Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Copple questions reggarding modding

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Copple questions reggarding modding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 8:58:56 AM   
GalaxyCreator

Hello community,

I've just a week ago started working on my custom build galaxy map, reflecting our Milky Way Galaxy. The map features 5.000+ handplaced Stars, as well as 1.000+ diverse ressources. All races from all DLC's are supported. Also, the map comes with a real nice star map background. However, I have a copple of questions about things to Mod.

1. Modding Stars:

In particular I want to add blue giants, multiple star systems, as well as Quarzar's, Brown Dwarfs and pretty much all other possible variations of stars. Unfortunately the Mod Tutorial says you can't Mod Stars. What does that exactly mean? Are Stars and their looks hardcoded into the .exe? Or is there a way to add new stars and the tutorial just won't tell it?

2. Modding Races:

Which files exactly need to be modified to add a new race?

3. Re-Randomize ressources (not planets, race start colonies and dust clouds) possible?

4. How important are the ressources: ruins, creatures, renegade race factions, pirates, indpendend races? Do you need them ingame, or can they be neglected? Is there a random recreation in game? So that pirates or ruins get automatically placed?

5. How important are events. Is there a random recreation in game?

Edit: Here's a little teaser for the map...

Rofl...I can't add links...I'm sorry.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GalaxyCreator -- 1/23/2015 11:24:40 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 10:43:59 AM   
feygan

You can change how stars look by fiddling with the image files for stars, this has been done to improve the looks of stars in a couple of mods. You can use the same method for adding something like blue/green stars etc. As far as I know though everything else about them is hard coded and cannot be altered other than the basic changes you make with the in game editor such as size etc.

(in reply to GalaxyCreator)
Post #: 2
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 2:23:12 PM   
Japhet

Try this thread for advice about modding and adding races:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3662698&mpage=1&key=�

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 3
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 5:43:41 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello GalaxyCreator, and welcome to the DW forums!

Fantastic idea you have. A word of caution though, from my experience and also from another forum
member Osito (who also built a large galaxy map), if I recall correctly, any starmap with over
1,400 star placements will eventually (sometimes immediately) crash the game. This is due to
some of the Galaxy Creation hard-coding in the DW executable file. Hopefully Osito will see
this thread and comment upon this subject. Or, better yet, look him up in the members listing
and send him a PM. Of the people that I know that have DW map-building experience with any success
outside of myself, he would be the guru of choice in my opinion. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

See his map mod thread here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3656168

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Post #: 4
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 6:38:43 PM   
GalaxyCreator

Thanks for all the answers.

Unfortunately this forum makes it impossible for me to answer, unless I've spend 7 days in this forum, so bear with me.

Can I have more detail on this star limit issue?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 5
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 6:57:15 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalaxyCreator

Thanks for all the answers.

Unfortunately this forum makes it impossible for me to answer, unless I've spend 7 days in this forum, so bear with me.

Can I have more detail on this star limit issue?

What I can tell you is that the map size in the game is set up by the galaxy size/shape/configuration settings
during the new game start process. You set the size and number of stars, 700, 1000, etcetera.
Yes you can add/create more via the game editor, but eventually it will crash due to being over the limit.
Just like the fact that you have limits on the number of resources, research projects, and so on.
As I stated before, read Osito's thread concerning this matter via the link shown in my previous post.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 1/23/2015 7:59:07 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 8:31:11 PM   
Osito

Thank you for the compliment Ehsumrell1 :-) Now get back to the Star Trek mod!

To the OP, Ehsumrell1 is right about the galaxy size. In my own map I originally had about 2000 stars, but the game kept crashing. The only way I could find to fix this problem was to reduce the number of stars to below 1400, from which I inferred that it was the number of stars which was causing the problem.

Note that the game doesn't crash immediately, which might lead you to believe you're not experiencing the problem. In my play tests, I found the crash would usually occur 20-30 hours in, but sometimes it was over 40 hours in. Given that DW games can easily go on for that long, the crashes cannot be ignored.

I don't know how far you've got, so apologies if you already know this, but you'll find that the only way to get races to start at a particular homeworld is to do the map as a scenario. However, if you do that, the scenario won't load into other themes. So, I did four scenarios for my own map, two for the default theme, and two for Haree78's 'Extended' theme. You can load the map into other themes (except that some themes will conflict with it), but you either have to redo the scenarios, or the races will not start at their homeworld.

Overall, I think that editing maps is not very well supported in DWU, and it is an immense pain to set up everything exactly how you want it. I think it may take a DW2 to get these problems addressed.

Anyway, good luck with the endeavour!

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 1/23/2015 9:38:46 PM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 7
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/23/2015 10:05:45 PM   
GalaxyCreator

I've got 8 hours stable running. Saving a game takes longer and longer. Combined all races and their exploration, I'm now far beyond 3.000+ explored Star Systems by all races. I can't the say the game runs slower, just the saving/loading times. I'm using a thirtee minutes auto save cycle. Here's a screenshot...by the end of the next week I think I will no if such a huge map is stable running.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 8
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/24/2015 7:48:03 AM   
GalaxyCreator

Ok, so I've tested some more hours, and apart from the game loading and saving there doesn't seem to be any flaw. However, since I figured a way how to remove Nebulae (the black clouds in galaxy view), and with your recent input of the star limit crash, I decided a recreation. I'll keep the 4.000 (correction after I actually tried counting the numbers) star map as well as the 15 hours savegame, for anyone willing to furtherly test it, and will release it together with my new efforts, once I'm allowed to add links into threads.

For anyone asking how I removed Nebulae? Use Gimp (or Photoshop or whatever) to lower the opacity of the Nebulae .png's. This will only work in the vanilla folder, not inside a customization folder. Btw. why does editing the Game.txt not work. I'm trying to rename Nebula designations, like Arm, Cloud or Expanse.

Post #: 9
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/24/2015 10:28:16 AM   
Osito

I have to stress that the game will often take more than 15 hours before it crashes. I was usually getting a crash in the 20-30 hour range, but it was totally unpredictable. Incidentally, the way I did the test, was to set everything on automatic and let the game play itself. That way you can leave the game running itself all day or night and come back to it later. I ran many tests on my map and 1400+ star maps always crashed eventually. Obviously, I cannot be absolutely sure that it was the number of stars causing it, but the crashes stopped when I reduced the number of stars. It's always possible it was a memory problem I suppose, but I was using 16 MB RAM, which is more than many will use.

Osito

Post #: 10
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/27/2015 5:42:09 PM   
GalaxyCreator

Please, can anybody show me a legit way how to remove Nebula caption?

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 11
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 1/28/2015 10:30:10 AM   
Osito

quote:

Please, can anybody show me a legit way how to remove Nebula caption?

As far as I'm aware, you can't. Yep, I agree it's annoying.

You can stop them appearing in the game settings for each specific game, but that also stops certain other things appearing like the galactic grid.

Osito

Post #: 12
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/7/2015 5:35:52 PM   
GalaxyCreator

Thought I'd just add some new screens on my modding/mapping progress, showing the new galaxy and 5 of 15 new races.

Edit: Ok, so no screens regarding races due to forum limits.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GalaxyCreator -- 2/7/2015 6:40:05 PM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 13
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/7/2015 5:52:15 PM   
Bingeling

You can use a photo site and link with image tags. I have a free photobucket account for my AARs.

Post #: 14
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/14/2015 10:41:46 AM   
GalaxyCreator

Ok, so I have everything set up, only need to make ten posts and then wait for another week, so I can provide a release thread. Gives me one more week to test the Mod...:D

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 15
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/14/2015 10:43:53 AM   
GalaxyCreator

Shameless double post.

Post #: 16
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/14/2015 10:46:03 AM   
GalaxyCreator

Shameless tripple post.

Post #: 17
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/14/2015 10:51:19 AM   
GalaxyCreator

This ten post and 7 days limit is pretty much the single most annoying thing I've ever witnessed in any forums. I'm not harmful, why the restrictions...-.-

Post #: 18
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/14/2015 11:00:43 AM   
Osito

Note (in case you weren't aware of this) that you won't be able to upload the map to the forum, as you'll exceed the upload size limit, so you'll need to have the d/l hosted elsewhere.

Osito

Post #: 19
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/14/2015 11:53:48 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

This ten post and 7 days limit is pretty much the single most annoying thing I've ever witnessed in any forums. I'm not harmful, why the restrictions...-.-

Hello GalaxyCreator;
Sorry that the Forum rules annoy you. The reason is that those rules seriously reduce (almost
eliminating
) "spambotting". Our forum was hit by spambots (both intentionally and unintentionally
by members who inadvertently got infected) on an almost regular basis until the current rules
were put into effect. There is, unfortunately no way to determine that you, or any other new
user, are harmless. It is just a precaution and preventative method.

Post #: 20
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/17/2015 12:23:52 PM   
GalaxyCreator

I understand there's spambotting, but there's forum methods available to deal with the problem in a more convenient way for users. All I'm saying here...:D

I just recently experience a bug where all races, except the player race, seem to have an incredible amount of influence (empire spread) at the start of a new game. Anyone ever experienced something similar and knows how to fix it?

Ediz: Oh, btw., is there also a recommended limit for how many races (including major races, passive races and pirate races)to be used?

< Message edited by GalaxyCreator -- 2/17/2015 1:39:48 PM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 21
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/17/2015 5:08:49 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

I understand there's spambotting, but there's forum methods available to deal with the problem in a more convenient way for users. All I'm saying here...:D

I just recently experience a bug where all races, except the player race, seem to have an incredible amount of influence (empire spread) at the start of a new game. Anyone ever experienced something similar and knows how to fix it?

Ediz: Oh, btw., is there also a recommended limit for how many races (including major races, passive races and pirate races)to be used?

Concerning empire influence, that is a setting designated during game start up. The 3rd screen if I recall
correctly.

Concerning the race limits, at last mention, Elliot stated that up to 50 races should be viable without causing
any problems. I know that there are mods that have more than that, and you would have to speak to those mod
authors to see if there are any issues over that amount.

Post #: 22
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/21/2015 2:56:45 PM   
GalaxyCreator

I'm serious here. Get rid of this stupid 7 day limit that simply exists because you're to lazy to probarly administrate your forums, but yet want to benefit from the community modding efforts in order to fix your games. I've spend like 100 hours for this game, and now I'm still blocked from doing anything at all.

I'm doing Mods for a whole lot of games, so I know my way around, and this is just completely detterent to anyone wanting to contribute anything to a community. So I think it'S the best idea to quite and not waste any more energy to anyone except me, if not even the administration cares to tease their userbase.

How ****ing exhausting is it to delete a bot post in comparison to the efforts a modder has?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 23
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/21/2015 3:57:57 PM   
Osito

Is your complaint that you're still unable to make the post you want to make, or is it just a general complaint about the forum rules?

If the former, then there's something gone wrong somewhere, as you're now way past the 7 days or 10 days or whatever it is, since you joined on 23 January.

If the latter, well, ok, it's an irritation, but it's not that big a deal (in my opinion, anyway).

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 2/21/2015 8:40:36 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: Copple questions reggarding modding - 2/23/2015 7:15:55 PM   
GalaxyCreator

I'm completely ok with the forum rules, there's nothing to complain about. But the restrictions enforced to new users are just useless, unless you've imported them because of administration convenience only.

I was trying the 4th time to post a new Mod thread, but the forum simply doesn't allow, despite me having made more then ten posts and after 7 days.

Edit: However, it's working now, so no need for further rants.

< Message edited by GalaxyCreator -- 2/23/2015 8:18:24 PM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Copple questions reggarding modding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI