Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

carrier fights for her life

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> carrier fights for her life Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
carrier fights for her life - 3/2/2015 2:39:12 PM   
crsutton

I don't think that I have ever seen this footage. Pretty amazing stuff. You just can't imagine how vulnerable and expendable human beings are in a situation such as this. The most amazing part is the effect of a near miss. It literally rocks the carrier like an earthquake and bounces a SBD into the drink.

http://youtu.be/WPa_KyimFOk

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/2/2015 4:16:57 PM   
dr.hal

Wow, I've never seen that before, very interesting. Witness how much the CV is healing in those defensive turns. I use to get yelled at by the airboss if I tilted the carrier more than THREE degrees in a turn, here you see what combat can do to peacetime maneuvers! In fact the A/C on the tail end of the CV actually bounces into the catwalk! Thanks for sharing this.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/2/2015 4:48:48 PM   
jb123

Fighting fires on those things must have been the closest to hell one could get on earth.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/2/2015 8:19:45 PM   
wdolson

I think that was from the Easter Solomons. The carrier still had 1.1 inch and it was a Yorktown class. I believe the Enterprise was upgraded to 40mm by Santa Cruz. Though I may be wrong about that.

I noticed in the description it said a carrier under attack by Zeros. To some people every Japanese airplane is a Zero I guess.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to jb123)
Post #: 4
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/2/2015 9:48:20 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I believe the Enterprise was upgraded to 40mm by Santa Cruz. Though I may be wrong about that.

Believe so, although she still had the 1.1 incher on the bow. Don't recall if and when that one was changed.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/2/2015 11:59:27 PM   
wdolson

The Navy got rid of the 1.1s on all ships as soon as they could. The 40mm was so much better in so many ways, the only thing slowing down upgrades was ship schedules and supply of guns.

Here is a history of the Enterprise's armament:
http://www.cv6.org/ship/armament.htm

There was one 1.1 mount still on the Enterprise until the October 43 upgrade.

Bill

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 6
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 3:17:10 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think that was from the Easter Solomons. The carrier still had 1.1 inch and it was a Yorktown class. I believe the Enterprise was upgraded to 40mm by Santa Cruz. Though I may be wrong about that.

I noticed in the description it said a carrier under attack by Zeros. To some people every Japanese airplane is a Zero I guess.

Bill

I was thinking Eastern Solomons too but the first plane shown is an old TBD. Thought they were all gone by then. The film could be a composite in that respect.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 4:30:04 AM   
wdolson

The Enterprise only came under air attack once while operating TBDs and that was during the Marshalls raid in February 1942. During that raid she was attacked by Nells and Claudes. The Hornet never came under attack while operating TBDs. The Yorktown herself was attacked by carrier aircraft while operating TBDs, the first time at Coral Sea where the star with dot was in use. The next time was during Midway when the planes were operating without the dots in the star (as shown in the video), but I don't recall the deck being holed at Midway. I know a val put a bomb down the funnel of the Yorktown.

Bill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 5:10:48 AM   
rustysi

I've heard that the 1.1 inchers were referred to as 'Chicago Pianos', anyone know why? And I am asking because I don't know, not because I'm trying to stump the forum. Figured if anyone knew they would be here.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 6:03:47 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I've heard that the 1.1 inchers were referred to as 'Chicago Pianos', anyone know why? And I am asking because I don't know, not because I'm trying to stump the forum. Figured if anyone knew they would be here.

I've heard the Thompson Submachine gun referred to as a Chicago Piano but I never heard the 1.1 referred as such.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 11:11:50 AM   
LeeChard

That's all new to me, Thanks!

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 11
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 11:19:48 AM   
wdolson

I don't know where the Chicago comes into it, but the 4 barrels side by side looked a bit like the guts of a grand piano and was about the same size. Possibly the manufacturer of the guns was in Chicago?

If you Google 1.1 inch and Chicago Piano you will find a plethora of sites describing the mount as that, but I didn't find one in a quick search that explained the origin of the term.

Bill

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 12
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 11:57:20 AM   
Mundy

Were they fixed capacity magazines on the 1.1" or were they a "chute" like the 40mm?

I can't seem to find anything that clarifies this.

The box magazines helped make the Japanese 25mm pretty lame, too.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 1:43:40 PM   
crsutton

quote:

The Enterprise only came under air attack once while operating TBDs and that was during the Marshalls raid in February 1942. During that raid she was attacked by Nells and Claudes. The Hornet never came under attack while operating TBDs. The Yorktown herself was attacked by carrier aircraft while operating TBDs, the first time at Coral Sea where the star with dot was in use. The next time was during Midway when the planes were operating without the dots in the star (as shown in the video), but I don't recall the deck being holed at Midway. I know a val put a bomb down the funnel of the Yorktown.

Bill

Which is why I think it is a splice of a different older shot. Not unknown for that type of film.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 14
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 2:03:43 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I don't think that I have ever seen this footage. Pretty amazing stuff. You just can't imagine how vulnerable and expendable human beings are in a situation such as this. The most amazing part is the effect of a near miss. It literally rocks the carrier like an earthquake and bounces a SBD into the drink.

http://youtu.be/WPa_KyimFOk

Great footage, thanks for the link.

Here’s another great old reel. Check out the Betty fly-by at 8:18, it’s a really amazing shot for the era, some of the clearest footage I’ve ever seen in an old battle reel. It’s purported to be part of the battle of midway, but I think it’s probably from Coral Sea as there were certainly no Betties attacking US ships at Midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipW_576Ea0

Jim

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 15
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 2:12:11 PM   
Cerion

Reverted video of aircraft carrier USS Enterprise in Battle of Santa Cruz. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8n3wTIrx4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhlXaqS67GE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i9DyEBtAHA

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJ7rEjcaLY

< Message edited by Cerion -- 3/3/2015 4:01:04 PM >

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 16
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 5:48:37 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I don't know where the Chicago comes into it, but the 4 barrels side by side looked a bit like the guts of a grand piano and was about the same size. Possibly the manufacturer of the guns was in Chicago?

If you Google 1.1 inch and Chicago Piano you will find a plethora of sites describing the mount as that, but I didn't find one in a quick search that explained the origin of the term.

Bill

I seem to remember the Tommy Gun being called a Chicago Typewriter - does that sound right? If so, maybe the 1.1 inch was nicknamed a Chicago Piano because of the size difference.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 17
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 6:49:57 PM   
geofflambert

Hey Bill, what's with the new Moderator avatar? Are you Magneto now?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 18
RE: carrier fights for her life - 3/3/2015 8:56:33 PM   
wdolson

It appears Matrix changed their logo. I didn't have anything to do with it, the thing just changed one day. I liked the old logo better, but oh well.

Bill

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> carrier fights for her life Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI