Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/31/2015 6:30:33 PM   
wodin

Just ordered.

Imperial Germany's Iron Regiment of the First World War: War Memories of Service With Infantry Regiment 169 - 1914/1918 by Rieth, John K

The Larks: Wars are fought by ordinary people by Shaw, Jem

The German Army in the Spring Offensives 1917: Arras, Aisne and Champagne Hardcover by Jack Sheldon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0692301208?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1484060830?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1783463457?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The Imperial Germany Iron Regiment book looks excellent. Jack Sheldons new book keeps me up wih the amazing series that all military history lovers must have.

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/1/2015 1:21:14 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 1441
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/31/2015 8:08:22 PM   
warspite1

Hitler's U-boat War Volume II (Blair) turned up yesterday - typical II arrived before I

Never mind - gives me a bit longer to finish off the last few chapters on Chamberlain and appeasement policy and then its back to sea - hopefully with Volume I to hand!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1442
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/2/2015 8:29:06 PM   
warspite1

Mmmmm Volume I still awaited and I have finished Chamberlain and Appeasement

Got to say, anyone interested in the build up to the war should have a read of this book. Difficult to argue with the writer's conclusions.

What I really liked though was that, in coming to the conclusion that the revisionist view of Chamberlain was wrong - the author was very measured, very fair, in his assessment of Chamberlain's actions; it was no character assassination.

Thoroughly recommended.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1443
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/2/2015 8:44:40 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Mmmmm Volume I still awaited and I have finished Chamberlain and Appeasement

Got to say, anyone interested in the build up to the war should have a read of this book. Difficult to argue with the writer's conclusions.

What I really liked though was that, in coming to the conclusion that the revisionist view of Chamberlain was wrong - the author was very measured, very fair, in his assessment of Chamberlain's actions; it was no character assassination.

Thoroughly recommended.

I'll add it to my list at once. Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1444
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/5/2015 1:07:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Hitler's U-boat War Volume II (Blair) turned up yesterday - typical II arrived before I

Never mind - gives me a bit longer to finish off the last few chapters on Chamberlain and appeasement policy and then its back to sea - hopefully with Volume I to hand!
warspite1

Volume I arrived today. Wow I am really looking forward to diving (sorry) into these! Why did I not splash out on these books sooner?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1445
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/5/2015 1:26:19 PM   
Orm

I got a couple of books today as well.

Genombrottet : Operation Cerberus, 1942 by Michael Tamelander and Jonas Hård af Segerstad and The Ardennes 1944-1945 by Christer Bergström.

I am looking forward to reading both of them but I am way behind in my reading as it is.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ardennes-1944-1945-Christer-Bergstrom/dp/1612002773/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423146014&sr=1-1

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1446
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/5/2015 1:44:44 PM   
warspite1

Please let me know what you think of Cerberus.

With hindsight its such a shame the British didn't just let them go and not try and intercept. It would have saved a load of lives and after all, as Napoleon once said:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1447
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/5/2015 1:48:10 PM   
Ostwindflak

The wife and I made a trip to the bookstore last weekend and I picked up three new books.

1. The Rise and Fall of the British Empire: covers the empire from 1600-1995.

2. Obedient Unto Death: a first hand account of a Panzer-Grenadier who served with the Waffen SS L.A.H. Division.

3. Stopping the Panzers: The Untold Story of D-Day: about how the Canadian Army was trained, equipped, and why the beach they landed on was so important; specifically to stop any counter-attacks made by the Panzer Divisions.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1448
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/5/2015 2:43:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

The wife and I made a trip to the bookstore last weekend and I picked up three new books.

1. The Rise and Fall of the British Empire: covers the empire from 1600-1995.

warspite1

If that is the Lawrence James book - then this is a very good read

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/5/2015 3:43:59 PM >

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 1449
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/5/2015 6:53:33 PM   
Ostwindflak

@ Warspite1,

Yes it is indeed the book by Lawrence James. Glad to hear it is a very good read as that statement alone should validate my purchase.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1450
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/9/2015 3:31:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Volume I arrived today. Wow I am really looking forward to diving (sorry) into these! Why did I not splash out on these books sooner?

warspite1

I began reading this over the weekend. From reading most of the Prologue I have to say this is going to be one stonking good read

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1451
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/9/2015 3:38:03 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

I began reading this over the weekend. From reading most of the Prologue I have to say this is going to be one stonking good read

I recently read that the German U-boats used Spanish ports. If you have any more information about this I would be grateful to hear about it. Or maybe the U-boat books mention it?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1452
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/9/2015 3:54:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

I recently read that the German U-boats used Spanish ports. If you have any more information about this I would be grateful to hear about it. Or maybe the U-boat books mention it?
warspite1

I will let you know as and when I get through the book. I just did a quick scan of the index for Spain or Ferrol but did not see anything.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1453
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/14/2015 8:15:36 PM   
Hotschi

Finished Jungle Soldier: The True Story of Freddy Spencer Chapman by Brian Moynahan. Interesting book. Chapman was initially part of one "stay-behind-party" after the surrender of British forces in Malaya. He claims to have blown up 15 bridges, derailed 7 trains, and killed 1,500 Japanese in a two-week period, together with two other Britons... After that, he merely survived in the jungle, training the mainly Chinese guerillas of the MPAJA. The book has a many weak points, especially Moynahan's boasting about abilities "which only the British" possess, or so he claims. At one point, he explains Chapman's ability to navigate in the jungle... with the Royal Navy's navigational skills in the Age of Sails... When substracting all the oddities and boasting, you end up with the story of the survival of one individual - which rather owes more to the fact that he wasn't betrayed to the Japanese, than the author admits. And the irony is that the very men Chapman trained... were the ones which years later turned against the British colonial rulers in the Malayan Emergency - with British weapons.

Then I read Vincent O'Hara's On Seas Contested, which gives a good overview about the different structures, doctrines etc. of the seven largest navies in WW II. Makes appetite for more.

Now reading Siege: Malta 1940-1943 by Ernle Bradford. Am halfway through and I second warspite1's opinion, every chapter is full of the first siege of 1565, as if Bradford is using this title to advertise his own book about the 1565 siege. If you want to know the size of the garrison, or even which Army units were stationed on Malta in WW II, you won't find it here. On the other hand, this book gives a nice introduction into the topic, and into Malta's political as well as social history - but that's not what I expected from a book with this particular title. Have to check whether there's something better available.

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 1454
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/14/2015 9:55:48 PM   
RakuPL

Currently reading third tome of Hussite trilogy by Andrzej Sapkowski called Lux perpetua. Next in queue there is Stephen E. Ambrose's D-Day June 6, 1944: the Climactic Battle of World War II. Also I want to read David L. Robbins Liberation Road.

There are also other books like King's The Stand and Sapkowski's The Witcher: Season of Storms waiting for the right time to come .

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1455
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/14/2015 10:04:20 PM   
RichMunn

Most of you seem to be restricted to military stuff. That's fine, but surely you read a little wider than that?

Battles are fought in all areas of life!

(in reply to RakuPL)
Post #: 1456
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/14/2015 10:50:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichMunn

Most of you seem to be restricted to military stuff. That's fine, but surely you read a little wider than that?

I guess I am one exception (like you, I guess). The military stuff has to be only the 5%-10% of my readings

Back in november, december I was reading like crazy... now it looks like I am not reading that much

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to RichMunn)
Post #: 1457
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 12:43:38 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

Got bored with my medical books. Then got bored with quantum physics. Got bored with tribology and motor oils. So.................

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to RichMunn)
Post #: 1458
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 6:56:55 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Now reading Siege: Malta 1940-1943 by Ernle Bradford. Am halfway through and I second warspite1's opinion, every chapter is full of the first siege of 1565, as if Bradford is using this title to advertise his own book about the 1565 siege. If you want to know the size of the garrison, or even which Army units were stationed on Malta in WW II, you won't find it here. On the other hand, this book gives a nice introduction into the topic, and into Malta's political as well as social history - but that's not what I expected from a book with this particular title. Have to check whether there's something better available.
warspite1

If you find anything please let me know. I finished the book - but it was more a case of "I've come this far so I might as well get to the end" than actually really wanting to finish it....

Don't get me wrong, the book was not a hard slog to get through and I learned some stuff, but it was just simply too "general" in its approach and I got no real sense of:

- to what extent the Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica suffered losses attacking the island
- how much more (if anything) they (particularly the Italians) could have done.
- instead of mentioning a few well known Axis and Allied convoys, how about a proper analysis of what convoys sailed when and how many ships/supplies/personnel were successfully got though?
- garrison strength on the island throughout the siege

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/15/2015 8:15:28 AM >

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1459
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 7:01:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Then I read Vincent O'Hara's On Seas Contested, which gives a good overview about the different structures, doctrines etc. of the seven largest navies in WW II. Makes appetite for more.

warspite1

This is a good book - as is its WWI equivalent To Crown The Waves.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1460
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 7:10:53 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

I mostly read military "stuff" but am not restricted to it. I've read some cracking non-military books over the last few years:

To Big to Fail (Economics)
Making it Happen (Economics)
When Genius Failed (Economics)
Naming Jack The Ripper (Crime)
Two Tribes (Golf)
Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken (Motor Racing)
The Real Global Warming Disaster (Environment/Politics/Economics)
Marching to the Fault Line (Politics)
Margaret Thatcher (Politics)
Ash (Horror)

EDIT: can't believe I left off the brilliant

The Book Thief (Fiction)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/18/2015 4:47:01 PM >

(in reply to RichMunn)
Post #: 1461
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 7:18:37 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Got bored with my medical books. Then got bored with quantum physics. Got bored with tribology and motor oils. So.................
warspite1

Well Aurelian, me ol' mucker, as I always say, "when you are bored of tribology, you are bored of life".....

Tribology is the science and engineering of interacting surfaces in relative motion. It includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear. Tribology is a branch of mechanical engineering and materials science.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1462
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 9:06:05 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

warspite1

Well Aurelian, me ol' mucker, as I always say, "when you are bored of tribology, you are bored of life".....

Tribology is the science and engineering of interacting surfaces in relative motion. It includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear. Tribology is a branch of mechanical engineering and materials science.

That's why I know that just about every motor oil additive doesn't live up to the hype. Especially when you use it constantly......

Just about finished Hell to Pay. Interesting stuff. Like the plan to use the remaining atom bombs as tactical weapons. Or how America had a real concern over casualties. (The Army alone discharged a bit over 1.2 million for non battle injuries in combat zones, disease, combat related psychiatric breakdowns.)

It goes into the interrelated advantages the Japanese would of had over the Okinawa battle. it discuses Hoover's, (yes, that Hoover), analysis of casualties and how it far exceeded the Army's 100,000/month replacement stream.

I'll leave it with this. The Us planners expected to vastly outnumber the defenders, landing roughly 432,000 troops for Olympic. What was discovered after the surrender was that 917,000 Imperial troops were on the island.

Truman, with all the information he had, said that it would be Okinawa after Okinawa from one end of Japan to the other.

I've only scratched the surface of the book. Reading it, you understand why the bombs were dropped. (it even touches on the Enola Gay controversy....) You'll also get to see why Patton/Monty's dream of taking Berlin just wasn't going to happen....

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1463
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 2:39:49 PM   
radic202

quote:

Yea! I am on your side here. I tend to read to escape from real life history and issues, hence why I love Fantasy. Of course most history war enthusiasts will tend to read what they like best: war/military history. While I wait for the 3rd part of "The Passage" by Justin Cronin I am reading something that I think is phenomenal and actually am enamored by his style of writing Dark Fantasy. For those wanting something dark, tons of action plus some real political intrigue, I strongly suggest this new fantasy series:

[image][URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/radic202/media/emperorsbladespsd.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

[image][URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/radic202/media/staveley_anderson_providence-of-fire.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to RichMunn)
Post #: 1464
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 2:47:28 PM   
Kuokkanen

I'm nearing end of Kildar, second novel in the Paladin of the Shadows series, written by John Ringo. I quote you part of it:
quote:

"And you made your money from a communications company nobody has ever heard of," Colonel Kortotich said, smiling thinly.
"No," Mike said, working his jaw, "I made my money from killing people and breaking things. Specifically terrorists and their operations. Your point?"

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1465
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 7:05:20 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

quote:

warspite1

If you find anything please let me know. I finished the book - but it was more a case of "I've come this far so I might as well get to the end" than actually really wanting to finish it....

Don't get me wrong, the book was not a hard slog to get through and I learned some stuff, but it was just simply too "general" in its approach and I got no real sense of:

- to what extent the Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica suffered losses attacking the island
- how much more (if anything) they (particularly the Italians) could have done.
- instead of mentioning a few well known Axis and Allied convoys, how about a proper analysis of what convoys sailed when and how many ships/supplies/personnel were successfully got though?
- garrison strength on the island throughout the siege

Exactly, it's too general in its approach. I'll stick to it to the end though, as I hate putting a book aside once started.

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 2/15/2015 8:07:24 PM >

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1466
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 7:07:00 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

quote:

warspite1

This is a good book - as is its WWI equivalent To Crown The Waves.

Thank you for this info, had a short look and it is something worth reading, especially since the Austro-Hungarian Navy is included, of which I... know practically nothing.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1467
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 7:22:16 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

My focus is definitely on military books now, especially the ones written in English. My interest in military history
started decades ago, at a time when there was no internet (thus no online purchase) and ordering a foreign book from a
local bookstore was a painstakingly slow affair. Back then, delivery of one single book from the UK to Austria could
take as long as 6 months - yes no joke - and the bookstores added all the costs of ordering and mail - which could
double the price. Today, ordering a book from as far away as Seattle, Washington, takes about a month, and the ones sent
from the UK or Germany are here within days. And e-books within seconds...

But of course I read other stuff as well, but written in my own language, like J.J.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Ring and all the related titles, Terry Pratchett's
Diskworld series, as well as local (mostly unknown to English speakers) authors like Christoph Ransmayr - and heaps of
other ones decades ago. I worked myself in the bookselling business for a decade. I'd rather throw my car away than my books!

(in reply to RichMunn)
Post #: 1468
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/15/2015 7:28:31 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202

quote:

Yea! I am on your side here. I tend to read to escape from real life history and issues, hence why I love Fantasy. Of course most history war enthusiasts will tend to read what they like best: war/military history. While I wait for the 3rd part of "The Passage" by Justin Cronin I am reading something that I think is phenomenal and actually am enamored by his style of writing Dark Fantasy. For those wanting something dark, tons of action plus some real political intrigue, I strongly suggest this new fantasy series:

[image][URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/radic202/media/emperorsbladespsd.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

[image][URL=http://s568.photobucket.com/user/radic202/media/staveley_anderson_providence-of-fire.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

That you for the recommendations.

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 1469
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/17/2015 8:14:33 PM   
Hotschi

Finished Bradford's Malta book - nothing more to report. Decided to stay in the Med for a while, and have just started Struggle for the Middle Sea by Vincent P. O'Hara.

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 2/17/2015 9:15:38 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI