Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Float planes vs 4Es

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Float planes vs 4Es Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Float planes vs 4Es - 4/9/2015 7:37:49 PM   
linrom

In the thread about night bombing there is reference made about putting float planes on cap(even at night). I did notice myself that float planes can disrupt 4Es. I was wondering why this works? And isn't it gamey?

In real life combat could a float plane have any impact on a B-17?
Post #: 1
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/9/2015 7:44:09 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

The Japanese did actually use Jake (edit: Pete) FPs as last resort CAP

and they will never get a 4-E just annoy it and reduce accuracy a bit. I don't think it is gamey

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 4/11/2015 2:11:05 PM >

(in reply to linrom)
Post #: 2
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/10/2015 1:40:09 AM   
BattleMoose

There's a problem with the defensive fire from 4E bombers at night, they are crazy accurate. Sending real fighters to intercept them at night, just ends badly for the fighters. Or so goes our PBEM experience.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 3
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/10/2015 3:56:04 AM   
linrom

I can't believe they never changed the code. I was reading about this years ago.

On the other hand, the code can't handle float planes because they're not fighters?

< Message edited by linrom -- 4/10/2015 5:59:02 AM >

(in reply to BattleMoose)
Post #: 4
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/10/2015 2:21:40 PM   
m10bob

The code for nightbombing HAS been toned down since the early days, and the Japanese have good float fighters, (like the Zero)..

Here's a Pete..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/10/2015 3:28:20 PM >

(in reply to linrom)
Post #: 5
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/10/2015 2:26:28 PM   
m10bob

The Americans almost had one too!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 6
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/10/2015 6:22:51 PM   
Lowpe

The "trick" to having fighter coverage at night that doesn't get shot down in droves (prior to NF) is to choose plane models with horrendous rates of climb.

So a good fighter choice is the KAI Dinah. The Pete and Alf make for good float plane interceptors, because they hardly ever actually intercept, but their mere presence makes the bombing raid less effective. Combined with some decent AA, it is quite effective.

Is it gamey? Dunno, depends upon what the Allies are doing with night bombing would be my guess.

So: set the CAP at 10%; and you only lose a plane every now and then and you will help frustrate Allied night bombing until the Irving S comes along.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/10/2015 9:08:40 PM   
crsutton

The zero float plane was a fighter but with a top speed of only about 275 MPH, most late war medium and light bombers could outrun it. It had a fairly high service ceiling but that does not mean it was very good at fighting at high altitude. I would imagine that it suffered from the same issues that the zero fighter did so most heavies could climb above them. Still it was a fighter, and sometimes could fill a gap. As for the game, any fighter at night will disrupt bomber accuracy. Does not have to be a night fighter. Just put a unit with some obsolete crates in it. Works fine.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 8
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/10/2015 10:33:40 PM   
wdolson

There were a lot of float plane experiments that never made it into production. The Wildcatfish was one. The USN also tested a Helldiver and TBD on floats. A float plane version of the C-45 and C-47. Only one conversion of the C-47 was ever done, though I believe a number of C-45 float planes were made. Some Ju-52 were also fitted with floats. In British service both Swordfish and Spitfires were fitted with floats. The Spitfire never went into production, but there were a number of Swordfish with floats.

If you want to build plastic models of them, there are 1/48 scale models of the Wildcatfish and TBD on floats as well as a 1/24 scale model of the Spitfire floatplane. I believe there are also 1/72 scale models of all of the above in 1/72 scale.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/11/2015 1:04:55 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

There were a lot of float plane experiments that never made it into production. The Wildcatfish was one. The USN also tested a Helldiver and TBD on floats. A float plane version of the C-45 and C-47. Only one conversion of the C-47 was ever done, though I believe a number of C-45 float planes were made. Some Ju-52 were also fitted with floats. In British service both Swordfish and Spitfires were fitted with floats. The Spitfire never went into production, but there were a number of Swordfish with floats.

If you want to build plastic models of them, there are 1/48 scale models of the Wildcatfish and TBD on floats as well as a 1/24 scale model of the Spitfire floatplane. I believe there are also 1/72 scale models of all of the above in 1/72 scale.

Bill

I built an Airfix model of the Ju 52 with floats..The Germans had quite a few in Norway.

A Helldiver with floats!..Gadzooks, as if "the beast" didn't have enough teething problems..LOL

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 4/11/2015 2:14:27 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: Float planes vs 4Es - 4/11/2015 3:33:15 PM   
Anthropoid

Given that a good fighter from this era generally needed to be reasonably maneuverable, it seems to make sense that these fighters with the aeronautic equivalent of gigantic "bolas" dangling off of them didn't fair so well.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Float planes vs 4Es Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI