Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Conflict Marcus Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Conflict Marcus Island Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 2/27/2015 5:55:26 PM   
Lowpe

My most experienced pilots.

You can see that the majority are flying Irving-S now. My thought is to maximize the NF with the very best, and at least for now hopefully they won't suffer many fatalities and also scare the Allies about the effectiveness of NFs.

The Irving S is pretty darn lethal against 2E bombers, but 4Es are very, very difficult despite the great pilots -- so I am not sure that part of my strategy worked.

Other than that I am trying to pull all TRACOM eligible pilots and save them for the very best airframes later in the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3361
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 2/27/2015 5:57:04 PM   
Lowpe

Best Aces: it is darn difficult to them past 10.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3362
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 2/27/2015 5:59:43 PM   
Lowpe

Just absolutely horrendous Japanese plane losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3363
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 2/27/2015 8:10:46 PM   
Malagant

Something that jumped out at me is the high Betty losses without similarly high Nell losses. I seem to be using both for the same missions and often in the same places, was wondering if you had thoughts on why the Betty and Nell losses are so different?

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3364
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 2/28/2015 12:45:29 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malagant

Something that jumped out at me is the high Betty losses without similarly high Nell losses. I seem to be using both for the same missions and often in the same places, was wondering if you had thoughts on why the Betty and Nell losses are so different?

When I picked up the game I had about the same 300 Betties to 200 Nells, but the production was skewed to Betty, and I decided to rush to get the G4M3a (armored Betty) and I shut down the one Nell factory.

I did use the G4M1s very hard early on, and flew into some remarkable CAP traps that hurt.

The G4M3a has been a good plane, and worth the investment. I probably missed the longer search the Nells give, but went with JudyC to fill that gap.

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 3365
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 1:36:21 PM   
Lowpe

IJN Pilot shortage:

Although I have no replacements, I can still pull pilots forward from the training schools. Since Tracom is packed full of pilots, their starting skills are pretty good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3366
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 1:46:01 PM   
Mike Solli

How many pilots do you have in TRACOM?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3367
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 2:23:26 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Looks like 242. I had more, but they are now flying the Irving-S of which I have two full squadrons, so very close to 300 at one point.

I am using TRACOM as a holding area for NF pilots. That they actually do something else is a plus I guess.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3368
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 2:33:44 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Looks like 242. I had more, but they are now flying the Irving-S of which I have two full squadrons, so very close to 300 at one point.

I am using TRACOM as a holding area for NF pilots. That they actually do something else is a plus I guess.

Curious to see how you do with the high experience NF pilots. I only really used a few experts and the bulk of the pilots were around 55-60exp with 70 skill in air and defense.

I lost a lot of NF pilots as late int eh war a lot were shot down almost daily, and some of those airframes don't have armor. So, curious to see if it makes a difference to have the 80exo pilots there and if they 'last' longer.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3369
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 4:39:58 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
Curious to see how you do with the high experience NF pilots. I only really used a few experts and the bulk of the pilots were around 55-60exp with 70 skill in air and defense.

I lost a lot of NF pilots as late int eh war a lot were shot down almost daily, and some of those airframes don't have armor. So, curious to see if it makes a difference to have the 80exo pilots there and if they 'last' longer.

Your AAR gave me a ton of insights: one, I am going for armored NF over the others. By March 44 I hope to be fielding NicK
Ds and Frances. By 6/44 the IJA will switch over to Peggy and then it will be Frances and Peggy for the rest of the war. I think once I upgrade a recon squadron to KAI Dinahs then they will hopefully be able to switch over to Peggys.

Two: You did so well with NF with no real prior planning from pre 1944. Whereas, I have planned for NF from day one of my takeover in late July 42. Great pilots, better (I hope) airframes will hopefully perform better.

We shall see! So far the Irving S can really tear apart 2E night bombers, but they have more difficulty with 4E, but still seem lethal thru op losses. The Irving Sa isn't too far away either, and they add an extra 20mm cannon making them more lethal. I have yet to lose a pilot, and lost only four planes in A2A.

Having Pete's flying night CAP in port bases and at least one bank of AA adds to the coverage and really minimizes the damage from night bombing so far. Very pleased with this aspect of the game -- once I figured it out.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3370
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 5:45:22 PM   
obvert

Cool. I know you've been planning this for a while. It's almost time for (hopeful) payoff.

One thing I had to do that I didn't want to want flying NF at more than 0 range. I didn't think to convert all IJN NF to larger sized units using the A6M5-s on CVs. That would be huge, and you'll have the extra big Nick groups too, so you should be fine on that, getting decent coverage in all of the important bases flying only zero range.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3371
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 5:46:20 PM   
Lowpe

Here are the defenses of Kusaie, Ponape and Truk. Nothing is where I would really like it: I would like some ART at each base, but haven't gotten the chance yet. The base forces are forward and concentrated. Forts could be a little better, but the deathstar has constrained supply a little.

The Garrison unit disbands in a month or so...

I think I would like to pull off the construction engineers from Kusiae, but they do keep the runways repaired really quick and I have used that for some nice CAP traps every now and then, so removing them is not so clear cut.

The low AV troops can probably come off too.

If I can keep supplies up, it seems like a pretty good line...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3372
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 7:08:47 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

One thing I had to do that I didn't want to want flying NF at more than 0 range. I didn't think to convert all IJN NF to larger sized units using the A6M5-s on CVs. That would be huge, and you'll have the extra big Nick groups too, so you should be fine on that, getting decent coverage in all of the important bases flying only zero range.

I didn't think of doing this either, and to be honest I am not sure I will in June of 1944 when I could do it. But I may change my mind.

I really wanted to see how effective you can be at defending the HI if you plan for it.

Of course, it all depends where the Allies are in six months!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3373
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/1/2015 7:50:45 PM   
Lowpe

Got my turn out and about, but it may be a while before the Allies get it back to me. Sorry.

I worked on pilots, at least until I ran out of patience.

I set up some cargo ships as supply bunkers, looking to get 75K to Ponape, Kusaie and Truk. Less to Rabaul area. Singers is getting 75K plus garrison troops (ones that don't disband in 50 days), engineers, artillery, and two tank regiments for Sumatra and Indochina.

Maximum effort hauling oil and fuel from SRA now to China and Manila...I am worried about how much longer I can do it. Medan in Sumatra has planes and AA waiting and NF waiting for the eventual first attack on oil.

The Burma evacuation is going well so far. Still in Rangoon, though the ART is all moving out slowly, so I think the Burma Road is still closed. The Infantry will follow in a couple of days as the last of the troops reach Pegu from points north.

I am looking at which units I can fully transport by air: the Mountain Artillery, the Pack RF AT guns, some Mortar units that are still foot. I will be sending some of these to the CentPac/New Guinea area and want to fly some into Trinkat. Not a lot of choices.

Hiroshima is becoming the go to port in the HI -- away from spying eyes and easy to go north or south (relatively).

We have a HR on no strategic bombing in China...which is nice for me since I don't have to base fighters protecting the industry there...a boon for 44 to 45 for what I can hold on to! I don't think I would have bombed the Chinese industry anyhow, or at least not till now when my advance has peaked. Kind of changes how I will defend China...more aggressively definitely. I am not sure I like this particular rule.

I will be shutting down the last Irving S factory, bumping him down the road to the Sa. I have 80 in the pools, don't get anymore squadrons till Jan 44, this will further accelerate the Sa version with the extra cannon to perhaps November of 43. I want generous pools of the Irving Sa in case I lose a lot of production of the last generation NFs. With radar the final Irv Sa isn't that bad. Ok, she is bad no armor, no speed, but decent radar and several cannons. I will take what I can get.

I looked long and hard at the units I can fully move by Air transport: mtn art, some mortar, the pack RF AT gun units, some AAA (the 20mm machinecannons that are foot supported). Not that much, but I will make an effort to use those in the CentPac, area perhaps getting some mtn guns or mortars to Ponape, Kusaie and Truk and other spots forward. I definitely want to fly some into Trinkat.

Exciting, offensive actions this turn, lest I forget them: bombarding Car Nicobar and fleet surface sweeps there; some attacks in China killing off more stray units, two midget sub carriers out, and that is about it. Not too exciting I fear except for the Car Nicobar movement which will probably end in disaster...but at least they are well led and in the right TF numbers. Just hope the LRCAP flies...both day and night! Well the night is LRCAP Car Nicobar...I don't think it coordinates too well on a ship task force (something to experiment on).

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/1/2015 10:00:13 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3374
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 8:44:32 AM   
Spidery

quote:

We have a HR on no strategic bombing in China...which is nice for me since I don't have to base fighters protecting the industry there...a boon for 44 to 45 for what I can hold on to! I don't think I would have bombed the Chinese industry anyhow, or at least not till now when my advance has peaked. Kind of changes how I will defend China...more aggressively definitely. I am not sure I like this particular rule.

That is a generous rule for the Japanese. Not needing to protect Lanchow and Sian frees up quite a few fighters for the front lines. Keeping Lanchow, Sian and Urumchi producing even after the B-29 arrives must be quite valuable.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3375
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 8:48:33 AM   
Spidery

quote:

I am looking at which units I can fully transport by air: the Mountain Artillery, the Pack RF AT guns, some Mortar units that are still foot. I will be sending some of these to the CentPac/New Guinea area and want to fly some into Trinkat. Not a lot of choices.

At least in DBB, there are some of the independent infantry brigades that are air transportable. Means they lack firepower but they are a good chunk of AV that can be lifted in to add to defenses. For example, the 6th Ind. Infantry Brigade.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3376
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 9:40:59 AM   
obvert

quote:

Here are the defenses of Kusaie, Ponape and Truk. Nothing is where I would really like it: I would like some ART at each base, but haven't gotten the chance yet. The base forces are forward and concentrated. Forts could be a little better, but the deathstar has constrained supply a little.

I think I would like to pull off the construction engineers from Kusiae, but they do keep the runways repaired really quick and I have used that for some nice CAP traps every now and then, so removing them is not so clear cut.

It's not really a line. He doesn't have to take them. Putting divisions way out here this late seems like a waste to me. He can just leave those and go around. You also have two of the big base forces on each, Ponape and Kusaie. One is plenty.

One of the challenges is considering a really good first layer of defense as Japan and also building an even tougher second line. The Allies in 44 can just move so much more quickly and you'll end up with a bunch of great units far behind the lines. Better IMHO to just put up some medium sized roadblocks and use the KB, subs and surface forces to whittle the invasions, then have the next layer even stronger than the first.

You can buy out the destroyed units of course, but their experience will be shot. The best defense will make him want to invade but still suffer losses and potentially get bogged down. A full division makes me think, I don't need to go there. A brigade makes me think I might. Two naval guards makes me think it's easy pickins. My two cents.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3377
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 9:46:31 AM   
njp72

That is an excellent summary and so true!

Good Allied players will embrace manoeuvre warfare and side step defences which are too formidable.

A real problem for Japanese players.

quote:

quote:

It's not really a line. He doesn't have to take them. Putting divisions way out here this late seems like a waste to me. He can just leave those and go around. You also have two of the big base forces on each, Ponape and Kusaie. One is plenty.

One of the challenges is considering a really good first layer of defense as Japan and also building an even tougher second line. The Allies in 44 can just move so much more quickly and you'll end up with a bunch of great units far behind the lines. Better IMHO to just put up some medium sized roadblocks and use the KB, subs and surface forces to whittle the invasions, then have the next layer even stronger than the first.

You can buy out the destroyed units of course, but their experience will be shot. The best defense will make him want to invade but still suffer losses and potentially get bogged down. A full division makes me think, I don't need to go there. A brigade makes me think I might. Two naval guards makes me think it's easy pickins. My two cents.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3378
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 12:21:22 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidery

quote:

At least in DBB, there are some of the independent infantry brigades that are air transportable. Means they lack firepower but they are a good chunk of AV that can be lifted in to add to defenses. For example, the 6th Ind. Infantry Brigade.

Thanks.

There are also IJA B type Inf, that become divisions that can be flown like the 47th Division. They start as garrisons on the HI and other sections of the division come along as reinforcements.

Also a lot of the HQ units can be flown...

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 3379
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 12:26:02 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: njp72

That is an excellent summary and so true!

Good Allied players will embrace manoeuvre warfare and side step defences which are too formidable.

A real problem for Japanese players.

Thanks guys! First hand advice is always great!

My thought was to try and hold that line until end of 43 and then pull back...but it isn't really a line -- roadblocks, eh? Or POW camps. I am worried about Kusaie being left behind...

I have had an infantry division in the Kuriles I am pulling out now and sending to the Marianas.

My problem is that I am still a month away from a lot of land reinforcements that I need for these Islands...but maybe I should start the air evacuation now much like what I did in the Lower Solomons.

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 3380
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 12:28:35 PM   
Lowpe

Ok, the reinforcements start piling in in two weeks. Hopefully the Allies don't know this.

I am massing my shipping to move these guys out very quickly

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/2/2015 1:31:12 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3381
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 12:29:51 PM   
Lowpe

Here are some of the artillery guns Japan can transport by air:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3382
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/2/2015 12:56:38 PM   
Lowpe

Ok, here is a closer look at Mixed Regiment...IF I can, I will try to get these guys into the front line positions at Ponape and Kusaie, they can at least be air evacuated if they are bypassed.

I will try to get the Divisons back to the Marianas, Luzon area. Would be nice to have a full reserve here, somewhere.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/2/2015 1:57:00 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3383
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/3/2015 12:33:35 AM   
Lowpe

With the downtime in the game, I went ahead and updated some of my artfile mods.

One of the best is the Clouds! Too cool...thankyou modders!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/3/2015 1:33:57 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3384
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/3/2015 7:14:02 PM   
Lowpe

Oct 15, 1943

Night, great big old moon lighting everything up, except in the bad weather of the Andamans. Tanaka leads his cruiser force towards Car Nicobar, sweeping aside the enemy subs, clearing a path for the bombardment fleet following.

For once it works as planned...the carefully plotted course avoids the majority of the enemy subs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3385
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/3/2015 7:15:36 PM   
Lowpe

PT boats, of course!

With full moonlight, despite the weather, Tanaka makes short work of these guys, a clash much studied by the Admiralty...now, will the bombardment group follow?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/3/2015 8:34:23 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3386
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/3/2015 7:33:24 PM   
Lowpe

Like clockwork! Was there ever really a question? The bombardment force isn't pestered by subs nor PT boats and unleashes a wonderful bombardment on the hapless Allies. We have our special naval consult, codenamed: NYGiants, to thank for this operation. Who he is remains a mystery, but he clearly knows his stuff and the Admiralty holds him in high regard!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3387
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/3/2015 7:36:00 PM   
Lowpe

The HunterKiller group, led by the IJN's best, gets sloppy!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3388
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/3/2015 7:36:56 PM   
Lowpe

In the deep Pacific where the stars are bright...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3389
RE: Conflict Marcus Island - 3/3/2015 7:38:30 PM   
Lowpe

The second spotting of the elusive LeTriomphant. We have orders from on high to sink this ship...dare we order a deep raid in an attempt?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3390
Page:   <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Conflict Marcus Island Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI