Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Invasion Marianas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion Marianas Page: <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/20/2015 5:35:41 PM   
JocMeister

I´m thinking: Why bother with the backdoor at Chungking when your greatest threat is about kick your front door open? You can bet your opponent right now have troops prepping for landings on Luzon and/or Mindanao. He got the Marianas almost for free so he won´t need long for the next jump.

You need to set up some proper defenses on Okinawa and Luzon/Mindanao. You need to make him fail one big landing to buy time or this game will be over before you hit 45. Or you can try and isolate his forces and bases in the Marianas and buy time that way. Not sure what of those two that are most viable though. Both are tough to do. My instinct tells me you have a better shot in the Marianas though then you will in 3-6 months...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3721
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/20/2015 5:57:46 PM   
Lowpe

Well, the thing is the Chinese troops are pretty much restricted to China.

I agree with you Joc...

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3722
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/20/2015 6:40:20 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I agree with you Joc...

Yes, but you will have to be very careful with supply starting very soon. I´m not sure how your overall supply situation are but you could end up pumping in a couple of 100k to China to maintain the Chungking offensive. Had this been early mid 42 the cost might have payed itself back. Now I don´t think so? I know next to nil about the Jap industry but you JFB keeps complaining about supply all the time!

There is also the VP perspective take take into consideration. If you do take Chungking that is a buttload of VP that could buy you a couple of months more before allied AV...

Many, many things to consider. That is what I love (and miss) about AE...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3723
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/20/2015 7:09:25 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

I agree with you Joc...

Yes, but you will have to be very careful with supply starting very soon. I´m not sure how your overall supply situation are but you could end up pumping in a couple of 100k to China to maintain the Chungking offensive. Had this been early mid 42 the cost might have payed itself back. Now I don´t think so? I know next to nil about the Jap industry but you JFB keeps complaining about supply all the time!

There is also the VP perspective take take into consideration. If you do take Chungking that is a buttload of VP that could buy you a couple of months more before allied AV...

Many, many things to consider. That is what I love (and miss) about AE...

Chungking is the biggest VP well on the map for the IJ player. And Chungking-Chengtu is the biggest VP well on the map by at least an order of magnitude - +5400 VPs for the IJ player alone, and -1200 for the Allied player... not to mention the LCUs destroyed, which in this case looks to be at least 1000 (for me it was >3000).

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3724
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/20/2015 7:13:02 PM   
Lowpe

Given the forts and the AV present I think I have a real good shot at taking the base. I can easily get 1500 AV there fairly quickly. 5 attacks to drop the forts...five to six weeks?

The supply drain won't be too huge, I don't think.

We have a house rule no strategic bombing in China...so if I can do it fairly quickly, it will be a real boon.

I also have 50+ Corps cut off and surrounded in the interior that I could also destroy.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3725
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/20/2015 7:27:10 PM   
JocMeister

Then go for the VPs. Will probably buy you a couple of months worth of allied strat bombing VPs.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3726
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/20/2015 10:00:50 PM   
Lowpe

Turn is away...we will see what happens.

Trying some night strikes, moving the KB for a strike potentially, moving a few destroyers into Pagan with 150 fighters flying CAP perhaps I can kill some planes.

Diverting troops meant for Marianas to other bases and evacuating from Kusaie, etc. Got an Air Div HQ heading for Naha, they will be able to provide torps for Daito and the surrounding bases. Started to really look at the likely advance across Indochina back thru to China and checking on forts there as well as building them on select choke points down to Singers.

In the good news department, I am still holding on the Tuang Gyi road. However, with the imminent circumventing of Moulmein, my real defence will be one hex north of Uttaradit which now has 1 1/3 divisions digging in.

I have every tanker, practically, moving oil out of Singers. Cam Ranh Bay is up to 250K oil...it seems to move east from there.

Working on not losing heart with being so spanked in the Marianas...

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3727
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 12:31:22 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 5, 1943

Night bombing bounces some bombs off a battleship at Rota, and sadly this event.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/21/2015 1:32:24 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3728
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 12:35:17 AM   
Lowpe

Allies bombard Saipan. Multiple 5" batteries knocked out, radar destroyed, severe damage to parties, no penetrating hits on the Colorado or Louisville, but they all penetrated on the destroyers.

Intel list two destroyers destroyed, and they look like they were in trouble with internal explosions, so one can hope. Sinking sounds heard.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/21/2015 2:49:17 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3729
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 12:39:10 AM   
Lowpe

And, they do it again. Some good 20cm short hits in here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3730
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 12:45:35 AM   
Lowpe

Two destroyers act as bait at Pagan...Pagan not swept...the fighters stop this first attack, but an afternoon raid, down low manages 3 hits I think on a destroyer. Note to self, if the KB goes in have a full squadron flying low cap. 5K raid. I have been doing this, but it is good to repeat oneself.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/21/2015 2:50:23 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3731
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 12:49:09 AM   
Lowpe

At first I thought the fighters were strafing...but no,they swept ahead of some Helldivers. So far so good...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3732
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 1:00:24 AM   
Lowpe

Low flying B25D1s get thru and savage the Fubuki, and then the final raid with 47 Helldivers puts her down.

My trap at Pagan costs Japan the Fubuki, but nets lots of planes. Allied sweeps of Saipan and bombardments costs me some a fair amount of planes, but Japan downed 7 P47s which isn't shabby for me. Unfortunately, his pools of those planes are deep.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3733
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 1:02:53 AM   
Lowpe

It costs me 7 Emilies, but a splinter of the overmatched defenders of Tinian are flown out. Impressive that they got a tank onboard somehow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3734
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 1:11:51 AM   
Lowpe

A closer look at the Saipan Coastal Defense unit. I will have to go back and watch to see if the heavy artillery did any good, some of it is quite large: 30 cm Howitzers and 24 cm T45 Howitzers. Nope, all damage done by the CD guns as I thought. One could hope, right.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/21/2015 2:46:30 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3735
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 5:14:20 AM   
JocMeister

Don´t let it get you down. It will get much worse before it gets any...ah...never mind!

Seriously though. Its always easy to blame yourself. "Should have done this and that". Hindsight is always easy. There are still opportunities to delay him in the Marianas. I still strongly feel that KB can rule the seas at this time. If you can drive the USN away and start working over his supply for the air and sea he will run out of supply for base expansion pretty quickly. Your opponent is unnecessarily aggressive. Use that against him!

Reading your AAR really makes me miss AE. Keep it up.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3736
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 8:32:14 AM   
obvert

quote:

It costs me 7 Emilies, but a splinter of the overmatched defenders of Tinian are flown out. Impressive that they got a tank onboard somehow.

This is something that was apparently a database error in Babes. A lot of tanks can fly!

You might have a convo with your opponent to make sure he knows that when there is a tank in a larger unit it might get flown around, and that maybe it's best not to fly M5 and Valentines to Chungking!

quote:

A closer look at the Saipan Coastal Defense unit. I will have to go back and watch to see if the heavy artillery did any good, some of it is quite large: 30 cm Howitzers and 24 cm T45 Howitzers. Nope, all damage done by the CD guns as I thought. One could hope, right.

The 30cm/24cm guns might batter his landings though. They usually only fire when troops are coming ashore. These guns are outrageously huge! Looking forward to it.

quote:

Don´t let it get you down. It will get much worse before it gets any...ah...never mind!

Seriously though. Its always easy to blame yourself. "Should have done this and that". Hindsight is always easy. There are still opportunities to delay him in the Marianas. I still strongly feel that KB can rule the seas at this time. If you can drive the USN away and start working over his supply for the air and sea he will run out of supply for base expansion pretty quickly. Your opponent is unnecessarily aggressive. Use that against him!

Reading your AAR really makes me miss AE. Keep it up.

+1

Jocke took the words out of my mouth!

This is only the beginning of the pain. Endure, resist and keep on pecking away. It suddenly dawns on a Japanese player, usually sometime in late 43, that no matter how good the defensive arrangements, the Allies will break through. This is demoralizing. Think about playing for the point ratio better than 1:2. Make sure you taking a tithe for every move.

One thing that will be a surprise to your opponent is the NF preparation you've done. Another that could go in your favor is that since he's made this breakthrough in the Pacific, maybe you'll have more time than you thought to ship oil/fuel up to the Home Islands. Get the PI absolutely ready, The Jimas, Okinawa and Amami Oshima, and any of the other closer islands that allow fighter sweeps of the HI.

Also, the closer he gets, the sooner you get kamis! Kamis early is tough for the Allies.

Before all of that though, go knock the snot out of those Allied CVs now that they're low on airframes/pilots!

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/21/2015 9:41:36 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3737
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 1:26:34 PM   
Miller

Good read this. One tip for when the inevitable CV showdown comes, make sure all your CV TFs contain less than 200 planes to minimise the chance of any co-ordination penalty. In my current game I managed to get a 700 plane mega strike to launch all as one that made it through a 500 plane CAP to do major damage to the Allies, so don't be afraid to take him on sooner rather than later in this regard. What are respective CV strengths at the moment?

< Message edited by Miller -- 3/21/2015 2:27:43 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3738
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 1:28:20 PM   
Miller

Double post deleted.

< Message edited by Miller -- 3/21/2015 2:29:04 PM >

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3739
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 1:53:10 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Good read this. One tip for when the inevitable CV showdown comes, make sure all your CV TFs contain less than 200 planes to minimise the chance of any co-ordination penalty. In my current game I managed to get a 700 plane mega strike to launch all as one that made it through a 500 plane CAP to do major damage to the Allies, so don't be afraid to take him on sooner rather than later in this regard. What are respective CV strengths at the moment?

Are you sure on that? I want to maximize my AA too, and I like what Mr. Kane did to Joc very much, and that was with a 500 plane limit. The massed AA performed very well for Mr. Kane in that fight...I think I will go re-read that particular fight.

I am struggling now with how to make the approach hopefully unseen.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3740
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:03:03 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

quote:

Are you sure on that? I want to maximize my AA too, and I like what Mr. Kane did to Joc very much, and that was with a 500 plane limit. The massed AA performed very well for Mr. Kane in that fight...I think I will go re-read that particular fight.

Yeah, and check up with Erik what he did too. He also managed some massive alpha strikes. Many of which pretty much just ignored my 2000 plane CAP... grrr.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3741
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:03:26 PM   
Lowpe

Here is the KB minus the Kaga and some CL/DD. She will be in position to merge with the KB tomorrow. One CS is steaming to meet also with 22 Rexes aboard, but probably won't make it in time.

My basic thought was to assemble the KB 19 hexes from Rota/Tinian and then move in. He may or may not spot them...

Or delay my strike, move 6 hexes from Peleliu and then the following day enter there and disband, and then on the third day strike from there as there is no search currently there. However there is search at Yap, etc...so this delays, and I am equally likely to be spotted.

This is the time for help/advice as I have all day and probably into Sunday morning to finish the turn as the Allies are away.

KB: I have lost two CVs, Allies 4.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3742
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:24:30 PM   
Miller

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, and check up with Erik what he did too. He also managed some massive alpha strikes. Many of which pretty much just ignored my 2000 plane CAP... grrr.

I think there is a glitch whereby mega CAPs need to face a few strikes before they "wake up" properly. Basically regardless of CAP settings when the first strike comes in almost all the CAP will be on standby or scrambling so will not be in a position to do much damage to the attackers. So basically pray that your first strike in the morning is huge......

Here is the combat report of the strike I mentioned in my above post, note the almost total lack of airborne fighters of my opponent.......
orning Air attack on TF, near Legaspi at 94,82

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 40 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 297
B6N2 Jill x 200
D4Y3 Judy x 234

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 68
F6F-3 Hellcat x 433

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 29 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 27 destroyed, 21 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 6 destroyed by flak
D4Y3 Judy: 35 destroyed, 12 damaged
D4Y3 Judy: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Jamestown
CV Bunker Hill, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CV Plymouth Rock, Bomb hits 1
BB Indiana
CVL Belleau Wood, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CVL Independence, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
CVL Cowpens, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CVL Monterey, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CVL Princeton, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires
DD Hutchins, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Abner Read, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Izard, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Sigourney, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Heermann
DD Hoel
DD Kimberly, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
5 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
6 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
16 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 1000'
20 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
7 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
11 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
17 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
8 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
9 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
8 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
14 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
12 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
9 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
14 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
5 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
17 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
6 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
15 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
7 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
15 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
1 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
1 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
21 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
9 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
7 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
15 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 1000'
12 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
5 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
7 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 1000'
8 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 2000'
4 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 1000'
8 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 1000'
4 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
4 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 3000'
4 x D4Y3 Judy releasing from 1000'

CAP engaged:
VF-17 with F4U-1A Corsair (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 11 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
VF-33 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 12 on standby, 16 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
VF-38 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 12 on standby, 18 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 33 minutes
VF-40 with F4U-1A Corsair (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 14 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
VF-3 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 22 scrambling)
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
VF-16 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 19 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 19000.
VF-18 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 21 scrambling)
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes
VF-71 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 21 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 46 minutes
VF-23 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 14 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 35 minutes
VF-25 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 14 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 41 minutes
VF-30 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 11 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 18000.
VF-26 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 17 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 48 minutes
VF-37 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 16 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 40 minutes
VF-60 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 17 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
VC(F)-7 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 16 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 44 minutes
VMF-111 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 9 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
VMF-121 with F4U-1A Corsair (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 11 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes
VMF-221 with F6F-3 Hellcat (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 16 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach intercep

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3743
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:28:55 PM   
Lowpe

13th Base Force arrives in 6 days and it will go to HahaJimi or Daito.

I just dropped the Armored Cars off on Daito to get something there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3744
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:31:30 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This is something that was apparently a database error in Babes. A lot of tanks can fly!

You might have a convo with your opponent to make sure he knows that when there is a tank in a larger unit it might get flown around, and that maybe it's best not to fly M5 and Valentines to Chungking!

We are playing stock scenario 6, so the error is there...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3745
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:33:00 PM   
Miller

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

We are playing stock scenario 6, so the error is there...

I think the transport version of the H8K can carry small tanks?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3746
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:34:26 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I think there is a glitch whereby mega CAPs need to face a few strikes before they "wake up" properly. Basically regardless of CAP settings when the first strike comes in almost all the CAP will be on standby or scrambling so will not be in a position to do much damage to the attackers. So basically pray that your first strike in the morning is huge......

Here is the combat report of the strike I mentioned in my above post, note the almost total lack of airborne fighters of my opponent.......

Wow, nice job. So you had 4 Task Forces that that raid launched from? All from the same hex I take it?

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/21/2015 3:34:32 PM >

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3747
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:36:52 PM   
Miller

quote:

quote:

Wow, nice job. So you had 4 Task Forces that that raid launched from? All from the same hex I take it?

Yes, each with 2CV and 1 CVL. I have to admit I think there is a slight bias built into the game that keeps Jap CV air competitive with some sort of hidden bonus.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3748
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:37:59 PM   
ny59giants

Only advice will be what I would have done as Allies. I would have two groups of PBYs on each base flying extended range (20 hexes). So, you may have to plan on a Full Speed run from just beyond this range to avoid detection. Second, start clicking on hexes between KB and Marianas to see if there is a storm front moving in that you could use for cover. Weather 'can' be your friend.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3749
RE: Invasion Marianas - 3/21/2015 2:53:51 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, each with 2CV and 1 CVL. I have to admit I think there is a slight bias built into the game that keeps Jap CV air competitive with some sort of hidden bonus.

Wel, it's more the fact that pilots are just way better than historical at the time when the Japanese had these airframes to use. The Judy is a damn good DB, much quicker than Allied counterparts. The Grace even more so, and the Jill is a very solid TB. I was still flying groups had-filed with 80exp golden boys in 45 in my longer game, and that just didn't happen in the war.

In DBB I'm hoping flak makes up for this unusual situation a bit. So far I like it a lot!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3750
Page:   <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Invasion Marianas Page: <<   < prev  123 124 [125] 126 127   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI