Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no MrKane please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no MrKane please Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 10:21:26 AM   
Spidery

December 11th 1943

Miserable day.

RO-44 takes a shot at Bunker Hill, and misses.

I-29 is lost near Kavieng.

The Yorktown has vanished, not helped by bad weather over Ponape and Eniwetok that may have grounded my search planes.

Allied carriers launch a ground strike at Truk, not much damage but disruption is now quite high amongst the support forces, including the Naval fortress.

Fly some Lily DB into Horn Island to try and his ships at Port Moresby. Unfortunately, he has CAP over them and 17 bombers are lost with none getting through to the ships.

Put some Ki-84r over Oosthaven but they are outgunned by Spitfires, 8 lost for no casualties and no damage to the bombers.

At Djambi, Corsairs are unable to clear the CAP and lose out but then the Liberators strike at the airfield, destroy 26 planes on the ground and close the airfield. 8 Liberators are downed (5 in air-air).

Despite all the bad combats, overall on the turn air losses are 80 Japanese and 40 Allied but with the 8 4E downed still puts me ahead of the 2::1 VP loss.

Ki-115a to 4/45.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1801
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 10:23:24 AM   
Spidery

December 12th 1943

Lots of Allied threats arriving.

Sweeps hit lots of bases but only at Samarinda do they meet opposition. 125 Thunderbolts sweep as a single group and meet 61 N1K1-J and 61 Ki-84a, okay loss ratio: 15 P-47D2 for 13 Ki-84a and 10 N1K1-J.

Bombers hit Djambi, Rabaul and Truk as usual but also hit Bandjermasin and Aitape.

An invasion force is spotted North of Aitape, could be heading for Hollandia or Aitape.

An invasion force is spotted North of Soerabaja, could be heading for the Celebes or Bandjermasin.

Bombardments and landings at Truk. A couple of DD hit mines at Truk. Mine sweepers clear 120 mines but 6 DMS take heavy fires/heavy damage, sinking sounds suggest some of these have sunk. 2 SSX are lost to no avail. The damage to the Naval Fortress is enough that the combat ships embedded with his landing force mostly protect the landing craft:
quote:

616 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
CA Wichita, Shell hits 8, on fire
CA Indianapolis, Shell hits 29, on fire
CA Portland, Shell hits 18, on fire, heavy damage
DD Clark, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
DD Balch, Shell hits 2
DD Selfridge, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Tucker, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Maury, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Gridley, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Bagley, Shell hits 2, on fire
LST-19, Shell hits 1
LST-21, Shell hits 4, on fire
LST-23, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
LST-20
LST-22

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
86 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled

The CA hits are mostly non-penetrating belt armour hits. DD hits are better.

Allied forces suffer little landing losses:
quote:

Allied ground losses:
226 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 18 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Guns lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 36 (0 destroyed, 36 disabled)

Ground combat reveals he has unloaded:
quote:

Defending force 28456 troops, 418 guns, 538 vehicles, Assault Value = 937

1st USMC Tank Battalion
1st Arm Amphib Battalion
2nd Marine Division
1st Marine Division
754th Tank Battalion

Will be interesting to see how well his landing can do.

P1Y2 enters production. Not sure how useful this is so plan to continue to produce 30 P1Y1 and just 30 P1Y2

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1802
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 10:35:30 AM   
Spidery

December 13th 1943

I create a mass of MTB and SSX at Truk. This doesn't work too well. The MTB are not underway so all lost before they can attack. Not many SSX attack, 3 are lost for a single torpedo into the New Mexico.

More invasion action at Truk sees the Allies land 2 artillery units. Naval fire is still good and looks like may have sunk some DD and LST. Some BB bombard Truk but no air strikes against it and the forces recover a bit from disruption. A night strike by P1Y1 from Saipan scores no hits.

Allies land at Hollandia. Emilies and Nells from Babeldoab strike with torpedoes. Coming in low they mostly avoid the few Corsairs on LRCAP. With a 7 hour flight from Babeldoab, in the morning only 4 Nells arrive; they put one torpedo into xAP Chief Washakie. In the afternoon most planes strike, the Nells waste most of their torpedoes on CL Richmond (1 hit scored), the Emilies sink the xAP Cleveland Abbe (14VP) taking with it an estimated 1800 troops (mostly non-combat squads with a few engineers, guns and vehicles).

Allies hit the undefended oil wells at Djambi and finish off the last 27.

Allies land at Bandjermasin.

Ki-45 KAId Nick to 1/44.

N1K5-J to 6/45

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1803
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 10:36:52 AM   
Spidery

December 14th 1943

Attack at Hollandia not so good as Corsairs shoot down 17 Nells. 5 launch torpedoes, all miss. I grounded the Emilies as the aircraft needed repairs.

I-159 lost to Allied carrier aircraft near Truk.

Allies take Shwebo and Myitkyina against no opposition.

Allied attack at Truk of limited effect, I like the damage to Allied vehicles:
quote:

Ground combat at Truk (112,108)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 29000 troops, 454 guns, 574 vehicles, Assault Value = 965

Defending force 21962 troops, 229 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 361

Allied adjusted assault: 341

Japanese adjusted defense: 2866

Allied assault odds: 1 to 8 (fort level 7)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
650 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1445 casualties reported
Squads: 34 destroyed, 120 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 64 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 35 (6 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Vehicles lost 117 (74 destroyed, 43 disabled)

Assaulting units:
1st USMC Tank Battalion
2nd Marine Division
1st Marine Division
1st Arm Amphib Battalion
754th Tank Battalion
1st USMC Field Artillery Battalion
2nd USMC Field Artillery Battalion

The main defending ground units are not disrupted. VP screen suggests this is about 20% over-estimating Allied losses.

Ki-83 to 8/45.

Singapore forts are now at 6, I think will stop there.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1804
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 11:30:09 AM   
Spidery

I'm starting to get B7A2 available. Any suggestion as to whether I should prioritise upgrading LBA or planes on the carriers?

The main differences are much greater speed and the ability to act as dive bombers.

Cruise speed of 250 means they are faster than the D4Y4 and A6M5c so does that handicap co-ordination off the carriers? It is a lot closer to the 280 cruise speed of the Ki-43-IV so that might help co-ordination of LBA?

It is relatively unlikely the carriers will be committed soon but the LBA could easily see action.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1805
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 11:48:17 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidery

I'm starting to get B7A2 available. Any suggestion as to whether I should prioritise upgrading LBA or planes on the carriers?

The main differences are much greater speed and the ability to act as dive bombers.

Cruise speed of 250 means they are faster than the D4Y4 and A6M5c so does that handicap co-ordination off the carriers? It is a lot closer to the 280 cruise speed of the Ki-43-IV so that might help co-ordination of LBA?

It is relatively unlikely the carriers will be committed soon but the LBA could easily see action.

If you want to see them committed to action soon you have already answered your question.

Good game by the way!! Mr. Kane is a great opponent when playing the Japanese side much less given the Allied wealth of stuff.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1806
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 12:44:29 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Your plane research continues to impress!

What are your thoughts on the air war and on the frames you are flying? You mentioned earlier that you would have liked to inflict more air casualties on the Allies even if it meant trading a higher percentage of your planes.

Is George pretty much your best fighter now...what do you think of the Franks?

Usually my losses are the exact opposite of your recent sweep encounter, where Oscar and Tojo die in large numbers and George hardly touched at all. What were the altitudes you were flying at ....perhaps you had George down low to stop bombers?

I think the Ki-84a was a waste of time. The Ki-84r has had only the one fight so far, against Spitfires, and was slaughtered. However, I'm hoping for better things later. I still like the Ki-43-IV. The N1K1-J is my best fighter but I have taken over 1000 in losses.

Do you mean this sweep?

quote:

32 N1K1-J and 7 Ki-43-IV lost for only 23 F6F-3,

There were not many Ki-43-IV there (about 20) flying LRCAP from Singapore over Djambi at 5000 feet. The N1K1-J had about 80 present flying 45 of them at 41,000 feet and the rest at 26,000 feet. The big losses occur when a sweep heavily outnumbers the defenders (such as when 125 Thunderbolts arrive in one go). So what seems to have happened is the early sweeps cleared the Ki-43-IV and the later sweeps chewed up smaller numbers of N1K1-J.

Very disappointing to hear that about the Frank a, and you got the air battle correct. I understand now...thank you.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1807
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 12:56:20 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

December 13th 1943

I create a mass of MTB and SSX at Truk. This doesn't work too well. The MTB are not underway so all lost before they can attack. Not many SSX attack, 3 are lost for a single torpedo into the New Mexico.

How did you use your minisubs? Size and composition of task forces? Was it a fast minisub that made the hit on the New Mexico.

I would be dancing in the streets for that kind of event. My minisubs sink, run aground, batteries blow up, founder, abandoned, or simply sink.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1808
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 4:01:27 PM   
Spidery

quote:

quote:

December 13th 1943

How did you use your minisubs? Size and composition of task forces? Was it a fast minisub that made the hit on the New Mexico.

I would be dancing in the streets for that kind of event. My minisubs sink, run aground, batteries blow up, founder, abandoned, or simply sink.

SSX Ha-14 which I think is one of the short range, fast ones. It scored the hit in the Truk hex after the Allied bombardment.

I created them all as 1 hex task forces, then moved them out/spread them out. I think the key factor for defense is to create them and use them at once so that in the night phase there is no DL on them.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1809
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 4:04:15 PM   
Spidery

quote:

Very disappointing to hear that about the Frank a

It may be all part of the way this game is going. Low losses and me rarely flying offensively so they are always up against the best aircraft and the best planes.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1810
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 4:05:49 PM   
Spidery

December 15th 1943

Allies take Hollandia, he has landed two base forces here so I expect will develop a bomber base that threatens Babeldoab/Sorong/Boela etc.

No air or naval strikes at Truk, allowing the troops to recover from most of their disruption.

Allies are expanding Warazup airbase.

An SSX is lost to Allied carrier planes near Truk. The ASW threat is too great so I am going to move the subs away and send the SSX back to the pools.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1811
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 4:09:26 PM   
Spidery

The B7A2 has an endurance of 383 versus 470 for the B6N2.

Any idea if this has an impact on the effectiveness of air search?

Does the better max speed of the B7A2 give an increased chance of a successful attack on a sub?

Just thinking of real-world factors that may be modeled in the game.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1812
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/11/2015 4:19:08 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

December 15th 1943

An SSX is lost to Allied carrier planes near Truk. The ASW threat is too great so I am going to move the subs away and send the SSX back to the pools.

SSX are one shot wonders. Hopefully. Once the DL on them goes up they are sunk. Good move.

Nice to hear it is the fast SSX; I have a theory on how they should be used. Fast ones in base defence and slow ones infiltrating enemy ports to strike at docked ships.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1813
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/20/2015 1:15:06 PM   
Spidery

December 16th 1943

Allied attack at Truk reduces forts to 6. I'm surprised they had recovered and been able to attack again so soon. Truk will probably fall by the end of the month.

4 C-47 and 2 Dakota III are shot down by Oscars on 3-hex range LRCAP over Myitkyina and Shwebo. Nice to see intercepts work sometimes.

Massive radio traffic at Pearl Harbour - is a Marianas invasion coming?

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1814
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/20/2015 1:16:33 PM   
Spidery

December 17th 1943

I-1 sinks the xAP Chief Washakie (previously damaged by a torpedo from a Nell) as the Hollandia invasion force withdraws (6500 tons, 14 VP).

I-164 sinks xAK Barpeta (2,750 tons, 5 VP) near Karachi.

Ro-66 puts a torpedo into DD Gillespie near Kavieng, heavy damage but no sinking sounds.

I extend the range of Norms at Eniwetok to have a look at Roi-Namur and Kwajalein and lose 4 to CAP. 2 Norms try an attack, sneak past CAP but fail to hit the xAP President Fillmore - doubt they would have done much damage with 60kg bombs.

Spot some carriers heading back towards Kavieng.

RO-111 succumbs to damage from bombs sustained 2 days ago, before reaching port in the Marianas.

More radio traffic at Pearl gives me 4/4 detection over the base. This helpfully tells me that there are 608 ships in port and they include 10 DD.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1815
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/20/2015 4:09:40 PM   
Spidery

December 18th 1943

He hasn't been sweeping Truk so I fly 3 N1K1 Rex in to see if they can do any good. May have put some of his bombers off aim at best. Real objective though is for him to start sweeping and take ops losses.

Allied 2E bombers hit the naval guard at Bandjermasin. Swamp but no forts and the attack is devastating with practically all devices disabled and 87% disruption. I will try and fly the troops out before he attacks.

Guam and Saipan forts reach 8 and will stop there as want to move some engineers off and probably wouldn't have time to expand before they are attacked.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1816
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/21/2015 3:31:50 PM   
Spidery

Army aircraft

Army pools and production.

Ki-49 production may be a bit OTT but they could make good Kamikaze. Nearly all active groups fly this but there are a few with the Ki-21-Ic, Ki-49-Ia, and Ki-21-IIa on ASW. Groups are generally still flying the Ki-49-IIa model as they are on ASW duty and don't take losses so no reason to upgrade to the Ki-49-IIb. There are three groups with the Ki-48 dive bomber, 2 with the IIb model and one with the IIc.

Ki-43-IV and Ki-84r are the main fighters but there are still groups flying Ki-44-IIc, Ki-84a, Ki-43-IIIa, Ki-43-IIb, Ki-45 KAIa.

I'm not sure how many recce planes I will need so have turned Ki-46-III production off. All the older models are still in use, I use Ki-15-II to recce forces in the field where there is less chance of CAP or AA.

Ki-49-II KAI is the mainstay transport but there are still groups active using up the last of the Ki-57-I, Ki-57-II, and MC-21.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1817
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/21/2015 3:41:35 PM   
Spidery

Navy Aircraft

N1K1-J is the main fighter and the pools are growing so I need to look at upgrades. Lots of IJN fighter groups withdraw on the 10th July 1944 and I try to avoid upgrading groups that withdraw. Fighter pilot pools are now looking good so can probably afford to take a group or two out of training. A6M5c is the plane for the carriers. There are a few A6M5 groups protecting places like Lianchow and Sian. There is one A6M5b group on one of the carriers.

D4Y4, B7A2 and G3M3 are the bombers. D4Y4 pools are massive with the expectation there will be some big battles later. There are a lot of obsolete torpedo bombers and there will be more as I replace them with the B7A2.

All transport groups fly the H8K2-L and there are more groups arriving later so need to build up the pools.

All patrol groups fly the H8K2 and may have an excessive pool of them.

E13A1 is the main active float plane group but the E15K1 has been replacing some and the E14Y1 stock should be enough for losses on subs (I think there are 2 training groups that are using them and can release them when needed).

I have one night fighter group with the A6M5d-S and 2 with the J1N1-S. I'm not sure which will be the mainstay until the P1Y2-S arrives.

The only active navy recon group flies the D4Y1-C.

Level bombers mostly have the G3M3 for range but there is one group using up G4M1 stocks and there is another group with the P1Y1 for speed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1818
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/21/2015 3:42:10 PM   
Spidery

December 19th 1943

Very quiet.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1819
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/21/2015 3:43:09 PM   
Spidery

December 20th 1943

Still quiet.

Large Allied force advancing along the coast road towards the 2 divisions blocking the exit from Ramiree Island.

I think I will pull back and head for a defensive line near Pegu.

I sent Yokosuka Ku S-3 back to Japan, switched to the A6M5d-S, put it on Kaga and resized to size 45. So it is possible to use the Zero night fighter to resize Navy groups.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1820
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/21/2015 3:58:54 PM   
Lowpe

You don't mention it, so I will. The B5N2 gets MAD and N-6 Radar.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1821
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/22/2015 9:21:03 AM   
Spidery

quote:

You don't mention it, so I will. The B5N2 gets MAD and N-6 Radar.

Nice, I hadn't noticed that, I'll probably put them on the CVE and move them close to detected sub activity. Still, the MAD isn't available until 6/44 and the N-6 until 10/44 so a long way off.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1822
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/22/2015 7:06:45 PM   
FeurerKrieg

The Ki-49-Ia have MAD too. I kept one factory of those so I can have an army ASW plane when the MAD becomes available.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1823
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/23/2015 8:50:19 AM   
Spidery

December 21st 1943

Allied carrier planes bombard Truk from 10 hexes away, extended range, without escort, he is playing fast and loose, I need to fly some float fighters in. Costs him 6 Helldivers, 4 flak, 2 ops. I wonder if he made a mistake and forgot to cancel the secondary target when his carriers went to Kavieng for re-supply.

Otherwise, quiet.

Allied sub activity in South China Sea seems to have been cut back.

B6N2a to 3/44. Change the factory to work on the J7W1.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1824
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/23/2015 8:51:53 AM   
Spidery

December 22nd 1943

More Allied task forces approaching Truk from the South. Carrier planes hit my troops for negligible effect.
quote:

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 233
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 92
SBD-3 Dauntless x 29
SBD-5 Dauntless x 58
TBF-1 Avenger x 112
TBM-1C Avenger x 16

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 7 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 2 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

No fragments, impressive co-ordination.

Land attack reduces forts to 5, but look at those vehicle losses inflicted. 32 Land VP gained so that is 96 devices eliminated. I've seen a suggestion that motorized support losses are reported both as non-combat and vehicles so suggests might have eliminated 60 vehicles, probably means I mauled one of the tank regiments.
quote:

Attacking force 30431 troops, 474 guns, 641 vehicles, Assault Value = 1147

Defending force 22010 troops, 249 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 375

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 5

Allied adjusted assault: 451

Japanese adjusted defense: 3115

Allied assault odds: 1 to 6 (fort level 5)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
843 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 72 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
920 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 96 disabled
Non Combat: 31 destroyed, 28 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 22 disabled
Guns lost 18 (1 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Vehicles lost 116 (100 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Catch some transports at Myitkyina by LRCAP from Paoshan and down 3 Dakota III.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1825
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/23/2015 2:44:43 PM   
Spidery

December 23rd 1943

Another quiet day.

Allies take Katha, shame, it is a level 8 airbase I never got much mileage out of.

"Pilot Hori I. is reported as to have escaped capture". Went missing in action some 140 days ago, at that time was fighting over Java. I guess he managed to escape from a PoW camp, make his way to the Sunda strait and sneaked over to Oosthaven. Did he swim the 30 or so km?

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1826
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/23/2015 2:45:56 PM   
Spidery

December 24th 1943

Allied attack at Truk again and reduce forts to 4. Lots of disabled squads may delay the next attack as the marine divisions need to recover. Supply is holding up with 17,000 supply left at Truk it is unlikely to run out before he takes the base.
quote:

Japanese ground losses:
926 casualties reported
Squads: 16 destroyed, 41 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 21 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 18 (1 destroyed, 17 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3103 casualties reported
Squads: 42 destroyed, 221 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 38 disabled
Engineers: 19 destroyed, 70 disabled
Guns lost 37 (6 destroyed, 31 disabled)
Vehicles lost 11 (3 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Shoot down a couple of C-47 over Shwebo.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1827
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/24/2015 4:48:50 PM   
Spidery

December 25th 1943

Fly about 20 N1K1 Rex into Truk. They trade 3 planes lost for 3 B-24D1 and 1 Mitchell II. I hoped for a better result but the planes just couldn't get through the defensive fire. In the afternoon, a single N1K1 tries to hold off the carrier planes, with over 200 Hellcats on escort, and is promptly shot down. 7 N1K1 are still flight capable and will fly back to Guam. The remainder will be junked. Need to check, does junking planes cost VP?

I like having the N1K1 Rex to fly into devastated, but still supplied, bases but only have the 3 groups flying them. I only produce 15 a month so will take a while to replace losses.

Send some supply in to Billiton and lost a PB, should have enough supply for a month or so. Very disappointing this:
quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Billiton at 52,93

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 11
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 13

Allied aircraft
B-25D1 Mitchell x 8

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
PB Kamitu Maru, Shell hits 15, Bomb hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-25D1 Mitchell bombing and strafing from low level
Naval Attack: 6 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
381 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 11 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 9000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 18 minutes
24th Sentai with Ki-43-IV Oscar (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 13 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 5000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes

Interception time was less than the raid warning, altitude wasn't far off, so why no successful air-air?

Down another 3 C-47 at Shwebo.

Bandjermasin falls.

First A7M2 Sam factory fully repaired which guarantees December 1944 but with two factories only 2 and 3 from completing expect to do a lot better than that.

31st Army, Corps HQ appears at Truk. I doubt I will hold long enough to get preparation up to a level to use the HQ bonus. On the one hand this gives me a large excess of support (895 for 551 required), that should help recovering disabled devices, but it also puts me over 10% over-stacked.

I am finding a lot of demand for PP at the moment as I keep getting restricted reinforcements in China. With little need for extra troops in China (withdrawals from Burma should defend the mountain road), I am buying them out to send to Japan, Luzon, etc.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1828
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/24/2015 5:12:03 PM   
Spidery

December 26th 1943

More quiet.

Allied carriers seem to have retired South-East from Truk.

I-5 sinks TK Buccinum near Karachi (5300 tons, 15VP).

Allied forces in Burma seem to have been railed from Myitkyina to Shwebo.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1829
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 2/24/2015 5:13:14 PM   
Spidery

December 27th 1943

I-26 is damaged near Kavieng and will return to yards.

Liberators hit Tarakan at night (Moonlight 0%) and 8 (of 36) Ki-84a on CAP are lost for no damage scored and no damage to the oil wells. With only 26 8cm AA guns, flak is light.

Allied carriers have vanished.

At Truk, both sides are bombarding for little effect. I can see from the combat replay that 2 out of 3 tank regiments are trashed and one of the marine divisions is a lot worse off than the other.

SS I-184 is commissioned.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 1830
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no MrKane please Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI