Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Trouble getting 2.3 to run

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Trouble getting 2.3 to run Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trouble getting 2.3 to run - 3/8/2003 12:42:26 PM   
Canoerebel

Gents,

I've downloaded 2.3 three times today trying to get it to work! I download the patch, extract it from the ZIP file (in the same file that I have 2.1, 2.11, and 2.2 which all work fine). When I click the game ICON to start the game, the first menu "Play Uncommon Valor" comes up, but when I click on "Play Uncommon Valor" nothing else happens. I can hear my CD drive spinning for a few seconds, but nothing at all appears on the screen. Any ideas?

Canoerebel

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Post #: 1
- 3/8/2003 1:07:16 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

You might have a dirty lens in your CD ROM. Or the disc might be dirty.

When you click on the desk top icon you should get the screen that tells you that the game is organzing your files. Then the main menu.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2
I don't think it's the CD - 3/8/2003 1:14:38 PM   
Canoerebel

Ross,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think it's the CD. I'm not having any trouble running 2.20, it's just that 2.3 won't launch properly. When I click on the icon I get the "Play Uncommon Valor" menu, but when I click on that I do not get the "organizing your files" menu. The CD seems to be spinning briefly, but nothing happens. I can still play with 2.2, but I can't play with 2.3.

Canoerebel

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
- 3/8/2003 5:50:52 PM   
RalfBHV

Hi,

I have the same problem, and a solution for the problem.
Have you install UV from drive "D" ?
Put the UV-CD in drive "C" and its work.

Ralf

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4
That's Not it Either - 3/8/2003 8:18:16 PM   
Canoerebel

I have the 2.3 patch in the same place that I have all the other patches. So that's not the problem.

It has something to do with 2.3 execute program. The first time I downloaded the patch, I had the UV menu "play uncommon valor" open. I got an error message after the download and while installing the patch - at the very end of the process - and instructions that I'd have to restart my computer to finish installation. When I restarted, however, the installation never seemed to work. So I deleted the patch and downloaded it all over again (twice more in fact). The second and third times I didn't get that error message nor a message that I needed to restart my computer. But the problem never resolved.

I'm grasping at straws here, but the only thing unusual in the entire download process (other than the event described above) was at the beginning of each download I tried. When I clicked on the download link on the UV "Downloads" website, I got a pop up box giving me two choices (1) Open this file from its current location; or (2) Save this file to disk. I clicked on the first option a number of times but nothing happens. So I defaulted over to the second and it seemed to work fine. I downloaded the zip file and put it into the same folders that my other patches are in. When I install, I get a message that it's installed correctly, but when I click the icon the game won't start. If I then reinstall patch 2.2, it works when I click the icon. So the bug simply has to be in the 2.3 patch I'm getting, or in how my computer reads it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Canoe

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
- 3/9/2003 1:47:16 AM   
pasternakski

For what it's worth, I downloaded the patch to my desktop, extracted it to my desktop, and installed it from there. I also have UV in the default location so that the self-installer identifies the correct pathname without modification.

Worked for me (this, by the way, was the first patch TrueUpdate failed on for me - the dreaded "99" error).

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
- 3/9/2003 8:21:23 AM   
MT Melon

Hi guys

I have the same problem here. I have been able to download all the patches as they came out and had no problem running the game each time. This time I downloaded the latest patch with Trueupdate as always - received message that I was successful in installing said patch. But when trying to run the game I got as far as the Start game menu (after clicking on the desktop icon) and had no response from the disk. As Canoerebel said , the drive whirls a little then stops - the computer does not freeze up , it just does not want to run the game.
Something must be up with the latest patch - just a matter of finding out what.:confused:

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7
Still gnashing teeth.... - 3/9/2003 8:36:45 AM   
Canoerebel

Gents,

I still can't get 2.3 to execute. I spent about three hours last night and at least that today (thank goodness my wife is out of town this weekend or she would have called the local mental health folks to come get me). I've re-downloaded the patch five (!) times and tried a variety of things to get it to work. I've downloaded into the patch file, into the main UV file, onto my desktop; I've downloaded over previous downloads; I've uninstalled UV, then reinstalled, then reinstalled all patches, then tried 2.3 once again........all for naught.

I think I understand how folks go postal now. While sitting here gnashing my teeth, I noticed a bunch of squirrels outside and wondered whether we needed a squirrel eradication program. Then, suddenly, BOOM! and the computer went dead and the power went out. It was a suicide squirrel that bridged an arc on the power transformer. So instead of me getting the squirrels, they came after my house.

I'm barricaded in now with six rifled muskets, four Napoleon cannon, and a haversack full of parched corn. Matrix, please come fix my 2.3 patch.....

Sincerely,

Canoe

P.S. If and when I get 2.3 to work, I'll post a notice here. In the meantime, please keep the suggestions coming.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
- 3/9/2003 8:55:47 AM   
Mr.Frag

Basically you are saying that 2.20 has been working perfectly and 2.30 doesn't work at all if I get you right?

I assume in all your various downloads, the UVPatch230.zip file does not give you any errors when you unzip it?

I assume continuing down that line of thought that the UPPatch230.exe that is inside the the zip file runs without generating a million complaint messages?

The installer does NOT check that you gave it a valid directory location before proceeding with the installation, so it you point it to the wrong place, it is going to put the patch there, but that seems to generate a specific error (Unable to find UV data !!!) so that does not sound like you.

Without more details as to what you are running, tough to help beyond the obvious stuff. Check your video driver & directX are working fine. Try following the directions in one of the patch notes on running UV in windows mode (just to see if that helps).

There were changes made in the 32 bit colour to 16 bit colour mode switch I think to deal with windowed mode. Do you know how to check your video settings to see what mode you are running in? Try changing to the other setting (True colour vs High colour).

Please add some info as to your video information and operating system. Just because 2.2 ran fine doesn't mean that 2.3 will run fine.

One of the other silly things: check that you didn't run out of drive space during the application of the patch (gotta ask the silly questions too ;) )

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9
Replying - 3/9/2003 10:03:37 AM   
Canoerebel

Q. "Basically you are saying that 2.20 has been working perfectly and 2.30 doesn't work at all if I get you right?"

A. That's right. 2.2 still works perfectly, but if I unzip 2.3 and install the patch, the game no longer loads. If I then re-install patch 2.2, I can run that version of the game fine.

Q. "I assume in all your various downloads, the UVPatch230.zip file does not give you any errors when you unzip it?"

A. That is correct, I'm not getting any error messages.

Q. "I assume continuing down that line of thought that the UPPatch230.exe that is inside the the zip file runs without generating a million complaint messages?"

A. Correct.

Q. "The installer does NOT check that you gave it a valid directory location before proceeding with the installation, so it you point it to the wrong place, it is going to put the patch there, but that seems to generate a specific error (Unable to find UV data !!!) so that does not sound like you."

A. I'm downloading to the same place I have 2.1, 2.11, and 2.2. As mentioned previously, each of them is working fine.

Q. "Without more details as to what you are running, tough to help beyond the obvious stuff. Check your video driver & directX are working fine. Try following the directions in one of the patch notes on running UV in windows mode (just to see if that helps)."

A. I'm not sure how to check to see if my video driver and DirectX are running fine. I'm computer illiterate. I assume they are since I'm not having trouble with pre-2.30 versions of the game nor any other programs I'm running on my computer. I'll try checking the patch directions about running UV in Windows mode.

Q. "There were changes made in the 32 bit colour to 16 bit colour mode switch I think to deal with windowed mode. Do you know how to check your video settings to see what mode you are running in? Try changing to the other setting (True colour vs High colour)."

A. My monitor only goes as high as True Color 24 bit which is what I was using. I took your advice and switched to 16 bit High Color but it made no difference. The game still won't play.

Q. "Please add some info as to your video information and operating system. Just because 2.2 ran fine doesn't mean that 2.3 will run fine."

A. 24 bit True Color as set forth above, and the operating system info is set forth below.

Q. "One of the other silly things: check that you didn't run out of drive space during the application of the patch (gotta ask the silly questions too )"

A. I use WindowsME on an HP 933 mhz. My C-drive has 12.1 GB used and 25.0 GB free. The video info is listed above.

Do any of these raise red flags? Do you need more information (bear in mind that I'm computer illiterate and may not be providing the exact information you asked for).

Thanks for taking the time to aks in depth questions about my 2.30 problems.

Canoerebel

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10
- 3/9/2003 10:16:50 AM   
Mr.Frag

Hmm, WindowsME eh?

Sorry, but I skipped that one myself.

Just for the sake of something I really vaguely remember about file offsets where the optimizer padded files strangely.

Run disk defragmenter after you install the 2.30 patch BEFORE you try and run it.

Try making a copy of the Uncommonvalor.exe file after it is patched. Run the copy, not the original.

Whats the specific model of your HP ... the Pavilion's S3 driver's latest version is 2002-05-28. Might be what you need...

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?reg=&cc=&softitem=pv-4523-1&prodId=hppavilion42997&lc=en&sw_lang=en

Latest DirectX for ME can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=51608B06-AE0D-4652-B9A0-EAE0AA6AE6D7

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11
- 3/9/2003 10:59:56 PM   
RalfBHV

Have you more when one CD-drive?
What letters have your CD-drive´s?

On my PC, I have one CD-drive (D), and one CD-writer (F).
In the first time i have UV installed from my CD-writer (F). After updating to 2.30 nothings do. I put the UV-CD in my CD-drive (D) and its works.
I dont no why?

Ralf

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
problems with 2.30 - 3/9/2003 11:59:07 PM   
medicinman

Hi

I also have trouble running 2.30. I have been playing and downloading patches since 1.4 with no problems. I click on the exe file and for about 1 sec get working icon, then nothing - check background and nothing there. I downloaded and installed 2.30 with no errors or problems. I read here about the cd trick and it works. Even though I installed uv from my cd/dvd drive and have always played with the cd there, this time I placed cd into cdrw drive and bingo found cd and works. I had tried to eject cdrw after clicking on exe and was busy like maybe exe was looking for cd there.

Thanks for the tip on changing cd drives and hopefully the bug will be found. Btw I am running and AMD athlon 900 mhz with Win 98se a very stable platform:)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 13
Version 2.3 Does not run - 3/10/2003 4:11:06 AM   
Terry Kelly

I also have just downloaded the 2.3 zip file with no errors. After running the update I get the CD drive light and then nothing. I was on 2.2 which was running just fine. I thought that my CD might be bad so I uninstalled UV and reinstalled 1.0 and then applied the 2.0,2.1,2.11,2.2 which worked just fine without any problems. At this point it is not the disk or I would not have been able to reinstall and run the program at all. I used all the defaults in setting up UV so it is not a location problem. I am running an AMD XP1700+ with 512 meg ram and directx 8.1b under 98SE. I also have over 10 gig free on the C: drive where UV is installed. I think there might be a problem with the update since I can reinstall up to 2.2 without any problems. I guess I will have to stay at this level since I don't want to have to reinstall UV again. I did notice that the others who are having this problem seem to be running 98 or ME

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14
CD Writer Drive Works For Me Too - 3/10/2003 4:28:09 AM   
Canoerebel

Gents,

As suggested by others here, I tried the UV disc in my CD Writer drive and 2.3 finally works! Looks like I'm back in business. Thanks for the suggestion.

Canoerebel

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 15
- 3/10/2003 4:40:12 AM   
Mr.Frag

Ok, thats starting to sound like a problem with the SecuROM protection, not with the machines ... possibly the version change (good 'ole SONY) has made it incompatible with some CDROM drives AGAIN! :(

Nothing new here, this has been the plague of many different formats of copywrite protection. They have to do things outside of the published standards to make the CD's safe from copy folks. This ends up causing problems with older CD drives.

All because some folks are too cheap to buy the game and give the guys who spend thousands of hours coding it some beer money :mad:

Plan on spending $100 bucks every 3 years to replace your machine's CD drive, just to be able to run current software.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 16
- 3/10/2003 8:44:42 AM   
SoulBlazer

Well, my DVD drive was bought in August 98 and it's still going fine.

I also recently just bought a WONDERFULL program that makes a 'virutal CD drive' and copies all the CD-needed files to yours HD so you can just point to the CD you want to 'load' and launch the program, no need for a CD. Called GameDrive Manager from my local Best Buy for $20. Also helps with the speed of games since there's no need to do a CD check. And you can apply patches to the programs also without needing to re-insert your CD.

Best way I found to do a legit way to get around that annoying copy protection on MY own games.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 17
- 3/10/2003 9:30:44 AM   
Mr.Frag

Couldn't be bothered, I eat enough drive space for other things without keeping two copies of everything on my drives :)

Best one I have heard of for that kind of thing is Alcohol. Never tried it though as I have separate DVD & CD/RW so I just leave UV in forever and still have a spare drive for other CD's ;)

I agree with you, but I also HATE people who do not buy software which in turn drives up the price I have to pay at the store when I do buy it!

I have a CD spinny thing on my desk, packed full, 3 levels high and more stacks that don't fit in it (it's 160 CD's by itself) :D

I look at it and figure that each CD averaged out to about $100 and really have to wonder why I have this hobby :eek:

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 18
- 3/10/2003 10:27:01 AM   
SoulBlazer

Well, I also have two drives, and even MORE CD's then you do, and finally I just get sick of forever swapping CD's (I play a lot of stuff as the mood strikes me) so when I saw this program there I snapped it up. Besides, I have a 60 gig HD.....space is no issue. :D

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 19
CD defaults and 2.3 - 3/12/2003 5:56:41 AM   
Terry Kelly

I had time to try the 2.3 upgrade again today and since I also have 2 CD's with E: being a CD/DVD and F: being a CD/RW I had installed UV from the F: drive and in the past it looked for the CD in that drive at startup. With the upgrade it will access the F: drive and then stop. I moved the CD to the E: (DVD) drive and UV will now find the CD and start ok. It looks like the new update defaults to the 1st non-HD CD-drive on the system to look for the game CD. In the past the default was to look at the drive from which UV had been installed as when I put it in the E: instead of the F: drive it would not run. Well it works for now. For the next update I will try the game CD in both drives before posting.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 20
- 3/12/2003 8:18:13 AM   
Weathersfield

Just for the record, I have a CD/DVD installed as I: and a CD-RW installed as J:. I have the UV CD in J: and it works without any problems.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
- 3/13/2003 5:53:24 PM   
Fred98

The game wil not run under 2.3

I installed the game in the default directory

I loaded the game from the D drive. It was made circa July 2001.

Under patch 2.2 have been playing the game from either drive, the D drive and the CD writer – the E drive

I installed all the previous patches OK. And the game ran fine.

I installed the 2.3 patch. Now I cannot start the game.

The 2.3 patch came via email from another player as I couldn't download it.

I extracted the patch into the patch folder. Then I clicked on the patch file and it installed OK. No error messages.

But I cannot start the game.

I click on the desktop icon,
then hit "Play Uncommon Valour"
I hear the torpedo fire.
But the game will not start.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 22
- 3/13/2003 6:32:41 PM   
Raverdave

IS it possible that your patch is corrupted? I can Email you my patch if you like, just PM me your Email address.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 23
Game does not start - 3/17/2003 6:18:20 PM   
soeren

If you have a machine with more than 1 CD/DVD drive installed the game looks for the CD in the wrong drive. Try to putbthe Game CD in a different drive, than it shoul work.

Soeren

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Trouble getting 2.3 to run Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI