Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/27/2015 11:14:54 PM   
Mickrocks201

So in reading this discussion, bombing oil and fuel will not cause Axis problems, only gain VP? Axis will never run out no matter Ho hard you bomb?

(in reply to Mickrocks201)
Post #: 31
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/27/2015 11:24:39 PM   
NotOneStepBack

16 VPs last turn!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 32
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/27/2015 11:29:18 PM   
Balou

Hasn't been proven, but yes, it's an educated guess. In fact, it would, as I have learned is this forum, rather reflect historical realities. Maybe it's gonna work in the oil/fuel business. But lots of (WA) people - including myself - still fiddle around to improve their air war skills.

Post #: 33
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 12:38:32 AM   
Mickrocks201

Ah, so it is just as abstract as uboat and v-weapon Bombing. VP management only. Sort of disappointing to find this out... I always like to bomb oil & fuel figuring it would impact the Luftwaffe, but I guess best to just follow the lead outlined here and BTF out of HI.

< Message edited by mickrocks -- 2/28/2015 1:40:15 AM >

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 34
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 1:05:16 AM   
LiquidSky

Don't forget that bombing vps goes down as the war moves along. Although I suppose you can make up some of that as you have more bombers and less interceptors to worry about

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Post #: 35
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 1:06:54 AM   
Balou

What I'm trying to say: from what I've seen no WA player has SO FAR been able to cripple an axis production line. As for me, could be I am not good enough YET. Game is out only for a couple of weeks, and hopefully there is a lot more to discover. You may be right, but I think we should try to find out.

Post #: 36
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 1:10:01 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

What I'm trying to say: from what I've seen no WA player has SO FAR been able to cripple an axis production line. As for me, could be I am not good enough YET. Game is out only for a couple of weeks, and hopefully there is a lot more to discover. You may be right, but I think we should try to find out.

I am not looking to cripple the Axis. Just impact them, even like a across the board 5% reduction in fighting effectiveness. But it is hard to know if any combination of what I am doing is actually having any sort of effect.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 37
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 1:37:13 AM   
NotOneStepBack

Also, it matters more to hit as many targets as you can, instead of inflicting a lot of damage on one. The VP calculation works so that if a factory is damaged at all, even with 1%, it will count, just like u-boats.

I have been ignoring bomber losses in general, they don't seem to matter too much.

< Message edited by NotOneStepBack -- 2/28/2015 2:38:57 AM >

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 38
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 2:26:11 AM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

But it is hard to know if any combination of what I am doing is actually having any sort of effect.

That's precisely what I'm trying to find out. And as a starter, I focus on one asset, try to maximize damage and see what happens.

quote:

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

The VP calculation works so that if a factory is damaged at all, even with 1%, it will count, just like u-boats.

Getting VPs for barely scratching the roof of a U-Boat pen, that's a VP System that is hard to understand. So far, I don't care for VPs. In my recent GC I was ahead of (historical) datelines in every department except Italy north of Rome, went as requested after the U-Boat factories, bombed the hell out of VWS and most of the VWF, visited Berlin in mid March 45, had no excess casualties, giving an impressive -79 VPs. Final result: a minor victory just because of some bonus points.

< Message edited by Balou -- 2/28/2015 3:27:30 AM >

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 39
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 5:32:58 AM   
decourcy2

Balou, others, your are mistaken on the VP's. Bombing VP's are size of factory multiplied by (damage in % divided by 1000). Thus, if a factory has 100% damage you will get 100 times more score for it.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 40
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 5:51:44 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

One thing I wondered, how worth it is it to bomb during the bad winter months where conditions are Very Poor? I've been resting my WA air fleet during bad weather.

Strategic bombing should be done in all weathers. By late 43 Heavy bomber pools won´t be an issue and for some reason you don´t lose VPs for planes lost. But every little positive VP is golden. I would happily trade 200 bombers for 2 VPs.

I´ve driven the 8th, 15th and BC into the ground and still have around 1000+ B17/24 for the US and well over 1000 Lancs for the Brits.

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 41
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 11:04:30 AM   
carlkay58

I would like to make a few points here from the play testing.

1. The game engine does support the effects of bombing an industry out of the water. During play testing I was able to destroy the Axis oil & fuel in early 44. The Axis could not fly, all mech units had less than 10 MPs (most about 6), and their industrial production suffered due to lack of fuel. There have since been adjustments to the air war effectiveness that stopped that from happening. There is no way the Allies should have been able to destroy the Oil & Fuel industries that quickly. But the fact remains is that, if you do destroy them, there is an effect in the production system.

2. I have bombed aircraft factories (specifically the FW190 and ME109 factories) and had the Axis on the ropes with fighter aircraft. Which made my air war much easier, which hurt the Axis, etc. At one time I was able to get Axis fighter production down to less than 50 for eight turns in a row. The Axis cannot handle that well.

3. Some random thoughts: I have never hit just the HI or Resource targets but it could be interesting to see what it would do. Manpower repairs fast. Oil and Fuel targets keep the damage longer. Industrial sites with 50% or more damage will not produce so aiming for 100% is overkill (but fun). Area bombing will usually keep the target sites (depending on intensity, number of aircraft, quality of leadership, etc) about 30 - 40% damaged. Rarely will a site with over 30% damage be targeted unless you are out of targets in an area bombing AD. VW Weapons are harder to avoid the penalties than the UBoats and seem to accumulate a lot more negative VPs.

I will try and have some more details and analysis soon on the VWeapons vs UBoat situation. I am working on that analysis at the moment.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 42
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 12:14:44 PM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

ORIGINAL: mickrocks

Ah, so it is just as abstract as uboat and v-weapon Bombing. VP management only. Sort of disappointing to find this out... I always like to bomb oil & fuel figuring it would impact the Luftwaffe, but I guess best to just follow the lead outlined here and BTF out of HI.

Guys, you need to read what is being said. Oil and fuel can be reduced by it is hard. The first post missed synth. Someone needs to do a test before we all give up

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Post #: 43
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 12:21:43 PM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

That's precisely what I'm trying to find out. And as a starter, I focus on one asset, try to maximize damage and see what
Getting VPs for barely scratching the roof of a U-Boat pen, that's a VP System that is hard to understand. So far, I don't care for VPs. In my recent GC I was ahead of (historical) datelines in every department except Italy north of Rome, went as requested after the U-Boat factories, bombed the hell out of VWS and most of the VWF, visited Berlin in mid March 45, had no excess casualties, giving an impressive -79 VPs. Final result: a minor victory just because of some bonus points.

What are these u boat pens everyone is talking about? U boat pens (generally) are in France. What we are bombing is factories and ship yards. Without 20ft roofs. The pens aren't in game.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 44
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 1:59:36 PM   
carlkay58

The following is the Axis Oil Pool for my server game vs Pelton. It is currently turn 73 (Nov 18, 1944). Notice that the Axis oil pool is essentially gone and only this turn's production is in the pool. The red circle is the approx. time that the Soviets took Ploesti - note that I had already put the downward spiral in the Oil Pool by that time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 45
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 2:00:39 PM   
carlkay58

Here is the corresponding Fuel Stores for the game. Note that it is JUST beginning to go downward after the Oil Pool is zeroed out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 46
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 2:02:14 PM   
carlkay58

I have been preoccupied with the ground combat in France and the VWeapon sites so I have not been hitting the Synth Fuel factories like I should be to really turn the Fuel downward. I plan on correcting that oversight this turn.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 47
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 2:04:51 PM   
carlkay58

The current synthetic fuel situation for the game:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 48
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 3:20:08 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

quote:

That's precisely what I'm trying to find out. And as a starter, I focus on one asset, try to maximize damage and see what

What are these u boat pens everyone is talking about? U boat pens (generally) are in France. What we are bombing is factories and ship yards. Without 20ft roofs. The pens aren't in game.

You're absolutely right, big error. Still: My point were VPs. VPs awarded for a 1% damage ? Really ?

Post #: 49
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 3:57:35 PM   
loki100

quote:

You're absolutely right, big error. Still: My point were VPs. VPs awarded for a 1% damage ? Really ?

not quite, if I understand right, you get something towards the VP if the factory/manpower thing doesn't work in that turn, with this related to the size of the factory/thing.

the % you see on the map as damage is the chance it won't operate. So 1% damage means there is a 1% chance of it not working and 99% of it working. But the factory either fully works (subject to having the inputs it needs) or doesn't, that part of the equation is binary.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 50
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 5:05:29 PM   
decourcy2

Did anyone read my reply? Am i wearing a cloak of invisibility? I just explained how victory points and damage work Balou.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 51
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 5:16:01 PM   
Balou

Of course I saw your reply, no offense meant. I don't question your knowledge. But I question the "we-start-at-1% damage" VP System

(in reply to decourcy2)
Post #: 52
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 5:28:57 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Still it would like to know to what extent allied strat bombing did (help to) knock out Germany. History experts please step in, there should be figures.

I don't think it did. Most sources seem to argue that German industrial production hit its peak in 1944 and only declined in 1945 due to loss of territory.

The quote may be anecdotal but one Allied general summarised the situation in May 1945 as 'the Soviets won the war, we just happened to be nearby'.

The decisive element was the destruction of manpower and material by the Soviets, plus the steady loss of critical resources as the Red Army advanced into regions like Silesia and took over the oil regions in Rumania and Hungary.

What the game models well, is that there was an enduring belief among the allies that strategic bombing could be decisive, Harris persisted in his belief that civilian morale would crack as a result. For the British from 1940-3, Strategic bombing was the only offensive tool, so it was easy to decide to believe it was effective. I think the Americans were more pragmatic, but still they had invested a huge amount in heavy bombers so there was a bit of a mindset that once you'd built the blessed things, you really had to us them.

Yup its true the bombing did next to nothing to slow german production. They had planes, but no pilots/they had tank parks full of tanks, but no crews ect ect ect.

The bombing did keep 10,000's of 88's off the front lines.

Germans simply ran out of men, but Russia alone could in no way have taken out Germany alone.

Germany was bleeding Russia to death, simply math based on population and loses tells the truth as do bombing records vs german production.

Allot of the victory's write the history shortly after a conflict, but over time the truth comes out.

Russia without US trucks would have been fighting in the Urals by 43.

Germany was defeated by Russia and Western Allies not WA or Russia solo.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 53
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 5:58:21 PM   
Flaviusx

The Soviets did about 75% of the work, Pelton. This is the part that most of us in the west don't seem to get.

Also, the Soviets were fighting without US trucks all the way through Stalingrad, which as I recall is nowhere near the Urals. Lend lease really only got going at a very late date. Western aid sped the Soviet advance. It did not save the Soviet Union, that the Soviets did pretty much on their own and at horrific cost.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 54
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 6:01:10 PM   
HMSWarspite

Meanwhile, back at the topic of the thread...

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 55
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 10:50:56 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Turn 10...gentlemen I believe I have broken the bombing code.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 56
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 10:56:36 PM   
carlkay58

Industrial damage and how it works:

UBoat & VWeapon VP Loss: Only the factories that are undamaged (0% damage) are considered in calculating the VP loss for these categories. If at least 1% damage exist on a site, it contributes nothing to the VP Loss equation.

Industrial Damage and Production Loss: If a random (50) <= % damage, then the industrial site will not produce this turn. Thus a site that has 50+% damage is out of production. If the industrial site is an oil factory with a size value of 20 and 20% damaged then it will either produce 20 Oil Points (60% of the time) this turn or 0 (40% of the time) - there is no between variable. It is all or nothing.

Industrial Bombing VP Gain: These are calculated as a percentage of damaged industry. So the VPs for the above Oil industrial site will be based on 20 (damage) times 20 (size) divided by 1000 or 0.4 Strategic Bombing Points. The only industries that matter in this category are German Manpower, German HI, oil, fuel, and synthetic fuel. No other damage is used in these calculations.

< Message edited by carlkay58 -- 2/28/2015 11:58:48 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 2/28/2015 11:12:39 PM   
NotOneStepBack

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Industrial damage and how it works:

UBoat & VWeapon VP Loss: Only the factories that are undamaged (0% damage) are considered in calculating the VP loss for these categories. If at least 1% damage exist on a site, it contributes nothing to the VP Loss equation.

Industrial Damage and Production Loss: If a random (50) <= % damage, then the industrial site will not produce this turn. Thus a site that has 50+% damage is out of production. If the industrial site is an oil factory with a size value of 20 and 20% damaged then it will either produce 20 Oil Points (60% of the time) this turn or 0 (40% of the time) - there is no between variable. It is all or nothing.

Industrial Bombing VP Gain: These are calculated as a percentage of damaged industry. So the VPs for the above Oil industrial site will be based on 20 (damage) times 20 (size) divided by 1000 or 0.4 Strategic Bombing Points. The only industries that matter in this category are German Manpower, German HI, oil, fuel, and synthetic fuel. No other damage is used in these calculations.

This is correct and it seems like HI stays damaged longer than other targets, which means it gives you a cumulative effect on VPs if you keep switching up targets, and the German doesn't know where to defend.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 58
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 3/1/2015 6:23:25 AM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Thanks for sharing.

Will the calculation of Ind Bomb VPs be "reset" for the next turn ? In other words: existing damage + additional damage or additional damage only ?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 59
RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry - 3/1/2015 11:20:56 AM   
carlkay58

It is the amount of damage on the target at the time of VP calculation. So it is accumulated damage that is counted.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Do you want bombing VPs? Hit Heavy Industry Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI