
inquire if he can quite possibly patch Universe's game editor as it stands. I would just
LOVE to be able to edit/initially create nebula names (Briar Patch, Neutral Zone, Barzan's
Nebula, etc.) and map areas for more canon-accurate mapping and immersion.

(Beware though Osito, if that does happen, you're going to be kidnapped, a hood placed over
your head, traveled a great distance, and when the hood is removed you'll be in a room with
the "Trek Team"! LOL!)

Sounds like a holiday ;-)

Is Elliot still with Matrix? Haven't seen a post from him on DW for ages, but I appreciate there are probably plenty of other things he's doing.

Osito

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 93
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 12:23:47 AM   
ehsumrell1

Not sure what Elliot is up to. Relaxing a bit in Bora Bora for a little longer if I was him.
Nevertheless though, even if I knew exactly, I'd respect his privacy. I'm sure all is well
and he is most likely diagramming and planning his next move concerning DW and spending
time with his family.

I know him and Erik are in touch because of the info received about Lonnie's passing in
December. So I'm sure Erik would let us know if something was amiss! These are just my
personal opinions though.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 94
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 3:38:01 AM   
Elrohir525

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Thanks for the kind words and compliment Elrohir525!
Yes, not all of the 30 races have a race/species specific wonder tied to them. But there are other
combinations of resources and character skills, traits and events that help balance out those that
don't.

As far as getting declared war on by the Borg, two things;

1. It's quite possible (and probable) that either a.) one of YOUR explorerships, or one of your allies
(who's makeup may have a colony with some of your empire's folks on it ~ check top of diplomacy screen)
ran across a planet with a Borg 'war-activating' event.

2. One of your ships inadvertently either crossed into a Borg sphere of influence, or was spotted and
scanned by a Borg advance scout vessel (Borg explorership) ~ {could be how you know they are at the other
side of the galaxy, or did one of your spies get detected? The Borg Queen just DETESTS spies)

Two other things, if the Borg have declared war on you, and they have researched and retrofitted their cubes
with their Trans-warp Drive, you better have Long Range Scanner tech.

The other and final thing....RUN!

Yes, I think you're right, ehsumrell1! One of my explorers did stumble upon them. We'll see how that turns out...
I thought I'd provide a bit more feedback, if I may, regarding the Tech tree. I've noticed that the text for both Advanced Fleet Countermeasures and Advanced Fleet Targeting indicates that they give 0% bonuses. Also, the research costs for the disruptor series of weapons seems to drop off as the technologies become more advanced. While Nadion Megajule Theory II has a project size of 1640K, the next more advanced projects cost only 308K (instead of the usual 3280K at that tier) and then 410K (rather than 6560K).
Still enjoying an excellent game!

< Message edited by Elrohir525 -- 2/9/2015 4:38:59 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 95
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 5:21:37 AM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Elrohir525;

Concerning feedback on our mod, it is appreciated. All opinions are valid.

I'm not going to spend time on a full explanation, but as I've stated quite a few times before,
our mod of 30 races has a very delicate play balance where if the right situations occur any
of the races could achieve a victory using their set victory conditions. This can occur in any
of the game playstyles. It is much harder for the minor races to win than the others, but due to
certain tweaks in component values and strengths, race-specific wonders, research costs, characters
and race-specific weaponry and equipment, it can happen.
(Concerning the disruptor weapons, there are two different types, Nadion [Types I & II] and Hadron
[Pulse & Heavy Pulse] thus the difference in cost. The Fleet Countermeasures and Tracking is
set that way for balance due to certain races not being able to use them. The next researched project
for both has the enhancement.)

Remember also, as I've said before as well, that our mod not only was developed to be playable in
many playstyles, but also had to be developed to do so within the constraints of the Distant Worlds
game logic and dynamics. So yes, there are quite a few things that you'll see that doesn't seem to
'fit the norm'. Again, I'll repeat our Trek Team logic: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of
the few...or the one
!"

Glad to see you're enjoying the game...and good luck with those Borg!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 2/9/2015 6:51:30 AM >

(in reply to Elrohir525)
Post #: 96
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 7:14:24 AM   
Aedaric

Any chance I can get some advice on why I can't seem to fulfill my own fleet fuel requirements? I'll admit I'm fairly new to the entire DW Universe, however, going off both the original game and both Trek lore, I'm still having all of my ships fly off stupid distances to the Bajorans in order to refuel! At the start of the game I'll immediately throw down two to three mining stations on helium sources--still have my fleets fly away. Next game I'll instead immediately throw down mining stations on dilithium crystal sources--and again, all my ships fly off again. The galactopedia states the fuel requirement is helium...so I'm at a loss as to why when I had four helium mining stations, and two of them inside Sol. >.> I understand I have a lot to learn, but even when everything is set to Auto the AI isn't figuring it out so I have to step in and fix it somehow.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 97
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 8:14:20 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aedaric

Any chance I can get some advice on why I can't seem to fulfill my own fleet fuel requirements? I'll admit I'm fairly new to the entire DW Universe, however, going off both the original game and both Trek lore, I'm still having all of my ships fly off stupid distances to the Bajorans in order to refuel! At the start of the game I'll immediately throw down two to three mining stations on helium sources--still have my fleets fly away. Next game I'll instead immediately throw down mining stations on dilithium crystal sources--and again, all my ships fly off again. The galactopedia states the fuel requirement is helium...so I'm at a loss as to why when I had four helium mining stations, and two of them inside Sol. >.> I understand I have a lot to learn, but even when everything is set to Auto the AI isn't figuring it out so I have to step in and fix it somehow.

Hello Aedaric;
Sorry but you seem to be confused. You need to be mining for either Caslon and/or Hydrogen
for fuel. The Galactopedia (Star Trek The Picard Era mod version) still states those two gases are needed
as fuel, which when combined with Dilithium Crystals and other elements create warp energy. Build mines
on Caslon and Hydrogen sources and you'll do much better. Below is the excerpt from the Galactopedia fuel
page with the aforementioned information encircled.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 98
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 8:39:51 AM   
zoommooz11

Not sure if this is an oversight/planned thing but:

Playing as the Fed I cannot research stealth (which makes perfect sense, as I assume you have tied cloaking with stealth in a 'close as possible' solution). However, there are quite a few scanner techs and components that rely on stealth tech as their parent techs which I would have thought the Fed should have access to. In my own game I made 'Deep Space Array' & Directional Jump Sequence require parent 200 (Advanced scanners) rather then the 207 (Stealth).

Cheers

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 99
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 2:14:57 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: zoommooz11

Not sure if this is an oversight/planned thing but:

Playing as the Fed I cannot research stealth (which makes perfect sense, as I assume you have tied cloaking with stealth in a 'close as possible' solution). However, there are quite a few scanner techs and components that rely on stealth tech as their parent techs which I would have thought the Fed should have access to. In my own game I made 'Deep Space Array' & Directional Jump Sequence require parent 200 (Advanced scanners) rather then the 207 (Stealth).

Cheers

Planned that way.

Respectfully provided, the following statement concerning our mod for the "nth time".

Remember also, as I've said before as well, that our mod not only was developed to be playable in
many playstyles, but also had to be developed to do so within the constraints of the Distant Worlds
game logic and dynamics. So yes, there are quite a few things that you'll see that doesn't seem to
'fit the norm'. Again, I'll repeat our Trek Team logic: "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of
the few
...or the one!"

(in reply to zoommooz11)
Post #: 100
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 3:57:22 PM   
TheSAguy

I'm playing the Scenario as the Borg and just wanted to say I'm having a blast!

I died about 4 times at the hands of the Romulans, before I got a game where I was as diplomatic as possible, giving them vast amounts of bribes until I got my tech up to defend myself.

Having a lot of fun, Thanks for your great work on this mod.

One Question, is return of the Shakturi part of the Scenario?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 101
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 4:31:24 PM   
Aedaric

When it comes to the Empire Policy, what is "your" recommendation when it comes to upgrading your ships. Being a newcomer to the series, I finally am getting a grasp on many of the basic mechanics and realizing I typed Helium last night and not Hydrogen I feel like a dimwit, but alas it was very late for me and my empire was experiencing a drastic Helium shortage in building supplies.

So, what do you recommend when it comes to ship design upgrading?

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 102
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 4:40:16 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSAguy

I'm playing the Scenario as the Borg and just wanted to say I'm having a blast!

I died about 4 times at the hands of the Romulans, before I got a game where I was as diplomatic as possible, giving them vast amounts of bribes until I got my tech up to defend myself.

Having a lot of fun, Thanks for your great work on this mod.

One Question, is return of the Shakturi part of the Scenario?

Glad you're enjoying the fruits of our labor TheSAguy!
The storyline in included in the scenario but the Shakturi and Mechanoids are not active.
I plan to have both options in the upcoming 700 star mappack I'm working on for future release
(PLEASE readers, no "when will it be ready" bombardments!)

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 103
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 6:56:02 PM   
Aedaric

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if DW:U is set up to use more than 4 GB's of memory? I just received a crash error when the game was attempting to save with the first few lines being:

Distant Worlds could not save this game.

Error:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

And..yea, still have 240 Gb's free on the SSD as well as running a system with 32 GB's of RAM.

The rest of the error literally was a wall of text that filled the entire screen and went off of the screen, to the point where I was unable to see or click on the "Okay, cancel." or whatever options were available to me. I could only click on the X in the top right. If anyone wants a screenshot of the error, PM me. I could also likely find the crash-dump if the game provides one.

This was the sixth time the game has crashed. = P

< Message edited by Aedaric -- 2/9/2015 8:20:30 PM >

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K - 4.9GHz
RAM: 32GB Dual-Channel DDR3 - 799MHz
MB: ASUSTeK Z87-PRO
GPU: 3GB NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti (EVGA)
HDD: 698GB Samsung SSD 840
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 104
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 7:37:02 PM   
ravincravin

Aedaric - Here is the system specs I got off Steam:

System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: Pentium 4 @1.5 GHz

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Graphics: minimum 1024 x 768 resolution, 32 bit

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 1 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible

Additional Notes: Requires Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer

Recommended:

Processor: Dual Core CPU @ 2.0 GHz

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: minimum 1024 x 768 resolution, 32 bit

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 1 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible

Additional Notes: Requires Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer

From appearances you surpass those specs. There is a crash dump file at:

Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe

called DW CrashDump.txt. It only saves the most recent crash dump.

I don't think your problem is due to the mod. You might want to check this forum for "Out of Memory" crashes. I'm afraid this might be a problem for Elliot, the designer of DWU.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ravincravin -- 2/9/2015 8:39:31 PM >

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 105
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 8:11:01 PM   
Aedaric

Oh, I don't think it's the mod either. But typically those of us who like to change and modify our games are more likely to have also changed other things as well. It's been so long since I've had to apply a patch to a game in order to allow it to use more than 4GB's of memory. The search of these forums was a bit weird pulling up discussions that told people to change their operating system and nonsense. The only other one similar never had any closure.

I'm certain my computer is above the "Recommended specs" for this game, I haven't bothered with minimum specs in over 10 years, = P These days it's waiting around for nVidia to get their arse in gear and update their drivers for their latest video cards.

(in reply to ravincravin)
Post #: 106
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 8:46:50 PM   
ravincravin

Yeah it looks like you got a "Gamers Dream System".

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help to you. I hope this isn't a constant problem and you are getting some saves to stick.

Personally I micromanage ship design and retrofits. My only help on ship design is to get a bigger stick faster then the bad guys. You might want to follow ehsumrell1's recommendation and set up you freighters to use caslon and your military to use Hydrogen. (see his post above)

Enjoy. Live long & prosper.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ravincravin -- 2/9/2015 9:51:40 PM >

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 107
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 9:25:06 PM   
Aedaric

You and everyone else here have been great! Several saves have worked and it's likely just a memory leak in the program at an inordinate amount of gameplay or savegames--I save myself every 10 minutes or so and then the game also autosaves.

Grrr--Did you hard code in the inability to open trade with the Romulans?! Now why in the world would you do that! I've bribed them enough to buy out their entire assembly. lol

Loving the mod so far and thank you again.

Post #: 108
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 10:32:25 PM   
ravincravin

Aedaric You're lucky to have a solid state drive because it takes me a long time to save my game. I wonder if your drive may be causing your save problems?

I don't know who you're playing but some races will not enter into a trade agreement with certain races. It's how ehsumrell1 coded in allegiances. He's the one that can shed more light on that topic. He should be checking in soon and I'm checking out for now.

Have fun.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 109
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/9/2015 11:04:56 PM   
Aedaric

Ahh, yea, sorry, forgot to mention playing as the Federation. And it makes sense having hard coded blocked trade situations.

Post #: 110
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/11/2015 3:00:25 PM   
dejagore

Many thanks for the hard work to ehsumrell1 and the whole Trek Team. Just want to ask if there is included in the mod any sort of similar idea that Icemania did in AI Improvement Mod ? By that I mean any ship and base design templates that would help AI to be able to compete with Human.

(in reply to Aedaric)
Post #: 111
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/11/2015 4:08:57 PM   
ravincravin

Hi Ya dejagore,

There are many races in the mod with there own ship/base templates not to mention race specific research options. I'm sure they are beneficial to the AI to a certain degree. Due to the nature of AI it can never match the intelligence with a human. But rest assured it will give you a run for your money. Not to mention, ehsumrell1 has also coded in race specific events in the mod map scenario.

Enjoy, Live long & Prosper.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ravincravin -- 2/11/2015 5:20:25 PM >

(in reply to dejagore)
Post #: 112
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/12/2015 6:21:40 PM   
Nyku

am I allowed to re-upload on uploaded.net once I finally got it finished with mediafire?

Post #: 113
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/12/2015 7:49:00 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nyku

am I allowed to re-upload on uploaded.net once I finally got it finished with mediafire?

Hello Nyku;

As long as you remain responsible for the site's TOS (Terms Of Service) wherever you upload
our mod, I have no problem with it. Be aware though, that some sites will remove mods that
have copyrighted material in it, which our mod does. I have received the written permissions
I needed for both the copyrighted materials and the artistic credits used in our mod and I
have responsibility for those due to the mod being hosted on my personal business accounts.

It would be much better for you to just put up the forwarding link from MediaFire.

But if your intentions are to modify our theme in any way, then uploading it to 'wherever'
site, we would take issue with that.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 2/12/2015 8:50:17 PM >

(in reply to Nyku)
Post #: 114
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/12/2015 7:55:54 PM   
ravincravin

Nyku, you can download the Star Trek, the Picard Era mod as many times as you like on Mediafire. I don't understand what you are trying to upload or know what uploaded.net link is? Please clarify your post. NEVERMIND this post-ehsumrell1 beat me to the punch and answered your question.

< Message edited by ravincravin -- 2/12/2015 9:01:56 PM >

(in reply to Nyku)
Post #: 115
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/12/2015 10:19:33 PM   
tjhkkr

Job well done, Ed, congratulations to you and your team.

I still say Luxuna Troi should be a weapon of Mass Destruction -- but I know you could not follow all of my suggestions.
Well done!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 116
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/13/2015 12:24:45 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Job well done, Ed, congratulations to you and your team.

I still say Luxuna Troi should be a weapon of Mass Destruction -- but I know you could not follow all of my suggestions.
Well done!

Thanks for the kind words TJ!

I did consider your request, but Deanna would have gotten upset. Just FYI, I did tweak her stats as an
Ambassador though in honor of your suggestion.

By the way, as mentioned in the credits, thank you for all the early assistance and support you
gave Igard and I, 'in the beginning' of all this.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 117
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/13/2015 8:11:13 AM   
Nyku

To clarify: My intention was offering a second download ressource solely for convenience. My mediafire download took ages with speed ranging from 50kb/s to 200kb/s. My hope is, that the free downloading via uploaded.net is faster - or that people have an account to download it at the maximum speed their internet connection offers.

My download even errored a couple of times and stopped when done via browser and I had to use a download manager (jdownloader) to get it done.

It might be an issue of being in germany and downloading from wherever mediafire servers are located... nevertheless I wanted to offer uploading on a second source if ever anyone encounters the same problems.

If this is an issue of copyright I won't upload, because I don't want to be responsible for any misuse and/or copyright violation that's been done with files downloaded from my uploaded.net account. Unless, of course, a permission in this thread is enough to upload it safely. And that's why I asked in the first place.

< Message edited by Nyku -- 2/13/2015 9:12:37 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 118
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/13/2015 9:00:42 AM   
ravincravin

Hi Nyku, what you are proposing is what Knickers did (see page 2 of this forum). Not only did ehsumrell1 allow that but was appreciative of it.

I can't speak for ehsumrell1, but I would expect he would not object to your efforts.

Enjoy, Live long & prosper.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nyku)
Post #: 119
RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod ... - 2/13/2015 9:17:24 AM   
Nyku

Oh I'm sorry. I did not notice the post on page 2 despite skimming the thread.
Well I'm just gonna wait for an official answer and maybe upload this evening (it's 11:15am here ^^)

< Message edited by Nyku -- 2/13/2015 10:17:34 AM >

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI